Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 605 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264Likes
post #18121 of 18145 Old 03-26-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
That definitely helps a lot.

I don't mean that extension is necessarily bad. Sometimes you need extension. It's great to have subs that can give it when you need it. I just mean that people shouldn't look at that video and try to figure out ways to burn more extension.
You must be referring to the two members who said their FV15HP's don't flex like mine after watching those videos? I captured the videos because there just aren't that many out there of the FV15HP in action and I wanted to show just how much throw they have because I think it's pretty cool looking. I also wanted to show how the drivers just stop on the dime. Like I said before, definitely way more noticeable with the silver cones.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's

Last edited by JT78681; 03-26-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18122 of 18145 Old 03-26-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
You must be referring to the two members who said their FV15HP's don't flex like mine after watching those videos? I captured the videos because there just aren't that many out there of the FV15HP in action and I wanted to show just how much throw they have because I think it's pretty cool looking. Like I said before, definitely way more noticeable with the silver cones.
Yep.
post #18123 of 18145 Old 03-26-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Because you have a great deal of knowledge and I highly respect your opinion if any of those reason are other than cosmetic I'd love to hear them.
Thanks for the kind words!

For sub placement in general or for putting subs flush with the mains?

In this case neither choice has anything to do with sound, it's all about where I can place them and aesthetics/cosmetics. For placement, there's a (the) door where I'd like to place one sub, and there's not enough space on the other side of the room between couch and wall for the other sub (it's a bit narrow). Vexing, as I could really use them there to help compensate a null. My room lost about a third of its volume (and nicely primed dimensions) when we decided to add a bedroom downstairs. The bedroom is/was much enjoyed by my younger son, and undoubtedly provides greater resale value than a larger media room, but I'm still bummed. One of the reasons for getting Rythmiks was the phase adjustment that would make it easy (easier, anyway) to place them where they'd do the most good vs. where they look best.

Brian will eventually benefit as I plan to get a couple more F12's and place toward the rear to help reduce those pesky nulls.

Placing subs flush with the mains, other than for looks, does not make much sense to me. The wavelengths are huge and most towers have woofers at the bottom so reflections are a non-issue (unless the subs are at ear level and causing the tweeters to reflect off them). I do it for looks just because it makes the front line (Maggies and subs) look nicer. Also one less thing to trip over.

My comment on reflections was meant to be general, e.g. don't put a big reflective boundary next to the tweeter at ear level, and not sub-specific. Long week, forgot where I was posting.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #18124 of 18145 Old 03-26-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Thanks.
Lucky for you the week is almost over.
Lucky for your son your not making him sleep in the media room.
post #18125 of 18145 Old 03-27-2015, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I've put in 80+ hours the past few weeks, new chips got back and aren't working quite right, aarrgghhhh... Should drop down to normal insane hours soon. I need some sleep, got a lot to play in the next few weeks and haven't had much practice time. Going to put my system to use this weekend to listen to a couple of versions of "Planets" (playing it in a few weeks and want to see how other principals did it) and watch the last Hobbit movie.

On topic: I lost my link to Toole's paper on multiple sub setups, anybody have it handy?

Thanks - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #18126 of 18145 Old 03-27-2015, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
On topic: I lost my link to Toole's paper on multiple sub setups, anybody have it handy?

Thanks - Don
Perhaps this is it?

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompa...s/multsubs.pdf

From: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/techn...in-voecks.html

And: http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompa...White%20papers

Last edited by maxleung; 03-27-2015 at 11:52 PM.
post #18127 of 18145 Old 03-28-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Awesome links, thank you!

post #18128 of 18145 Old 03-28-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I do want to take another poster to task. Anywhere you have a setup like JT's that is a Man Cave. It doesn't have to be a dedicated space to be a Man Cave just a place where your manlyness can exude all around. His setup definitely does that. As to aesthetics and optimal speaker placement I have to add that rarely do the two coincide. Usually what "looks" the best doesn't sound the best and vicea versa that is just a fact. Now all setups (unless you are talking about high dollar designed as a blank sheet builds) are about compromises and what to each of of is acceptable. Whatever compromise you make either aesthetics or optimal speaker placement as long as the final result is good for the person who enjoys it everyday that is in the end what is truly important.

I have a dedicated space but had to make a lot of compromises when I built it, but who is to say that since I did make some compromises that my enjoyment factor is any less than someone who has spent 100k on their space. That is what makes this such a great hobby or passion. Run what you brung.

Oh and I would have to say a big HELL to the NO for glitter on the speaker cones. Just sayin.

Regards,

RTROSE
JT78681 likes this.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #18129 of 18145 Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Man Cave

Really dislike this term.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #18130 of 18145 Old 03-28-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
What else would you suggest? "My living room" just sounds so boring and I can't say my theater because I don't have one.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #18131 of 18145 Old 03-28-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmmm.......sorry that you don't like the term eljr. To each his own I guess, but that is what I call my theater. That is what my wife calls my theater, and just about every buddy I have who has something similar calls it that. To me that is what it is. It is my place to get away from everything I have to put up with during "real life" so I guess I could call it a retreat, or a sanctuary but to me that sounds presumptuous and uppity. Man Cave has a visceral "Tim Allen Tool Time feel" to it that I totally identify with.

I'm all for suggestions though. If you, eljr, can come up with a term I like better I would most certainly consider using it.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #18132 of 18145 Old 03-28-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hmmmm.......sorry that you don't like the term eljr. To each his own I guess, but that is what I call my theater. That is what my wife calls my theater, and just about every buddy I have who has something similar calls it that. To me that is what it is. It is my place to get away from everything I have to put up with during "real life" so I guess I could call it a retreat, or a sanctuary but to me that sounds presumptuous and uppity. Man Cave has a visceral "Tim Allen Tool Time feel" to it that I totally identify with.

I'm all for suggestions though. If you, eljr, can come up with a term I like better I would most certainly consider using it.

Regards,

RTROSE
If your wife and children often share that space with you it is not a man cave.
post #18133 of 18145 Old 03-28-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Man Cave has a visceral "Tim Allen Tool Time feel"
Exactly.

Hey, no need to be defensive, I am the odd ball. I know it. (and I absolutely meant no slight, just expressing myself)Look at my avatar and bio, does that look like someone who can identify with tool time? LOL

I respect and appreciate each poster here and how and why they enjoy and identify with their audio.

I am in this thread because I freakin' love Rythmik (and I don't own any, they were out of stock when I made my buy last year) and JT78681's two new subs are the most perfect subs on earth. They fit the bill ascetically and performance wise. Servo with ports with those silver cones, what more could anyone want?

When everyone was building a workshop in their garage or basement, I was building a gym.
When everyone started building a home theater and wine cellar in their McMansion basement I bought a place in the country and and put my wine in the basement. In cardboard boxes in the old root cellar where the mice play. BTW, I was drinking wine long before it was "cool." Makes me wonder, what are all these wine cellars gonna do now that micro breweries have replaced wine as the in thing?

It's just me. Pay no attention.

I wouldn't.
JT78681 likes this.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #18134 of 18145 Old 03-28-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What else would you suggest? "My living room" just sounds so boring and I can't say my theater because I don't have one.
You should call your listening space whatever feels right to you. Nothing wrong with Man Cave, it just gives me the willies.

post #18135 of 18145 Old 03-28-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Exactly.

Hey, no need to be defensive, I am the odd ball. I know it. (and I absolutely meant no slight, just expressing myself)Look at my avatar and bio, does that look like someone who can identify with tool time? LOL

I respect and appreciate each poster here and how and why they enjoy and identify with their audio.

I am in this thread because I freakin' love Rythmik (and I don't own any, they were out of stock when I made my buy last year) and JT78681's two new subs are the most perfect subs on earth. They fit the bill ascetically and performance wise. Servo with ports with those silver cones, what more could anyone want?

When everyone was building a workshop in their garage or basement, I was building a gym.
When everyone started building a home theater and wine cellar in their McMansion basement I bought a place in the country and and put my wine in the basement. In cardboard boxes in the old root cellar where the mice play. BTW, I was drinking wine long before it was "cool." Makes me wonder, what are all these wine cellars gonna do now that micro breweries have replaced wine as the in thing?

It's just me. Pay no attention.

I wouldn't.
No worries as I did not take any offence to anything you said at all and hope my reply did not offend you as it was a observation or question. Just voicing my opinion as you were. That is what makes this forum and this hobby so unique is our wide variety of likes, backgrounds, thoughts, opinions, and suggestions. I, like you, have not ever followed the crowd to do the "in thing". I march to the rhythm of drums only I can hear (along with voices, but we won't talk about those) and pretty much do my own thing just as it sounds as you do yourself. I'm sure we have more in common than differences but if not I value you and your opinion even if I don't agree with it. I can tell you one thing, I too love Rythmic (FV15HP owner) and think these subs are fantastic and JT's setup is pretty slick looking. That we can truly agree on.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #18136 of 18145 Old 03-28-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You should call your listening space whatever feels right to you. Nothing wrong with Man Cave, it just gives me the willies.
Lol fair enough...

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #18137 of 18145 Old 03-28-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
If your wife and children often share that space with you it is not a man cave.
This guy......

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #18138 of 18145 Old 03-29-2015, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisanav View Post
Hello all, I am trying to see my options for equalizing the sub/treating the room in my new HT. Room is small enough 14x16 and surely has some modes going on, not much room to place in bass traps all over, and I would like to avoid them if all possible. Anyone had any experience with Anti-mode 8033 Cinema from DSPeaker? It sounds like interesting option for subwoofer EQ.
Thanks!
Here's a before and after antimode 8033s-ii graph of mine. IMO, it did an incredible good job. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	634833   Click image for larger version

Name:	wb.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	634849   Click image for larger version

Name:	wa.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	634865  
post #18139 of 18145 Old 03-29-2015, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My DS1200 CI a few weeks ago. I got the cabinet glued up and and spent this week breaking it in. It's based on the Rythmik down firing plans laid over, but with a separate chamber for the amp. All 0.75" BB.

I have only very limited experience with other subs so I can't really compare it to anything, but it has totally impressed me. I hear things in music I didn't know existed though I've been listening to the track for years. So much tv seems to have a constant underlie of sound I've been missing out on. Commercials seem to be much better for showing off the sub than regular tv though. That Target Easter add with everyone jumping is my favorite.

It has no trouble filling the room with low sounds. I noticed the other day at a friend's house the low end wouldn't go through an open door with a short hallway beyond it. I assume that has something to do with wavelengths?

Too much playing with it though and my wife and I get carsick for hours.

The cabinet isn't finished yet. I wanted to wait and make sure it was going to be decent before I put time and effort into making it pretty. Looks like I better get busy.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub Plan.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	634961  
post #18140 of 18145 Old Today, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Yeah, it's a bit ... Well, like the Monolith scene in 2001, if you know what I mean.

I vote for Holodeck as a replacement. It's more in keeping with all the high tech necessary for the space to function
post #18141 of 18145 Old Today, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWoodenBoy View Post
My DS1200 CI a few weeks ago. I got the cabinet glued up and and spent this week breaking it in. It's based on the Rythmik down firing plans laid over, but with a separate chamber for the amp. All 0.75" BB.

I have only very limited experience with other subs so I can't really compare it to anything, but it has totally impressed me. I hear things in music I didn't know existed though I've been listening to the track for years. So much tv seems to have a constant underlie of sound I've been missing out on. Commercials seem to be much better for showing off the sub than regular tv though. That Target Easter add with everyone jumping is my favorite.

It has no trouble filling the room with low sounds. I noticed the other day at a friend's house the low end wouldn't go through an open door with a short hallway beyond it. I assume that has something to do with wavelengths?

Too much playing with it though and my wife and I get carsick for hours.

The cabinet isn't finished yet. I wanted to wait and make sure it was going to be decent before I put time and effort into making it pretty. Looks like I better get busy.

Mike
Where are the pictures?

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #18142 of 18145 Old Today, 01:33 PM

This thread is a giant. I'm sure my question has been asked many times before but here we go again.

I want to build a sub for music. I only have room for one box. My budget is relatively high, I want the best. I live in Finland so I will not be able to buy an finnished product due to very expensive shipping overseas, I'm looking for a kit.

What would you recommend? I'm thinking dual sealed 12" GR with the 2x400 plate amp. Thanks!
post #18143 of 18145 Old Today, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontusB View Post
This thread is a giant. I'm sure my question has been asked many times before but here we go again.

I want to build a sub for music. I only have room for one box. My budget is relatively high, I want the best. I live in Finland so I will not be able to buy an finnished product due to very expensive shipping overseas, I'm looking for a kit.

What would you recommend? I'm thinking dual sealed 12" GR with the 2x400 plate amp. Thanks!
I would go with a F25 clone. Get the Dual driver kit with two DS1501 drivers and one HX800XLR3 amplifier. I can send you by email the plans to build the F25 box.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #18144 of 18145 Unread Today, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Where are the pictures?
Did the picture not come through? I see one on my end. It's a view out of Sketchup. Other than that, it's not much to look at yet. Just a plywood box sitting on some styrofoam. It seems to be mostly broken in, but maybe I have no idea as it keeps getting better and better.

This weekend should see the feet going on and if the weather cooperates, I'll start on the lacquer.
post #18145 of 18145 Unread Today, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontusB View Post

Post over in the DIY section. You'll get all kinds of suggestions there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page