Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #16411 of 16412 Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I am using an inexpensive dbx analog crossover in my system. I toyed with the idea of using a mininDSP and will get one someday, but decided it was too much hassle just for a crossover. If I was designing a speaker system or using a multiway crossover and optimizing time and frequency response I'd get it for a crossover, but just to emulate an analog crossover seems like overkill.

I have not used the Rythmik HPF, IMO probably not worth the effort if you are going to use the same crossover. The miniDSP has decent opamps but you have to get the balanced version to have enough drive for most applications. You are also adding another A/D-D/A conversion in the process so it is more than just op-amps. If you need it to generate room compensation EQ or need more flexible filters it is great, but if all you need is a HPF and are not changing slope or crossover frequency, chances are the Rythmik is good enough. Brian talked about the built-in HPF someplace in this thread.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16412 of 16412 Old Today, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cingulate Gyrus View Post
I know you guys would understand. Last night I hooked about the DBX active crossover in between my pre-amp and amp. The highs go to the maggies and the lows to the Rythmik E15HP. It now sounds sooo sweet. I had trouble sleeping last night. I would wake up thinking how awesome the music sounds. I can't wait to get home from work and listen some more. Thanks Don for teaching me about this stuff.

That's what it's all about! The combination of a speaker like any of the Maggies (or other high-performance/moderate cost panels, like the Eminent Technology LFT-8b's) mated with a Rythmik or GR research sub or two is THE way to go. The combination outperforms many higher priced "full-range" speakers. Buy your main speakers for their qualities above 80-100Hz, ignoring their shortcomings below those frequencies. The Servo sub/s will outperform the passive woofers in just about any speaker you can name. The Audiophile's negative opinion of subs, particularly with panel speakers, is based on conventional subs, not the over-performing Servo subs. IMO!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page