post #151 of 4766 Old 12-19-2009, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa View Post

Just out of fantasy, RMK, what move could you or would you make in this SPL race with fugueness

First of all, I'm not sure Fugueness is aware of the contest as that description was my way of poking fun at our mutual overkill approach to home audio. With the Terraform XL's, Fugueness is moving into uncharted waters for commercial bass makers and I look forward to hearing/feeling the result.

While this is all good fun, I am at the point where my system is capable of generating LFE that could compromise the structural integrity of my home. It may be time to put the pipe down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 4766 Old 12-24-2009, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone know the reason why the captivator changed in size and tunning from the previous generation?

I believe the original captivator was 10" taller, 4" wider and tuned to 12hz.

Wonder what are the performance trade off's for the smaller cabinet and even maybe a different driver?
post #153 of 4766 Old 12-24-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The older model was bigger, more expensive and used a 15" driver vs. the 12" in the newer model. The older one would begin to roll off above 70Hz I believe. Not good for people who use T8's.
post #154 of 4766 Old 12-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

With all of the request he has had lately, Jeff, is going to experiment with 4 growlers in room to see what kind of performance he can get. "+120db-125db 20hz"
post #155 of 4766 Old 12-24-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With all of the request he has had lately, Jeff, is going to experiment with 4 growlers in room to see what kind of performance he can get. "+120db-125db 20hz"

Awesome, it will be interesting to see what they can achieve at 20Hz.
post #156 of 4766 Old 12-24-2009, 09:24 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Do you mean 4 Caps in a room at 20hz?

PRO-60X5FD
PRO-70X5FD
post #157 of 4766 Old 12-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

pintri,

Yes that is correct, growlers.

If you go over to Jeff's forum, he replied to someones answer to the possibility of using growlers in an HT setup.

Jeff mentioned that he will experiment to find out the capabilities of multiple growlers in a room, he's anticipating those numbers.

Im very intrested on the performance of four captivators. He has mentioned several times....that for him that is the "ultimate setp"

I for one would like to see some numbers and frequency response of the captivator. I know its not the end all be all of the performance of this sub, just like to get a rough idea.

I have seen the youtube video of 6 growlers and 2 triple8 filling a gymnasium with sound, kids grabbing their chests. I believe that maybe Jeff is referring to the same feeling if you were to place 4 captivators in a room.
post #158 of 4766 Old 12-24-2009, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

The SVS-AS-EQ1 will do HP filtering and Auto EQ via Audyssey.

You will need an amp and the QSC and Crest are options. Berringer 2500 is a less expensive option that many use.

Agreed, the HP is a safety net rather than a necessity and there are many ways to do HP filters.

Are you sure the as-eq1 does hp filtering? I have one and have never read that before
post #159 of 4766 Old 12-25-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Are you sure the as-eq1 does hp filtering? I have one and have never read that before

Yes it does, Pinktri is using one for the HP filtering.
post #160 of 4766 Old 12-25-2009, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

Yes it does, Pinktri is using one for the HP filtering.

Actually Tom I was mistaken on this. The AS-EQ1 does not have a HP (or subsonic) filter. Pinktri is using the ED eQ.2 for this and I have ordered one too although ED seems to have lost the order. They did manage to charge me for it though .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #161 of 4766 Old 12-25-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually Tom I was mistaken on this. The AS-EQ1 does not have a HP (or subsonic) filter. Pinktri is using the ED eQ.2 for this and I have ordered one too although ED seems to have lost the order. They did manage to charge me for it though .

My bad, I was actually thinking the as-eq1 was the ED eq.2
post #162 of 4766 Old 12-25-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:

RMK-So, is it possible to use both of these items together? Or is it overkill? How does your Integra Pre/Pro handle the Audyssey bass management(if any)? I am going to be buying the Integra DHC-80.1 soon.
post #163 of 4766 Old 12-25-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkman61 View Post

RMK-So, is it possible to use both of these items together? Or is it overkill? How does your Integra Pre/Pro handle the Audyssey bass management(if any)? I am going to be buying the Integra DHC-80.1 soon.

I do not have the AS-EQ1 although I did have a demo in my HT of a prototype unit. I like the DHC-80's Audyssey MultEQ XT's BM as it sets the levels and distance for my Captivator and Danley co-located pairs spot-on.

Just to make things complicated, I also use a Velodyne SMS-1 EQ with the Danley's. With the SMS-1's real time display, I can view the combined LF response (post Audyssey) at any location in the room. I can apply EQ (also phase/polarity) and tweak the Danleys to get the best overall results. This approach is not for everyone but it works for me.

This also allows me to (via SMS-1 remote commands) switch the Danleys on and off. The tactle from the Danley's is sort of like Buttkickers but much more natural feeling than the Tactile Transducers like Buttkickers. I find a strong tactile effect is distracting for music and I prefer using just the Captivators.

post #164 of 4766 Old 01-02-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow - Just did some searching and 6th order bandpass designs have a BAD name in some audio circles. Not that I know anything but it looks like Jeff has managed to make a very difficult enclosure work out well.
post #165 of 4766 Old 01-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

goonstopher,

RMK and I had the same experience when researching this type of enclosure. Granted a lot of the info was addressing car audio and not HT use.

With all the talk of horn subs (THT and DTS 10) I have decided to go a different direction than the rest of the crowd and ordered 2 Captivators.

I usually dont leap into things without knowing the in and outs of products of this caliber...BUT being that this particular subwoofer was designed by two very enthusiastic and knowledgeable designers I figured one can't go wrong by putting your audio needs in their hands.
post #166 of 4766 Old 01-03-2010, 08:02 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

goonstopher,

RMK and I had the same experience when researching this type of enclosure. Granted a lot of the info was addressing car audio and not HT use.

With all the talk of horn subs (THT and DTS 10) I have decided to go a different direction than the rest of the crowd and ordered 2 Captivators.

I usually dont leap into things without knowing the in and outs of products of this caliber...BUT being that this particular subwoofer was designed by two very enthusiastic and knowledgeable designers I figured one can't go wrong by putting your audio needs in their hands.

Hi to all,

there is a new site for JTR speakers:

http://jtrspeakers.com/

and a new weight for JTR Captivator for HT 118 lbs vs 98 lbs for installation.
post #167 of 4766 Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivkoF View Post

Hi to all,

there is a new site for JTR speakers:

http://jtrspeakers.com/

and a new weight for JTR Captivator for HT 118 lbs vs 98 lbs for installation.

I believe the difference in weight of the "new" HT Captivator is due to a new MDF cabinet design. The raw material is heavier plus it has/needs more bracing hence more weight. The HT Captivator is available in "nicer" standard black finish or the same premium wood veneer finishes that match the Home Theater version Triple 8's, 12’s and Quintuples.

I think Jeff finally realized that in order to reach a broader market, he needed to make his great performing products with nicer looking enclosures. My preference is for the old tough as nails 13 ply Baltic Birch sprayed with
Line-X but I am no doubt in the minority with that preference .

post #168 of 4766 Old 01-05-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Just ordered a single to mix with my dynasty, not ideal but oh well.

Going to have to run an ep2500 bridged into it but need to figure out the proper way. I would rather over power it than under.
post #169 of 4766 Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I am surprised there are not more owners chiming in.

I am excited to hear this sub but it seems like few people are sharing that experience.
post #170 of 4766 Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

At this point, it is a very exclusive club .

post #171 of 4766 Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At this point, it is a very exclusive club .

It's probably cause they are passive subs. Jeff needs to add an amp in them so more people will give them a try
post #172 of 4766 Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

I have two captivators on the way, as soon as I can get them singing I will post pics and review.

Going passive allows you to choose the level of amplification. Some designers like Bill Fitzmaurice (Tuba Sub) are big believers in designing passive subwoofers. Danley (Tapped Sub) also has passive subs with the option of going active.

Going active does have its perks, like taking the guess work out of the equation so you dont fry the driver.

I dont know that adding an amp is going to sell more captivators, its going to take owners helping Jeff get the word out.

All I can say is that Iam excited and delirious to get mine.
post #173 of 4766 Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:

I have two captivators on the way, as soon as I can get them singing I will post pics and review.

Going passive allows you to choose the level of amplification. Some designers like Bill Fitzmaurice (Tuba Sub) are big believers in designing passive subwoofers. Danley (Tapped Sub) also has passive subs with the option of going active.

Going active does have its perks, like taking the guess work out of the equation so you dont fry the driver.

I dont know that adding an amp is going to sell more captivators, its going to take owners helping Jeff get the word out.

All I can say is that Iam excited and delirious to get mine.

That is very cool, looking forward to you pics and comments.

I just placed the Captivators on Great Grammas today. I really didn't have much time and need to re-run Audyssey but the little bit that I listened to them tonight sounded great.

post #174 of 4766 Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 AM

RMK....I was looking at the same thing . How does it footprint of the cap fit on the Grammas. please post some pics if you have a chance.

PRO-60X5FD
PRO-70X5FD
post #175 of 4766 Old 01-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

So thick carpet is not a good isolator?
post #176 of 4766 Old 01-08-2010, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktri View Post

RMK....I was looking at the same thing . How does it footprint of the cap fit on the Grammas. please post some pics if you have a chance.

I have the Captivators horizontal so the GG fits perfectly. If you are using the vertical orientation ... not so much.

Sorry for the pic quality. Room lighting is the next "upgrade" .

post #177 of 4766 Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I will use mine vertical. That just means a smaller pad will work.

Wish I could do duals but the Dynasty is tuned to around 15 and no slouch so they should work decently together.
post #178 of 4766 Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:

So thick carpet is not a good isolator?

The Caps sit on what is an HVAC Soffit for the room below. Sitting directly on the floor transmits a lot of energy to the soffit. I have had can lights below drop out of the ceiling . That plus in general, I think that an isolator base like the Gramma is a good idea for a sub.

post #179 of 4766 Old 01-09-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

How would s single Captivator compare to a single dynasty?

I have a dynasty I planned to run with my captivator but should I sell it and run dual captivators.
post #180 of 4766 Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

How would s single Captivator compare to a single dynasty?

I have a dynasty I planned to run with my captivator but should I sell it and run dual captivators.

I think you should sell everything and move to Tibet ...

But seriously, why not just wait until you have the Captivator, then decide?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page