2Likes

post #1531 of 1532 Old 07-22-2014, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
What you describe above if the lights are dimming only when turning on the unit and no sound is being reproduced that sounds like an amplifier problem overloading the power supply or even your AC circuit.
My guess is it is the AC circuit. The lights will dim if the sub starts to hit hard like watching WotW and decent volume. My room needs to be re-wired but at the moment I can not afford to rip the whole room apart and have new AC service installed. When I am ready though, I am going to have a 240V line run just for the sub and maybe another 4 dedicated 30 amp circuits. I also want to get a P5 and P2 next year so the rewire would assist with that. And to do all this, I need a new panel or sub panel and a new line from the pole. Only have a 100 amp service here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1532 Old 07-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunim View Post
I've had a Sub 1 for a few months now. Actually, I am on my second because of a technical issue.

The sub emits low level thumps when the system is first turned on and then fairly randomly after that. Might happen in five minutes or fifteen, but it happens. It's as if the autosense circuit is hypercritical and the unit is being turned on and off inappropriately.

The situation is a bit unusual. I like to watch movies in bed. Pretty good audio system and 60" flat panel in a quiet room. Sub performance is very good - except for the thumping. The unusual bit is that this system is also used for satellite TV and the volumes are low when that is on. It is when I am listening to the low volume satellite input that the thumps are noticeable. They do occur with movies (at first signal input) but, because the volumes are much higher, the low thumps are not noticeable most of the time.

It is not the prepro. The Sub 1 has thumped with nothing connected to it. A few times it has sat there popping quietly to itself (but loudly enough to be heard 15'away), and it keeps doing it after the XLR cable is disconnected. The Sub 1 will also thump every now and then with the input devices turned off. I don't think there is anything wrong with this specific unit because Paradigm replaced the first one for the same problem. This second one was better at first but is now about the same as the last one.

Paradigm is looking into it, but it's been months and I am not sure what that means. Either they can't replicate it or they can't correct it, I suspect. No, it is not a huge deal but it is bothersome. Anyone else experienced this?
If you are using XLR Cable? try the RCA Cable.

If I remember .. There are people who have had problems with port XLR in sub 1 and Sub 2
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page