Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 1003 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4304Likes
post #30061 of 30070 Unread Yesterday, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Maybe I’m stating the obvious but some rap, R&B, hip hop music can have low synthesized beats. Or music like daft punk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30062 of 30070 Unread Yesterday, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Maybe I?m stating the obvious but some rap, R&B, hip hop music can have low synthesized beats. Or music like daft punk.
Most rap music is actually 40-60hz.
post #30063 of 30070 Unread Today, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Ah so we're talking about music with super low frequencies. I will leave that alone since I know nothing about it. Not sure I've ever heard music like that.

post #30064 of 30070 Unread Today, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
There is music with LF energy but it very much depends upon the recording (and perhaps less so the genre). Organs go down to 32, 16, or 8 (!) Hz depending on how large a pipe it has. The lowest note on a standard 88-key piano is ~27 Hz (the big Bosendorfer takes it down to ~16 Hz with the extra keys), the lowest guitar string is around 40 Hz, but percussives can extend well below that. A lot of orchestral recordings have very LF content, even beyond the (in)famous Telarc 1812 recording with 6 Hz cannon shot signals. Drums, close-mic'd piano hammers, sub-harmonics from multiple players, plucked strings and other percussive, etc. are prevalent in jazz, orchestral, and other genres. I have a number of Sheffield Lab recordings with decent amounts of LF energy. If you are talking sub-10 Hz, I doubt there's much out there in movies or music, as most mixes tend to roll off before then (probably a good thing).

FWIWFM - Don
gwsat likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #30065 of 30070 Unread Today, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Agreed on the difficulty of finding music that actually tests subs. Most music doesn't go that low. Certainly I have some songs that vibrate my couch a little bit, but it's not the same thing as what's in some movies.

While I could try to recommend a few songs that have nice bass, I don't think anyone would consider them "bass songs". However, here is one song that surprises me a lot with how much low frequency sound it has (probably have to get to at least the 1:30 mark or so):

I've only listened to my FLAC rip of the CD I own of that song, so I can't attest to the youtube quality of it, but it might be worth a shot. Or if you can stream it from somewhere (Tidal, Amazon Prime, etc.). Again, it's not pipe organ music that will dig into the low teen frequencies and it's not electronic music that will bounce the house, but for a relatively quiet song it has a lot of sustained low frequency sounds that I've found to have an impressive effect with my dual F25's (with a slight +3 or 4 bass boost specifically for listening to music compared to what I use for movies).

7.2.4 Setup | Display: Panasonic TC-P65VT50 plasma | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's

Last edited by Bluecow003; Today at 08:23 AM.
post #30066 of 30070 Unread Today, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Yeah, I've been surprised by how unimpressive most rap music is in terms of bass actually. Before hearing it on my system, I would have guessed it had lower frequencies, but most of it really doesn't.

There are certainly electronic songs out there that people use just for bass effects, but I haven't take the time test it out. It gets to a point where it's just gimmicky (low frequency just for the purpose of being low frequency), which doesn't appeal to me much. I'm just happy if my system impressively handles the things I actually enjoy listening to.

7.2.4 Setup | Display: Panasonic TC-P65VT50 plasma | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's
post #30067 of 30070 Unread Today, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Yep. The mightiest pipe organs can produce frequencies lower that 10Hz.
Rumor has it there are a few modern pipe organs with 64' pipes (that's a pipe that stands taller than 5 stories), which have a fundamental frequency of 8 Hz. I'm not at all sure what this is good for, human hearing being what it is. I'm guessing it's just to excite the vestibular system to give people that feeling of fear and awe (or, for people like me, nausea )

For those interested, I'm finding exactly two, only one of which is currently functional. Those are the Grand Organ in the Sydney Town Hall's Centenary Hall, Australia (64' Contra-Trombone stop), and the non-functional Boardwalk Hall Auditorium Organ in Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA. (64′ Diaphone-Dulzian stop). So if you're looking for a subwoofer workout, see if you can find a recording of that organ in Sydney. It would be interesting if they actually transferred signal down to 8 Hz; most mics, even pure pressure omnis, are rolling off above 8 Hz, and most recording chains roll off well above 8 Hz. That said, IIRC Sennheiser made an omni decades ago that was flat down to 0.1 Hz. It had military applications; something about locating artillery pieces in the field? IDK.

But be forewarned, pipe organ pipes can give you pretty good sine waves. Don't blow out your sub(s) just to play this stuff.
post #30068 of 30070 Unread Today, 11:34 AM

My Earthworks M30 measurement mic is good to 5 Hz. My subs in my little room are down about 3 dB at 7 Hz. Good to go, except for the whole nausea bit...

How music, MP3's, earbuds and all that jazz has corrupted our sense of frequency response and dynamic range in music is for another thread...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #30069 of 30070 Unread Today, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
My Earthworks M30 measurement mic is good to 5 Hz. My subs in my little room are down about 3 dB at 7 Hz.
I found the mic I was remembering. It's the Sennheiser MKH 110, circa 1970-ish. It was flat down to 1 Hz. There's a variant (MKH 110-1) that's flat down to 0.1 Hz. See the graph on the manual page. Not that these mics were really intended for music. They are more measurement mics.

Still, that's not going to help much if the rest of the recording chain can't handle it. My mic preamps are only flat down to 10 Hz. But they are designed for music, not measurement, and there's not really any music content at 10 Hz., so I'm surprised it doesn't start rolling off higher. Probably they keep it that low to avoid phase shifting issues due to a HPF at 20 Hz. IDK.
post #30070 of 30070 Unread Today, 01:04 PM

There are still a number of mics that will go down that low, or are calibrated that low, but the vast majority of recording mics do not. Except for the kick drum mic, and some specialized piano mics, you don't want such low response -- just picks up handling noise and all that jazz. An AKG C414 XLS or Neumann U87 ("wideband" versions) roll off below 20 Hz, a Royer R121 ribbon rolls off below 30 Hz , many vocal mics roll off at 40 or 50 Hz or even higher (Shure SM58 at 50 Hz), etc.

Preamps are generally designed to cover the max audio range with margin so yeah that extra octave means it covers the range with minimal impact at the band edges. I have several rated from 1 Hz to 20 Hz or so. Don't use 'em much any more, alas, live recording is one of those pseudo-hobbies I just don't have time for these days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , integra dtc 9.8 , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub