Sub for Apartment... $600 Range - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-18-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've finally decided I need to buy a sub and that I need to pony up a little more dough for one than I have wanted to previously. I have about $600 I can spend (REally though, I dont have it but I will spend it :-) ). I really want a good sub that will operate well at low volumes. I live in a apartment building with like 30 other units in the building. I'm on the top floor (I have an elevator so its not a problem getting it to my unit) but have 3 floors below me and people to the left and right of me and on the other side of the hall.

Pretty much I can't make it too loud. For volume I tend to listen to my AVR at like -20db depending on content and as low as -30db. My room (living room) is 13x18 that opens up into a hallway and the kitchen.
|_____TV ____...|___...__|
|...................|_Hall way
|.....Bed Room....|
|......................|
|______________|
My current 5.0 Setup is:
Onkyo 805
Swan 6.1s LR
Swan C3 Center
Swan 2.1 Surrounds

This is running off my PS3 and my computer and at some point i'll run my cable though it but I never really watch that crap anyways. My Use is prob 40/40/20 (HT/Games/Music). Now normally they are about equal but I like to listen to my music louder than I do HT and Games and this isn't really an option in my apartment.

I'm ok with Used but I'm worried about knowing what to look for to see if it is abused or broken.

My current though is the Epik Sentinel for a couple reasons. It is in my budget (kinda) at $650. I also work about 20 min from the Epik Warehouse so I could pick it up (no shipping) and I have a credit card with a billing address in Wi so I could get away with out paying sales tax. thus it being $650.

My other though is a used Velodyne HSG-18 (I can get it for $650). I have a few worries about this also though. First is the part about it being in good shape and what not. Second, Will it be too big? And finally, I live in an Apartment made in the 1960s... Can my power system handle that monster?

Any other suggestions are welcome. I live near Chicago so another option is to just watch craigslist and Audiogon and look for stuff in the area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-18-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If I were you I'd go with the Epik without any hesitation. I'd also start looking for a place to stay since you'll be getting an eviction notice before x-mas
post #3 of 15 Old 10-18-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
You living so close to Epik and shipping not being an issue I don't think you'll find a better choice for your needs than the Sentinel. It's an amazing sub with a smallish footprint and massive output capability for it's size that will get you in the upper teens, it's very well built and weighs more than many larger choices. I owned one at my previous residence in a 16x12 room and was completely satisfied.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-18-2009, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

What about output at low volumes? Thats what I"m kinda worrying about. Will I be able to use it and not have everyone around me at my door?
post #5 of 15 Old 10-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
You might also try the Rythmik F12G, which is the version with the GR Research 12" paper driver. The standard 370w / PEQ version is a little above your budget ($750), but the 300w non-PEQ starts at $629. You lose some equalization features with the cheaper version, but only lose less than 1db output, which is insignificant in your case.

They recommend the GR Research driver over their normal aluminum cone because the GR Research driver is paper and sounds a bit more dynamic at low volumes. The tradeoff is that it doesn't do as well as their aluminum driver at high volumes. The paper driver should be more than enough for your situation, and the extension of these subs excellent (i.e. better than the sealed Epik Vanquish). The other nice thing about Rythmik subs is the servo control of the driver.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12G.html

That being said, for movies, it could be tricky with any sub, as when you are dealing with frequencies in the 20 hz range, it's very difficult to keep contained in your average apt building. I haven't heard the Epik Sentinel, but it looks like it has very impressive output for its size. However, you aren't going to get close to using all of its output in your current situation. Don't think you'll be disappointed with the Epik though, plus you live nearby.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-18-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterColin View Post

What about output at low volumes? Thats what I"m kinda worrying about. Will I be able to use it and not have everyone around me at my door?

Output at lower volumes and not disturbing you neighbors can be an issue with any subwoofer no matter what size it is, lower frequencies are non directional and travel, no way around that. There are several things you can do to help minimize this, such as:

Get something like the subdude to help with sound vibrating to the floor.
Nearfield placement to the listening position if possible can help because the sub doesn't have to be calibrated as high to match the other speakers.
Calibrate the system properly and be conscious of the volume control.

I think the Sentinel is the way to go here because of it's size which will lend itself to the most placement options while digging deep for HT and providing all the output you will ever need in your environment.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-18-2009, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Output at lower volumes and not disturbing you neighbors can be an issue with any subwoofer no matter what size it is, lower frequencies are non directional and travel, no way around that. There are several things you can do to help minimize this, such as:

Get something like the subdude to help with sound vibrating to the floor.
Nearfield placement to the listening position if possible can help because the sub doesn't have to be calibrated as high to match the other speakers.
Calibrate the system properly and be conscious of the volume control.

I think the Sentinel is the way to go here because of it's size which will lend itself to the most placement options while digging deep for HT and providing all the output you will ever need in your environment.

Thats everyone for the input. I also only plan to be at this apt for about 9months more and then moving into a little bigger place. But I'm hoping to buy my own house within the next 3-4 years so I do want something that can still shake the house when it gets to the point.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Liked: 11
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=102 has free shipping as well, just another option
post #9 of 15 Old 10-19-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Gosh as I read more and more I"m finding out that I'm gonna have a hard time not letting neighbors hate me with this thing... OH well. I'm gonna have to get a SubDude for sure and not sure what else.

One question. Where would be better to put teh sub. Next to the TV (the wall is shared with my bedroom) or next to the couch where I could listen to it lower volume but the wall is shared with my neighbors?
post #10 of 15 Old 10-19-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Gosh as I read more and more I"m finding out that I'm gonna have a hard time not letting neighbors hate me with this thing... OH well. I'm gonna have to get a SubDude for sure and not sure what else.

One question. Where would be better to put teh sub. Next to the TV (the wall is shared with my bedroom) or next to the couch where I could listen to it lower volume but the wall is shared with my neighbors?

My apartment layout is exactly like yours and I went with an MFW-15 that I plan to put right next to the TV so that it's next to the wall shared by my bedroom.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrn View Post

My apartment layout is exactly like yours and I went with an MFW-15 that I plan to put right next to the TV so that it's next to the wall shared by my bedroom.

What do you have for people around you? I'm on the top floor so that is sounding like its not a good thing. When will the MFW be there?
post #12 of 15 Old 10-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:

What do you have for people around you? I'm on the top floor so that is sounding like its not a good thing. When will the MFW be there?

I've got a gym below me but people above and on both sides of my apartment. I got the MFW this afternoon but won't have a receiver for a few weeks, so I can't tell you how well it works at low volumes until then.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-19-2009, 08:03 PM

ive got the A7-900 in my apt with a lobby below my living room, a guy under my bedroom. a shared bedroom/bathroom wall i think and a guy across the hall. ive got one complaint that my sub was shaking the shared wall so i shut my bedroom door when i listen to it and i can get it loud enf to rattle the doors and no complaints anymore, also took washer/dryer isolation pads (lowes for $25ish) put them on top of solid wood coasters and the sub on top of them and it works like a charm the walls and floor dont shake nearly as much unless its super low or super loud
post #14 of 15 Old 10-21-2009, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I bought an MFW15 and don't even want to install it in my apartment b/c I would piss off my neighbors. My house needs to hurry up and get built darn it!!

EPIK is a great suggestion since I read that you're located pretty close to them.

\m/ Hook'em Horns!

==========
Work for a Cause, Not for Applause. Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.
Don’t Strive to make your Presence Noticed,
Just make your Absence Felt. -Unknown
post #15 of 15 Old 10-21-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Epik or Rythmik would be my picks.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version