Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 1027 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4797Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #30781 of 30805 Old 10-17-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 7,145
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 2092
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Great review, Jim, as always
Thank you Enrico. It's always a pleasure working with you and Brian.


Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
The port tube is 3.5" internally as you can see in these pictures sent to me by Brian this morning. Ports in the FV18 are the same we use in the FVX15 and FV15HP. I know by personal experience that it's not easy/accurate to measure a port tube with a tape measure. Best way to measure a port tube is with a vernier scale.
Well, maybe not always a pleasure... I send you guys a link to the article and you still let me publish it with a factual error? Nice.

I use the 'ol perpendicular tape measure thing; the tape goes into the port and then gets bent 90 degrees to cover the cross section. I just did it again and I'm getting less than 3.25" of width, but I'll take your pictures over my method any day. The article will be updated.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #30782 of 30805 Old 10-17-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,152
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Thank you Enrico. It's always a pleasure working with you and Brian.




Well, maybe not always a pleasure... I send you guys a link to the article and you still let me publish it with a factual error? Nice.

I use the 'ol perpendicular tape measure thing; the tape goes into the port and then gets bent 90 degrees to cover the cross section. I just did it again and I'm getting less than 3.25" of width, but I'll take your pictures over my method any day. The article will be updated.
To be honest, didn't notice it until @tvuong pointed it out



Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #30783 of 30805 Old 10-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Member
 
hhowards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Mateo, California
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
I'm a mod over at Home Theater Shack so I may be able to help resolve the problem. Would it not allow you to post a comment or was something else being blocked? You can reply via PM if you would prefer.
I tried to register in order to add a comment, but they have banned every email address known to humankind, so it is impossible to sign-up on the site unless you use Gmail. I genuinely appreciate your offer to help me out in your role as a Moderator, though to tell you the truth, I'm completely content knowing you've already received my high opinion of your review. However, I'll be glad to register on Home Theater Shack if my positive response there would be of benefit to you as an equipment evaluator on that forum.
By the way, are there contractual agreements that prevent you from publishing your review here on AVS? (Just wondering...)

Routinely stumbling down rabbit holes...
hhowards is offline  
 
post #30784 of 30805 Old 10-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,580
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Between the toy shelf and all those pictures? That is a battle you will never win my friend...
I fear you might be right. However, I've tamed the pictures and believe it or not the toys rarely rattle and if they do it just takes a good rustling to stop it. It may have been you who recommended this a while back, but this. A lot of this.



After playing Destiny 2 last night until around 2am, not too loud all things considered, I turn around and the R from the M R S decoration on the wall decides to slowly un-peel itself from the command grip that's been holding it on the wall for 2 years and fall to the ground. It's been through MUCH louder viewing than what was happening at 2am with my son sleeping. Still, I'm going to chalk it up to resonance....?

citsur86 is online now  
post #30785 of 30805 Old 10-17-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,152
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
I'll be taking measurements to see if I can fit two of these bad boys in my living room, one on each side of the couch to replace the pair of F12SEs

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069 copy.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	940.0 KB
ID:	2299934  



Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #30786 of 30805 Old 10-17-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I'll be taking measurements to see if I can fit two of these bad boys in my living room, one on each side of the couch to replace the pair of F12SEs





Get ready for the police to be called to your door


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imureh is online now  
post #30787 of 30805 Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 7,145
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 2092
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhowards View Post
I tried to register in order to add a comment, but they have banned every email address known to humankind, so it is impossible to sign-up on the site unless you use Gmail. I genuinely appreciate your offer to help me out in your role as a Moderator, though to tell you the truth, I'm completely content knowing you've already received my high opinion of your review. However, I'll be glad to register on Home Theater Shack if my positive response there would be of benefit to you as an equipment evaluator on that forum.
I wouldn't derive a benefit, per se, so no worries. I just figured if it was something you wanted to do I might be able to find out what the issue was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhowards View Post
By the way, are there contractual agreements that prevent you from publishing your review here on AVS? (Just wondering...)
Excellent question. My contract was rendered null and void when HTS was sold, so technically there's nothing forcing me to publish their any longer. Realistically the contract wasn't all that strict anyway, so I probably could have beat feet a while ago. I stayed for several reasons, some of which are no longer applicable (at one time it was a thriving community, but no longer). One of the biggest reasons though is I have total control over my work, from what products I review to every word published. Even when the original ahole owner was still around he left me alone. Believe me, that's not always the case in this biz. Some organizations exert 'guidance' and 'direction' over the material you publish, and I was having none of that. If my name is on the article I wouldn't tolerate even a single word not being mine. That type of arrangement is not easy to come by. I suppose there's nothing preventing me from publishing here - both sites are owned by VS - I just never explored the possibility.
citsur86 and bmcn like this.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #30788 of 30805 Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,354
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 837
if you like critique...your review is very similar to what I read in magazines but better. but Im not sure I like magazine reviews. cause they all positive...but I know I like rythmik subs...I dont know how I could word any different/better as I can post graphs in my pretty much outdoor size space and my rythmiks hit just as well as most other companies if not better...guess thats what I would like to hear from a reviewer is whats better/worse...but I realize thats not gonna happen either or you get no more reviews lol.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is offline  
post #30789 of 30805 Old 10-17-2017, 08:26 PM
Member
 
hhowards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Mateo, California
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
I suppose there's nothing preventing me from publishing [my Rythmik subwoofer reviews] here - both sites are owned by VS - I just never explored the possibility.
To my way of thinking, it would be absolutely appropriate for your Rythmik review to appear here as well, on the AVS Forum Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread, especially since you have full ownership of and complete editorial authority over the evaluations you write. We'll be quoting you for days (though I can also imagine that you might prefer to shy away from that sort of celebrity spotlight -- I probably would, too!)
gwsat and citsur86 like this.

Routinely stumbling down rabbit holes...
hhowards is offline  
post #30790 of 30805 Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 7,145
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 2092
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
if you like critique...your review is very similar to what I read in magazines but better. but Im not sure I like magazine reviews. cause they all positive...but I know I like rythmik subs...I dont know how I could word any different/better as I can post graphs in my pretty much outdoor size space and my rythmiks hit just as well as most other companies if not better...guess thats what I would like to hear from a reviewer is whats better/worse...but I realize thats not gonna happen either or you get no more reviews lol.
Your point is valid as the review industry in general suffers from a perception that most published articles are little more than sales brochures. In some cases the concern is legit, but in others not so much.

My approach is to be honest and let the chips fall where they may; I say what I like and dislike about everything, relative to the price (which, oddly enough, is not something many actually do). I try to word things in a manner I feel appropriately conveys professionalism, but sometimes even that doesn't go over well; I know of 3 manufacturers who will never let me review another one of their products because the evaluation wasn't all puppy dogs and roses, so sometimes it does limit my future prospects. I also imagine that honesty has scared off more than one company who was considering sending me something - you would be surprised how many times I've had a unit completely lined up only to have it pulled at the last minute with all communication coming to an instant halt - so it's possible the sword cuts me 2 ways. I consider that unfortunate, but I will never change my style. If the product stream dries up so be it, I can easily walk away. Publishing evals is a hobby based off a passion, and like most such endeavors it certainly does not pay the bills. My day job does that so I have total impunity to come and go as I please, say and do what I feel is best. That's a freedom very few reviewers have.

In the case of the FV18 I thought about adding the cost as a potential negative, but everyone's wallet is different so what is a hinderance for some is not a problem for others. The size could be considered a drawback as well, but I addressed that right up front by saying it was "a large industrial strength ported subwoofer" in the very first sentence. My hope was that would convey how big it is. I also voiced some concern about the documentation; even though improved, it still could be better. Their website is awful, but since it's being redesigned any mention of that is likely to be stale very shortly so it didn't seem pertinent. Beyond that, there's really not much to complain about with the FV18.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #30791 of 30805 Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 7,145
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 2092
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhowards View Post
We'll be quoting you for days (though I can also imagine that you might prefer to shy away from that sort of celebrity spotlight -- I probably would, too!)
Let me check with my agent. I'll have my people get back to you on that...
enricoclaudio likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #30792 of 30805 Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,354
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 837
thats very cool of you to respond jman

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is offline  
post #30793 of 30805 Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
In the case of the FV18 I thought about adding the cost as a potential negative, but everyone's wallet is different so what is a hinderance for some is not a problem for others. The size could be considered a drawback as well, but I addressed that right up front by saying it was "a large industrial strength ported subwoofer" in the very first sentence. My hope was that would convey how big it is. I also voiced some concern about the documentation; even though improved, it still could be better. Their website is awful, but since it's being redesigned any mention of that is likely to be stale very shortly so it didn't seem pertinent. Beyond that, there's really not much to complain about with the FV18.
Do you have link on the review? I would very much like to read it. My only complaint about Ryhmik was their website. But in the bigger picture, I aint gonna b?tch if they didnt have time to improve their website because it went into product development/improvement.
Bruce Watson likes this.

AVR Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V1500
Turntable/Cassette Deck ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX-800U
BluRay Yamaha BD-S681/Sony BDP-S360
Display Samsung UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"
Speakers PSB ImageT-45/Alphas Front, Image 8C/100c Ctr, Image 1B/RBH A600 Sur
Subwoofers Rythmic LV12-R
/PSB Subsonic 5
3db is online now  
post #30794 of 30805 Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 7,145
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 2092
You can find the article at this link.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #30795 of 30805 Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
Member
 
usaforce87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
*********For Sale*********
Hey I've been around a few years, more of a lurker than a poster. I'm getting out of the Air Force and need some money while I go to school and prep for commercial pilot life. I only mention that last part in case anyone knows a pilot that can help me pick a flight school haha.
ANYways... I have 2 Rythmik FV15HP 's (black oak) for sale. I got them in late 2013, but they have only been used about 16 full months, and I have a roommate who doesn't like them so they never get pushed. The reason for low use is I deployed a lot and they sat in a temperature controlled room all lonely like. I would call them mint condition, no issues. I would like to deliver these personally to avoid shipping, but it needs to be close to my trip home. I'll be driving from New Mexico to Ohio with a couple of sight seeing detours, so anything within reason I will drop off. Price wise I will go for what's fair. I'm doing this for the money and they are a couple of the best subs around so be fair to me and I'll be fair to you. Port stuffer/power cables/sub cables included. PM me for pics/offers/questions. Thanks! And sorry for the random post
-Travis
usaforce87 is offline  
post #30796 of 30805 Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,354
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 837
has anyone played around tested subs/stereo with test tones/sweeps? I found some bass tests on tidal with tones down to 5hz and sweeps from 0-100hz etc...only problem is that they play through my main focal speakers too. its good to know my focals play all the test tones without buzzing or blowing up, but when it gets below 30hz they down like 20db+ from lets say 100hz. my intent wasnt to play anything thru main speakers and just listen to subs. guess the crossover of small and 80hz isnt what I thought it was. all eq was off including audyssey. just curious if anyone out there messes around with tones and what their experience was? any tricks to using tones for setup? mainly about music for me.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is offline  
post #30797 of 30805 Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 19,377
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 3996
I started watching my Saving Private Ryan BD again earlier. This is the first time I have seen it since I got my FV18s. Its soundtrack simply blew me away, as it did the Academy, which gave it two sound related Oscars. The Omaha Beach scene may be the most wrenching thing I have seen and heard on film.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
gwsat is offline  
post #30798 of 30805 Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM
Member
 
Rychen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My UPS guy dropped off two FVX15’s at my house yesterday
What a workout getting them downstairs to my little home theater and in place(ish). Hopefully tomorrow I can try to run the YAPO thing and see if it sets them up better than it did my 12’s or I’ll do it by ear again 😳
citsur86 and JT78681 like this.

Not many people like me and that's ok because I don't need anyone's approval to be who I am.
Rychen is offline  
post #30799 of 30805 Old Today, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,360
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Do you have link on the review? I would very much like to read it. My only complaint about Ryhmik was their website. But in the bigger picture, I aint gonna b?tch if they didnt have time to improve their website because it went into product development/improvement.
I bet they will see a boost in sales once their website is updated, but then again they might not want that being a small business.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
JT78681 is online now  
post #30800 of 30805 Old Today, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,360
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rychen View Post
My UPS guy dropped off two FVX15’s at my house yesterday
What a workout getting them downstairs to my little home theater and in place(ish). Hopefully tomorrow I can try to run the YAPO thing and see if it sets them up better than it did my 12’s or I’ll do it by ear again 😳
Without pictures all we can do is take your word for it.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
JT78681 is online now  
post #30801 of 30805 Old Today, 05:59 AM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,580
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
I bet they will see a boost in sales once their website is updated, but then again they might not want that being a small business.


I bet you’re right regarding the boost in sales. I would assume being any kind of business that they would want a boost in sales, although given their popularity on this website alone, I bet they do pretty well. It really wouldn’t be all that hard to create a new website since they have most of the assets they need already in their current website. It’s more of an exercise in design and technology than content creation. Always an easier path. I’m a freelance web developer/designer on the side.
citsur86 is online now  
post #30802 of 30805 Old Today, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,360
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
I bet you’re right regarding the boost in sales. I would assume being any kind of business that they would want a boost in sales, although given their popularity on this website alone, I bet they do pretty well. It really wouldn’t be all that hard to create a new website since they have most of the assets they need already in their current website. It’s more of an exercise in design and technology than content creation. Always an easier path. I’m a freelance web developer/designer on the side.
Offer to build Brian a website in exchange for another FV15HP.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
JT78681 is online now  
post #30803 of 30805 Old Today, 06:05 AM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,580
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Offer to build Brian a website in exchange for another FV15HP.
Would you believe me if I told you I already had Well, not the FV15HP part haha

Edit: you actually reminded me about this. I know I wrote up an email or PM long back and I don't remember if I ever got a response, so i just went looking for it. Can't find a message from me to Brian/Enrico anywhere! Maybe I wrote it up and decided not to send it - weird!

Last edited by citsur86; Today at 06:14 AM.
citsur86 is online now  
post #30804 of 30805 Old Today, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 10,422
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
has anyone played around tested subs/stereo with test tones/sweeps? I found some bass tests on tidal with tones down to 5hz and sweeps from 0-100hz etc...only problem is that they play through my main focal speakers too. its good to know my focals play all the test tones without buzzing or blowing up, but when it gets below 30hz they down like 20db+ from lets say 100hz. my intent wasnt to play anything thru main speakers and just listen to subs. guess the crossover of small and 80hz isnt what I thought it was. all eq was off including audyssey. just curious if anyone out there messes around with tones and what their experience was? any tricks to using tones for setup? mainly about music for me.

Not for years. My previous commercial SW package and now REW does so much more so much easier and faster that mucking with individual tones is just not worth the effort. Please note it is very easy to destroy speakers playing test tones since they tend to be played loudly for extended time. Brian has some guidance on duty cycle somewhere in this monstrous thread.

A crossover of 80 Hz means there is still significant energy at 40 and 160 Hz; the sound does not instantaneously drop to zero on either side of the crossover frequency. There is a slope determined by the crossover order (design). About 20 dB down an octave from the crossover frequency is not unusual.

You should be able to disable your other speakers to sweep just the sub (again, REW and other programs allow you to do that).

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
post #30805 of 30805 Old Today, 07:59 AM
Exclusively Servo
 
Rythmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,099
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
In the case of the FV18 I thought about adding the cost as a potential negative, but everyone's wallet is different so what is a hinderance for some is not a problem for others. The size could be considered a drawback as well, but I addressed that right up front by saying it was "a large industrial strength ported subwoofer" in the very first sentence. My hope was that would convey how big it is. I also voiced some concern about the documentation; even though improved, it still could be better. Their website is awful, but since it's being redesigned any mention of that is likely to be stale very shortly so it didn't seem pertinent. Beyond that, there's really not much to complain about with the FV18.

Jim, thanks for spending time for the review. For a lot of us, this is a passion more than anything else. I really think servo brings in improvement to the sound quality instead of just slap a driver, an enclosure, with a off-the-shelf amplifier. But that is my personal opinion. In the review, you mention how you started playing Tony Macalpine track at lower volume just to hear if the detail is lost at lower volume. It is also a good test for sound coherence. Some readers can easily miss that or not understanding how important that is. But it is the strength of servo subs providing consistent detail from lower volume level and up.


FV18 started about two years ago. At that time I wasn't sure how to put the long pipes in the enclosure. From aerodynamic point of view, shooting straight is the best. So I thought of making them vertical. But even with that, I cannot fit them well. After some struggling, I finally decided to use elbows. The effective pipe length is 35" That is longer than the height of the enclosure no matter how I design it. I also avoid all sharp corners on the enclosures. I admit it still look "industrial". What I hope is the finish and the driver can ease that a bit.

Last edited by Rythmik; Today at 08:21 AM.
Rythmik is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , integra dtc 9.8 , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off