Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1501 of 1519 Old 03-11-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Speaking of cost, what is the street price for the sub 2 these days?
oneeyeblind likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1519 Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

You could easily surpass the performance of a sub 2 if you are willing to sacrifice space. My entire sub setup cost less than one sub 2.

What did you setup and assume space is no object. Assume no limitation, what would you do. They will bury me in this theater one day lol.

Blazar!
post #1503 of 1519 Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

What did you setup and assume space is no object. Assume no limitation, what would you do. They will bury me in this theater one day lol.

One Gjallerhorn (GH) has a consistent 12db advantage from 16-40Hz over a sub 2. To put that in further perspective, it would take four sub 2's to match a single GH through that range.

Do four GH and you would have one of the mist incredible bass setups in a home...anywhere...in the world...at a cost comparable to a new Sub 2.

post #1504 of 1519 Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

You could easily surpass the performance of a sub 2 if you are willing to sacrifice space. My entire sub setup cost less than one sub 2.

I agree. The main advantage of Sub 1 & Sub 2 is the performance for the size. It can go in many rooms a custom array or larger set of subs wouldn't be able to fit. Also, more of a WAF.
post #1505 of 1519 Old 03-12-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

I agree. The main advantage of Sub 1 & Sub 2 is the performance for the size. It can go in many rooms a custom array or larger set of subs wouldn't be able to fit. Also, more of a WAF.

Holy crap ... That GH on diy is pretty sick. I would really need to build a semi-detached theater building to incorporate a sub that big. Also a detached building with a room within a room.

Maybe.... A massive basement theater... With a "gameroom" above it? A location with cheap land so no other house is nearby?

Or... A basement for the subwoofers which fire up into the room? It would perhaps make maintenace easy in case a driver in the sub broke at some point in the future.

Blazar!
post #1506 of 1519 Old 03-18-2014, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm... I may be purchasing my sisters house shortly...

My new space would be @5000 cuft. do I purchase a 2nd SUB 1? Or.... I wonder if there's a "PRO" DIY'er out there who would consider building/shipping two of these "Gjallerhorn's" to WA?!

...I would have a $UB 1 looking for a home wink.gif
post #1507 of 1519 Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

One Gjallerhorn (GH) has a consistent 12db advantage from 16-40Hz over a sub 2. To put that in further perspective, it would take four sub 2's to match a single GH through that range.

Do four GH and you would have one of the mist incredible bass setups in a home...anywhere...in the world...at a cost comparable to a new Sub 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

If I might add to that, personally I think that somewhat misses the point of the Sub 1 and 2. It is not purely about the total output levels that the sub's can produce (though they are more than sufficient for 99% of properly balanced and EQ'd installs).

I have not heard a large driver sub yet, even with large dual push-pull drivers, that can achieve the detail, control and texture in the bass region that the Sub 1 and Sub 2 can. I believe that is down to the use of an array of smaller drivers and a totally inert cabinet, rather than a single large driver. I personally believe that above a certain driver size, no size of magnet structure or amplification power can propel and damp the motion of that large driver cone quickly enough to achieve the same level of control that can be achieved with the much smaller drivers.

Personally I'd much rather have that tightly controlled and detailed bass if it means sacrificing overall output potential that I would likely not use in any case as it would unbalance the mix of the audio track. Just my 2c . . . .
AVfile and richmagnus like this.
post #1508 of 1519 Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post

If I might add to that, personally I think that somewhat misses the point of the Sub 1 and 2. It is not purely about the total output levels that the sub's can produce (though they are more than sufficient for 99% of properly balanced and EQ'd installs).

I have not heard a large driver sub yet, even with large dual push-pull drivers, that can achieve the detail, control and texture in the bass region that the Sub 1 and Sub 2 can. I believe that is down to the use of an array of smaller drivers and a totally inert cabinet, rather than a single large driver. I personally believe that above a certain driver size, no size of magnet structure or amplification power can propel and damp the motion of that large driver cone quickly enough to achieve the same level of control that can be achieved with the much smaller drivers.

Personally I'd much rather have that tightly controlled and detailed bass if it means sacrificing overall output potential that I would likely not use in any case as it would unbalance the mix of the audio track. Just my 2c . . . .

Thanks for your input.

An objective scientific counter point to your subjective perspective.

Bass Myths

When I was a teenager my older step brother told me that 12" subs are the best size for car audio applications...effectively claiming that larger subs would be slower (thus effecting SQ) and smaller subs wouldn't be able to hit the same SPL. 12" subs were the perfect combination of SPL and SQ... SQL if you will.

I carried that same train of thought with me for YEARS because I never took the time to research for myself to challenge his assertation. The AVS and DIY communities have opened my eyes to the science behind speaker driver design and the importance of using TSP for proper implementation.

Up until about 2 years ago the thought of using a 12" or 15" driver as a mid-range simply boggled my mind. I thought mid-ranges shouldn't be over 8" max! lol.

wink.gif

Bottom-line: The size of the driver has nothing to do with "detail" / "control" / "texture."
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #1509 of 1519 Old 03-19-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

That "feeling" of bass control and texture occurs when you get a linear bass response at sufficient SPL.

I have 4 bg radia in-wall subs with a total of 48 drivers. Approx 2.5" drivers. They sound good but overall not as good as my pair of JL audio fathoms. I suspect my JL sound better due to peak SPL events and placement flexibility.

I now use all 6 subs but i cross over the BG radia for 40hz and below in order to narrow the driver movement range while running them at -15db. The in-wall being imperfect at my Main listening position, i use them to improve multi-seat response and fill in gaps.

This worked amazingly well with extremely textured bass response.

I love having a LOT of subs... The permutations of what you can do with them is endless.

Blazar!
post #1510 of 1519 Old 03-22-2014, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just bought a Sub 1 this week - very impressed by it - first time I have had really decent bass at home.
marky301067 likes this.

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Scope Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Sony BDP S6200 | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | MK M4T Sides | KEF E301 Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : iPad Air | Harmony Ultimate |
post #1511 of 1519 Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post

Just bought a Sub 1 this week - very impressed by it - first time I have had really decent bass at home.
I knew you would be biggrin.gif

(I'm in disguise)
post #1512 of 1519 Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky301067 View Post

The Paradigm sub1 is on a different planet.

Subs that I have upgraded from .../Paradigme Servo 15 / SVS Servo pc Ultra something ...! tube / Velodyne SLP 1200 MK2 / SVS 13 PB ULtra "Sledge" / JL Audio F113 Fathom / Paradigm Sub 1

Marky,

I have been using a dual JL Audio F112 set up in my 3000 cubic foot theater room for the past two years. In my opinion the F112 are very nice subs but I am interested in going with two Sub1 and moving both of the JL's to the back of my room. Would you say the Sub1 can provide more slam/impact as well as reach lower than the F112? There are cases where my JL Audio's struggle (like in the transformer scene where the autobot flips over the screaming woman). Sounds like the sub1 would certainly outperform the F112 if you found it to be more capable than the F113.

Was most of your evaluation done watching movies near reference level or music? My main interest is movies.
post #1513 of 1519 Old 05-07-2014, 03:47 AM

Liked: 12
I've owned a Sub1 for a while now and I have to say it is epic. Over here in the UK ,for gloss black,they are £5K,but obviously one can get it at about £4K. Even at this high price I haven't heard anything that is as detailed and articulate as the Sub1, other than a Sub2 or SL Boundary woofers. If I had the funds I would add a second without hesitation or go for a Sub2,£9k here in the UK.
marky301067 likes this.

Anthem MRX300, Anthem Statement A5, MK Sound MP150Mk2 LCR,MK Sound S150T's,Paradigm Signature Sub1,Pioneer BDP LX55,Isol8 Cleanline2 mains,Sonos ZP90,Qnap TS112 NAS,PanasonicTXP50GT60.
post #1514 of 1519 Old 05-23-2014, 06:20 AM

Question for Sub 1/2 owners:
I read the PBK setup manual about when to re-run the setup and it only states if I move the sub in the room. What about if I make a phase change, do I need to re-run the setup? The simple answer would be yes, but want to hear from others if they did this and if it made any difference.

I now find that some of the bass is too heavy in certain parts of the house.

Thanks..
post #1515 of 1519 Old 05-29-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDVidGuy View Post

Question for Sub 1/2 owners:
I read the PBK setup manual about when to re-run the setup and it only states if I move the sub in the room. What about if I make a phase change, do I need to re-run the setup? The simple answer would be yes, but want to hear from others if they did this and if it made any difference.

I now find that some of the bass is too heavy in certain parts of the house.

Thanks..

No, I don't believe you have to re-run PBK
post #1516 of 1519 Old 05-29-2014, 03:47 PM

Ok, seems like the right answer. If I have some time, I will and update the forum.
post #1517 of 1519 Old 06-05-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Farsider 3000,

When I auditioned subs, I was down to JL and Paradigm.

My Choices and auditions
JL Auditions - 2 Fathom® f113 or 2 Fathom® f212

Paradigm - 2 Sub 15 (studio series) or 2 Sub 1s.

In my experience, the Paradigm Sub 15 outperformed the F113 and 1 Sub 1 outperformed 2 F113s. 2 F113s didn't have the slam the Sub 1 had in the train scene in Super-8, nor the impact in Iron Man (his suit to escape the terrorists, nor the beginning of Transformers 1, when the military base gets attacked), nor the opening scene of Lord of the Rings where they explain the origin of the rings. If only using for music at normal listening levels it may be a little harder to tell, but crank up some bass heavy tracks and you will hear a difference.

I think the F212 and Sub 1 are pretty close, but I just liked the Paradigm a little more and I have a great dealer (plus they are cheaper). You will be amazed how hard and low the 2 Sub 1 goes. We're talking 150db at like 25hz.. I shake my neighbors houses foundation when I turn those puppies up. My house sounds like it is ripping itself apart and the subs are in the basement, 6.5 ft underground sitting on carpet/drycore, then cement floors and walls.

The JL subs are awesome, so please don't take this as bashing them. The Paradigms are just really, really, really good!

I also have several other subs in my house etc.

Good luck!
Mark

ELvis has left the building!
post #1518 of 1519 Old 06-05-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
You should have auditioned the SUB 2 if you really want to be impressed.

Nothing like it
marky301067 likes this.
post #1519 of 1519 Old 06-14-2014, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingelvises View Post
Hi Farsider 3000,

When I auditioned subs, I was down to JL and Paradigm.

My Choices and auditions
JL Auditions - 2 Fathom® f113 or 2 Fathom® f212

Paradigm - 2 Sub 15 (studio series) or 2 Sub 1s.

In my experience, the Paradigm Sub 15 outperformed the F113 and 1 Sub 1 outperformed 2 F113s. 2 F113s didn't have the slam the Sub 1 had in the train scene in Super-8, nor the impact in Iron Man (his suit to escape the terrorists, nor the beginning of Transformers 1, when the military base gets attacked), nor the opening scene of Lord of the Rings where they explain the origin of the rings. If only using for music at normal listening levels it may be a little harder to tell, but crank up some bass heavy tracks and you will hear a difference.

I think the F212 and Sub 1 are pretty close, but I just liked the Paradigm a little more and I have a great dealer (plus they are cheaper). You will be amazed how hard and low the 2 Sub 1 goes. We're talking 150db at like 25hz.. I shake my neighbors houses foundation when I turn those puppies up. My house sounds like it is ripping itself apart and the subs are in the basement, 6.5 ft underground sitting on carpet/drycore, then cement floors and walls.

The JL subs are awesome, so please don't take this as bashing them. The Paradigms are just really, really, really good!

I also have several other subs in my house etc.

Good luck!
Mark
Recently I demoed F113 against Sub 15 at home and I agreed with your experience although I only used some bass heavy music not movies. On some songs, the difference was not noticeable. Only the deepest bass music will show the difference (I used Katy Perry's - Dark Horse). The size of Sub 15 is bigger than F113 so it's a bit tricky to make space for it in an ordinary room settings.
Screamingelvises likes this.

Bedroom: Panasonic Plasma 42", Yamaha RX-A3020 AVR, Classe CP-800 stereo preamp, NAD M25 power amp, Fronts: KEF R900, Center: KEF R600c, Surrounds: KEF Q300, Sub: KEF Q400b, Antimode 8033S-II, Sony BDP-590 Blu-Ray Player, Dune Smart H1 media player.
Study room: Logitech Z5500
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page