JTR Captivator - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 105Likes

post #4981 of 4983 Old 02-02-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneric View Post
Well the JTR speaker bug has bit again. Two Cap 1400s just showed up to complete the front sound stage with the T12s!

Any thoughts on speaker/sub placement or orientation?

I currently have an entry level sony receiver that does not let me customize the EQ curve. I do have an SPL meter at my disposal and am wondering how people on here would implement a house curve. After running EQ, would you raise the volume knob on the back of the Caps, bump up db via the receiver or something else?

You would need a mic and software along with a dsp to tune your setup. A house curve is what a person perceives to be a flat response regardless of what measuring shows. For example, if you were to tune flat, the low end would sound a lot less in spl than say 40-60hz. Boost the low end up and it might sound better to you. Everybody is different.

Simply turning the gain up on the sub is just adding more spl in the sub's entire bandwidth, and if you have some major peaks, they would become even more of an issue.

I'd say turn the gain up anyway!
Cyneric likes this.

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 4983 Old 02-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Old Soul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 6
For those with the cap1400 , do i need the 12v trigger to receiver to turn off the sub ? How does the auto feature work on this amp

Thanks !
post #4983 of 4983 Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRisti View Post
For those with the cap1400 , do i need the 12v trigger to receiver to turn off the sub ? How does the auto feature work on this amp

Thanks !

No, you don't need a 12v trigger. The amp will sense the signal voltage on the input coming from your receiver or SSP. When there is no signal for a set amount of time, the amp will turn off until it detects signal again.
APRisti likes this.
post #4984 of 4983 Old 02-11-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneric View Post
Well the JTR speaker bug has bit again. Two Cap 1400s just showed up to complete the front sound stage with the T12s!

Any thoughts on speaker/sub placement or orientation?

I currently have an entry level sony receiver that does not let me customize the EQ curve. I do have an SPL meter at my disposal and am wondering how people on here would implement a house curve. After running EQ, would you raise the volume knob on the back of the Caps, bump up db via the receiver or something else?
Only way to get them placed properly for good sound quality is to measure. You might get lucky and have a good result with them placed for aesthetics on the front stage, but very likely not.

To put in a house curve, one option would be to put a miniDSP in the chain. You can boost the low end below 40 Hz a couple of different ways. This will have the benefit of increasing impact on movies without muddying things up with music/upper bass.
Cyneric likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

taboola here