JTR Captivator - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > JTR Captivator
Jeff Permanian's Avatar Jeff Permanian 02:25 PM 12-17-2010
Captivator drivers finally arrived to day. Testing and shipping.

The port plug adds 4db at 15hz but takes away 4db at 20hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 03:27 PM 12-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaxtros View Post

I thought the 2011 Captivators were made with MDF? I guess we need Jeff to chime in on this.

Nope BB ...
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 03:30 PM 12-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

Captivator drivers finally arrived to day. Testing and shipping.

The port plug adds 4db at 15hz but takes away 4db at 20hz.

Nice, have you tried two plugs?
Quaxtros's Avatar Quaxtros 03:35 PM 12-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Nope BB ...

OK, but I thought I read somewhere that Jeff needed to rework the cabinets
on the 2011 Captivator, adding additional bracing etc. because of the switch from BB to MDF.
Maybe that was for the new driver?
mojomike's Avatar mojomike 03:54 PM 12-17-2010
Are you sure you weren't reading something about one of the the JTR main speakers?
Quaxtros's Avatar Quaxtros 04:20 PM 12-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Are you sure you weren't reading something about one of the the JTR main speakers?

Yes its quite possible.
Jeff Permanian's Avatar Jeff Permanian 05:49 PM 12-17-2010
Quote:
Nice, have you tried two plugs?
Sealed will definitely not work.
nube's Avatar nube 12:36 PM 12-18-2010
New specs on the JTR Captivator page, showing it IS 24mm Baltic Birch construction. As well as new sensitivity, output, and pricing! Also, I'm hoping some new pics are forthcoming since the previous one is gone.

Quote:

The Captivator is a bass reflex subwoofer with a 18″ driver that is for applications needing ultra low bass extension.

* massive excursion 18″ subwoofer (30mm xmax each way, 4″ peak to peak)
* Bass Reflex Design tuned to 20hz (15hz with port plug)
* heavily braced cabinet
* huge slot port for minimal turbulence and compression
* completely front firing for versatility
optional 4000 watt RMS, 7200 watt burst amplifier with balanced XLR inputs
Foam port plug for 15hz tuning
magnetically attached grill

The optional 4000 watts amplifier is equipped with a full digital sound processor that has been optimised to the smoothest frequence response and highest possible output with minimal distortions (input overload protection and high pass filter).

Frequency +/-4.5db* 20-120hz (half space)
Sensitivity* 91db at 20hz (100db at 60hz)
Useable Output ** 127db at 20hz (136db at 60hz)
Recommended Amplification*** up to 4000 watts RMS (continous program)
Impedance 8 ohm
Dimensions 30″x20″x22.5″ (HxWxD)
Weight 128lbs (135lbs powered)
Exterior Finish Matte Black Paint
Connectors Binding Post (powered XLR)
Construction 24mm baltic birch
Warranty 5 year Manufacturer defect (ampifier 2 year)
MSRP (each) $1499
Manufacture Direct $1199
MSRP (each) $2699 (powered)
Manufacture Direct $2399 (powered)
*1 watt, 2.83 volts, half space (outdoors on the ground)

**Obtainable output with maximum recommended amplification
gpmbc's Avatar gpmbc 01:07 PM 12-18-2010
The pic will still be the same as first shown in post #383. I'm pretty sure the 8 ohm impedance is a typo.
FOH's Avatar FOH 03:57 PM 12-18-2010
Interesting thread. Jeff is to be commended for a hell of an offering. Actually, his entire lineup is damn impressive.

Anyway, concerning HP filters, I own both the ED piece, and now the Behringer MIC 2200. No in an effort of full disclosure, I've yet to fire the piece up and use it, however the feature set at approximately the same price as the ED is interesting.

It offers a phase reversal switch, fully parametric EQ down to 10hz., and level shifting from -10 to +4, or the other way around. Anyway, the EDs knobs are so poorly marked, I mean really poorly. I like it, it's ok. I'll know a lot more after I use the Behringer piece, but at approx. the same price, I'd initially give the nod to the Behringer solely for nice, tactile, detented controls, that are properly spaced. Throw in the level shifting and balanced I/Os and it appears a winner.

Since I've got them both, I thought I throw my 2 cents in.
musicaddict's Avatar musicaddict 05:27 PM 12-18-2010
I can't decide wether to get two powered captivators with the 4000w amp or two danley th50s. I thought I saw the captivator could handle only 2400w but now I see 4000w, did the driver change to handle the more power? Does the powered version amp really output 4000watts?
cmryan821's Avatar cmryan821 05:34 PM 12-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicaddict View Post

I can't decide wether to get two powered captivators with the 4000w amp or two danley th50s. I thought I saw the captivator could handle only 2400w but now I see 4000w, did the driver change to handle the more power? Does the powered version amp really output 4000watts?

Oh to have that dilemma. The 2011 Captivator is a new design and uses an 18" driver instead of the 12" driver in the older Caps.
haskin1234's Avatar haskin1234 05:42 PM 12-18-2010
Get two Orbital Shifters and your confusion will be gone! lol
bmrowe's Avatar bmrowe 07:15 PM 12-18-2010
Does anyone know, or have any guesses been made as to the make and model of the driver in the 2011?
J's Avatar J 08:06 PM 12-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrowe View Post

Does anyone know, or have any guesses been made as to the make and model of the driver in the 2011?

I thought it was a custom eminence ?
Jeff Permanian's Avatar Jeff Permanian 09:21 PM 12-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Interesting thread. Jeff is to be commended for a hell of an offering. Actually, his entire lineup is damn impressive.
Anyway, concerning HP filters, I own both the ED piece, and now the Behringer MIC 2200. No in an effort of full disclosure, I've yet to fire the piece up and use it, however the feature set at approximately the same price as the ED is interesting.
Since I've got them both, I thought I throw my 2 cents in.

Thanks. When comparing specs, always read the fine print to make sure your comparing apple to apples.
“In Room Avg SPL” can add 6-12db or more over outdoor, ground plane measurements
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicaddict View Post

They are similar in performance although the Captivator is less than half the size, cost a bit less, 24mm baltic birch and magnetically attached fabric grill.

Yes, The Captivator handles 4000 watts continuous program and powered versions come with a 4000 watt rms (7200 watt peak) amplifier that is 95% efficient and only draws 10 amps (1/8th power, pink noise) so it can easily be used on a 15 amp circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrowe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post

I thought it was a custom eminence ?

Custom driver but not Eminence, they can't get anywhere near the travel, motor strength and power handling that my subwoofer drivers have.
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 10:25 AM 12-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by haskin1234 View Post

Get two Orbital Shifters and your confusion will be gone! lol

It's Orbit Shifter (as an owner you should know better) but the statement is spot on.
Quote:

Custom driver but not Eminence, they can't get anywhere near the travel, motor strength and power handling that my subwoofer drivers have.

I ran through some demo material last night and the speed, precision and sheer output of the dual OS's is simply amazing. Did WOTW, the big three scenes in Knowing, and for music, This is It, Jeff Beck (Live at Ronnie Scotts) and The new U2 live bluray.

If the Caps come anywhere close (and it appears they will) they will be among the best available subs at any price.
mojomike's Avatar mojomike 11:12 AM 12-19-2010
I hope to be able to confirm that possibly as soon as this Tuesday.
Quaxtros's Avatar Quaxtros 12:16 PM 12-19-2010
Quote:

Quote:

If the Caps come anywhere close (and it appears they will) they will be among the best available subs at any price.

That is exactly why I bought one.
haskin1234's Avatar haskin1234 12:28 PM 12-19-2010
[quote=RMK!;19673642]It's Orbit Shifter (as an owner you should know better) but the statement is spot on.

LOL.........I was trying to make it plural and for some reason it sounded better. I watched The Incredible Hulk (2008) for the first time last night. Was hitting 120db at reference in the LP easy and still had room to go up.......lol
Jeff Permanian's Avatar Jeff Permanian 12:39 PM 12-19-2010
With only 200 watts the Captivator can hit 108db at 2m at 20hz.
yadfgp's Avatar yadfgp 12:42 PM 12-19-2010
How does 1 go about ordering 1 of these fine subs? The JTR web site isn't set up like your typical retail site. Does the pricing on the site include shipping? Thanks
mojomike's Avatar mojomike 12:52 PM 12-19-2010
Call Jeff at 847-714-6878
Quaxtros's Avatar Quaxtros 12:52 PM 12-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

How does 1 go about ordering 1 of these fine subs? The JTR web site isn't set up like your typical retail site. Does the pricing on the site include shipping? Thanks

Calling Jeff on the phone is definitely the best way to contact him!
Quaxtros's Avatar Quaxtros 12:55 PM 12-19-2010
^^^^ LOL! You beat me to it!
Jeff Permanian's Avatar Jeff Permanian 02:02 PM 12-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

I'm a little old fashion. I actually communicate with my customers, make sure they are getting the right speakers, let them know availability, shipping options and whatnot. The next batch of Captivators will be ready January 8th. Prices do not include shipping.
FOH's Avatar FOH 06:37 PM 12-19-2010
Quote:

Thanks. When comparing specs, always read the fine print to make sure your comparing apple to apples.
“In Room Avg SPL” can add 6-12db or more over outdoor, ground plane measurements

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Even though I'm very weary of mfrs. claims, I do appreciate the heads up on being cautious with regard to specs.

I've always been impressed with the design approach, as well as what is said about your Triple 8, and Triple 12 offerings. I appreciate the brute force, large effective cone area, PA approach. I've not paid very much attention to your subs, but I have enjoyed reading anecdotal reports about their strengths, and on integrating them within one's system.

Back to being prudent about specs. I'm sure I'm not alone in being curious about this 4000 watt amp that is optional with the Captivator. I've not kept up, so I'm sorry if this has been covered, but is this a plate amp or an outboard offering? You state 4kw RMS output which is phenomenal. What is the operational voltage and line draw? Does it have a captive cord or detachable IEC cord? Perhaps a Powercon twistlock? What is the amplifier class of operation? How does one get 4kw RMS out of a 120v, 20a circuit?

In an effort of full disclosure, I'm not currently in the market for your Captivator subs. However, since the the stated output numbers are so extraordinary, the technical aspects are extremely intriguing. Unless I encounter them at a live event, I'll most likely never get the opportunity to hear them. I remember the buzz surrounding the Conquest and it's incredible output numbers.

Thanks and Good luck,
And I am sorry if these questions have been put forth already.
FOH's Avatar FOH 07:09 PM 12-19-2010
Jeff,
I did some additional looking around and saw the pic of the OS plate amp. Is this the same amplifier, or at least the same form factor?

Also, I do see that it has the twist-lock Power-con style mains connection, so that answers two of my questions immediately.

Thank you
Gooddoc's Avatar Gooddoc 07:28 PM 12-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

How does one get 4kw RMS out of a 120v, 20a circuit?

+1? Perhaps there are 2 power cords for 2 dedicated circuits? I have seen this on some power amplifiers.
kutlow's Avatar kutlow 08:19 PM 12-19-2010
Quote:

2011 Captivator:

Fabric grill that is magnetically attached:

send me 2 out and if they best my 2 Danleys I'll buy them both! Whats better those or 2 Orbital Shifters?
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop