Awkward subwoofer install...need help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 99 Old 10-04-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. I am connecting my subwoofer to my home theater and wanted to ask which phase I should set it on? I have the 0 and 180 options. Now here's the scenario. The sub will actually be in the adjacent room, facing opposite of the mains. After reading multiple threads, its seems like it should be on the 180 setting, however I wanted to get some fresh intel and verification on that setup. Thanks

Oh and for those wondering the off question of why is it in another room, well the answer is lack of space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 Old 10-04-2009, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Let us see a drawing of the room or pics?

Bill
post #3 of 99 Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightc View Post

Hello everyone. I am connecting my subwoofer to my home theater and wanted to ask which phase I should set it on? I have the 0 and 180 options. Now here's the scenario. The sub will actually be in the adjacent room, facing opposite of the mains. After reading multiple threads, its seems like it should be on the 180 setting, however I wanted to get some fresh intel and verification on that setup. Thanks

Oh and for those wondering the off question of why is it in another room, well the answer is lack of space.

Get a copy of "The Ultimate DVD Surround Sound Sampler & 5.1 Set-Up Disc" at: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...chesky&x=0&y=0

The disc is both DVD-video (DD5.1) as well as DVD-audio.

What you want is the DD5.1 that is on the DVD-video part of the disc; which has 49 tracks of various DD5.1 tests that any DVD player can play.

There are several tracks that help with sub phase selection; perhaps tracks 30 and 31?

Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #4 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the link to the setup cd

As for a diagram, here is a top view shot of what I'm working with. Made with my expert paint skills

Hopefully this helps some.

Red blocks are the main home theater speakers/tv etc. The blue block is the subwoofer. The arrows are pointing in the firing direction.

post #5 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 01:57 PM

Actual testing is the only way to determine this.

The DVD and an SPL meter will be able to help you. More sophisticated tools could do a better job, but for a limited set of listening positions, you'll get by just fine with the DVD and an SPL meter.
post #6 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 02:57 PM

Play some material that has content within the crossover range between the mains and subs (normally around 80Hz). Try it on one setting, then try it on the other with the same material. Choose the setting that is loudest and most "full" sounding in the crossover frequency range (listening at your main seating position).

-Joel

http://www.frugalhomeav.com - Home Audio/Video Excellence on a Budget
post #7 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #8 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Lack of space is not a good enough reason to put the sub in another room. Make space for it in the room... anywhere.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #9 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Heh, I wish I could. I actually had it right next to a tower before I rearranged the room. Now there is about 6" between the door and the left speaker and about 4" between the right speaker and another door swing clearance. With the sub being about 14" wide, there leaves absolutely no option to put in the same room. I will definitely just do some old school by ear testing. Now tell me if I should change this setting or not. My receiver outputs the sub frequency at 200-150-100hz and my sub crossover can be adjusted between 180 to 50hz. I have the receiver outputting at 150hz with the sub (manual knob control) set at about 140ish hz. Not really on subject, but couldn't hurt to ask.
post #10 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Re-arrange the room back. Or, put it in the middle of the room. Or, use it as a ottoman or an end table. Just get it in the room.

The only sound you'll get from it in the other room will be reflected sound coming through the doorway. It will be so far out of phase that no phase control in the world can adjust for it. Imagine putting one of your mains in the other room. Why would you think it would be OK with your sub? As I said, make room for it *anywhere* in the room... or just get rid of it.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #11 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Re-arrange the room back. Or, put it in the middle of the room. Or, use it as a ottoman or an end table. Just get it in the room.

The only sound you'll get from it in the other room will be reflected sound coming through the doorway. It will be so far out of phase that no phase control in the world can adjust for it. Imagine putting one of your mains in the other room. Why would you think it would be OK with your sub? As I said, make room for it *anywhere* in the room... or just get rid of it.

Craig

Audyssey will fix it.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #12 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Now tell me if I should change this setting or not. My receiver outputs the sub frequency at 200-150-100hz and my sub crossover can be adjusted between 180 to 50hz. I have the receiver outputting at 150hz with the sub (manual knob control) set at about 140ish hz. Not really on subject, but couldn't hurt to ask.

You have it setup wrong. Once you get the subwoofer in the correct room you need to set the subwoofer's "crossover" as high as possible. The receiver's crossover needs to be adjusted to a setting that is appropriate for your speakers' low end capability and output in your room.

Do you have any pictures of your room's front wall?

post #13 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Quote:

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #14 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:

He claims there is no ROOM for the sub and that is why I asked for room layhout or pics.

Bill
post #15 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bill

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A photo.

Quote:

He claims there is no ROOM for the sub and that is why I asked for room layhout or pics.

OK, gotcha. Sorry. I thought you were going to tell him how to adjust his phase based upon his layout.

post #16 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Bill

Quote:

A photo.

Whatever...

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #17 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have any actual photos of the room, but I would have a spot for it but I would have to run about 25-20' of cable to get it hooked up. Besides that, there is no where to run the cable and I'm not about to leave a cable top side of the carpet ran from one side of the room to the other.

Here is just the full layout of the room with all doors, open walkways and furniture done the best I could with paint.

Like I said, with where the system is positioned and with all the walkways and doors where they are located, there is no 'clean' way to route a cable back to a sub (which I would put it next to the couch at the back of the room.
post #18 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Whatever...

OK. So what? We still need to see a better diagram or photo if we're going to relocate his sub, don't we? That's what I'm asking for.

edit: ooops, there it is!

post #19 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What is that in the front right corner? What is the light gray square? Can you put it on the right wall near that?

post #20 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

The jagged line in the top right corner is the swing path to another door. The light gray square is an end table. (and theres actually another on the right side of the couch)
post #21 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Hello everyone. I am connecting my subwoofer to my home theater and wanted to ask which phase I should set it on? I have the 0 and 180 options.

No scenario neccessary. Place the phase switch at 0 and see how you like the sound. Then change to 180 and see how that sounds. Put switch on whichever setting sounds best to YOU. I have always followed my ears and have never been disappointed or let down with the results.

With that being said, I have my sub phase set to 0 and am completely happy.
post #22 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 07:12 PM

...and with further reading put the sub in the same room. Put the sub between the bottm right corner red square andthe gray circle directly north of the red square.
post #23 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM

Fish the sub cable under the carpet at the door way (jagged line). It really isn't hard if you have a metal coat hanger.
post #24 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response however I did state that there is no way I can run a cord from the receiver to that position, or any position on an opposite wall, without leaving the cord exposed and on top of the carpet which is not an option.
post #25 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

http://skycraftsurplus.com/ultrathintvcoax25ft.aspx

post #26 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

OK. So what? We still need to see a better diagram or photo if we're going to relocate his sub, don't we? That's what I'm asking for.

edit: ooops, there it is!

So, why were you confused by bsoko asking for it? As I said, whatever...

OP. I see plenty of potential spots for placement of your sub in your room. If cabling is the issue, then 20' to 25' of cabling is a far superior solution to placing the sub in another room.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #27 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That's video cable with "F" connectors, not RCA connectors.

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #28 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:

That's video cable with "F" connectors, not RCA connectors.

One of these on either end will remedy that:

http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Male-F-...5574008&sr=1-1

Quote:

Thanks for the response however I did state that there is no way I can run a cord from the receiver to that position, or any position on an opposite wall, without leaving the cord exposed and on top of the carpet which is not an option.

Sure you can. I told you how. Fish the cable under the carpet at the doorway. Simple. Nothing to it. Done all thetime every day. You just gotta want to do it. And by as much as you seem to be resisting, I am getting the feeling you really don't want to do this right and are yanking everyones chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Fish the sub cable under the carpet at the door way (jagged line). It really isn't hard if you have a metal coat hanger.

post #29 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 PM

Here. I even went and got you easy, step by step instructions on exactly what to do:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5088296_fish...er-carpet.html

Combine this along with the cheap cable sivadselim linked to and the proper connectors I linked to and you have a complete solution. Unless you don't want a complete solution. The rest is up to you.
post #30 of 99 Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Why don't you try setting it at 180 and see how it sounds and then at 0 and see how it sounds. Also adjust the crossover and see how it sounds.

Good luck with it.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page