Forum Jump: 
 69Likes
post #16531 of 16538 Unread Yesterday, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 68
^^ I can try to measure without Audessey to see my responses between the three settings but it does not do me any good when I watch a movie with Audessey always on, one of the main reason for buying my X4000 Denon. Why would xt32 with subeqHT throws things off? Isn't it one of the best out there?
So low damping does not translate to more output? Just more head room? I don't think I want to give up 10-15hz for that beside from having more ringing/distortion as you pointed out with low damping. Thanks Rcohen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16532 of 16538 Unread Yesterday, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ I can try to measure without Audessey to see my responses between the three settings but it does not do me any good when I watch a movie with Audessey always on, one of the main reason for buying my X4000 Denon. Why would xt32 with subeqHT throws things off? Isn't it one of the best out there?
So low damping does not translate to more output? Just more head room? I don't think I want to give up 10-15hz for that beside from having more ringing/distortion as you pointed out with low damping. Thanks Rcohen.
More output and more headroom are the same thing. You do give up the lowest frequencies for it. It doesn't add distortion, just a bit of ringing for the lowest frequencies. I just meant that sometimes "full body" is also used to describe distortion. For some rooms and tastes, low damping is best. It's easy enough to try.

Audyssey tries to flatten out the EQ, so it hides what the sub filter settings are doing. You can (and probably should) still use it, especially if you like the sound better that way. I just meant to turn it off if you want to see what the sub filter settings do.
post #16533 of 16538 Unread Yesterday, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
According to http://www.rythmikaudio.com/eq.html, low dampening is supposed to also provide a 1.5 dB boost, which is missing from your curve:

That was my understanding, that you get more output in the upper frequencies (20 Hz)by making the amp not work as hard in the lower frequencies.
Since I favor music, I calibrated Audyssey with the high damping setting, and have never tried the other settings.
I bought a Cross-Spectrum Umik and got everything ready for HDMI REW before I got my F15HPs a few months ago, but I've been enjoying them so I haven't bothered to do any measurements yet :-) But I'll have some time in a couple weeks.
post #16534 of 16538 Unread Yesterday, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 140
1.5 db won't make any major difference in the HT or with music except on graph paper for the most part.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #16535 of 16538 Unread Today, 02:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
1.5 db won't make any major difference in the HT or with music except on graph paper for the most part.
When doing a/b comparisons, 1.5 db is quite audible. After long periods of time, your mind does some funky psychoacoustic stuff that would greatly diminish the difference.
post #16536 of 16538 Unread Today, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Well I've had my Rythmiks for awhile now and I've never heard distortion with the dampening set to low. I have one specific example I can provide of the bass sounding hollow and not full with high dampening. Run the iron hide flip scene in the first transformers. Try out high and low dampening and you'll see what I'm talking about. The bass seems hollow and almost cut short when set to high dampening. I noticed this in a few scenes from the 2008 version of the hulk. So in low dampening the full body bass I'm hearing (ringing/smear) is distortion? It sounds pretty damn clean to me.
post #16537 of 16538 Unread Today, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Rcohen, Bathes,
My graph does not show more output from low damping. It shows roll off at 15hz. Looking at my graph, what damping setting would you use/choose? That was why I asked as I also see Rythmik and Ricci's graph shows more output with low damping. As rcohen stated: Audessey had flatten it out. I would like someone (Bathes and all) to measure the three damping settings with Audessey engaged and post his/her graph to see if it acts similar to mine.
JT, thanks for the iron flip clip for comparison.
I guest at the end, I need to try and see which damping sounds better.
Thanks guys.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer

User Tag List