Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 597 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 213Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #17881 of 17894 Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
Member
 
ah_1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
So ever since I re-ran Audyssey in single port mode with high dampening things seem to sound a little better to my ears. I just got done watching the Edge of Tomorrow intro a few times first at -20, -15, and -10. No port chuffing and no clipping. For all of you FV15HP owners does a red light flash when your amplifier is clipping? The reason I ask is because my old LV12R's would flash red when driven too hard.
I've yet to see the red light flash on my two FV15HP and i've pushed them pretty hard to -8 on my Yamaha RX-A2010. I have had the limiter kicked in though, I only noticed when testing the subs with all speakers disabled, but there was no flashing of the red light

I actually have a question myself, I know this question is fairly subjective as it is based on room dimensions and frequency response. But I would like to know what are the peak SPL you folks getting with your FV15HP? I'm running duals in my room that is roughly 2300 cubic feet. The max volume I've seen on my spl metre is 114 decibels and that is with two ports open on both sub. My FR is pretty flat from 31 hz to 80 with +/- 1 variation. I am in a basement, not sure how much the contributes to loss of SPL.

I forgot to add the room is not completely sealed. There is roughly a 5 x 8 feet opening on the right that leads to a staircase.

Television: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2010
Speakers: Energy RC-70's, RC-LCR, RC-10 (4), Rythmik FV15HP (2) and Velodyne VDR-12 (3),

Last edited by ah_1014; Yesterday at 09:07 PM.
ah_1014 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17882 of 17894 Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
Member
 
RN2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post
L12 is intended as entry level model. It is not to replace F series models. So I will say you can still hear a slight difference in side-by-side comparison. But it still preserves the aritculate sound quality that ours subs are known for. The output between 30hz to 80hz is slightly less than F12 because of smaller enclosure size (14" cube). The difference of output between 50hz to 100hz is however less. The whole idea is to make it compact and therefore also save shipping cost.
Thanks so much for the quick reply. Is it fair to say that even though the L12 is an entry model, because of the servo accuracy it will sound as good as the SB2000? Also, has it been decided whether it will be available in a matte black non textured finish?
RN2013 is offline  
post #17883 of 17894 Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,233
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_1014 View Post
I have had the limiter kicked in though, I only noticed when testing the subs with all speakers disabled, but there was no flashing of the red light
How do you know the limiter kicked in if there is no indication on sub?
tvuong is online now  
post #17884 of 17894 Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,671
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post
L12 is intended as entry level model. It is not to replace F series models. So I will say you can still hear a slight difference in side-by-side comparison. But it still preserves the aritculate sound quality that ours subs are known for. The output between 30hz to 80hz is slightly less than F12 because of smaller enclosure size (14" cube). The difference of output between 50hz to 100hz is however less. The whole idea is to make it compact and therefore also save shipping cost.
Brian,

Can you answer my question a few posts back about the amplifier and clipping? Thanks!

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
JT78681 is online now  
post #17885 of 17894 Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,671
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
How do you know the limiter kicked in if there is no indication on sub?
That's what I was getting ready to ask myself.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
JT78681 is online now  
post #17886 of 17894 Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Member
 
ah_1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
How do you know the limiter kicked in if there is no indication on sub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
That's what I was getting ready to ask myself.
Well I wouldn't had known if I didn't have all the speakers disabled. I'm not sure how to describe it but it sounds as the bass would come to an halt but then quickly come back on again. When I turned off the limiter what I just described did not happen.


Keep in mind this was just me toying with subs to see how far I can push them.

Television: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2010
Speakers: Energy RC-70's, RC-LCR, RC-10 (4), Rythmik FV15HP (2) and Velodyne VDR-12 (3),

Last edited by ah_1014; Yesterday at 09:09 PM.
ah_1014 is offline  
post #17887 of 17894 Old Today, 01:19 AM
Exclusively Servo
 
Rythmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
So ever since I re-ran Audyssey in single port mode with high dampening things seem to sound a little better to my ears. I just got done watching the Edge of Tomorrow intro a few times first at -20, -15, and -10. No port chuffing and no clipping. For all of you FV15HP owners does a red light flash when your amplifier is clipping? The reason I ask is because my old LV12R's would flash red when driven too hard.

The Hypex module based amps work a bit differently than the amp in FV15HP. In the former, the indicator on the panel serves multi-purpose which includes clipping. In FV15HP, the clipping indicator is actually on the servo board and therefore not visible from outside the sub. In short, LV12R and FV15HP indicators work differently.
Rythmik is offline  
post #17888 of 17894 Old Today, 03:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Jacob B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DK-6000 Kolding, Denmark
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Two F12G enough?

Brian,
Do you think two front corner loaded F12G will deliver sufficient SPL for movies in my 2000 Cubic Inch sealed HT room? The room measures 20.7' x 12.5' x 8'.
I will normally not play louder than reference minus 10 db. I would still like to be able to "feel the bass", when the source material has such ULF, but I prefer a sealed, fast subwoofer with musicality and the possibility of setting a higher than normal crossover setting.

The ceiling is broadband treated with 5" OC703 and black AT fabric, other than that no bass trapping is planned initially.

Corner bass traps on top of the two subs can be added later, as well as corner traps in the rear corners, if EQ cannot deal sufficiently with the nulls and peaks in the main seats. None of the seats are located 1/4 or 1/2 way into the room from the walls.

There are two rows of Berkline 090, with four seats in each row. Four people will be the normal audience.
We don't know yet whether that will be the two center pairs of seats in each row, or the four seats in the front row.

Thanks,
Jacob
Jacob B is offline  
post #17889 of 17894 Old Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pstrisik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 1,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob B View Post
Brian,
Do you think two front corner loaded F12G will deliver sufficient SPL for movies in my 2000 Cubic Inch sealed HT room? The room measures 20.7' x 12.5' x 8'.
I will normally not play louder than reference minus 10 db. I would still like to be able to "feel the bass", when the source material has such ULF, but I prefer a sealed, fast subwoofer with musicality and the possibility of setting a higher than normal crossover setting.

The ceiling is broadband treated with 5" OC703 and black AT fabric, other than that no bass trapping is planned initially.

Corner bass traps on top of the two subs can be added later, as well as corner traps in the rear corners, if EQ cannot deal sufficiently with the nulls and peaks in the main seats. None of the seats are located 1/4 or 1/2 way into the room from the walls.

There are two rows of Berkline 090, with four seats in each row. Four people will be the normal audience.
We don't know yet whether that will be the two center pairs of seats in each row, or the four seats in the front row.

Thanks,
Jacob
FWIW, my room is >5000 cubic feet and two F12's are more than enough.
Jacob B likes this.

.
. . . . . . . . . . . Peter
pstrisik is offline  
post #17890 of 17894 Old Today, 03:06 PM
Member
 
mikepos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemannnnn View Post
That's just it, I'm not necessarily looking for that output below 20hz. So if it just comes down to the difference in measurements that I'm aware of, then I'll stick with the HSU and save the $400. However, I read things like the Rythmik will be more musical, it will have better sound quality, it will have tighter, more agile bass, it will have better build quality, it will play better at lower volumes, etc. Well then great, I don't mind spending the extra. But, being somewhat of an audio newb and trying to take everything I read with a grain of salt, I wonder how much is actually true and how much of a difference would I ever be able to tell on my own if I parked either f those subs in the corner of my room.

And yes, I have been active in different threads. I've been all over the place with this search for a sub, it's a lot of money and I want to spend it wisely.

To be honest, I may be a perfect candidate for the FV15HP's little brother, hopefully due out soon. I'd prefer to stay closer to $1,000 and like what I hear about the Rythmik products. I've got an inquiry in to them about the new model, so we'll see where that goes as well
I upgraded a 7=8 year old Hsu VTFmk2 to the HFV15HP and the sound quality boost was fantastic, it was the bigger improvement than the power and depth. But part of that was because I could move the sub to the mid point of the back wall vs the corner, because of the higher output. But it was a fantastic upgrade, also made better because of the PEQ n the rythmik

Oppo BDP-105
Bryston 3B-ST 2ch on mains, Lexicon 512 5ch
PSB Stratus Gold mains, C6i center
Rythmik FV15HP
Paradigm ADP-370 surrounds
cheap energy rear speakers
mikepos is offline  
post #17891 of 17894 Old Today, 03:48 PM
Member
 
joemannnnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepos View Post
I upgraded a 7=8 year old Hsu VTFmk2 to the HFV15HP and the sound quality boost was fantastic, it was the bigger improvement than the power and depth. But part of that was because I could move the sub to the mid point of the back wall vs the corner, because of the higher output. But it was a fantastic upgrade, also made better because of the PEQ n the rythmik
After speaking with Brian yesterday, I'm going FV15HP. Black matte is not available for a few weeks, black oak is now. I'd prefer the black matte I think, so just waiting on that. I can't wait to get it
joemannnnn is offline  
post #17892 of 17894 Old Today, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
BDP24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob B View Post
Brian,
Do you think two front corner loaded F12G will deliver sufficient SPL for movies in my 2000 Cubic Inch sealed HT room? The room measures 20.7' x 12.5' x 8'.
I will normally not play louder than reference minus 10 db. I would still like to be able to "feel the bass", when the source material has such ULF, but I prefer a sealed, fast subwoofer with musicality and the possibility of setting a higher than normal crossover setting.

The ceiling is broadband treated with 5" OC703 and black AT fabric, other than that no bass trapping is planned initially.

Corner bass traps on top of the two subs can be added later, as well as corner traps in the rear corners, if EQ cannot deal sufficiently with the nulls and peaks in the main seats. None of the seats are located 1/4 or 1/2 way into the room from the walls.

There are two rows of Berkline 090, with four seats in each row. Four people will be the normal audience.
We don't know yet whether that will be the two center pairs of seats in each row, or the four seats in the front row.

Thanks,
Jacob
If you need subs for Home Theater use rather than music, I would think the standard F12, not the paper-cone G version, would be the better choice. The G doesn't let you cross-over at a substantially higher frequency than the standard, and the aluminum-cone woofer will pump out sound effects with less cone flexing than the paper, I believe. The F12 is $874 in matte black or black oak, but you can get the E15 in matte black right now on sale for $1024, only $150 more, and the F15 for $1074, $200 more. If you get two of either, you will also get 10% off both of them. Something to consider!
BDP24 is offline  
post #17893 of 17894 Old Today, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,671
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemannnnn View Post
After speaking with Brian yesterday, I'm going FV15HP. Black matte is not available for a few weeks, black oak is now. I'd prefer the black matte I think, so just waiting on that. I can't wait to get it
Nice! It's a beast in output, but doesn't lack finesse. Keep us posted.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
JT78681 is online now  
post #17894 of 17894 Unread Today, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pstrisik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 1,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I shall be one of the pioneers .

Thanks to Brian's introduction of the DIY 8" driver, mid-bass module offering and his generous consultation, I have on order a pair of the "CI kit M1: one HX300 drives one DS800-3 driver" kits.

I will be having made cabinets that will be ~11" x 12" x 15" for the driver in front and amp in back. They will serve as mid-bass and stands for Omega Super Alnico Monitors. I will drive the Omegas with a Dennis Had built tube preamp and single ended pentode tube amp - at 5wpc (see my Avatar). I have a pair of super-tweeters that I made from a 1980's pair of Yamaha Beryllium tweeters. They roll off way up there in the hi teen kHz and are powered by their own Crown amp. Of course I have a pair of Rythmik F12's.

So, the net effect here is a a four way, quad amped speaker system. The beauty of it and core are the Omega's and Dennis Had built power. This will cover ~200Hz - 17kHz. The Yamaha's above that, F12's from 50Hz down and the mid-bass modules from 50-200. Having no crossover components from 200 - 17,000 and that single Alnico driver powered by tube SEP design is unbelievable in imaging and smoothness. With the other three players helping in fantasy level extension at either end. I have three of the speaker elements in place (the forth being the mid-bass) and getting to this approach has been transcendent. I expect the mid-bass modules to be the icing on the cake, the gravy, the glue...

There, I presented it understated and without getting carried away!

.
. . . . . . . . . . . Peter
pstrisik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off