Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5971 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
njfoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

0dB. But sometimes I use DEQ.

Not to derail the thread into an audyssey thread but do you not always like the way dynamic eq sounds? I personally have it on all the time but i generally listen at lower volumes.
njfoses is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5972 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
sofast1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Coast of Florida
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
51dueller; Thanks for the review,always good to hear from happy Rythmik owners! What kind of logo is that on the front?
sofast1 is offline  
post #5973 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
sofast1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Coast of Florida
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, the new cables are in place and my two F15HP will be here tomorrow so I thought I'd start another opinionated conversation with a timely question. What are your thoughts about subwoofer break-in? I've always broken my subs in by just using them as I would normally,nothing special. Any thoughts?
sofast1 is offline  
post #5974 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Member
 
LarryU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

For the FV15HP, what shall be the base settings when running Audyssey setup?
14Hz, Lo damping, Rumble Filter Off?

I believe Brian has said to always have the Rumble Filter On for ported subs and 14Hz, Lo damping then after you run Audissey you can change the filter settings.
Larry
LarryU is offline  
post #5975 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Member
 
51dueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

51dueller; Thanks for the review,always good to hear from happy Rythmik owners! What kind of logo is that on the front?

The grill is technically for a Polk PSW-12. I bought the feet and grill from Polk. The grill doesn't fit properly as I need to extend the pins on it. It just touches the surround with it on. I currently have it off and plan to make a Rythmik badge for it eventually.
51dueller is offline  
post #5976 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Member
 
LarryU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51dueller View Post

I've had my 12" Rythmik for a couple months now and figured I could do a mini review as the 15" get much more attention in here. I choose the Rythmik because I wanted clean bass and an enclosure size of the average box store subwoofer.

My DYI Rythmik is the 12" GR Research driver with the A300SE amp built to the F-12 plans (I modified the dimensions slightly for my grill choice). I wanted it to match my Polk speakers.

I was my first time veneering so its far from perfect, I just think its antiqued.

My system consists of:
Polk Monitor 70
Polk Monitor CS2
Polk Monitor 40
Denon AVR-1712

When I first got it, I was just running the Polks in a 5.0 setup. For the hell of it I just hooked it up without rerunning Audyssey. Even out of the box (so to speak) it blended effortlessly with the mains. With my previous speaker setup, I couldn't get a Polk PSW-10 (I know, I know) to blend that well calibrated. Although I was using a Denon AVR-1508 at the time.

From reading all I could on these subwoofers I knew to expect clean bass. Boy what an understatement! My experience is more with car audio where I'm adamantly sealed enclosures. At first I was like is it even working but I could see the woofer happily pounding away. After running through a marathon of songs, I could really appreciate how everything sounded. I just wanted to spend all night listening to my favourite songs as everything just sounded new.

I will say I don't have golden or magic ears or listen to exotic instrumental music. I've never had a subwoofer this clean, controlled and digs this deep. I'm amazed how much low frequency content there is on tv, movies and some music. Just don't realize it until you have something that can play it back. I have dynamic eq set to -10 for tv and my computer. Blu rays are at 0. I run it level matched with my speakers.

I live in a small apartment and can't really open it up to see what it can do. Usually listen to tv at -40 and movies at -25/30. This past weekend, I brought it over to my brothers house and hooked it up. His system is comprised of Paradigm v.4 series speakers and a Yamaha RX-V750 receiver. I just plugged the Rythmik in place of his PS-1000. Didn't want to mess with his calibration. I set the gain to 3/4 on the amp with the reciever at -25. Its a 18'x30' room with a 9' foot ceiling and the couch is 12' away. I played the "How to train your dragon" final dragon fight, "Thor" ice giant and final fight scenes and then threw in some "The expendables".

I was quite amazed what the little 12" could put out in that room with thick heavy carpet. Just don't realize how loud it was because it was so clean. When Thor was smashing the light bridge, I could actually feel it on my chest. I can only imagine what some peoples rooms are like that you see in the DYI section here.

So in the end I have so say its the little sub that could. It may not be the loudest subwoofer (that is what the 15" big brother is for) out there but it will play whatever you throw at it perfect. I couldn't be more happier.

Thank you for your review. I think the FV15HP gets too much attention on here. Rythmik makes a full line of killer subs that don't get talked about much. You did a fantastic job on that sub you can't tell it was your first; I would guess you've done some wood work before the veneer and stain look great.
Larry
LarryU is offline  
post #5977 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Member
 
LarryU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

Well, the new cables are in place and my two F15HP will be here tomorrow so I thought I'd start another opinionated conversation with a timely question. What are your thoughts about subwoofer break-in? I've always broken my subs in by just using them as I would normally,nothing special. Any thoughts?

Defiantly just use it and enjoy. Brian warns about using test tones that they are too hard on the amp, doesn't say you can't but to play and rest doesn't sound like a good way to break one in. I just played music and sat back and was amazed at how much better it sounded as time went by, not that it sounded bad when I first fired it up it just sounded even better as time passed. Youll see.
Larry
LarryU is offline  
post #5978 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
sofast1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Coast of Florida
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryU View Post

Defiantly just use it and enjoy. Brian warns about using test tones that they are too hard on the amp, doesn’t say you can’t but to play and rest doesn’t sound like a good way to break one in. I just played music and sat back and was amazed at how much better it sounded as time went by, not that it sounded bad when I first fired it up it just sounded even better as time passed. You‘ll see.
Larry

Yeah, that's what I've always done. Man,I'm just looking at the spaces where they're going to go and the unconnected cables just laying there.........less than 24 hours!


Defiantly?
sofast1 is offline  
post #5979 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Member
 
LarryU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

Yeah, that's what I've always done. Man,I'm just looking at the spaces where they're going to go and the unconnected cables just laying there.........less than 24 hours!


Defiantly?

This will be the longest 24hrs of your life.
LarryU is offline  
post #5980 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Member
 
Follz20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryU View Post

This will be the longest 24hrs of your life.

+1

There is definitely a break-in period for these subs, so as good as they will sound out of the box, give them time for breaking in before you judge critically... though I guarantee you will be more than satisfied.

Personally, I always err on the side of caution with new speakers/subs, I never try to fully stretch its legs from the get-go.
Follz20 is offline  
post #5981 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benclement11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_m View Post

ben,

Was this observation based on music/movies or both? In my opinion, the differences between the F15 and the FV15HP are easier to spot in music. For movies, the differences are also there but their sound signatures are different.

I have compared 1 F15, 2 F15s ,1 FV15HP by themselves and FV15HP and F15together. I use dual F15s now. Will probably try a 3rd F15 soon.

I did prefer the F15 more in overall sound quality, but it didn't have the power I needed in my large room. While there is a difference, I feel that it is very slight. Someone who goes the ported route, I do not believe will feel like they are lacking in the sound quality department. Especially if this is the first high end sub they have purchased. They both sound amazing. The sealed version is a little cleaner, but to me, it was not a deal breaker. You have to stack 3 of those F15's on top of each other to outperform a single FV15HP above its tuning point. If I had a smaller room I would have went F15HP or F15. I don't...I have a large room, too large for an F15 or F15HP with the output I like for music and movies.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
.
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
benclement11 is offline  
post #5982 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Member
 
LarryU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by follz20 View Post

+1

there is definitely a break-in period for these subs, so as good as they will sound out of the box, give them time for breaking in before you judge critically... Though i guarantee you will be more than satisfied.

Personally, i always err on the side of caution with new speakers/subs, i never try to fully stretch its legs from the get-go.

+100%
LarryU is offline  
post #5983 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benclement11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryU View Post

Thank you for your review. I think the FV15HP gets too much attention on here. Rythmik makes a full line of killer subs that don’t get talked about much. You did a fantastic job on that sub you can’t tell it was your first; I would guess you’ve done some wood work before the veneer and stain look great.
Larry

huh? 2 years ago when I bought my sub hardly anyone spoke of the FV15HP. The F12, F15 and F15HP by far had the most discussion. I would bet doughnuts to dollars that Brian's sales reflect sealed over ported. I have not been on here a lot lately as I am happy with my upgrade from F15 to FV15HP so maybe it has been purchased more as of late. Also, I don't think anyone is saying the other products are inferior. It's all about needs. That's it. That's what dictates a purchase. There is a science to it. You listen at x db and you are concerned about y, buy sub z. Every sub has it's limitations...is what sub z offers going to meet my requirements. If yes, that's the sub.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
.
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
benclement11 is offline  
post #5984 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
qguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Sofast1,

go check the door, it could be already there. Did you check the neighbors front yard ? Delivery man could have left it there.

Did you put bed cusion on your side of the fence ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUDTPbDhnA
qguy is offline  
post #5985 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
sofast1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Coast of Florida
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post

Sofast1,

go check the door, it could be already there. Did you check the neighbors front yard ? Delivery man could have left it there.

Did you put bed cusion on your side of the fence ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUDTPbDhnA

They're on the road, south of Jacksonville on the way to Clearwater(not where I live) where they will go on the local truck(love the tracking#) to my house. I talked to the UPS driver Monday when he delivered my new cables. I told him about the subs and how he could back right up to my front door. Then I asked him what kind of chilled beverage would he like waiting for him,perhaps a snack?

Less than 19 1/2 hours!
sofast1 is offline  
post #5986 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KMFDMvsEnya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Speaker/subwoofer break-in is bunk. Superficially it seems that it should be intuitively true but the only thing breaking in is the owner's ears.

The whole point of quality audio is that it is accurate from the get go, if there is that much required leeway for it to perform better than that increases the likelihood of the product falling out of spec for accuracy.

I have posted before a great article from the perspective from a well informed individual who use to believe in such things but after measuring drivers before and after various break-in regiments the data proved that it is a fallacy.
http://www.audioholics.com/education...act-or-fiction

My own experience with my Rythmik required sometime to become accustomed to the greater accuracy and 'smoothness' in bass than what my old ported sub use to produce.

The Break-In myth does decrease returns because most people need to take some time to become accustomed to the different performance from their prior expectations and experiences created by their prior setup.

Best Regards
KvE

PS I am really curious when the 1200watt Dual15s is coming out, I think I want to go the DIY route again with that.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

KMFDMvsEnya is offline  
post #5987 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Member
 
BluesSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Parrish, FL
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SoFast,

You're just up the road from Bradenton. We'll have to get together sometime and compare notes.

Blues
BluesSailor is offline  
post #5988 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
sofast1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Coast of Florida
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Speaker/subwoofer break-in is bunk. Superficially it seems that it should be intuitively true but the only thing breaking in is the owner's ears.

The whole point of quality audio is that it is accurate from the get go, if there is that much required leeway for it to perform better than that increases the likelihood of the product falling out of spec for accuracy.

I have posted before a great article from the perspective from a well informed individual who use to believe in such things but after measuring drivers before and after various break-in regiments the data proved that it is a fallacy.

My own experience with my Rythmik required sometime to become accustomed to the greater accuracy and 'smoothness' in bass than what my old ported sub use to produce.

The Break-In myth does decrease returns because most people need to take some time to become accustomed to the different performance from their prior expectations and experiences created by their prior setup.

Best Regards
KvE

PS I am really curious when the 1200watt Dual15s is coming out, I think I want to go the DIY route again with that.

As I mentioned above,I've never done anything special,just played them as I normally would. However,I read this and I think the author has a lot of credibility;http://www.gr-research.com/burnin.htm Decide for yourself.
sofast1 is offline  
post #5989 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
sofast1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Coast of Florida
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesSailor View Post

SoFast,

You're just up the road from Bradenton. We'll have to get together sometime and compare notes.

Blues

Across the Skyway,about an hour or a little more now with all the snowbirds still here. I live on one of the barrier islands,similar to Bradenton Beach(which is very nice!).
sofast1 is offline  
post #5990 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 5,997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I have stated before wire break-in is something I find very hard to believe. Speakers do break in, however, and the effects are measurable. Many years ago I verified Magnepan's claims of a 5 Hz drop in FR after many hours of playing. For grins, when we ran the tests we also burned in several conventional speakers and also found FR changes. In speaking with manufacturers, the response was pretty uniform that the inner suspension (spyder) was the culprit, much more so than the outer ring (which we had first assumed, forgetting there's another suspension inside the speaker). The changes in FR were almost all on the low end; the top end extended a little but was close to measurement uncertainty.

The Maggies were still changing a bit from 50 to 100 hours, and virtually no change at 200 hours. The conventional drivers were essentially unchanged after the 50 hour measurement. I wish we had more closer measurements, but only did 0, 50, 100 and 200 hours.

FWIWFM - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #5991 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pronghorn/az's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

Across the Skyway,about an hour or a little more now with all the snowbirds still here. I live on one of the barrier islands,similar to Bradenton Beach(which is very nice!).

Used to live in Sarasota. When I visit I'll let you know!!!

Jeff
pronghorn/az is offline  
post #5992 of 16550 Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryU View Post

I believe Brian has said to always have the Rumble Filter On for ported subs and 14Hz, Lo damping then after you run Audissey you can change the filter settings.
Larry

For FV15HP, should I run the setup with the port plugged or with both ports open?
Skylinestar is online now  
post #5993 of 16550 Old 03-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Member
 
LarryU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would start with both ports open. Then if you choose to run it with one port blocked then rerun audissey.
LarryU is offline  
post #5994 of 16550 Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Senior Member
 
porksoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow i haven't posted or checked this thread in a while. So many pages and pages and pages...

I am very happy with my 12" but i think soon i will be ordering a bigger unit for my HT and move the 12" to my 2ch room.

Whats the best tight bass bang nowadays still the F15 / F15HP or we are to expect something new this summer?

F12 is probably the first subwoofer that i am happy with (without breaking the bank).

Cheers
porksoda is offline  
post #5995 of 16550 Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Member
 
LarryU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

huh? 2 years ago when I bought my sub hardly anyone spoke of the FV15HP. The F12, F15 and F15HP by far had the most discussion. I would bet doughnuts to dollars that Brian's sales reflect sealed over ported. I have not been on here a lot lately as I am happy with my upgrade from F15 to FV15HP so maybe it has been purchased more as of late. Also, I don't think anyone is saying the other products are inferior. It's all about needs. That's it. That's what dictates a purchase. There is a science to it. You listen at x db and you are concerned about y, buy sub z. Every sub has it's limitations...is what sub z offers going to meet my requirements. If yes, that's the sub.

Benclement11,
I know the FV15HP is a killer sub I would love to have one but economics forced me to get the DS1505. My sub blends very well with my other speakers and I've yet to hit the limiter so it does suit me well. This forum is a great testament to Brian and the subs he produces and a tool for people to help decide which sub to purchase. Lately people on the FV15HP band wagon have been recommending to everybody that asks that they need a FV15HP. Here is an example a few pages back a fellow that had a modest system that his main speakers where book shelf speakers that had a rating of 86db/watt and somebody told him he needed a FV15HP. He posted pictures and it looked like a nice house and he had a wife and two kids, really did he need a $1600 (with shipping) sub to mate with these speakers. In reality a F12 ($900 with shipping) would have matched well, I don't know if he bought one or not. If not, Brian lost a sell because of somebody telling this person he needed more sub than he really did. I did try and tell him he didn't need this much sub. A lot of people come to this site and never post, I've been a member for over a year and never posted just read and learned. By having an equal number of post about all of the Rythmik subs these readers can make an informed decision about which sub to purchase. Other than you being happy with your purchase I doubt Brian really cares which sub you buy because I'm sure he makes about the same off of each sub he sells because his prices are so reasonable. I would also say that economics dictates most of the subs sold not as you say needs; I think most people buy the most sub they can afford which hopefully matches the rest of their system. This is why I say that the FV15HP is getting too much attention and would like to see more of the other Rythmik sub's reviewed. Let's face it we all want to see Brian do well and stay in business so we can add more subs in the future when we can afford them and yes I do want another Rythmik sub to add to the one I already have. I hope this clarifies the statements that I made earlier.
Larry
LarryU is offline  
post #5996 of 16550 Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benclement11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryU View Post

Benclement11,
I know the FV15HP is a killer sub I would love to have one but economics forced me to get the DS1505. My sub blends very well with my other speakers and I've yet to hit the limiter so it does suit me well. This forum is a great testament to Brian and the subs he produces and a tool for people to help decide which sub to purchase. Lately people on the FV15HP band wagon have been recommending to everybody that asks that they need a FV15HP. Here is an example a few pages back a fellow that had a modest system that his main speakers where book shelf speakers that had a rating of 86db/watt and somebody told him he needed a FV15HP. He posted pictures and it looked like a nice house and he had a wife and two kids, really did he need a $1600 (with shipping) sub to mate with these speakers. In reality a F12 ($900 with shipping) would have matched well, I don't know if he bought one or not. If not, Brian lost a sell because of somebody telling this person he needed more sub than he really did. I did try and tell him he didn't need this much sub. A lot of people come to this site and never post, I've been a member for over a year and never posted just read and learned. By having an equal number of post about all of the Rythmik subs these readers can make an informed decision about which sub to purchase. Other than you being happy with your purchase I doubt Brian really cares which sub you buy because I'm sure he makes about the same off of each sub he sells because his prices are so reasonable. I would also say that economics dictates most of the subs sold not as you say needs; I think most people buy the most sub they can afford which hopefully matches the rest of their system. This is why I say that the FV15HP is getting too much attention and would like to see more of the other Rythmik sub's reviewed. Let's face it we all want to see Brian do well and stay in business so we can add more subs in the future when we can afford them and yes I do want another Rythmik sub to add to the one I already have. I hope this clarifies the statements that I made earlier.
Larry

I just have to address one thing though. Just because one has bookshelf speakers and 86db speakers...does not mean they a larger sub is w waste. You actually describe exactly what I have. The F15 could keep up with my 86db sensitivity speakers in a large room. Low sensitivity speakers can still play really loud...they just take more power. The room size and level at which you listen determines sub needs more than speaker size and sensitivity.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
.
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
benclement11 is offline  
post #5997 of 16550 Old 03-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
qguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Since you have experienced the sealed F12, I would go for the F15 or two F12. the F12 and F15 have the class AB amplifiers which is supposed to be superior to the other amps. The ported ones may provide beter SPL, but if your spoiled on the use of the sealed subs, there is no turning back.



Quote:
Originally Posted by porksoda View Post

Wow i haven't posted or checked this thread in a while. So many pages and pages and pages...

I am very happy with my 12" but i think soon i will be ordering a bigger unit for my HT and move the 12" to my 2ch room.

Whats the best tight bass bang nowadays still the F15 / F15HP or we are to expect something new this summer?

F12 is probably the first subwoofer that i am happy with (without breaking the bank).

Cheers

qguy is offline  
post #5998 of 16550 Old 03-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Member
 
LarryU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

I just have to address one thing though. Just because one has bookshelf speakers and 86db speakers...does not mean they a larger sub is w waste. You actually describe exactly what I have. The F15 could keep up with my 86db sensitivity speakers in a large room. Low sensitivity speakers can still play really loud...they just take more power. The room size and level at which you listen determines sub needs more than speaker size and sensitivity.

I will concede that larger is never a waste it gives you growing room for future upgrades. I've been through four subs in the evolution on my system. But we need to let these people know that this is the minimum you need and bigger is always better. You can always make the output of a sub less, you can never make it more, but by saying you need more sub than you do may scare potential buyers off.
LarryU is offline  
post #5999 of 16550 Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pstrisik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryU View Post

................This is why I say that the FV15HP is getting too much attention and would like to see more of the other Rythmik sub's reviewed............

Here you go.. I have two F12 and wrote a short review earlier in the thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20871275

.
. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

pstrisik is offline  
post #6000 of 16550 Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
sofast1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Coast of Florida
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The UPS driver backed right up to my front door at noon today and very carefully brought my two F15HP inside for me. Oddly,one was double boxed and one was single boxed. No matter,there was no damage. To give you just a little background,Feb.15th I had open heart triple bypass surgery. The subs were ordered before I went in as kind of a motivation for myself to heal faster. Well,I'm recovering nicely and while I'm now healthy enough to enjoy my new subs, I can't lift anything heavy. So,I got to look at the boxes for 7 hours 'till 2 friends could come over and do the heavy work. After they were in place and connected,my helpful friends wanted to hear them. I tried to explain that they needed to be adjusted,tweaked,and broken in. They still wanted to hear them. I put a cd in,and turned it up. They thought it sounded great, I thought it sucked. After getting them to leave, I went to work. Lots of listening,adjusting,listening,adjusting,....you know.
Interestingly,I set the phase old school;play something with strong bass,especially around the xover freq.,set the distance higher than you'll need,close your eyes and slowly lower the distance until the bass is the loudest.The distance was the same as Brian's subtuner(not the actual distance)! Anyhow, a little over an hour later ,time for the first audition. The first four cuts were;Etta James(in memory)"Tell Mama",Emmylou Harris "Tulsa Queen"(live version from Spyboy),Tom Petty "Running Man's Bible"(from Mojo) and David Lindley "Mercury Blues" from El-Rayo X. Night and day difference from "out of the box"! They sound great! The best part is I know that in a couple of weeks,between some more tweaking and break-in,they'll sound even better. The ever changing 2 channel system in the living room currently has 2 Velo DD12+ and for the last 2 weeks the system where the F15hps are had 2 Def Tech supercubes(on loan). So far, I think the dual F15HPs are better than either. As you can imagine,after sitting around for 6 weeks waiting and thinking about the new subs,my expectations were pretty high. I think they've been surpassed!
sofast1 is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off