Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 599 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 226Likes

post #17941 of 17946 Old Today, 08:24 AM
Exclusively Servo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemannnnn View Post
I agree, it's probably my best bet.

My only concerns are resale value if I ever sell. Does the lesser amp deter others. And warranty support...if it failed, could it be replaced with a 600, assuming the 550s are no longer available

Yes. That is the plan. H550 and H600 power amp modules are exactly the same except for power cap rating. That is why we can service H550 amps in the future using H600 power amp modules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17942 of 17946 Old Today, 09:42 AM
Exclusively Servo

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
It's a hard room, I can't seem to find a flatish response so far I have a front sub in right and back right corners

This almost like you have a boarder cancellation between 20hz to 50hz, instead of two peaks. Do you have the plot when only one unit is ON? It is best to go through steps of plotting one sub at a time and then two subs together to identify the problem. Close-mic measurements can also be helpful to double check the sub response with as little room reflection as possible.
post #17943 of 17946 Old Today, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob B View Post
But front corner loading both low and mid bass woofers (E15HP and FM8) should should make the omni-directional, long wave length low and mid bass waves bouncing off the floor/front wall/side wall arrive phase-aligned at the seats, right?

It's not the nulls and peaks I would try to minimize, it's an attempt to optimize the precision of the bass (to complement the Rythmiks :-) )
Corner loading should eliminate interference on the direct wave from the neighboring walls. It does not eliminate room modes, though. Placing subs opposite each other helps with room modes. If you place 2 subs on the front corners, it eliminates all but one horizontal room mode, but does nothing to help room modes on the front-back axis, which can be a big problem.

2 subs in opposite corners eliminates a lot of room modes (all but one) on both axes. But, because the subs aren't a mirror image on both axes, you don't get very consistent response between seats. Still, I have found that this is one of the best overall approaches with 2 subs.

2 subs in center wall positions along the long axes gives you excellent natural response without EQ and consistent seat-to-seat response, because the subs are mirrored on both axes. The downside is that this is much less efficient, due to no corner loading. If you have lots of sub output for your room volume, this is probably the best option.

I haven't had good luck with center wall placement on all 4 walls in a rectangular room.

If you have 4 subs, there are 2 optimal layouts, IMO:

4 corners is great for the benefits of corner loading, eliminating most room modes, and high output.

1/4 3/4 positions on the front & back wall eliminates an additional horizontal room mode, but leaves a single room mode front to back. You sacrifice output, but eliminating that extra room mode helps the natural EQ.

Both of these are mirror on both axes, so you get excellent seat to seat response.

Balancing output and eliminating room modes, the 4 corner placement + EQ was the best for my room.

From a technical perspective another interesting layout is the double bass array. This uses 8 subs. 4 in 1/4 3/4 positions horizontally and vertically (suspended) on the front wall. This eliminates all horizontal and vertical room modes. Then, there are 4 more subs suspended on the back wall, except they are delayed and out of phase, to act like active room treatment. This eliminates the front back room modes. So, ALL room modes are eliminated, for a perfect natural response and time alignment for all seats. You'd have to DIY this, though. I wonder if anyone has done that with Rythmik kits?

It's also worth noting that for the 4 sub placements mentioned, if you sit in the middle, good room EQ can cancel out the bass energy, except vertically.

Last edited by rcohen; Today at 09:55 AM.
post #17944 of 17946 Old Today, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
It's a hard room, I can't seem to find a flatish response so far I have a front sub in right and back right corners
Have you tried opposite corners?
Are you time aligning both of them to the listening position?
(An XT32 receiver will do this for you.)
post #17945 of 17946 Old Today, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob B View Post
The corner loading excited room modes can be dealt with using EQ (and bass traps), while loss of precision cannot be regained by the use of EQ.
That, at least, is the argument used by Steinway-Lyngdorf in their appraised high-end HT systems.
That's what I have found. If you had enough power power, naturally flat EQ is more important than output, but I have finite power and a big room.
post #17946 of 17946 Old Today, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Have you tried opposite corners?
Are you time aligning both of them to the listening position?
(An XT32 receiver will do this for you.)
they are currently in opposite corners Left Rear and Right Front. This room is 17x13.5 but it has a 6 foot open door way. it seems like I am picking up the partial wall next to the front right sub and the 20hz room mode from the dinning room wall. when I model this in the rew simulator(with 17x29 room) I get pretty similar data to my measurements.
I do have a Yamaha receiver with sub eq the graph may have bypassed that not totally sure.

I'll try to measure the two subs separately with out the speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub