JTR Captivator - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 105Likes

Old 01-28-2016, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Nice review Jim. Another kickass turn-key gear from JTR.. Imagine what the 218HT brings to the table..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Nice read that makes me want to buy at least 2. The bard of boom strikes again.
Do it Rob.. That would bring some heavy lifting and mass to your suspended HT. How fun is that! When I talked to Jeff about adding subs upfront with my 215's. He suggested to stick with vented. 1400, 118HT, or 218HT or 215 Captivator.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Do it Rob.. That would bring some heavy lifting and mass to your suspended HT. How fun is that! When I talked to Jeff about adding subs upfront with my 215's. He suggested to stick with vented. 1400, 118HT, or 218HT or 215 Captivator.
Are you going to add more woofage than what you already have ....you've got 4 S2's already if I remember correctly right?

MY GEAR
Onkyo TX-NR5010 | Oppo BDP-103 | KEF Q Series Speakers | JTR Captivator 2400 | Rythmik FV15HP | MiniDSP 2x4 (x2) | Dual Crowson Shadow-8 Tactile Motion Actuators | Dual Buttkicker LFE's | ButtKicker BKA1000-N Power Amp (x2) | Epson 5030ub Projector | Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV | Darbee Darblet | SeymourAV 120" 16:9 Retractable AT Screen
Old 01-28-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Are you going to add more woofage than what you already have ....you've got 4 S2's already if I remember correctly right?
No.. I had the thought in mind at first. But I don't know what I was thinking cause I have a lot of woofage already. Especially since my HT area is on a suspended deck. So instead, I decided to upgrade to ATMOS. A more logical approach. Now, my 4 slanted 8's will go up to the ceiling. And instead of more woofage, I ordered 4 210RT's in place for my surrounds. Gonna experiment with full range surrounds with ATMOS..
Old 01-28-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2499 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
No.. I had the thought in mind at first. But I don't know what I was thinking cause I have a lot of woofage already. Especially since my HT area is on a suspended deck. So instead, I decided to upgrade to ATMOS. A more logical approach. Now, my 4 slanted 8's will go up to the ceiling. And instead of more woofage, I ordered 4 210RT's in place for my surrounds. Gonna experiment with full range surrounds with ATMOS..
What are you going to use for a processer to be able to run all seven channels full range with LFE content sent to the surrounds?
That's going to be friggin awesome by the way! I can only dream about having a space large enough to do what you're doing rhed!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 59
^^ Yeah I agree ...that's gonna to be pretty damn awesome!

MY GEAR
Onkyo TX-NR5010 | Oppo BDP-103 | KEF Q Series Speakers | JTR Captivator 2400 | Rythmik FV15HP | MiniDSP 2x4 (x2) | Dual Crowson Shadow-8 Tactile Motion Actuators | Dual Buttkicker LFE's | ButtKicker BKA1000-N Power Amp (x2) | Epson 5030ub Projector | Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV | Darbee Darblet | SeymourAV 120" 16:9 Retractable AT Screen
Old 01-28-2016, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
What are you going to use for a processer to be able to run all seven channels full range with LFE content sent to the surrounds?
That's going to be friggin awesome by the way! I can only dream about having a space large enough to do what you're doing rhed!
Thanks bro.. I'm still shopping. I bought a Pioneer SC-97 and a really low price at Magnolia .Didnt open it yet. Though I'm thinkin of returning it and just jump on to a 7702mkII. But, I don't want to spend too much on a processor too. Cause, well, it is 2016 and new models will start rolling in. So jus get one to get me goin.and wait till the 2016 models to come out. But I did get another 3000dsp.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks bro.. I'm still shopping. I bought a Pioneer SC-97 and a really low price at Magnolia .Didnt open it yet. Though I'm thinkin of returning it and just jump on to a 7702mkII. But, I don't want to spend too much on a processor too. Cause, well, it is 2016 and new models will start rolling in. So jus get one to get me goin.and wait till the 2016 models to come out. But I did get another 3000dsp.

How are you going to run all seven channels full range and route LFE content to all seven channels too? I don't think there's anyway to do that with a standard AVR. You might need to put a HTPC in your signal chain too and use Jriver.

Last edited by jbrown15; 01-28-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How are you going to run all seven channels full range and route LFE content to all seven channels too? I don't think there's anyway to do that with a standard AVR. You might need to put a HTPC in your signal chain too and use Jriver.
Well for starters, I've had my 215's set at large for awhile. And even without bass boosting on the 12000 dsp. There is tons of bass.. Believe me on this one..
I know my Pioneer allows to set speakers to large and LFE goes to those channels if "no" to sub is selected. But, if one selects yes to subs, the AVR will just route the LFE to the subs at the xover point desired. One thing good about that too is if one has true FR speakers, it allows you to select a very low HP. In my case 50hz is my desired xover point if I engage the subs, The only way to have all LFE routed to speakers and subs if "plus sub" is selected in the AVR. Though I only use that settings for music if I wanna go all out Bassotronics.. I'm only gonna use the avr for signal only. Every speaker will be on a external amp using the pre outs not the avr. Inuke 12000 dsp to run the L/R 215RT, a single channel from a 6000 dsp for the center 215RM, 2X 3000 dsp to run the 210RT surround channel, and I might just get a NU6000 to run the 4 Slanted 8's for ATMOS duty. Which of course those will be set as small. But if I keep the sc97, I might just use the built in amp in the avr just for the ATMOS duty speakers. I've been jus using my 215 LCR for full range duty with plenty of LFE coming out from them. While my S2's remain sleeping. The only time I engage my subs is for music or if I know it's a heavy bass movie. But must of the time is just the 215's doing everything. Can't wait till my 210's arrive. Will run all channels FR and the ATMOS speakers to small without subs. Just to see how it pans out. I bet those 210's put some huge amount of LFE too. Oh, and this time I'm just gonna let the avr or the pre pro do all the EQ and calibration. That means press auto and let it rip. Then adjust low frequency to my liking via dsp and/or signal output.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well for starters, I've had my 215's set at large for awhile. And even without bass boosting on the 12000 dsp. There is tons of bass.. Believe me on this one..
I know my Pioneer allows to set speakers to large and LFE goes to those channels if "no" to sub is selected. But, if one selects yes to subs, the AVR will just route the LFE to the subs at the xover point desired. One thing good about that too is if one has true FR speakers, it allows you to select a very low HP. In my case 50hz is my desired xover point if I engage the subs, The only way to have all LFE routed to speakers and subs if "plus sub" is selected in the AVR. Though I only use that settings for music if I wanna go all out Bassotronics.. I'm only gonna use the avr for signal only. Every speaker will be on a external amp using the pre outs not the avr. Inuke 12000 dsp to run the L/R 215RT, a single channel from a 6000 dsp for the center 215RM, 2X 3000 dsp to run the 210RT surround channel, and I might just get a NU6000 to run the 4 Slanted 8's for ATMOS duty. Which of course those will be set as small. But if I keep the sc97, I might just use the built in amp in the avr just for the ATMOS duty speakers. I've been jus using my 215 LCR for full range duty with plenty of LFE coming out from them. While my S2's remain sleeping. The only time I engage my subs is for music or if I know it's a heavy bass movie. But must of the time is just the 215's doing everything. Can't wait till my 210's arrive. Will run all channels FR and the ATMOS speakers to small without subs. Just to see how it pans out. I bet those 210's put some huge amount of LFE too. Oh, and this time I'm just gonna let the avr or the pre pro do all the EQ and calibration. That means press auto and let it rip. Then adjust low frequency to my liking via dsp and/or signal output.
So you're saying that right now your center channel gets a full range signal plus LFE content? I don't think that's possible, wasn't that the whole reason why Rob had to get an additional processor for his 215 LCR setup? I don't think there's anyway to get a full range signal with LFE to all seven speakers from any AVR around.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So you're saying that right now your center channel gets a full range signal plus LFE content? I don't think that's possible, wasn't that the whole reason why Rob had to get an additional processor for his 215 LCR setup? I don't think there's anyway to get a full range signal with LFE to all seven speakers from any AVR around.
No? Rob took out the additional processor a while ago. And just using the Full Range setting on his 7702. And he says it sounds exactly the same thing when he had it. Carp too.. Maybe you just need to get true full range speakers and experiment yourself.. Lol.. I kid..
Old 01-29-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No? Rob took out the additional processor a while ago. And just using the Full Range setting on his 7702. And he says it sounds exactly the same thing when he had it. Carp too.. Maybe you just need to get true full range speakers and experiment yourself.. Lol.. I kid..

I don't have any speakers right now!.....LOL

Really? Wow that's pretty cool that you can now run the LCR's full range and get LFE content too, I wasn't aware of that. Carp isn't running a 215 for his center channel though, doesn't he still use a 212HT?
Old 01-29-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't have any speakers right now!.....LOL

Really? Wow that's pretty cool that you can now run the LCR's full range and get LFE content too, I wasn't aware of that. Carp isn't running a 215 for his center channel though, doesn't he still use a 212HT?
WHAT!! No speakers? What you up to there bro.. Must be something good.. Haha..
I think if I remember, he got the RM.. Oh no that's reef. Btw, one thing I like about the RM is its like a sealed enclosure. So, I don't have any HP applied to it. The RM is one of my favorite speaker..

Last edited by rhed; 01-29-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
WHAT!! No speakers? What you up to there bro.. Must be something good.. Haha..
I think if I remember, he got the RM.. Oh no that's reef. Btw, one thing I like about the RM is its like a sealed enclosure. So, I don't have any HP applied to it. The RM is one of my favorite speaker..
Yeah we moved into a new place back in July and our new place has a smaller HT room so I'm changing my setup around, still haven't really figured out what I'm going to do. So there was a local AVS member in Seattle that wanted my setup, so we made a deal and I drove everything down to him a couple weeks ago. I'm still a couple months away from getting anything together which kind of sucks....lol
Old 01-29-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah we moved into a new place back in July and our new place has a smaller HT room so I'm changing my setup around, still haven't really figured out what I'm going to do. So there was a local AVS member in Seattle that wanted my setup, so we made a deal and I drove everything down to him a couple weeks ago. I'm still a couple months away from getting anything together which kind of sucks....lol
Wait so you moved to Washington? Cause, I go there every 4th of July to visit and and celebrate with family up there at Renton. Will be goin up this coming 4th too..
Btw, Jeffs new line of HTR's seems intriguing. Even his RT line of course. Just wanted to put that out there . And I know you'll have the lfe part covered with your diy skills..

Last edited by rhed; 01-29-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 494
I agree with you rhed, the RT speakers are really nice! One of my favorite speakers that I have ever heard really. I had a chance to listen/tune them in 7channelfreak's theater.
rhed likes this.

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 01-29-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wait so you moved to Washington? Cause, I go there every 4th of July to visit and and celebrate with family up there at Renton. Will be goin up this coming 4th too..
Btw, Jeffs new line of HTR's seems intriguing. Even his RT line of course. Just wanted to put that out there . And I know you'll have the lfe part covered with your diy skills..

No the guy that bought my speakers is in Washington, although I only live 5mins from the Washington border crossing. I do like the 210RT's but I would need a low profile center channel, to bad Jeff couldn't make a 10" deep low profile 210RM.

For subs I'll actually have RA's new Gamma 21's. I'll start with a pair and maybe add a third.
countryWV likes this.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No the guy that bought my speakers is in Washington, although I only live 5mins from the Washington border crossing. I do like the 210RT's but I would need a low profile center channel, to bad Jeff couldn't make a 10" deep low profile 210RM.

For subs I'll actually have RA's new Gamma 21's. I'll start with a pair and maybe add a third.
Jeff is pretty good on customizing speakers. The recent customs he did was a low profile slanted 8's. He custom those for stoked and someone else on the board. Anyway I wouldn't doubt that could come up with a custom 210RM if you talked with him. That btw, would be a killer setup with those killer subs..
Old 01-29-2016, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Yup, it was a whole lotta equipment and connections that produced essentially the same sound as just running the LCR's full range. I'm a fan of the KISS principle for audio (and life).

Oh yeah, your new setup is going to be EPIC!

Opinions are not facts.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup, it was a whole lotta equipment and connections that produced essentially the same sound as just running the LCR's full range. I'm a fan of the KISS principle for audio (and life).

Oh yeah, your new setup is going to be EPIC!

Wow so you really can run the LCR's full range and send the LFE signal to them just off of your AVR? Will it allow you to run the surrounds full range with LFE content sent to the surrounds too?

That would be awesome!
gene4ht likes this.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Wow so you really can run the LCR's full range and send the LFE signal to them just off of your AVR? Will it allow you to run the surrounds full range with LFE content sent to the surrounds too?

That would be awesome!

I use an SSP (Marantz AV7702) and yes, I can run any on my 11 speakers as full range (I only run the LCR's full range) and with subs set to none, the bass will be re-directed as appropriate to the full range speakers. Most AVR's can do the same.

So in my case, I've got 6 fairly robust 15's across the front producing bass (3 of them over 5' off of the floor). I've found that is just about enough.
rhed and turbojohngt like this.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use an SSP (Marantz AV7702) and yes, I can run any on my 11 speakers as full range (I only run the LCR's full range) and with subs set to none, the bass will be re-directed as appropriate to the full range speakers. Most AVR's can do the same.

So in my case, I've got 6 fairly robust 15's across the front producing bass (3 of them over 5' off of the floor). I've found that is just about enough.

Hmmm you sure about that? I thought the large majority of AVR's will only send the LFE content to the left and right speakers even if the others were set to full range?

Maybe the newest crop of AVR's will now allow you to send LFE signal to more than just the L&R speakers now?

Of course I haven't really been paying attention to what's going on with AVR's for the last year, I just remember when you first got your 215's you couldn't send LFE to all three through your AVR.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be awesome!
Yes, like Rob said, most avr and pre pro will allow to set all speakers small or large. And when you set to "large" (even with the surrounds set to large). And "no" or "none" to subs all in the avr or pre. All LFE signal will get directed to the speakers set large. A external amp or amps is recommended though. Or them true full Rangers will suck the life out of the power from the avr..lol. You need some kind of EQ or dsp to increase the bass to each liking though if your a bass junkie. That's why the Inukes with dsp comes in so handy. One can tailor to each taste on the fly through the Inukes dsp program. But the RT's out the box throws out lots of LFE already without boosting.
RMK! likes this.

Last edited by rhed; 01-29-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm you sure about that? I thought the large majority of AVR's will only send the LFE content to the left and right speakers even if the others were set to full range?

Maybe the newest crop of AVR's will now allow you to send LFE signal to more than just the L&R speakers now?

Of course I haven't really been paying attention to what's going on with AVR's for the last year, I just remember when you first got your 215's you couldn't send LFE to all three through your AVR.
Remember now it's only signal. I've seen the 15's on my center channel RM dance like crazy on the opening scene of EOT. That was crazy sh*t.. Lol
Old 01-31-2016, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:

No, I'm not sure and my 3 year old Denon 2113CI (family room SS system) won't allow setting the Center Channel or Surrounds to large so maybe this is only possible on higher end AVR's or SSP's.

Actually, when I got the 215RT I had a SSP (Integra 80.3), not an AVR and it was Jeff's recommendation to mix the LFE channels into the LCR's, add an HP filter and have DSP capabilities on all channels including the LFE. Great idea and it worked but as Rod said, I am just as happy running the LCR's Full Range without all of the extra hardware and cables in the signal chain and, I'm fine with level matched bass.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 02-01-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, I'm not sure and my 3 year old Denon 2113CI (family room SS system) won't allow setting the Center Channel or Surrounds to large so maybe this is only possible on higher end AVR's or SSP's.

Actually, when I got the 215RT I had a SSP (Integra 80.3), not an AVR and it was Jeff's recommendation to mix the LFE channels into the LCR's, add an HP filter and have DSP capabilities on all channels including the LFE. Great idea and it worked but as Rod said, I am just as happy running the LCR's Full Range without all of the extra hardware and cables in the signal chain.
I have a sneaking suspicion that it's only newer high end AVR's that will allow you to run all of the speakers set to large and send LFE content to them. I've had a couple middle of the line Denon's and a five year old Pioneer Elite and it would only send LFE content to the left & right speakers when they were set to large but not my center channel.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that it's only newer high end AVR's that will allow you to run all of the speakers set to large and send LFE content to them. I've had a couple middle of the line Denon's and a five year old Pioneer Elite and it would only send LFE content to the left & right speakers when they were set to large but not my center channel.
I suspect you are correct but then most (99.999%) will not have full range surrounds and if they do, they won't be trying to drive them with an AVR. What rhed (Rod) is doing is pretty much unprecedented. I do recall one guy who had 7 Revel Salons as his base channel speakers. That was before heights/wide and Atmos.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I suspect you are correct but then most (99.999%) will not have full range surrounds and if they do, they won't be trying to drive them with an AVR. What rhed (Rod) is doing is pretty much unprecedented. I do recall one guy who had 7 Revel Salons as his base channel speakers. That was before heights/wide and Atmos.
I know I can't wait to read some of his feed back on his setup once he has it up and running, I'm love to see some REW measurements of just all seven speakers running full range full tilt!....lol

I really really wish I could make some new 210RT's work in my new room.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well the JTR speaker bug has bit again. Two Cap 1400s just showed up to complete the front sound stage with the T12s!

Any thoughts on speaker/sub placement or orientation?

I currently have an entry level sony receiver that does not let me customize the EQ curve. I do have an SPL meter at my disposal and am wondering how people on here would implement a house curve. After running EQ, would you raise the volume knob on the back of the Caps, bump up db via the receiver or something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160202_122734.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1225625  
Old 02-02-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneric View Post
Well the JTR speaker bug has bit again. Two Cap 1400s just showed up to complete the front sound stage with the T12s!

Any thoughts on speaker/sub placement or orientation?

I currently have an entry level sony receiver that does not let me customize the EQ curve. I do have an SPL meter at my disposal and am wondering how people on here would implement a house curve. After running EQ, would you raise the volume knob on the back of the Caps, bump up db via the receiver or something else?
Nice looking set-up. I like the placement of L+sub+C+sub+R

You can use the LF cut/boost knob to boost the low end.
Cyneric likes this.

Chris

FS: D-Sonic M2 1500 3 channel amp Housed in 7 Ch Chassis
................ Price Lowered .................
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...l#post43160266

Last edited by countryWV; 02-02-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here