Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1291 of 1532 Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am thinking that I may not have my subs set up correctly after reading the post above. It took me all of 15 mins to set my subs up and then about 5 more to AS-EQ1 them......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1532 Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You probably don't have to use a 6" ladder to get to your components to make changes, bend over backwards with a mirror and a flashlight to try and figure out what connections you're plugging into, etc.

Plus, I typically like to take measurements of the close-mic FR without any crossover engaged on the sub (requires you to plug the sub into a L/R Front preout instead of the sub preout).

Further, with a shootout, it would be important to try and get the frequency responses and levels as close as possible so that you aren't providing one sub with an unfair advantage over another which would require something like my DCX2496 for Eq'ing capabilities, and of course the fact that for some reason REW is very finicky on my system and can take several tries to get working at times.

My DIY Subs ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #1293 of 1532 Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

I am thinking that I may not have my subs set up correctly after reading the post above. It took me all of 15 mins to set my subs up and then about 5 more to AS-EQ1 them......

Hmmm

And how many months of pain getting to that point !
post #1294 of 1532 Old 02-29-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I knew i would have seen you respond to my comment Stewart. As soon as you get that second Sub2 i think i will be paying you a visit but as always, you are welcomed to my house and when you visit next there will be some MAJOR changes
post #1295 of 1532 Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have been offered by my dealer for the same price either two Sub 25's or one Sub 2. Hmm. What to do...
post #1296 of 1532 Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

I have been offered by my dealer for the same price either two Sub 25's or one Sub 2. Hmm. What to do...

I would go for the smoother bass response across multiple listening areas. Therefore, I would go for the 2 Sub25s. Just my .02.

Here's a link where an Anthem employee talks about 2 Sub25s vs 1 Sub 2.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19361402
post #1297 of 1532 Old 03-01-2012, 04:12 AM

Liked: 10
My choice would be 2 sub 25s
post #1298 of 1532 Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

A single SUB 2 has lower distortion, goes deeper, and is easier to set up than two SUB 25's.
post #1299 of 1532 Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I'd love a sub 2 but can't swing 9500 bucks for a sub, so I guess I gotta settle for a sub 25 lol.
post #1300 of 1532 Old 03-04-2012, 06:10 AM

Spitz, have u heard the sub 2 in action? It blows away the sub 25s. You should be able to get two sub 1s for the price of a sub 2 and as a two sub set up is always better than a single sub you should squeeze your dealer on two sub 1s. Paradigm reco'd that I get two sub 1s instead of the single sub2 but as sub 2 was better sub I went w a single and hope to add a second sub 2 later this year or early next. I have heard both sub 25 and sub 1, both are awesome subs but sub 1 seemed tighter, more controlled, bigger "oomphf" factor and was also better for music (at least to my untrained ear). The sub1 is also one sweet looking sub.
post #1301 of 1532 Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 AM

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a sub 2, but could do with a little advice please.

My system consists of a onkyo 5008 receiver, B&W CM9 fronts speakers, CMC 2, & CM5 rears with a SVS PC ultra & PB Ultra in a 18ft x 14ft room.

The system is only used for Blu-ray, would you consider the Sub 2 a massive upgrade on my current SVS sub's or complete overkill in view of my other equipment.

Thanks
post #1302 of 1532 Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandpwoodley View Post

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a sub 2, but could do with a little advice please.

My system consists of a onkyo 5008 receiver, B&W CM9 fronts speakers, CMC 2, & CM5 rears with a SVS PC ultra & PB Ultra in a 18ft x 14ft room.

The system is only used for Blu-ray, would you consider the Sub 2 a massive upgrade on my current SVS sub's or complete overkill in view of my other equipment.

Thanks

Hard to say but my two cents is that I upgraded from dual Paradigm 15" Servo subs and would not go back.

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #1303 of 1532 Old 03-10-2012, 05:00 AM

Ive booked my demo, Anthem currently don't have one in the UK so I'm going to have to wait a month or so.

It's just to much money to spend without a in home demo but by the sounds of this thread I won't be disappointed
post #1304 of 1532 Old 03-10-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

I went with 2 sub 25s and have been thoroughly pleased with the choice. Debated long and hard over those or a Sub 2 but haven't had a moment of regret. Would really be hard to argue with either decision though.
post #1305 of 1532 Old 03-10-2012, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would love to hear a Sub 25. I never had a sub before ( at least not for home). I had my heart set on a Sub 25 but I ended up getting the Sub 2. Figured if I was gonna do it at all, I would do it right. Plus, I don't have room in my room for 2 subs. If I move I can always consdier getting a second sub 2 if I had the money.
post #1306 of 1532 Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks everyone for the advice.

My mind is saying for for the 2* Sub25's from the get go as a more logical approach, but my heart is set on the look, performance, and just plain newness of the Sub2. I guess down the track (at this price, way down the track) I couild always add another Sub2.

Also I just wonder, like most people wonder, if it will be a large, noticable upgrade from their current sub (in my case a M&K MX-350MKII THX Subwoofer).
post #1307 of 1532 Old 03-11-2012, 01:48 AM

Liked: 12
Hi mbfleming, it has been a while since I read up on the Sub 2, so this part interested me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming View Post

A single SUB 2 has lower distortion, goes deeper... than two SUB 25's.

Your earlier calculations showed two Sub 25's as having ~50% more displacement than one Sub 2 @ xmax:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=18194786

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming View Post

I calculate a displacement of the SUB 2 to be 5700 cubic centimeters and the SUB 25 to be 4300 cubic centimeters given a 15 inch effective surface area.

I still haven't seen a review of the Sub 2 yet that has useful technical measurements. Are we just taking the Anthem guy's word for it, despite the laws of physics, or is there something else that I'm missing?
post #1308 of 1532 Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

I didn't notice the contradiction before. I was only repeating what Nick@anthem posted.
post #1309 of 1532 Old 03-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone see anything wrong with placing my center channel, Paradigm C5, on top of my Sub 2 or just above? I am changing from my 142" scope screen to a 174" AT scope screen and would like to put the sub at the front behind the screen. Just wondering if the bass would interact with the center in a negative way?

John

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #1310 of 1532 Old 05-05-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Question about the Sub 1 (I think that's the 6x8" unit) and PBK generally, because a friend wants one and local dealers never seen to be able to give a straight answer for the simplest questions (sigh):

If one already has an Anthem ARC kit for her/his Anthem AVR/prepro, does one need to spring for a separate PBK kit, or can one just use the ARC mike and scrounge up an extra USB mini -> USB cable.

And related question, does one need to download a separate software package, or will the ARC software also run a PBK-enabled sub?

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1311 of 1532 Old 05-05-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Question about the Sub 1 (I think that's the 6x8" unit) and PBK generally, because a friend wants one and local dealers never seen to be able to give a straight answer for the simplest questions (sigh):

Big Surprise

Quote:

If one already has an Anthem ARC kit for her/his Anthem AVR/prepro, does one need to spring for a separate PBK kit, or can one just use the ARC mike and scrounge up an extra USB mini -> USB cable.

And related question, does one need to download a separate software package, or will the ARC software also run a PBK-enabled sub?

They are completely separate software and hardware kits... The software is encoded to recognize the product that it was made for, so you cannot exchange the two.... The PBK software will recognize the serialized mic the comes with the kit and upload the correction files to the sub itself....

On a separate note....

Friends that DIY don't let friend spend this kind of money on subs.... Help a brotha out... Help him BUILD a nice pair of LMS's or a dual opposed rig there buddy, and get him more bang for the buck...

post #1312 of 1532 Old 05-05-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

If memory serves the Sub 1 and Sub 2 both come with the PBK, it doesn't have to be purchased separately.

post #1313 of 1532 Old 05-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't tried it, but using a different microphone might only require you have it's calibration file. The instructions from the Perfect Bass Kit read me say:

Quote:

2) If you are installing PBK for the first time be sure to copy the serialized file (XXXXXXXParadigm.cal, where XXXXXXX is the serial number of your microphone) to the pbk_cd folder before clicking on setup.exe.

The microphones look identical except for their silkscreened logos:

Also, the MRX receiver manual indicates there may be no need to use both ARC and PBK corrections:

Quote:

EQ is also available for my subwoofer(s) – should I use it?
Since rooms and correction systems, the answer varies although it is best to disable the subwoofer’s EQ before running ARC. If the resulting calculated and target curves resemble each other, there is usually no reason to use the sub’s EQ. If the curves significantly differ through a wide range, enable the sub’s EQ and run ARC again to see if it helps. If you have run ARC with the sub’s EQ enabled, ARC must be run again once the sub’s EQ is turned off.
Multiple Paradigm subs with PBK: Results are often better with PBK run on each sub before using ARC.

post #1314 of 1532 Old 05-06-2012, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Anyone with a Sub2 watched Ghost Protocol ? My sub (this is mt second one) cut out again during one scene (where the car crashes into the river after being shot at). i think its due a firmware upgrade as the original sub2 had its cut out threshold too high and i think Anthem/Paradigm did a firmware update to lower the cut out threshold. Its late here so im going to look for more info on this tomorrow.

21inch hitachi
post #1315 of 1532 Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobjimbob View Post

Anyone with a Sub2 watched Ghost Protocol ? My sub (this is mt second one) cut out again during one scene (where the car crashes into the river after being shot at). i think its due a firmware upgrade as the original sub2 had its cut out threshold too high and i think Anthem/Paradigm did a firmware update to lower the cut out threshold. Its late here so im going to look for more info on this tomorrow.

I just got the movie but haven't watched it yet. I'll try to get to it tomorrow and let you know if I have the same issue.
post #1316 of 1532 Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

They are completely separate software and hardware kits... The software is encoded to recognize the product that it was made for, so you cannot exchange the two.... The PBK software will recognize the serialized mic the comes with the kit and upload the correction files to the sub itself....

Wow, that's stupid on their part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Friends that DIY don't let friend spend this kind of money on subs.... Help a brotha out... Help him BUILD a nice pair of LMS's or a dual opposed rig there buddy, and get him more bang for the buck...

I'm not a fan of the LMS. It's too expensive for what it offers, and can bottom with expensive consequences. When I had one, it sounded no different than my Maelstrom-X Mk. I. I much prefer the Aurasound NS18-992-4A to the LMS. It doesn't sound materially different from my Mael-X either, but it looks so much cooler. (That's the only reason I swapped, truth be told. I wanted all five of my main system subs to use Aura NS-series drivers.)

I agree with you that the Paradigm is not the best solution. Three or four SVS SB12's and an unbalanced miniDSP set-up by someone competent (even yours truly) will provide far better sound than any single-sub system. And one can't build an Peerless XXLS12-based sub for meaningfully less than SVS will sell theirs to you for. It's really the standout bargain in subwoofers today.

As for a dual-opposed, I don't do cabinetry, though. I design my subs and outsource cabinetry to artisans. Besides, this dude changes gear more than is healthy, so resale value matters to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

If memory serves the Sub 1 and Sub 2 both come with the PBK, it doesn't have to be purchased separately.

The dealer to whom we spoke wanted $100 extra for it. Plus tax. Whether that was just profiteering or not, or annoyance that someone wanted to special order a part rather than picking up something he had in stock, I don't know.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #1317 of 1532 Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:

The dealer to whom we spoke wanted $100 extra for it. Plus tax. Whether that was just profiteering or not, or annoyance that someone wanted to special order a part rather than picking up something he had in stock, I don't know.

That dealer was trying to screw you. It comes with the Sub 1 or Sub 2. When the Sub is ordered it should come with the PBK and not have to be special ordered. What I don't remember is if it came in the sub box
post #1318 of 1532 Old 05-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Have a look on Paradigm's website; it says the PBK is included with the SUB 1.

No, it doesn't come in the box, it ships as a separate item.
post #1319 of 1532 Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobjimbob View Post

I watched the scene last night with a couple of different volumes. I didn't experience any cut outs but maybe I didn't listen to it as loud as you did. For reference not that it matters I have the sub dialed in a 12:00, set to -5 on the MRX and had the MRX at -15 (maybe -10 too) and nothing.
post #1320 of 1532 Old 05-08-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post

I watched the scene last night with a couple of different volumes. I didn't experience any cut outs but maybe I didn't listen to it as loud as you did. For reference not that it matters I have the sub dialed in a 12:00, set to -5 on the MRX and had the MRX at -15 (maybe -10 too) and nothing.

Have you run PBK on the Sub 2 and ARC on the complete system ?
Reason I ask is your -5db setting.
After PBK and then an ARC setup, ARC should have reset the Sub 2 to a setting less than 12:00 and the MRX result for the Sub 2 should be around plus/minus 1db
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page