post #5791 of 16664 Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len B View Post

Based on your room size, the fact that you will have the sub near-field, and how your listening tastes aren't extreme, I'd go with the F15 HP. If you go back a bit in this thread, you'll see that someone went through the same decision as you and picked the F15 HP because of the edge in sound quality. Also, having xt32 in your receiver will make for an easier set up if you ever get a second F15 HP. Of course you could always set up 2 FV15 HPs, but going dual sealed will be easier to place the subs (they're smaller) and you'll have better sound quality.

I don't think you could go wrong either way, though, especially since you say it's mostly HT (then maybe you could sacrifice a tad on the sq).

-Len B

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post

Yup, that someone was me and there is a difference in sound quality, so if your listening preferences are not that you're listening at reference levels all the time the F15HP will likely have all the output you need and then some plus the edge in better sound quality. And that is a good point about them being smaller. It's quite a big difference. The F15's just look better and are easier to integrate into a room.

I still get a huge smile on my face when these things are pounding away. Not the slightest hint of loose boomy artificial bass I have heard before (with another ported sub), but clean, tight, articulate musical notes that will hit you in the chest with authority.

The F15 is no slouch for home theater use and sounds great doing it. People don't give them enough credit for HT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Another vote for the FV15HP, especially if you are going primarily HT/TV use. I have the FV15HP and could not ask for more in a sub or more from a sub. This thing impresses me every time I watch a movie or listen to music. You will not be disappointed, trust me.

With the "tuning options" you have with the FV15HP you can tailor the sound to your liking as well so consider that too. I have now had the sub long enough to start listening to different settings and tweaking here and there. Lots of options for you to experiment with to see what you like.

Either way I'm positive that you won't be disappointed, that the silver lining in your "dilemma".

Regards,

RTROSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryU View Post

One thing I don't hear about when people are trying to pick a sub is what are your main speakers. You don't need a big FV15HP if you have book shelf speakers with 4-6 inch woofers, unless you will be getting some big floor stand speakers in the future it just way over kill. Just a thought, the sub needs to match the rest of the system and the room.

The last post is a good point i have thought of as well. Im upgrading my entire system and will be going with dynaudio x12's, x22 and dm 2/6's in a 5.1 setup. This setup will have usable output below 80hz. Musical subwoofers rule the dynaudio thread with many people choosing rel (Im not considering them personally.) Dual's would not be an option until if/when i move out of my townhouse and into a stand alone structure which is not happening any time soon. Nearfield placement is not set in stone as right now my svs is up front about 12 ft from the listening position but i do have a nearfield placement option if it measures ok with the rs spl meter. With all that said the F15HP may be the right choice but it just seems in general that to be truly satisfied with sealed you need a dual setup which is not an option. Maybe its time to flip a coin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 16664 Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

The last post is a good point i have thought of as well. Im upgrading my entire system and will be going with dynaudio x12's, x22 and dm 2/6's in a 5.1 setup. This setup will have usable output below 80hz. Musical subwoofers rule the dynaudio thread with many people choosing rel (Im not considering them personally.) Dual's would not be an option until if/when i move out of my townhouse and into a stand alone structure which is not happening any time soon. Nearfield placement is not set in stone as right now my svs is up front about 12 ft from the listening position but i do have a nearfield placement option if it measures ok with the rs spl meter. With all that said the F15HP may be the right choice but it just seems in general that to be truly satisfied with sealed you need a dual setup which is not an option. Maybe its time to flip a coin

I was pretty satisfied with the way one F15HP sounded in my 4500 cu ft room actually. I only got two at the time as a future proofing. Since Rythmik offers 10% off when you buy more than one and I got in right before the price increase I thought I'd rather get both now. Otherwise I think I would have been happy with one. The difference between one and two is not twice as good.

I run the two of them slightly leaner than one which gives more headroom but the one F15HP had plenty of juice.
post #5793 of 16664 Old 03-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Im also looking at either the gramma or great gramma isolation pad since i have carpet over wood in a townhouse. The smaller gramma would have the sub overhang 2 in on the sides but fit the depth perfectly. The great gramma would fit the sides perfectly but would be almost 9 in extra deep of wasted pad space. Which do you think would be the better solution? http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolati...ion_gramma.asp
post #5794 of 16664 Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM

Liked: 11
Here is a shot of my completed ds1510 subs.
So far I'm loving them.
post #5795 of 16664 Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboswede95 View Post

So far I'm loving them.

Very, very nice!

Say, what are your exterior dimensions?
Did you in essence build F15HP clones? That's my plan for this spring.

Really nice finishing work.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #5796 of 16664 Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Very, very nice!

Say, what are your exterior dimensions?
Did you in essence build F15HP clones? That's my plan for this spring.

Really nice finishing work.

Cheers

Thanks!
It was a compromise(waf) I prefer the look of a box that is taller than wider. I ended up building an E15 clone but added 1" to the depth.
post #5797 of 16664 Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

So far I'm loving them.

Very. Ice looking! Was their a build thread? Did you veneer these?

I am planning a build of some high efficient two ways and I have not veneered before, so trying to learn all that I can from anyone that has.

Thanks for posting, they look great. The rhythmik drivers are the best looking IMO, so it makes sense to leave them naked too!
post #5798 of 16664 Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

Very. Ice looking! Was their a build thread? Did you veneer these?

I am planning a build of some high efficient two ways and I have not veneered before, so trying to learn all that I can from anyone that has.

Thanks for posting, they look great. The rhythmik drivers are the best looking IMO, so it makes sense to leave them naked too!

Thanks... I have a coulple build threads on other sites but not here. I might do a overview of my build here eventually. I did veneer them myself and used magnets for the grills..
post #5799 of 16664 Old 03-13-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

The last post is a good point i have thought of as well. Im upgrading my entire system and will be going with dynaudio x12's, x22 and dm 2/6's in a 5.1 setup. This setup will have usable output below 80hz. Musical subwoofers rule the dynaudio thread with many people choosing rel (Im not considering them personally.) Dual 's would not be an option until if/when i move out of my townhouse and into a stand alone structure which is not happening any time soon. Nearfield placement is not set in stone as right now my svs is up front about 12 ft from the listening position but i do have a nearfield placement option if it measures ok with the rs spl meter. With all that said the F15HP may be the right choice but it just seems in general that to be truly satisfied with sealed you need a dual setup which is not an option. Maybe its time to flip a coin

I'm totally happy with 1 f15 hp in a 4500 cubic foot room that opens up onto some large spaces. Two would have just been some nice icing.

I actually had a similar situation. I'm used to JL Audio sealed car subs and live in a townhouse. I love HT, but tight, clean sound is a priority.
I use Sierra NRTs as mains, which are precise and highly detailed. It's good to have a sub that can keep up with them.

-Len B
post #5800 of 16664 Old 03-13-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

So far I'm loving them.

Sweet! Excellent finish work! Enjoy!
post #5801 of 16664 Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

One thing I don't hear about when people are trying to pick a sub is what are your main speakers. You don't need a big FV15HP if you have book shelf speakers with 4-6 inch woofers, unless you will be getting some big floor stand speakers in the future it just way over kill. Just a thought, the sub needs to match the rest of the system and the room.

I don't agree totally with you on this point, unless you get more specific about what your focus is. If it is 2 channel music I might agree with you on the point (not needing a big sub). If your focus is movies there are not any "off the shelf" book shelf speakers and very few floor standers that can match the LFE output needed for the "movie experience" that a dedicated sub can do.

IMO there is not any 4-6 inch woofer book shelves that can even get close to matching the LFE output of a dedicated sub.

I do agree that your subs needs to integrate well with your system complimenting it, vs. being a "stand out" part of the system. Again here is where the Rythmik's stand out by having a lot of different options in their settings and tweaking abilities.

Personally my system is the Ascend Towers/Center speakers. They do very well in music without the sub as they dig pretty deep, but with movies they just don't have enough grunt to handle the true LFE stuff with movies. If I was just using the towers for music listening I could probably get away without using a dedicated sub (with movies I would just miss too much LFE to be satisfied). Having said all of that I understand that music and how we listen to it is a very personal matter and what works for me very likely may not work for you.

Regards,

RTROSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #5802 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 01:27 AM

Liked: 10
Does everyone here that has Audyssey use it to setup their sub bass management? I'd really rather not use Audyssey. I've tried running it on my mains (klipsch rf-7 iis) and the result was just not to my liking. The bass was recessed and the highs way too hot. I generally leave it off.
post #5803 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtle View Post

Does everyone here that has Audyssey use it to setup their sub bass management? I'd really rather not use Audyssey. I've tried running it on my mains (klipsch rf-7 iis) and the result was just not to my liking. The bass was recessed and the highs way too hot. I generally leave it off.

try experimenting with sub level and cross over. I would think rf 7's would sound good crossed at 60. you could also make sure dynamic volume is off and eperiment with dynamic eq. I like dynamic eq on for lower level listening. also make sure your speakers are set to small.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #5804 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsegato View Post

I bought a D15se used locally to compliment my focal setup. I bought to enhance my Electra SW1000be sub. I so far configured the D15se to work on 50hz and down to utilize its 15" sealed system and tuned the Electra for full range but not work to hard below 30.
The sw1000 matches my 1028be fronts better but the ability to setup a pure bottom extension with the d15se is great.
I don't think color of the sound at that ultra low end is concern with mixing and matching subs
Overall I am very impressed how the d15se holds its own vs it's 'big brother'. The tunable settings on both is a real win.
... and shiny black looks awesome !

That's awesome, I bought mine over two years ago...It really kicks butt
post #5805 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

I've tried Audyssey, but was quite dissatisfied with results.

I prefer to set system up manually; takes longer but it's more flexible and end results are much better.
post #5806 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do. I don't like the one built into the receiver [MultEQ XT], but I do love the standalone Audyssey bass management [SVS EQ1].
post #5807 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have two DIY F25s for my miniscule Focal 4 inch woofers. All the bass seems to come from them even I sit a couple feet from the subs. The bass never seems to overwhelm them. Perhaps, this is attributed to the SVS EQ1. The level for the speakers and subs are exactly at 0dB @ reference point. The soundtrack of the 'Red Riding Hood' was superb...smooth and subtle. The soundtrack of the 'Unstoppable' was sharp...razor sharp...forceful but never overwhelmed.
post #5808 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

If you haven't, you may want to ask in the audyssey or better yet, your specific avr thread for suggestions on setup. I'm running xt32 (denon 4311) and am quite happy with the sub integration.
post #5809 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 AM

I am very interested in the disagreement currently happening here. I am trying to choose which CI kit to build into my theater. I am running aviatrix mtm as L/C/R with the matching tm surrounds. My MRX 500 measured my speakers in room as approx 70hz -2db. The area of the combined woofers in the mtm is equal to approx an 8" woofer. I can't decide FV15HP or F15HP. Use is %100 percent tv/movies, but I am certainly concerned with sound quality. Problem is I have never owned a sub as I run big selah audio 3-ways in my living room. What sayest y'all?

P.S. just saw on the rythmik site that there is a amp version that will take a regular f15 up to 200hz. I don't want it, but I only get one chance to get this right.
post #5810 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono2channel View Post

I am very interested in the disagreement currently happening here. I am trying to choose which CI kit to build into my theater. I am running aviatrix mtm as L/C/R with the matching tm surrounds. My MRX 500 measured my speakers in room as approx 70hz -2db. The area of the combined woofers in the mtm is equal to approx an 8" woofer. I can't decide FV15HP or F15HP. Use is %100 percent tv/movies, but I am certainly concerned with sound quality. Problem is I have never owned a sub as I run big selah audio 3-ways in my living room. What sayest y'all?

P.S. just saw on the rythmik site that there is a amp version that will take a regular f15 up to 200hz. I don't want it, but I only get one chance to get this right.

To me, speaker size is relevant largely as a stand in for the answer to the question "how low can my main speakers play cleanly and without compression at the levels I want to play?" That tells you how high you need the sub to be able to perform in order to avoid frequency anomalies when things get loud.

How much output you need is driven by how loudly you play movies or music, and how far you sit from the speakers. You may have chosen speaker sizes with these issues in mind, or may not have. That is, a person could have really big towers but never listen anywhere near reference levels, in which case they would not absolutely need subs that could match the unused portion of their main speakers' performance. Of course if your main speakers distort audibly and compress significantly at the listening levels you'd prefer, that's a different problem, and you probably should invest in a sub that will keep up with the system you'll have to get someday to actually meet your desires. One less thing to replace.

Size of the room has an impact as well, but it's different with the longer waves of a sub than with mids and highs. If you want to "pressurize" your room (like the inside of a car with a big sub) you'll need lots of displacement and lots of power to drive that displacement if it's a big room. IMHO, for folks that listen significantly below reference, pressurization is a non-issue.
post #5811 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm about to rearrange my room. When should we begin to be concerned about signal cable length? I'm looking at about 25 feet, but might order cables longer for future needs..

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #5812 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

I'm about to rearrange my room. When should we begin to be concerned about signal cable length? I'm looking at about 25 feet, but might order cables longer for future needs..

I currently have two 35 ft and two 50 ft RCA/sub runs and can't say I have ever noticed an issue. Also, my AVR has left/right or front/back LFE configurations. In my case I use the L/R and have two "Y" splits facilitating both a 35 and 50 ft run per side etc.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #5813 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I don't agree totally with you on this point, unless you get more specific about what your focus is. If it is 2 channel music I might agree with you on the point (not needing a big sub). If your focus is movies there are not any "off the shelf" book shelf speakers and very few floor standers that can match the LFE output needed for the "movie experience" that a dedicated sub can do.

IMO there is not any 4-6 inch woofer book shelves that can even get close to matching the LFE output of a dedicated sub.

I do agree that your subs needs to integrate well with your system complimenting it, vs. being a "stand out" part of the system. Again here is where the Rythmik's stand out by having a lot of different options in their settings and tweaking abilities.

Personally my system is the Ascend Towers/Center speakers. They do very well in music without the sub as they dig pretty deep, but with movies they just don't have enough grunt to handle the true LFE stuff with movies. If I was just using the towers for music listening I could probably get away without using a dedicated sub (with movies I would just miss too much LFE to be satisfied). Having said all of that I understand that music and how we listen to it is a very personal matter and what works for me very likely may not work for you.

Regards,

RTROSE

Sorry RTTOSE I think you may have misunderstood me or I wasn't clear. I'm not saying you may not need a sub, I don't think any system is complete without one and I never play mine without the sub turned on. Let me put it this way if the main speakers are only able to put out a max SPL of say 105db's and you mate them to a sub that can put out 120db's then if you play them both to close to max SPL then the sub will dominate and over power the mains. So what do you do you turn down the sub to balance with the mains. You have bought more sub than you can use and spent more money than you needed to. This is true for movies or music; I have had my sub turned up to the point in movies that you couldn't hear what was being said because the bass was so loud. If you buy larger main speakers in the future then the added expense maybe justified. Most of my HT was put together on a shoe string budget, I think I've done pretty well I'm happy with it but is it ever done. I also didn't have the money to go overkill on anything and everything is balanced in output. I have a 4300 cu ft room so it takes a lot of speaker to fill it up with sound. I turned it up to reference level and listened to it for a little while not long ago and my ears hurt when I turned it down but it sounded great. I'm about 50/50 movies and music. By the way I have a Rythmik DS1505 in a 4cuft box mated to an 8.2 system (I have wide speakers in the front). I really like the way JHAz explained it a few posts up I agree with him completely. Hope this makes what I was trying to say a little clearer.
LarryU
post #5814 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

So in my seemingly never ending internal debate between ordering the F15HP or the FV15HP the F25 has sparked my interest as well. I see this model has been in the redesign phase with a new 800w amp for a few months now. I know it is nothing more than an educated guess but do you guys think we are talking a few weeks or a few months until this new F25 is available?
post #5815 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Check post 4778-I'm afraid your looking at several months, not just a few-looks like there are several "irons in the fire" before the 800 amp production is realized-with the 1400 amp farther out after the 800 becomes available.
post #5816 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Sorry RTTOSE I think you may have misunderstood me or I wasn't clear. I'm not saying you may not need a sub, I don't think any system is complete without one and I never play mine without the sub turned on. Let me put it this way if the main speakers are only able to put out a max SPL of say 105db's and you mate them to a sub that can put out 120db's then if you play them both to close to max SPL then the sub will dominate and over power the mains. So what do you do you turn down the sub to balance with the mains. You have bought more sub than you can use and spent more money than you needed to. This is true for movies or music; I have had my sub turned up to the point in movies that you couldn't hear what was being said because the bass was so loud. If you buy larger main speakers in the future then the added expense maybe justified. Most of my HT was put together on a shoe string budget, I think I've done pretty well I'm happy with it but is it ever done. I also didn't have the money to go overkill on anything and everything is balanced in output. I have a 4300 cu ft room so it takes a lot of speaker to fill it up with sound. I turned it up to reference level and listened to it for a little while not long ago and my ears hurt when I turned it down but it sounded great. I'm about 50/50 movies and music. By the way I have a Rythmik DS1505 in a 4cuft box mated to an 8.2 system (I have wide speakers in the front). I really like the way JHAz explained it a few posts up I agree with him completely. Hope this makes what I was trying to say a little clearer.
LarryU

Ok,

Now this makes perfect sense to me. I guess I just did not understand what you were getting at with your first post. We are on the same page and I agree with your above explanation. The most important thing is that all the speakers work together as a UNIT or SYSTEM just not a whole bunch of speakers thrown together willy nilly.

Regards,

RTROSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #5817 of 16664 Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 View Post

Question, whats the status of Subs featuring the XLR inputs and master/slave connection? Are any available right now? I noticed a new XLR 2/3 model that has both the parametric EQ and XLR inputs. Is this now available? Will the PEQ work when using the XLR inputs? If so will it also send the EQ'd signal out to the slave XLR subs? Also are there going to be any higher powered plate amp options with both XLR inputs and the PEQ besides the 370 watt version?

I asked Brian most of these questions as I am waiting myself for the XLR versions to roll in:
- XLR 2/3 will be available either at the end of this month or in April sometime
- as per Brian, the Master will export all controls to the Slave. The Slave will have all its controls disabled except for phase, which can still be adjusted as needed
- I am planning to get 2 E15's with XLR, so I hope there will be higher powered amp options

It would be nice if some kind of documentation were available on these new amps.

post #5818 of 16664 Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 AM

I have heard a lot of good things about FV15HP and Rythmik Audio line in general and excellent customer service. I am not sure though as I am not receiving responses to my PM and few phone calls I made to +512 565 0292 (left VM) for few questions I have before the purchase. It makes me think who and how we contact if there were issues. Is this the general contact number or you guys know any others?
post #5819 of 16664 Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekajnabi View Post

I have heard a lot of good things about FV15HP and Rythmik Audio line in general and excellent customer service. I am not sure though as I am not receiving responses to my PM and few phone calls I made to +512 565 0292 (left VM) for few questions I have before the purchase. It makes me think who and how we contact if there were issues. Is this the general contact number or you guys know any others?

PMs here to Rythmik (Brian) can go unnoticed. Best method I have found is the Rythmik website contact page (link below). In the past, Enrico will respond via email within 24 hours. You have to keep in mind Brian does it all: design, parts manufacturing and delivery, assembly, testing, and shipping. He assembles and tests every single Rythmik product shipped. And with the recent big demand (price increase), I bet he is hopping, and on the run. Brian is a stand up guy, cut him a little slack and patience. Not to mention a fine product.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/contact.html
post #5820 of 16664 Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

PMs here to Rythmik (Brian) can go unnoticed. Best method I have found is the Rythmik website contact page (link below). In the past, Enrico will respond via email within 24 hours. You have to keep in mind Brian does it all: design, parts manufacturing and delivery, assembly, testing, and shipping. He assembles and tests every single Rythmik product shipped. And with the recent big demand (price increase), I bet he is hopping, and on the run. Brian is a stand up guy, cut him a little slack and patience. Not to mention a fine product.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/contact.html

Also keep in mind that Brian also has a "real" full-time job as well.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page