2Likes
post #4771 of 4777 Old 01-23-2015, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRisti View Post
Hey guys, just got a pre-loved passive JTR Cap 2400 and previous owner said it was wired at 8 ohms and i'm looking for an amplifier. From what I've gathered so far, the iNuke nu3000 and ep4000 is enough for the 2400 but would like to ask if maybe there are other newer options out there.

By the way , I will be running the Cap together with my old sub which is a SVS PC13-ultra

Thanks and looking forward to contributing more here in the forums
Did you get the one that was on Ebay a couple days ago?

SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's, Klipsch RC64-II (Soon), Klipsch RS62-II (Soon), (2) XS15se subs.

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 4777 Old 01-24-2015, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRisti View Post
Thanks AJ

I'm planning to upgrade my avr to a newer model later this year, would some of the new AVR's have the sub dsp feature or do you suggest I buy an external one and hook it up with either the crown xls or ep4000

Thanks !

I can't speak for using the AVR's built in Dsp but it costs less than $100 to buy a Behringer MIC2200 which has two channels/ three bands of parametric EQ, also takes care of the High pass filter and is what I use when boosting the signal and works a hell of a lot better than my Rotel preamp for this purpose, Someone else may chime in on the merits of your AVR but I believe the MIC2200 does a great job. Do you have an omnimic to measure frequency response? Have you got the ability to measure frequency response? I just moved house and had little option with sub placement. To give an example, prior to applying EQ to the Caps the bass was lacking refinement it was very boomy in the room I have. After tailoring the frequency response using a Dayton V2 omnimic with my laptop and adjusting the PEQ settings to achieve the flattest line possible I now have tonnes of clean, plant flapping output. Prior to EQ I had a peak of around +15-25dB between the 45-70Hz frequency range and a null around the 70-100Hz range which is now within +5dB all the way between 15-100Hz after EQ applied. In real terms the difference is night and day and as great as the Cap is (like all subs) without tailoring the EQ properly it's performance won't be optimal.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #4773 of 4777 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
Old Soul

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
not sure but i did get my JTR caps on the bay.

Thanks for your replies, i thin i might be going with the ep4000 and pairing it with the mic2200
post #4774 of 4777 Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Have you got dual Caps? I thought you had a single plus an SVS? I'm not sure how the SVS will go paired with the Cap as I fear the SVS will be left behind in performance capability and may struggle to make both work in harmony? I'm not even sure the best way to go about EQ (maybe someone else has a better suggestion than the one I'm about to give)? Normally you would EQ both subs at the same time but with two different subs of differing performance capabilities well it's not something I've done before. Not saying it can't be done but........... Maybe best to EQ the Cap, have a listen see what you think (write down what the settings are) then try and EQ with the SVS at the same time. If you don't think it works then you've got your EQ done for the single Cap already and a benchmark as to what the bass sounds like with the just the Cap prior to inclusion of the SVS. What are you using to measure frequency response?

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #4775 of 4777 Unread Today, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Put the lesser sub near or closer to the MLP and level match the subwoofers. Try a few movies and if their is a problem, it will become obvious.
post #4776 of 4777 Unread Today, 11:08 PM
Old Soul

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes just 1 Cap. In light of the SVS getting left behind by the Cap, I might just move the SVS to another room and buy another Cap if i feel that the bass is lacking.

My dedicated room is just around 320 square feet , do you think 1 cap is enough or should i just go with 2 from the get go

My buddy will be helping me with the frequency response so i'm not too what he's using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post
Have you got dual Caps? I thought you had a single plus an SVS? I'm not sure how the SVS will go paired with the Cap as I fear the SVS will be left behind in performance capability and may struggle to make both work in harmony? I'm not even sure the best way to go about EQ (maybe someone else has a better suggestion than the one I'm about to give)? Normally you would EQ both subs at the same time but with two different subs of differing performance capabilities well it's not something I've done before. Not saying it can't be done but........... Maybe best to EQ the Cap, have a listen see what you think (write down what the settings are) then try and EQ with the SVS at the same time. If you don't think it works then you've got your EQ done for the single Cap already and a benchmark as to what the bass sounds like with the just the Cap prior to inclusion of the SVS. What are you using to measure frequency response?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page