post #16351 of 16354 Old Today, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
What speakers are you using? Do you have graph of L or R or C speaker with subs?
They are Triad Platinums that I got cheap from an estate sale.
Rythmik got most of my speaker budget.

The graphs I posted show L & R overlaid, crossed with the subs at 100hz.

With the 10" woofers, the Plats can handle lower crossover frequencies well enough, but I run into problems with nulls when bass only comes from the front.

My frequency response was awful without at least one sub in the front and one in the back. 4 subs just gave me more headroom (big room) and better seat-to-seat consistency.

Last edited by rcohen; Today at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16352 of 16354 Old Today, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
I run the output of my AVR through an inexpensive dbx (professional) crossover set around 50 - 60 Hz (forget where I left it). Maggies distort heavily when presented with large bass signals; the Rythmik does not. In the decades I have owned Maggies and similar speakers I have always found substantial audible and measured improvements letting a good sub handle the deep bass, starting with my very own servo design back in the late 70's early 80's. That includes ESLs, or just about any conventional speaker, for that matter -- the only pair I owned that did OK sub-less was my IRS 2; a pair of early model B&W 801's did OK as well. Planer speakers are worse because by and large they simply do not have the area and excursion to deliver the much larger output low bass demands (look at a Fletcher-Munson loudness curve, remembering 10 dB is 10x the power).

Many Rythmik models include a HPF as well as LPF you could use. I have not really tried it.

Letting the sub and main speakers overlap in the low bass has virtually always led to worse sound in my experience, including muddy bass and the like. That has been worse for large panel mains, again IME.

I'd personally roll off the 1.7's up around 60 - 80 Hz, at least 1/2 to 1 octave above their low end rating, and let the sub do its thing. I suspect you'll be happily surprised by the result.

FWIWFM - Don
I love your thoughts. So what you were saying is buy an external crossovers device and use that on the speaker cable output from the main amp going to the Maggis. I didn't know that there was such a device. Do you have any recommendations on a particular product.
post #16353 of 16354 Old Today, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cingulate Gyrus View Post
So what you were saying is buy an external crossovers device and use that on the speaker cable output from the main amp going to the Maggis. I didn't know that there was such a device. Do you have any recommendations on a particular product.
A more straightforward solution would be to get a receiver with bass management, if you aren't able to use the built-in crossover in the Rythmik. If you go with an external crossover, an active (line-level, not speaker-level) crossover is preferable, if possible with your setup.
post #16354 of 16354 Old Today, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
They are Triad Platinums that I got cheap from an estate sale.
Rythmik got most of my speaker budget.

The graphs I posted show L & R overlaid, crossed with the subs at 100hz.

With the 10" woofers, the Plats can handle lower crossover frequencies well enough, but I run into problems with nulls when bass only comes from the front.

My frequency response was awful without at least one sub in the front and one in the back. 4 subs just gave me more headroom (big room) and better seat-to-seat consistency.
My Klipsch towers were measued flat to 25hz in my room but I prefer crossing them over at 80hz not only to have my FV15hps handle the low but also to release load off my Denon receiver. There is benefit to have a higher crossover.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer

User Tag List