AVS Forum banner
5M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  TurboGuard 
#1 ·
 http://www.rythmikaudio.com/index.html

There never seems to be an 'Official' Rythmik thread so....

Hopefully members can post here and representatives from Rythmik (Brian) can more readily answer questions that are normally strewn about in many threads.

Rythmik now offers complete subwoofers as well as the traditional kits.

Maybe Brian will subscribe.

See less See more
#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandtk /forum/post/17908062

Yes, absolutely. my 15 is a perfect match for my maggie 1.6..

Finally, someone with a Rhytmik and Maggies! I've been looking to get a new sub (or two) for my Maggie HT and so far, I haven't heard anyone actually using a Rhythmik with maggies (although a lot of people say they think it should work perfect...).

Other options I've looked at would be JL F113 (expensive, which would mean one sub), ML Descent (would be used to get the price I need), Velodyne DD15 (again, expensive, even used). Last option, which I've been looking at would be Rhythmik, but without really knowing if they would work or not, I felt a bit reluctant to take the plunge.

#43 ·
I'm updating my home theater and I think I will go with a Rythmik sub. While my movie/music ratio is about 70/30, I place more value on the music. Given this, I thought the 12" might be the best option, but the Rythmik web site states that both do equally well for sound.

My home theater is 27' long, and 17' wide at one part and 12' ft wide at another. It is open to my pool table room (i.e., big space)

I plan to start with one (I have an old Velodyne VA-1012 now and it shakes enough for movies, but is lacking for music), but would be willing to add a second if need be.

Opinions on which sub to start with?

Edit: I can order through their web site or Ascend, which seems strange. Any advantage to one over the other?

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegage /forum/post/17917826

I'm updating my home theater and I think I will go with a Rythmik sub. While my movie/music ratio is about 70/30, I place more value on the music. Given this, I thought the 12" might be the best option, but the Rythmik web site states that both do equally well for sound.

My home theater is 27' long, and 17' wide at one part and 12' ft wide at another. It is open to my pool table room (i.e., big space)

I plan to start with one (I have an old Velodyne VA-1012 now and it shakes enough for movies, but is lacking for music), but would be willing to add a second if need be.

Opinions?

Edit: I can order through their web site or Ascend, which seems strange. Any advantage to one over the other?

With a room that size, I would look at the 15.

If you live in Ca or Tx, there may be state tax involved. If you live outside of both states, I would pick the one that is closest to you, to minimize delivery time.

There may be an financial benefit for Brian if you ordered directly through Rythmik.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik /forum/post/17885643

The next reasonable size down for me is actually 8" with full servo control below 200hz. There are some good transducers out there (coaxial, ribbon, to name a few) that can benefit from this type of extended bass units.

Would you ever consider something along the lines of the Velo 1812, where you use a larger driver (12 or 15) for the lower frequencies and a smaller driver (8) for the midbass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik /forum/post/17884435

I do plan to offer dual 15" configuration. Two of them will be driven by an H600 amp. The only downside is enclosure size.

Roughly how big an enclosure did you mean? Also, any idea when these (dual-15, H600) will be available; even a ballpark timeline?

Thanx,

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/17918303

...where you use a larger driver (12 or 15) for the lower frequencies and a smaller driver (8) for the midbass?...

Fantastic idea.... If he could get this concept to work, I'd definitely be a player on a couple of these ...I eagerly await Brian's response.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegage /forum/post/17917826

...Opinions on which sub to start with?

For your room size, I'd say look at a 15" and you can add another one later if you feel one's not enough for your space. I don't believe Ascend carries the base 300-watt amp model, so if you decide to go that route, then you might have to go through the Rythmik site. That was my issue, as I would have just as well preferred to get them from Ascend as I believe they may be better set-up to deal with any customer's after-the-sale questions on issues... not that Brian is unresponsive, its just he's really busy and his site lacks a forum. BTW, I personally didn't have a single issue with either of my Rythmiks

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau /forum/post/17913112

For most music and all movies I leave mine set at 14Hz/High. On some poorly recorded (IMO) music, I'll flip the switch to either 20Hz or 28Hz, but in all cases I use high damping. Just love the tightness the high setting provides.

The thing is you get a big boost starting around 25Hz on up into the mid-bass region by changing the damping to Low... this can be great for certain movie effects but you are right, IF your room is tight (low reverberation time) then it can sound a bit flabby. My room is really tight but with movie sound effects often "tight sound" doesn't really mean a lot... like how meaningful is it to speak of a "tight" plane crash or a "tight" explosion or a "tight" earthquake.

BTW, couldn't help but notice your moniker is "laulau", which has meaning to me so I looked at your location and see you're from Oahu... I was born and raise in Kaneohe in the 50s and 60s (graduated from Castle High in '68)... I've been gone a longtime from the Islands, always get a little twinge of nostalgia when I see something from Hawaii.

Aloha Bra...

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer /forum/post/17919019

The thing is you get a big boost starting around 25Hz on up into the mid-bass region by changing the damping to Low... this can be great for certain movie effects but you are right, IF your room is tight (low reverberation time) then it can sound a bit flabby. My room is really tight but with movie sound effects often "tight sound" doesn't really mean a lot... like how meaningful is it to speak of a "tight" plane crash or a "tight" explosion or a "tight" earthquake.

Agreed, "tight" is highly subjective. One of the best things Brian did when he designed these subs is give us the ability to fine tune the sound to our individual tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer /forum/post/17919019

BTW, couldn't help but notice your moniker is "laulau", which has meaning to me so I looked at your location and see you're from Oahu... I was born and raise in Kaneohe in the 50s and 60s (graduated from Castle High in '68)... I've been gone a longtime from the Islands, always get a little twinge of nostalgia when I see something from Hawaii.

Aloha Bra...

Howzit brah? I've been following your posts for many months and have always respected your calm level headed stance on various topics, even when other posters are behaving like a bunch of preteens. Good to hear your a kama'aina.

Even with all the development that has taken place over the years, there's still no place more beautiful than the windward side. I'm out in central Oahu, but paradise is still paradise.

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandtk /forum/post/17914661

Brian,

Any thoughts on the "wave" of THT builds lately?? Any thoughts on implementing one with your subs?

Roland

I am definitely interested in building one myself and tested it out. I have read a document from Tom on comparing THT to vented subwoofer and he gets about 1.8x less excursion at the excursion peak as compared with a vented sub. At this stage, it is still too early to say anything. But his definitely got my attention.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer /forum/post/17918828

Fantastic idea.... If he could get this concept to work, I'd definitely be a player on a couple of these ...I eagerly await Brian's response.

It is a worth trying idea. I really love to hear articulate upper bass sound too. That is the next area to tackle from my perspective. The debate is whether to use one big and one small drivers, or to use multiple smaller drivers. As I say, to prove the concept, I need a good speaker, reference level, that can benefit from servo playing up to 200hz. Let me know when you find one.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/17918303

Roughly how big an enclosure did you mean? Also, any idea when these (dual-15, H600) will be available; even a ballpark timeline?

Thanx,

The schedule is very uncertain at this moment because the upcoming Chinese new years with 2 weeks break. If I can get them done before the break, these dual drivers would be available by the end of Feb. If not, it would be end of Mar. I recommend 5-6 cu ft enclosure for dual 15" drivers. That is about 2.5 - 3 cu ft per driver.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik /forum/post/17923008

The schedule is very uncertain at this moment because the upcoming Chinese new years with 2 weeks break. If I can get them done before the break, these dual drivers would be available by the end of Feb. If not, it would be end of Mar.

That's not so long. I can wait till spring; only couple months away.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik /forum/post/17923008

The schedule is very uncertain at this moment because the upcoming Chinese new years with 2 weeks break. If I can get them done before the break, these dual drivers would be available by the end of Feb. If not, it would be end of Mar. I recommend 5-6 cu ft enclosure for dual 15" drivers. That is about 2.5 - 3 cu ft per driver.

Will the H-600 amp with the dual driver be servo or non-servo model?