post #16501 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
It's actually not that hard to get going with basic measurements in REW. Especially if you have a computer with an HDMI output - then all you need is a $75 microphone from miniDSP and a little bit of time to set it up.
I found the umik-1. USB. Is that the one. Where does the hdmi fit in and that's all I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16502 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
I found the umik-1. USB. Is that the one. Where does the hdmi fit in and that's all I need.
HDMI is the easiest, cleanest way to get REW's test signals into your AVR or pre-pro. So just configure one of your AVR's HDMI inputs for your computer, then make the connection between your computer and the AVR.

Good point made about getting the mic from Cross Spectrum. Apparently they have a more complete calibration, including calibration all the way down to single-digit frequencies. Probably worth the extra bit of cost.

post #16503 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
HDMI is the easiest, cleanest way to get REW's test signals into your AVR or pre-pro. So just configure one of your AVR's HDMI inputs for your computer, then make the connection between your computer and the AVR.

Good point made about getting the mic from Cross Spectrum. Apparently they have a more complete calibration, including calibration all the way down to single-digit frequencies. Probably worth the extra bit of cost.
I already have my receiver connected to my HTPC through HDMI. So I guess I'm good to go with that Mic. Is that Mic the one you're calling a cross spectrum
post #16504 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 68
^^ you are all set then. I also use HTPC with HDMI as source. Just download and install REW from Hometheatershack and buy the crossspectrum MIC. I have the UMIK-1 from crossspectrum.
post #16505 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Ugh. Looks like I'm going to have to break down and buy all the equipment to run REW. I watched a tutorial on YouTube the other night and it doesn't look like a simple program. I am still not sure what to buy or what all I need

However I am glad to hear that maybe the problem. I really didn't want to take the loss on my PSAs.

Bad thing is my room size does not leave a lot of options for placing subwoofers
Get a calibrated mic from Cross Spectrum Labs here: http://www.cross-spectrum.com/

AVS member Jerry Austin has generously written a step-by-step guide here: Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs

The guide contains a few gems of information in general. There is some basic assumptions and equipment you'll have beforehand, this includes:

(1) A windows laptop/PC with a HDMI and USB port;
(2) HDMI and USB extension cable(s); and
(3) Boom stand mic.

Once you're familiar with REW, it is a very useful measurement tool.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #16506 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Get a calibrated mic from Cross Spectrum Labs here: http://www.cross-spectrum.com/

AVS member Jerry Austin has generously written a step-by-step guide here: Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs

The guide contains a few gems of information in general. There is some basic assumptions and equipment you'll have beforehand, this includes:

(1) A windows laptop/PC with a HDMI and USB port;
(2) HDMI and USB extension cable(s); and
(3) Boom stand mic.

Once you're familiar with REW, it is a very useful measurement tool.

Thanks to all for the advice so far.

So the difference with cross-spectrum is the USB drive with the frequencies for $20 extra over buying the UMIK-1 direct from miniDSP?

Also, so if you use my HTPC connected to my Denon X4000 and projector I will only need an extra long USB cable, correct?

Thanks,

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #16507 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

So the difference with cross-spectrum is the USB drive with the frequencies for $20 extra over buying the UMIK-1 direct from miniDSP?

Also, so if you use my HTPC connected to my Denon X4000 and projector I will only need an extra long USB cable, correct?

Thanks,
Cross Spectrum is the way to go, because it includes a 90 degree measurement file. That's worth the extra $20.
post #16508 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Yes, long extra USB extension cable that allows you to place your mic at MLP. The crossspectrum one is individually calibrated for the unit you buy, 90% measurement and can measure down to single digit hz which makes it worth over the miniDSP one.

Last edited by tvuong; 08-15-2014 at 05:20 PM.
post #16509 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Yes, long extra USB extension cable that allows you to place your mic at MLP. The crossspectrum one is individually calibrated for the unit you buy, 90% measurement and can measure down to single digit hz which makes it worth over the miniDSP one.
Just ordered one from Cross-Spectrum. Thanks for all the help again. Hope to be calibrating by next weekend.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #16510 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Nice. Please post graphs. Which subs do you have again?
post #16511 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^ Nice. Please post graphs. Which subs do you have again?
I have 2 PSA XS30s. So I should probably post the graphs in the PSA thread.

Lowell

post #16512 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
If you need any help just pm me. I will do my best to assist you.

All I do is plug a hdmi cable from my laptop to the aux. hdmi in on my AVR. Next I plug the cross spectrum mic into my laptop via usb. using hdmi bypasses the sound card calibration and simplifies things a bunch. REW is really not that bad, but I suggest downloading it now, open it up and start tinkering. Also, watch the youtube video at the same time. GL

I can about gurantee you are sitting in a null...those 30's should be slamming you in the chest. My XV15's just about take your breath away when they hit, but again placement is everything.
post #16513 of 16523 Old 08-15-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
If you need any help just pm me. I will do my best to assist you.

All I do is plug a hdmi cable from my laptop to the aux. hdmi in on my AVR. Next I plug the cross spectrum mic into my laptop via usb. using hdmi bypasses the sound card calibration and simplifies things a bunch. REW is really not that bad, but I suggest downloading it now, open it up and start tinkering. Also, watch the youtube video at the same time. GL

I can about gurantee you are sitting in a null...those 30's should be slamming you in the chest. My XV15's just about take your breath away when they hit, but again placement is everything.

Thanks for the offer, if I can't figure it out I will PM you.

Also, I would think those 30s should do that. My only concern is I don't have a lot of room to move them around. I have though about placing them in the center as one giant woofer. Also I have the woofers facing forward and back. I could face them so they are each firing at the side walls.

Lowell

post #16514 of 16523 Old 08-17-2014, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, if I can't figure it out I will PM you.

Also, I would think those 30s should do that. My only concern is I don't have a lot of room to move them around. I have though about placing them in the center as one giant woofer. Also I have the woofers facing forward and back. I could face them so they are each firing at the side walls.
If you have a closed rectangular room, the room simulator in REW 5.01 is a great way to quickly experiment with placement options. It doesn't replace the need for measurements, but I have found it to be pretty accurate.
http://www.roomeqwizard.com

For rotation, the best thing to do is experiment and measure. It shouldn't make a huge difference, but sometimes one way works better, so it's worth a try.
post #16515 of 16523 Old 08-18-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

It's been quiet here. Folks must be enjoying the sub(s). To stir thing up, is it not a good idea to run one fv15 in one port open and another one in 2 ports open feeding off an XT32 with subeqHT receiver? I have not seen or heard anyone running dual subs with this configuration. Is it a crazy idea? Would one get the best of both world: low extension from one sub and high output from another that is? Wonder how Audyssey subeqHT is going to handle this? Your thought?
post #16516 of 16523 Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
It's been quiet here. Folks must be enjoying the sub(s). To stir thing up, is it not a good idea to run one fv15 in one port open and another one in 2 ports open feeding off an XT32 with subeqHT receiver? I have not seen or heard anyone running dual subs with this configuration. Is it a crazy idea? Would one get the best of both world: low extension from one sub and high output from another that is? Wonder how Audyssey subeqHT is going to handle this? Your thought?
I've actually been meaning to try exactly what you mention but just have not had a chance.

post #16517 of 16523 Old 08-18-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ let me know the result once you try as I am too lazy to try now. I have done lots of measurements and just want to sit down and enjoy now.
post #16518 of 16523 Old 08-18-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 132
This is probably why it has been so quiet in here. Everyone's kicking back enjoying their subs. I know that's all I have been doing as of late. Some time ago I was playing around a lot with 1 port vs 2 port mode and in the end I chose to chase that deep extension.

Receiver - Denon 1713
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #16519 of 16523 Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for subs to ship after they're ordered? I ordered 2 F12SEs on Wednesday. I received the confirmation of payment immediately, but as of yet, have not received an email saying that they had shipped.
post #16520 of 16523 Old 08-18-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I would message Brian on here or give him a ring. If the subwoofer is in stock it should ship fairly quickly.

Receiver - Denon 1713
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #16521 of 16523 Old 08-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's generally best to match filter settings and ports between multiple subs so that you can get consistent phase for all frequencies, rather than cancellation in some frequencies. You can tune the phase/delay independently, though, so you can time align them.

As long as you measure, you might find a happy exception, but generally, you want the output from multiple subs to be as consistent as possible.
post #16522 of 16523 Old 08-18-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Deprave View Post
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for subs to ship after they're ordered? I ordered 2 F12SEs on Wednesday. I received the confirmation of payment immediately, but as of yet, have not received an email saying that they had shipped.
Ace, sorry for the delay but the container with the F12SE boxes is gonna be at our warehouse between tomorrow and Wednesday. As soon we get the container in we are gonna start assembling and shipping subwoofers.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #16523 of 16523 Old 08-18-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Ace, sorry for the delay but the container with the F12SE boxes is gonna be at our warehouse between tomorrow and Wednesday. As soon we get the container in we are gonna start assembling and shipping subwoofers.
Great, thanks for the update!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page