I've had it up to here with AV123 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 586 Old 01-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely8 View Post

Scam? Hold on... you mean I'm not corresponding with a Nigerian prince??!?!?!

Who can a guy trust these days?

I suppose I should underfund him....

......"underfund him"....

Just blew coffeee out the nose, that hurt.

Happy New Year.

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 586 Old 01-02-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

It's a Danny Richie design. He posts over at AudioCircle so you could ask him what the functional benefit is as well as his thoughts on using asphalt based material.

My guess is that it sounds better than nothing, but I bet that it's not much better than nothing.

See for yourself:

"We will not be able to use the damping material we told you we were supposed to use, but we'll replace it by an asphalt based material!"
vs
"We will not be able to use the damping material we told you we were supposed to use... Sorry.. love.. humbly.. hugs.. all the best.."

Even if the asphalt based does absolutely nothing, it still sounds better... I mean, at least they replaced it with something... And since most people don't know enough about speaker design to know if an asphalt based material really does anything, I guess a good con-artis... ahem... I mean, a good salesman can sell anything.

Again, I don't want to imagine how it would feel for someone who has prepaid years ago for his speakers, and not only has not received the paid for speakers, but also sees them cheap out on materials and not provide what they said they would... Really nightmarish.
post #543 of 586 Old 01-02-2010, 04:06 PM

Liked: 17
Using asphalt is a good move by Danny. But I fail to see why he couldn't just use tar and be done with it. Once super heated, it can provide a great many benefits.

Uh...

Regards,
post #544 of 586 Old 01-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
after really cranking it up, only reference levels for the past few days, one of my mfw-15s that i used occaisionally has a rattle to it when running the speaker test tones form my onkyo tx-nr3007. the other one is fine, but one makes a weird rattling noise that subsides if i put a finger on the rubber surrounds, i am unsure what this problem really is, can someone point out any solutions?
post #545 of 586 Old 01-02-2010, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
are any screws loose by any chance?

Pioneer Elite SC-05
JBL Studio S310 fronts, JBL Studio S26II's mid and S36's rear.
Epik Sentinel subwoofer
Slim PS3
Oppo BDP-103
BenQ W7500
post #546 of 586 Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested View Post

In a thread about MFW's ? Screws Loose ? Never ...
post #547 of 586 Old 01-02-2010, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I don't believe Danny specifies ashphalt based material. He's a No-Rez proponent. The asphalt implementation is Schifter's move. It improves margins but not sufficiently that people get their speakers that they've paid for years ago in a timely fashion.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #548 of 586 Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested View Post

none of the screws holding the driver in are loose. unless its from the amp plate? but it does go away when i put a finger on the rubber surround, which makes it so weird. and only during the test tone do i notice it.
post #549 of 586 Old 01-02-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

none of the screws holding the driver in are loose. unless its from the amp plate? but it does go away when i put a finger on the rubber surround, which makes it so weird. and only during the test tone do i notice it.

Do you mean the rubber surround on the actual driver ? Or the gasket behind the driver frame ?

If it's the gasket, you may try loosening the driver and moving it to get a better seal ... but if it's the actual driver surround ... that's really strange.

You may need a new driver.
post #550 of 586 Old 01-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Do you mean the rubber surround on the actual driver ? Or the gasket behind the driver frame ?

If it's the gasket, you may try loosening the driver and moving it to get a better seal ... but if it's the actual driver surround ... that's really strange.

You may need a new driver.

yes when i put my finger on the rubber surround on the driver the rattle noise from my onkyo test tone stops.
post #551 of 586 Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Using asphalt is a good move by Danny. But I fail to see why he couldn't just use tar and be done with it. Once super heated, it can provide a great many benefits.

Uh...

Regards,

That's correct. All of these guys are piling on and I understand that, but asphalt applied to the inside of a cabinet is a good thing and it does make a difference. As one poster guessed, it reduces vibration of the cabinet and yes it is an improvement even for properly built cabinets. To the guy from Phoenix that was scared of the peel and stick roll product sold at places like Lowes. You were afraid that the stuff would melt? it is used on roofs in Florida, Arizona, California and every other state. I believe that it is hotter on your roof than it is in side your speaker.
post #552 of 586 Old 01-02-2010, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

yes when i put my finger on the rubber surround on the driver the rattle noise from my onkyo test tone stops.

I might suggest you inspect the surround very carefully, especially at the seams. Even a very tiny tear or leak will cause audible buzzing or rattling at certain frequencies... and it will only get worse over time, so if you do discover a bad section of seam attachment or tiny tear contact customer support soon and request a replacement driver. I wish you the best of luck finding the problem.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #553 of 586 Old 01-03-2010, 12:06 AM

UFOKillerz - there's an owner's thread that would probably be a better place to get that type of question answered. As others have said, it is likely a problem of air escaping somewhere. You can buy some sticky foam window sealant (or have AV123 send you some) and that should fix it.
post #554 of 586 Old 01-03-2010, 06:13 AM

I can't believe this is what AV123 has become. People now seriously recommend that AV123 fix their new, damaged product with window foam sealant? This is the new level of expectations? Sad stuff.
post #555 of 586 Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 PM

I'm starting to think about using colored wax on my x-ls and x-sub to hide all the veneer cracks... They sound great with the Ninja upgrades though. You would hope however that a company selling, for example, veneered products would do a bit of research and use prudence in trying new "stuff" and not just rush to market without a clue as to how these things will hold together over time... Same goes for all form of amplifier...
post #556 of 586 Old 01-04-2010, 08:28 PM

What color are they? I had WSM and never had a problem but I only owned them for about 1.5 years, I sold them shortly after all the raffle BS became public, couldn't stand to listen to them.
post #557 of 586 Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by django1 View Post

I'm starting to think about using colored wax on my x-ls and x-sub to hide all the veneer cracks... They sound great with the Ninja upgrades though. You would hope however that a company selling, for example, veneered products would do a bit of research and use prudence in trying new "stuff" and not just rush to market without a clue as to how these things will hold together over time... Same goes for all form of amplifier...

Did you find a substantial audible difference after performing the upgrade?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #558 of 586 Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 AM

Palisander from Colombia. They do look good from 5 feet away.. I did the Ninja Elite upgrades with No Rez and the improvement is quite dramatic and well worth the money and effort. BTW, I tried the No-Rez before the crossover upgrades and it does make a quite audible and worthwhile difference...
post #559 of 586 Old 01-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
I really hoped to be one of the lucky ones but perhaps my love of the sub had me being a little blind. My launch mfw-15 bit the dust yesterday despite my efforts to baby it like a newborn infant throughout its lifespan, never turning the gain up to even 1/2. I guess when you invest in a brand new product without a reliability history you take this chance so I will accept that.

I was a little bit annoyed that when I contacted them I specifically pointed out in detail that I tried the sub on two different systems and it still did not work, and I tried a backup sub on both systems and it works fine....but they still came back with "it sounds like a problem with your receiver".

Ah well, I wont throw stones...I will chalk it up to being swamped and glossing over the details of my email and I will try walking them through they symptoms a few more times to see if I can get them to send me a new amp. Things like this can happen.

The unfortunate thing is the reports people have shared and now my experience has soured me just a little bit on the internet direct companies and I don't want to feel that way. I had an excellent experience with Aperion and my correspondence with ED has been fantastic so I am trying to keep the bigger picture in mind.
post #560 of 586 Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

The unfortunate thing is the reports people have shared and now my experience has soured me just a little bit on the internet direct companies and I don't want to feel that way. I had an excellent experience with Aperion and my correspondence with ED has been fantastic so I am trying to keep the bigger picture in mind.

You should not let your experience with AV123 taint your view of ID companies overall. This is not an ID problem in general. It's just a particular problem with one shakey company. There are still some fantastic ID companies out there whose customer service is beyond reproach.
post #561 of 586 Old 01-05-2010, 07:39 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
happy new year

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #562 of 586 Old 01-05-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I really hoped to be one of the lucky ones but perhaps my love of the sub had me being a little blind. My launch mfw-15 bit the dust yesterday despite my efforts to baby it like a newborn infant throughout its lifespan, never turning the gain up to even 1/2. I guess when you invest in a brand new product without a reliability history you take this chance so I will accept that.

Are you saying your sub is no longer under warranty or perhaps that you bought it used and the warranty was not transferable?

Quote:

I was a little bit annoyed that when I contacted them I specifically pointed out in detail that I tried the sub on two different systems and it still did not work, and I tried a backup sub on both systems and it works fine....but they still came back with "it sounds like a problem with your receiver".

Who is they?

Quote:

Ah well, I wont throw stones...I will chalk it up to being swamped and glossing over the details of my email and I will try walking them through they symptoms a few more times to see if I can get them to send me a new amp. Things like this can happen.

MLS frequently posts his phone number so that might be the best place to start. As you'll probably find, inquiries for assistance with a matter that are posted on their website often wind up with MLS wanting to have you call him.

Quote:

And you're correct for keeping the bigger picture in mind. VA321 is very much a unique phenomenon in the ID world. Makes for a good reality TV show though

post #563 of 586 Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
It should still be under warranty and I am confident it will all be worked out. The "they" is their technical support email correspondence, but I am sure with more emails or a phone call it will get worked out. As I said, I am not throwing stones...but I do feel it was worth adding another name to the list. I firmly believe in most cases you cannot really trust reliability reports on forums because people tend to post more when they have issues. Having said that, the feedback regarding this sub and this company clearly go beyond that expected failure rate.

To be fair, I will say that my correspondence with them has generally been friendly and the performance of the sub is outstanding....but I still felt a responsibility to add my failure to the list for those folks out there on the fence that assume "it wont happen to them" or "it has worked fine for 2 years so I must be in the clear". I have zero confidence this will not happen again after I am out of warranty.

You are all exactly correct about ID companies and I am wrong to feel that way. I guess my real lesson here is going with products and companies with a little more history behind them may be worth a little more money up front. I will not again be a guinea pig for new products, but that has nothing to do with AV123 and it isnt fair for me to be negative about them. I am having an issue getting a refund from TSC on a cancelled speaker order after realizing they were disappearing so it is probably the result of two bad experiences close together sort of exaggerating my frustration a little bit.
post #564 of 586 Old 01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It should still be under warranty and I am confident it will all be worked out. The "they" is their technical support email correspondence, but I am sure with more emails or a phone call it will get worked out. As I said, I am not throwing stones...but I do feel it was worth adding another name to the list. I firmly believe in most cases you cannot really trust reliability reports on forums because people tend to post more when they have issues. Having said that, the feedback regarding this sub and this company clearly go beyond that expected failure rate.

To be fair, I will say that my correspondence with them has generally been friendly and the performance of the sub is outstanding....but I still felt a responsibility to add my failure to the list for those folks out there on the fence that assume "it wont happen to them" or "it has worked fine for 2 years so I must be in the clear". I have zero confidence this will not happen again after I am out of warranty.

You are all exactly correct about ID companies and I am wrong to feel that way. I guess my real lesson here is going with products and companies with a little more history behind them may be worth a little more money up front. I will not again be a guinea pig for new products, but that has nothing to do with AV123 and it isnt fair for me to be negative about them. I am having an issue getting a refund from TSC on a cancelled speaker order after realizing they were disappearing so it is probably the result of two bad experiences close together sort of exaggerating my frustration a little bit.

Refunds can be problematic when B&M or ID go the way of history and warranties, well who knows. WRT VA321, the best option if email or posting on their forum doesn't work out is to contact MLS to see what the scoop is.

post #565 of 586 Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Did these guys go to CES and if so, what did they show? I bet some of the booth conversations would be interesting if mls was there.
post #566 of 586 Old 01-09-2010, 12:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No. What would they show?

post #567 of 586 Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Maybe some CAD renderings and lots of hugs for everyone?

Mark.
post #568 of 586 Old 01-09-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukAudio View Post

Maybe some CAD renderings and lots of hugs for everyone?

Mark.

They could have had a giant poster of the line drawing of the amplifier control panel for new subwoofer that was posted on their own forums, two weeks late.
post #569 of 586 Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MFW-15 manual.

Artist's mock-up, of course (only 90% complete)
post #570 of 586 Old 01-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely8 View Post

MFW-15 manual.

Artist's mock-up, of course (only 90% complete)

rofl
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page