Searching for a sub in 800-900$ price range (Can$) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-07-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I'm searching for a subwoofer, for my home theater system.
My budget is between 800-900$ CAN (before taxes&shipping. I'm considering the SVS SB-12 Plus wich would cost 850$ + taxes + shipping.

I don't have a dedicated home theater room, my tv and audio gear are in the living room, wich is approximately 18' x 24' x 16' high, and it's an open area (no doors, high ceiling, etc).

Use is about 50% tv, 30% movies (nearly all Blu-Ray&HD-DVD), 20% music.

My AVR is a Denon 1909.

Are there any other brands/models that would be as good as or better than this set for less money?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would seriously consider the PB12-NSD instead of the SB12 Plus. Unless you really need a 'smaller' enclosure and it's worth sacrificing performance then go for it but the PB12-NSD will outperform that sub considerably...and for less money too.

I would also contact Funkywaves. They are Canadian sub/speaker makers who can build something to suit your needs or offer something already in stock. The SDX15 driver (which is Canadian made and offered at FW)would be something that would far outperform the PB12-NSD or even much more expensive subs.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post

I would seriously consider the PB12-NSD instead of the SB12 Plus. Unless you really need a 'smaller' enclosure and it's worth sacrificing performance then go for it but the PB12-NSD will outperform that sub considerably...and for less money too.

I would also contact Funkywaves. They are Canadian sub/speaker makers who can build something to suit your needs or offer something already in stock. The SDX15 driver (which is Canadian made and offered at FW)would be something that would far outperform the PB12-NSD or even much more expensive subs.

having heard the PB12-NSD and personally having an HSU 3.3 to compare it to, I think the HSU sub is notably better and for really for about the same money. And that is taking nothing away from the SVS sub.... they are both great
post #4 of 19 Old 01-08-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman View Post

having heard the PB12-NSD and personally having an HSU 3.3 to compare it to, I think the HSU sub is notably better and for really for about the same money. And that is taking nothing away from the SVS sub.... they are both great

The HSU sub is not an option. They don't sell them here and shipping it here makes it completely out of the price range...and I mean 'completely'.

BTW, in testing, these 2 subs perform almost identically. If you hear a 'notably better' difference then you should really use an SPL meter and REW to provide 'real' stats to back that up. It might have been your 'setup' that was the actual difference. You can easily view Ilkka's tests on both of these subs right on AVS as one source of info but there are also a plethora of personal testing done also that show these two subs are very similar in performance. Craigsub's testing also showed them as being very close in performance. As far as the 'money' goes, the HSU is regularly priced at $699 and the SVS is $599. $100 difference is not exactly 'the same amount of money'.

Anyway, I don't mean to make this thread a debate between those two very good subwoofers. The SVS is the OP's only option between the 2 anyway.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The HSU sub is not an option. They don't sell them here and shipping it here makes it completely out of the price range...and I mean 'completely'.

BTW, in testing, these 2 subs perform almost identically. If you hear a 'notably better' difference then you should really use an SPL meter and REW to provide 'real' stats to back that up. It might have been your 'setup' that was the actual difference. You can easily view Ilkka's tests on both of these subs right on AVS as one source of info but there are also a plethora of personal testing done also that show these two subs are very similar in performance. Craigsub's testing also showed them as being very close in performance. As far as the 'money' goes, the HSU is regularly priced at $699 and the SVS is $599. $100 difference is not exactly 'the same amount of money'.

Anyway, I don't mean to make this thread a debate between those two very good subwoofers. The SVS is the OP's only option between the 2 anyway.

maybe it is my personal preference... either way, I think the svs is 569 right now and the HSU is 629 right now.... a 60 buck difference.

Buy what you like, I think the SVS sub is a great choice. I am not trying to down play it at all
post #6 of 19 Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have a look at the Paradigm DSP-3200 (12") and DSP-3400 (14"). After typical 20+% discounts, both should be nicely in your price range. I believe they now have the inputs for the PBK-1 EQ mic as well, just like the SUB12/15/25. The PBK-1 makes a world of difference as well.

I had a SVS PC-12 Plus for a little while in a smaller room than yours, was not satisfied (SVS was great about it, took the sub back with no issues), and I got a Paradigm SUB12 and have been happy ever since.

Where abouts are you in Canada? I'm in Calgary.

Mark
post #7 of 19 Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
SVS is distributed in Canada through Sonic Boom Audio; go to their site to see Canadian pricing and delivery options.

The Paradigm DSP line is really good. Initially I was wanting to spend $500ish on my sub and was deciding between PB10-NSD, PSB Sub 5i and the DSP-3100. I auditioned the PSB and found it boomy (probably the fault of the setup at the store, not the sub) and the Paradigm and bought it (for $450, so as suggested by Mark the 3200 and 3400 would be options for you) and was quite happy.

Then I was waiting for my Oppo Blu-ray player and started thinking about SACD 5.1 music and did I want "a bit better" bass and ended up upgrading to a Rythmik F12. I was lucky and got a deal on one already shipped to Canada, so I only had Toronto to Calgary to pay for. If music is important to you then i would consider contacting Brian at Rythmik and seeing what it would cost to get an F12 in your hands.

Also, take a look at Canuck Audio Mart as there are a number of used subs in different provinces in the $500 - $1000 available.

post #8 of 19 Old 01-08-2010, 07:11 PM

on the dsp I demo'd them in store two dif locations and just felt like it was missing a lot. I then was going for and ultracube 10, but they were out of stock so I bought an Ultracube 12 for $880 which I thought was a good deal. I have it paired with Paradigm Atoms, adp 170 and matching cc. My sub is only slightly over 1/4 of the way and -6 on the audesey eq. I just think it has good tight base responce and the size fit into our living room nicely. I have it on a Subdude which fits perfectly! Maybe an ultracube would work for you... I know I know SVS HSu SVS HSU I have not heard one of those and they are larger.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Where abouts are you in Canada? I'm in Calgary.

Mark

Near Quebec city, in a small town. It's a given I can't buy locally and either need to go to Quebec city or order from the 'net.

I know the stores that sells Paradigm, but I'll have to check the others.

edit: I found a 700$ DSP-3400 on Canuck audio mart... will have to check the retail price first though...
post #10 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if Elemental designs ships to canada, but the A5-350 is awesome for the $$$

15" woofer, 500 watts big box 2 ported design, I have one and it blows away just about any 12" sub out there, especially for the $$$
post #11 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

I don't know if Elemental designs ships to canada, but the A5-350 is awesome for the $$$

15" woofer, 500 watts big box 2 ported design, I have one and it blows away just about any 12" sub out there, especially for the $$$

We do ship to Canada, customer just needs to email us with the product and address for an accurate quote.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

+1,
Wojtek
PS: Great service as well, even for canadian customers
post #13 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Buy this Rythmik F12 for sale in Richmond Hill on Canuck Audio Mart for $765.

You will never regret it.

post #14 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirTERM View Post

+1,
Wojtek
PS: Great service as well, even for canadian customers

Really? So, if his sub breaks down who pays the hundreds of dollars (after duty, brokerage fee's and taxes not to mention shipping charges) to ship it back and get it fixed or have a new one shipped to replace it? If Elemental Designs is willing to pay shipping then that's a good deal, if they aren't it means someone buying from them in Canada is left with a HUGE bill should anything go wrong with the sub (and it happens to every brand). God forbid it gets sent UPS all the way up here.

I mean, if a person is going to spend over $500 on an A2-300 and basically keep their fingers crossed it doesn't show up fubar from shipping or just break down for whatever reason (because shipping it back costs an arm and leg going both ways), why not just order from SVS in Canada and get a PB10-NSD for $579. You'll get a full warranty and never pay any duty or brokerage fee's and actually have a legally binding warranty (assuming most US bought merchandise doesn't have warranty that's legally binding when shipping out of country).

I know the Elemental Design subs are very well made and it's a great company but it seems that buying one from Canada is not as simple as it seems, unless I'm completely wrong about the buyer having to pay shipping, duty, brokerage fee's and taxes both ways should he have to send it subwoofer back for repairs or replacement. Perhaps someone could shed some light on this....
post #15 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Buy this Rythmik F12 for sale in Richmond Hill on Canuck Audio Mart for $765.

You will never regret it.

For that price he could also buy a brand new PB12-NSD and have what I presume would be more output and extension. Perhaps the F12 would sound better, especially for music...however subjective that is.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Not gonna buy from the US for something that big, that's for sure. I'm sure the US retailers provide very good after sale support, but the price of shipping to here plus the custom fees wich I'm pretty sure I'll be charged will be prohibitive.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll try the Paradigm, seems a good sub.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Danielson, I can see your concern, as many have been burned when purchasing from a US company.

Ever since our car audio days, our roots still lay deep in the Canadian market. We try our best to offer a great product to our friends of the north.

When shipping to Canada the first time around, we use FedEx International Economy. This includes your brokerage fees. While you pay a little bit more for shipping, its still less than the surprise brokerage which we have seen UPS charge on high dollar items.

If you do run into an issue with something, we ship out warranty replacement parts marked as warranty replacements. This prevents any fees from being charged on the replacement parts, as you have already paid for them.

Overall we try to make it as painless as possible. Until we find a Canadian distributor, we are going to do out best to keep shipping, and fees as low as possible.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlindeman View Post

Danielson, I can see your concern, as many have been burned when purchasing from a US company.

Ever since our car audio days, our roots still lay deep in the Canadian market. We try our best to offer a great product to our friends of the north.

When shipping to Canada the first time around, we use FedEx International Economy. This includes your brokerage fees. While you pay a little bit more for shipping, its still less than the surprise brokerage which we have seen UPS charge on high dollar items.

If you do run into an issue with something, we ship out warranty replacement parts marked as warranty replacements. This prevents any fees from being charged on the replacement parts, as you have already paid for them.

Overall we try to make it as painless as possible. Until we find a Canadian distributor, we are going to do out best to keep shipping, and fees as low as possible.

Thanks for the information. Knowing you go to those lengths is reassuring. I suppose alot of online retailers (not ID companies) have made a bad name for shopping over the border. Many people get stuck with big fee's and when something goes wrong the company goes deaf.

Viper, SVS is sold IN Canada so no worries. Also, Elemental Designs does offer great support to us Canadians as Alex explained. If you like the Paradigm sub then go for it but if you want the extra performance that SVS or eD offers then it's definitely worth buying ID.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-15-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Viper, SVS is sold IN Canada so no worries.

That I know. I found their Canadian distributor a while ago.

Quote:

Also, Elemental Designs does offer great support to us Canadians as Alex explained.

I had great experiences buying from the US, but also a lot of bad experiences (like seeing an item double in price).

Seems like ED might not be so bad, so maybe I'll check them out.

Quote:

If you like the Paradigm sub then go for it but if you want the extra performance that SVS or eD offers then it's definitely worth buying ID.

as I said, I never owned a sub before for my home theater. I have subs for my computers, but I'm disapointed (the subs are probably too small for the size of the room they are in).
I had salespeople tell me I didn't need it with my particular setup, as long as I kept the volume high, and I had friends showing me the difference it made on their home theater, but I finally decided to make the jump, but I really don't know the difference between any of these fine brands.

Since I missed the DSP-3400 advertised, I'll check the Paradigm in store and compare the price with the Elemental Desing one and SVS. I kinda suspect the ED sub will be a tad pricier with shipping, but I don't know yet.

Again, thanks for all the help
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page