Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 556 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I have a sub in the front left corner of my room, and one in the rear right corner. They are crossed at 80 Hz. I would bet a paycheck that if I brought you into the room blindfolded, put you in the middle and played music, you could not place the subs.
^^^ I could. You have one in the front left corner and one in the right rear corner, right?

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I have a sub in the front left corner of my room, and one in the rear right corner. They are crossed at 80 Hz. I would bet a paycheck that if I brought you into the room blindfolded, put you in the middle and played music, you could not place the subs.
Locating the sub playing is not the issue, when I had the sub behind me I couldn't locate it either. But there was something wrong with the overall sound, and I could not figure out for at least 5 months... until I tried the middle placement at a whim.

Your setup needs to be really high end to reach this issue though. I never had this problem until I started to seriously upgrade the components behind the LS50. (Or you could say that I never had the ability to reproduce stereo imaging until recently.)
Old 09-11-2014, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If you sat in my room you would think the my single sub was on the left side right beside you but it's is really located in the front inside the speakers on the right side. Phase problems.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
I'd drive that far to snag a second LV12R for only $400 bucks. Correct me if I'm wrong newc33, but the LV12R has fairly low mileage on it right?
Ya man its very low mileage. I've had it for about 1.5 yrs and hasn't been used since December of 13.

Its only hit the limiter 2 times because I made it during the server room scene in pulse.

I'm really easy on all my equitment. The fvs have still never hit the limiter as far as I know. I like to have enough output with my subs that I don't have to strain them to get desierable output. Same goes with all my audio gear. I like having plenty of head room I guess.

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
Ascend acoustics cmt 340se side ss.
ascend acoustics cbm170se rear ss
Dual rythmik fv15hps/ 1 LV12r
Verticle Marty/UXL 18 powered with inuke 6kw DSP (and another Marty in the making)
Old 09-14-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
Locating the sub playing is not the issue, when I had the sub behind me I couldn't locate it either. But there was something wrong with the overall sound, and I could not figure out for at least 5 months... until I tried the middle placement at a whim.

Your setup needs to be really high end to reach this issue though. I never had this problem until I started to seriously upgrade the components behind the LS50. (Or you could say that I never had the ability to reproduce stereo imaging until recently.)
I am not a big believer in the "expensive means better" theory. The stereo imaging from my inexpensive setup is so convincing at times that I have to get up and ensure the center speaker is not playing. I just think that the point of diminishing returns can be reached very very quickly when it comes to home audio. At some point, I think people are just paying for an expensive name plate, and not necessarily better sound or quality.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I am not a big believer in the "expensive means better" theory. The stereo imaging from my inexpensive setup is so convincing at times that I have to get up and ensure the center speaker is not playing. I just think that the point of diminishing returns can be reached very very quickly when it comes to home audio. At some point, I think people are just paying for an expensive name plate, and not necessarily better sound or quality.
Aren't you're also the one who thinks you can buy a sub like you can bolognie at the local deli?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualMono View Post
Aren't you're also the one who thinks you can buy a sub like you can bolognie at the local deli?
Not sure, as I don't understand your analogy, sorry. But I can clarify my subwoofer purchasing belief: Buy two subs that meet your needs if budget allows from one of the ID companies such as Rythmik, SVS, PSA, or HSU. If you cannot afford to buy the sub(s) that meets your needs, buy the best one(s) you can afford.

P.S. If I were in the market to buy bologna, the local deli sounds like a great place to get it.
niccolo and Sean Spamilton like this.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I think the point about "diminishing returns" is valid. That last 10% of performance can cost big. There's also a "herd mentality" in audio. A couple of glowing reviews and a speaker or component is suddenly the bomb. What constitutes good sound is very subjective and personal: we need to rely on our own ears to make that decision, regardless of how well received something is or how much it costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post

The LS50 is a great nearfield monitor. I'm suggesting to the guys I know with home studios that they get a pair for monitoring their recording and mixing. They're good enough for that---in fact, they are far better than what a lot of big Pro studios have (Yamaha NS10, Auratone, Tannoy).
Old 09-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
There's also a "herd mentality" in audio.
Not only in Audio, but pretty much everything, its human nature fashion, cell phones etc.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

I am using the A370PEQ, I am wondering if there are issues with heat over the years with the plate amp in a sealed enclosure? Would it be better to house the amp in a different enclosure with opening for heat to escape or the external heat sinks is enough to protect the amp ? I have about 5 inches between the wall and the plate amp.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 362
I do not understand the question. Are you placing the amplifier in a sealed enclosure, the sub inside a cabinet, or are you asking about the longevity of the amp in normal use? If the latter, assuming there is airflow around the amp, the heat sinks on the amp should be fine. Mine rarely get even warm to the touch.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 09-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

The amp is in the subwoofers 4 cubic feet sealed enclosure. The sub is not inside a cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
I do not understand the question. Are you placing the amplifier in a sealed enclosure, the sub inside a cabinet, or are you asking about the longevity of the amp in normal use? If the latter, assuming there is airflow around the amp, the heat sinks on the amp should be fine. Mine rarely get even warm to the touch.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post
The amp is in the subwoofers 4 cubic feet sealed enclosure. The sub is not inside a cabinet.
Just for clarity, when qguy said the "sub" is not inside a cabinet, he meant the plate amp. Guy, you must have built one of the DIY SoundGroup 4 cu.ft. flat packs. How did it turn out? I almost bought a pair myself, but decided to design my own and have the MDF cut at a wood shop locally. 4 cu.ft. also, but with much more bracing than the flat pack, and double-layer walls
Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mine is not from DIY SoundGroup, I had my enclosure custom made. Front is 1.5 inch, the rest is 3/4 inch.

Beside my 12 inch M&K subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP24 View Post
Just for clarity, when qguy said the "sub" is not inside a cabinet, he meant the plate amp. Guy, you must have built one of the DIY SoundGroup 4 cu.ft. flat packs. How did it turn out? I almost bought a pair myself, but decided to design my own and have the MDF cut at a wood shop locally. 4 cu.ft. also, but with much more bracing than the flat pack, and double-layer walls
Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To all my fellow Canadians who purchased one of Rythmik subs, preferably the FV15HP, what was your shipping method?
I'm seeking to purchase two early 2015 and those shipping prices seem pretty outrageous.

I'm thinking to probably do a kinek point to save on the brokerage and shipping. So just let me know what you guys did regarding shipping method.

Thank you,

Television: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2010
Speakers: Energy RC-70's, RC-LCR, RC-10 (4), Rythmik FV15HP (2) and Velodyne VDR-12 (3),
Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_1014 View Post
To all my fellow Canadians who purchased one of Rythmik subs, preferably the FV15HP, what was your shipping method?
I'm seeking to purchase two early 2015 and those shipping prices seem pretty outrageous.

I'm thinking to probably do a kinek point to save on the brokerage and shipping. So just let me know what you guys did regarding shipping method.

Thank you,
I bought with prepaid taxes brokerage and worked out great, nothing due when it gets dropped off. Love this sub. For the E15HP I believed it was about $1600CDN all in taxes shipping duties, I thought it was pretty good price, still cheaper than buying the SB13Ultra from SVS in Canada.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
Old 09-18-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
I bought with prepaid taxes brokerage and worked out great, nothing due when it gets dropped off. Love this sub. For the E15HP I believed it was about $1600CDN all in taxes shipping duties, I thought it was pretty good price, still cheaper than buying the SB13Ultra from SVS in Canada.
Prepaid taxes and brokerage is $1228.00 for both subs according to their website. I'm not going to pay 50 percent of my order in shipping costs, that doesn't make sense to me.

Speakers: Energy RC-70's, RC-LCR, RC-10 (4), Rythmik FV15HP (2) and Velodyne VDR-12 (3),
Old 09-18-2014, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Prepaid taxes and brokerage is $1228.00 for both subs according to their website. I'm not going to pay 50 percent of my order in shipping costs, that doesn't make sense to me.
Still at $2000 each shipped and taxes in is still a solid value, but if you can save by doing the brokerage yourself wicked. I know there is someone from Edmonton on here who did his own brokerage when he got his Salk speakers imported, DSL222 is his username you can send him a message.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
Old 09-18-2014, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post
I am using the A370PEQ, I am wondering if there are issues with heat over the years with the plate amp in a sealed enclosure?
There won't be an issue. The plate amp's heat sink is on the outside, so most heat is disspated out. There might be some minor heat built up inside, such as the transformer, but the enclosure is large enough to handle it. Maybe the speaker coil will produce more heat when driven hard. As a matter of fact, my DIY F15 sealed box has been running for 4-5years on a fairly regular basis, never missed a beat.

Locating the amp outside will be a hassle especially for the Rythmik, because there are 4 wires between the speaker and the amp (for the servo feedback). And I don't know whether extra wire length will cause further trouble.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Just wanted to say that I watched Godzilla last night and it has some pretty good LFE. Nothing super low, but definitely plentiful bass throughout the entire flick. Also, I am still loving mid-dampening.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Old 09-19-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 239
^^ I do not like the movie. Bass was ok. I have a few ripped movies in queue but have not had time to watch: edge of tomorrow, Xmen- days of future past, and Transformers-age of extinction. Been waiting for these movies but when I have them, there's no time to watch . I have mine set for Med dampening and so far, it shakes my chairs more then with hi D.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I liked it, but then again I grew up as a kid loving the cheesy Godzilla flicks and I'm also not that harsh of a movie critic.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Old 09-19-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
You can pay only for the shipping portion and then pay Canadian brokerage fees and taxes by your own. Either way your are gonna end paying the same amount. Go to the link below to know how much are you gonna pay as soon the subwoofers cross the Canadian border.

If you live close to the border we can ship the subwoofers to a UPS location near the border for you to pick them up but either way you may need to pay taxes as well as soon you cross the border. Also make sure you have a truck or a big SUV because each FV15HP box is 32" x 24" x 31" and 135 lb.

http://www.thefinalcost.com/shipments/calculate/

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

Last edited by enricoclaudio; 09-19-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Exclusively Servo

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I have seen some discussion about the Databass measurements of FV15 in terms of distortion at max CEA output. I need to clarify a a few things.

First, the high distortion seen in those measurements (similar to the one done by Illkka) is caused the amplifier being push into clipping. Here is the typical distortion from an amplifier.

The distortion will increase when the output exceeds what the power supply voltage can offer (also known as clipping) and there is no graceful degradation between the linear region and amp clipping region. The old NAD 3020 has a soft clipping circuit with claim 20WRMS outputs. But when one disables the soft clipping circuit, the output actually goes up to 60WRMS. It does take that much buffer area to implement the soft clipping behavior. But even soft clipping has distortion in there except it is mostly 3rd order.

Second, depending on how Josh pick the test points, it can give very different impression to readers. This has to do with how he picks the db point in his measurement. A 3db difference (eg, 400W vs 200W from the above plot) can give a very different distortion picture. Even as small as 1db (eg 350W vs 300W) can give a very different distortion picture. So if Josh had picked just 1db or 2db too high for one sub vs another, the distortion plot can be very different.

Third, low distortion can be had using a limiter. What it does is it pick a point (such as 250W just for an example in reference to the above plot) and begin to limit the output above 250W. That itself is a distortion even though that method can game the harmonic distortion measurement system to give low distortion number. This is because sush systems can no longer provides a correct dynamic contrast of between, say, 35W to 350W dynamic range as that same dynamic range has been reduced to 35W to 250W.

So we need to get over the thinking that we saw a number of 15% distortion, we then infer it is better or worse than others because we don't have other information and that 15% number sticks. A subwoofer with 15% distortion at 110db output 20hz does not means it is 15% distortion at all other output levels or at any frequency point.
enricoclaudio and shadyJ like this.

Last edited by Rythmik; 09-19-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
You can pay only for the shipping portion and then pay Canadian brokerage fees and taxes by your own. Either way your are gonna end paying the same amount. Go to the link below to know how much are you gonna pay as soon the subwoofers cross the Canadian border.

If you live close to the border we can ship the subwoofers to a UPS location near the border for you to pick them up but either way you may need to pay taxes as well as soon you cross the border. Also make sure you have a truck or a big SUV because each FV15HP box is 32" x 24" x 31" and 135 lb.

http://www.thefinalcost.com/shipments/calculate/
Your subs are manufactured in the USA, correct?

If so, according to http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...t-cal-eng.html[/QUOTE]

I would be looking at roughly $350.00 give or take some dollars to cross the boarder with the subs. I chose the TV option as that is probably the most comparable item to weight I can find on that list.

If did anything wrong, let me know.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Canadians should really consider getting the DIY kit, and have an enclosure made locally. Besides lower shipping and import duties etc., another benefit would be that it could be 4 cu.ft., for a little more output.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

My F15 KIT crossed the border from Canada to USA without any taxes as my friend who picked it up stayed for more than 24 hours in the USA, he said that if you stay for more than 24 hours in the US your tax exemptions increases.

Hope this helps

Last edited by qguy; 09-19-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Just wanted to say that I watched Godzilla last night and it has some pretty good LFE. Nothing super low, but definitely plentiful bass throughout the entire flick. Also, I am still loving mid-dampening.
Try Captain America- the winter soldier, a better movie and better bass also IMO.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The diagram shows 2 different setups with dual FV15HP subs placed equidistant but positioned differently with respect to the room. Is it a must for the phase control knob to be zero on both? (My AVR is only AudysseyXT capable, thus no dual sub measuring).

*MLP = main listening position
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phase.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	270489  

Tags
f12g subwoofer , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub