JTR Captivator - Page 169 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 153Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5041 of 5050 Old 02-12-2017, 09:33 PM
Member
 
jrittz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Paw Paw, MI (near Kalamazoo, MI)
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've sent several messages to Jeff... First was my mock-up of it on the 22.5" side, the second was correction with the next one on the 20.5" side... I hope he doesn't think I'm crazy with all this email I've been sending him.

I tried to explain it to him and then he sent me the pics. I respect the design and work he has put into it thus far but, I'll have to defer to everything I've recently brought to his attention via email/this thread.
jrittz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5042 of 5050 Old 02-12-2017, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Peterc613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Van Nuys, CA
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrittz View Post
Honestly, I almost made a fairly large mistake as well...

The driver side should be on the top, not on the side. It should be on the 20.5" face. This way you can lay it on its side and get the shortest height. Putting it on the 22.5" side would still restrict the ultimate versatility.

This is the corrected mock-up.

What I'd really like is a Cap 4000ULF that fits behind my sofa!


BassMojo likes this.
Peterc613 is offline  
post #5043 of 5050 Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM
Member
 
jrittz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Paw Paw, MI (near Kalamazoo, MI)
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Ok so I spoke with Jeff and he explained to me that having the drivers face the MLP/center of the room would cause issues with room mode and cause nulls in the mid bass area. He explained everything to me well enough where I am comfortable with getting then as designed (end firing).


So as much as my design idea made sense to me, it doesn't make sense from a scientific mumbo jumbo stand-point.
jrittz is offline  
 
post #5044 of 5050 Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM
Member
 
jrittz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Paw Paw, MI (near Kalamazoo, MI)
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
What would two JTR 2400's require as far as power is concerned? I ran one dedicated 110v 20amp circuit to my subwoofer locations. Will this be enough? Does anybody know what the power requirement of one of these 2400W RMS amplifiers takes?

Is this the page to the amplifier used for this particular model? http://www.speakerpower.net/store/p27/SP1-2400-HT.html

If it is, it's 8A requirement which means, luckily I ran a 20amp (12ga.) circuit because a 15amp circuit may have worked but would have been at the upper limit.
jrittz is offline  
post #5045 of 5050 Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Squamish BC
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrittz View Post
What would two JTR 2400's require as far as power is concerned? I ran one dedicated 110v 20amp circuit to my subwoofer locations. Will this be enough? Does anybody know what the power requirement of one of these 2400W RMS amplifiers takes?

Is this the page to the amplifier used for this particular model? http://www.speakerpower.net/store/p27/SP1-2400-HT.html

If it is, it's 8A requirement which means, luckily I ran a 20amp (12ga.) circuit because a 15amp circuit may have worked but would have been at the upper limit.
I spoke to Jeff as well as Speaker power about this exact thing this past week regarding my S-1 which uses the same amp. Jeff stated an average of 10amps, where speakerpower said up to 27amp peak. I'm getting an electrician here tomorrow for a solution as all three outlets i have run off the same 15amp breaker.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #5046 of 5050 Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
Member
 
jrittz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Paw Paw, MI (near Kalamazoo, MI)
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
I spoke to Jeff as well as Speaker power about this exact thing this past week regarding my S-1 which uses the same amp. Jeff stated an average of 10amps, where speakerpower said up to 27amp peak. I'm getting an electrician here tomorrow for a solution as all three outlets i have run off the same 15amp breaker.
27a? That has to be very short term... that would exceed anybody's outlets if it was anything other than quick peaks. 10a sounds better, the back of the amp has a screen printed 8A next to the power outlet... so even if it is 10a, I'm lucky to have nothing but 4 outlets tied to one 20a circuit exclusively for subs.

Good luck, hope that doesn't run too much or take too much demo to get the correct circuit(s) run.

Your situation is likely to be true for most people. I think the standard not too long ago was 14ga. 15a outlets.
jrittz is offline  
post #5047 of 5050 Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM
Senior Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Squamish BC
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrittz View Post
27a? That has to be very short term... that would exceed anybody's outlets if it was anything other than quick peaks. 10a sounds better, the back of the amp has a screen printed 8A next to the power outlet... so even if it is 10a, I'm lucky to have nothing but 4 outlets tied to one 20a circuit exclusively for subs.

Good luck, hope that doesn't run too much or take too much demo to get the correct circuit(s) run.

Your situation is likely to be true for most people. I think the standard not too long ago was 14ga. 15a outlets.
Yes very short term peak draw. Not even sure if the Speakerpower amps have caps to deal with those peak demands or moments, my guess would be yes. The stored energy in the caps would reduce draw on the outlet i think.

Last edited by indebtbassfreak; Yesterday at 10:31 PM.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #5048 of 5050 Old Today, 02:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Yes very short term peak draw. Not even sure if the Speakerpower amps have caps to deal with those peak demands or moments, my guess would be yes. The stored energy in the caps would reduce draw on the outlet i think.
He'll find out the first time he fires them up and the lights go out, then he gets that random call from the electric company asking if he needs assistance.

Everyone calls the electric company when power goes out, but when they start calling, then you know you messed up.
<Vibe> is online now  
post #5049 of 5050 Old Today, 03:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Docethic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Vibe> View Post
He'll find out the first time he fires them up and the lights go out, then he gets that random call from the electric company asking if he needs assistance.

Everyone calls the electric company when power goes out, but when they start calling, then you know you messed up.
Whach you talking about Willis?
Docethic is online now  
post #5050 of 5050 Old Today, 07:45 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docethic View Post
Whach you talking about Willis?
Just saying, 1.21 gigawatts of subwoofer might not play nice with that 15amp breaker.
<Vibe> is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off