Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 618 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 317Likes
post #18511 of 18520 Unread Yesterday, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
^^^ Tvuong very nice I like it. I'm surprised you have the grills on your FV's.
Thanks. Kids like to throw things in that hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18512 of 18520 Unread Yesterday, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Very smart buy. It's great to see people like you that really take the time to find somthing that will fit the need and not the want.

I know Rythmik's are great for movies too but alot of our subs are great for Movies.
Music is another animal and I find that Rythmik always comes out on top when it comes to music.
No reason they wouldn't come out on top for movies either. The same servo control that makes piano hammer and drum strikes sound clean in music will make movie transients like gunshots or even just footfalls as actors walk down the hall just as clean.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #18513 of 18520 Unread Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
No reason they wouldn't come out on top for movies either. The same servo control that makes piano hammer and drum strikes sound clean in music will make movie transients like gunshots or even just footfalls as actors walk down the hall just as clean.
Most regular Joe's are use to unclean distorted bass. Think about it, when you were young Bass to you was turning the bass knob up in your car or home system and club bass. Most people will heard clean bass and say... where is the Bass. I will never forget picking out a system for a friend and him saying he wants clean bass. I took him to a high end audio shop and played two subs for him. One a 15" servo sealed sub and the other a 10" dual radiator small cube. The Servo was super clean and shock the walls and room with <20hz silent music. The other was high distortion and was heard everytime it played somthing. He picked the distortion.
post #18514 of 18520 Unread Yesterday, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I designed a servo-controlled sub in college because others were not clean enough or cost too much to me. Special case, I was lucky to be around a lot of high-end gear, and had some technical knowledge besides.

A lot of people prefer the distortion because it makes the sub sound louder. They can't really hear 60 Hz, more "feel" it, but they can hear the thump/boom at 120 Hz and figure it's better. Sad.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #18515 of 18520 Unread Yesterday, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
This weekend, I sat back and thought through what I liked and disliked about my PB13 subs. The PB13 were great for movies, but I felt they were slow/flabby for music. The bass just seemed lazy. It is hard to describe but they weren't quick and seemed to have a bit of overhang. I am sure my room could be improved but after hours of reading I found that I wasn't the only one with that perception. Great subs, don't get me wrong. For movies, these things performed - period. They served me well for four years, but it was time that we parted ways. They were sold a couple of weeks ago.
As a drummer, I appreciate fast snappy bass. A kick drum should pop with direct focus and attack. I didnt have that with my Ultras.
Being a former drummer myself(still have my Granstar customs, just hardly play anymore) I understand the feeling you had, and that is exactly why I ripped the MFW15 drivers out of my Micro cabinets, and installed Dayton PA460(18") drivers in them.
Tracking bass lines is also much easier.
The low end will be provided by (2) HT18 subs that I still have to build.
I owned a DIY Rythmik sub, it was a great sub....I still own the amp.
csnow and Tiến Seven like this.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.

Last edited by muzz; Yesterday at 04:37 PM.
post #18516 of 18520 Unread Yesterday, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
Being a former drummer myself(still have my Granstar customs, just hardly play anymore) I understand the feeling you had, and that is exactly why I ripped the MFW15 drivers out of my Micro cabinets, and installed Dayton PA460(18") drivers in them.
Tracking bass lines is also much easier.
The low end will be provided by (2) HT18 subs that I still have to build.
I owned a DIY Rythmik sub, it was a great sub....I still own the amp.

What model of Rythmik sub do you have? I am planning to build a Rythmik sub too. Do you have any pictures of your masterpiece?
post #18517 of 18520 Unread Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
I am joining the Rythmik family. I am driving to Austin on Saturday to pick up my (2) F25s. I recently sold (2) PB13 Ultras, so I have been reading for hours on end. I spoke with JTR, RA, and PSA in emails and phone calls. I was close to going with Echo 18s or the soon to be released PSA 3600 (dual 18s). This weekend, I sat back and thought through what I liked and disliked about my PB13 subs. The PB13 were great for movies, but I felt they were slow/flabby for music. The bass just seemed lazy. It is hard to describe but they weren't quick and seemed to have a bit of overhang. I am sure my room could be improved but after hours of reading I found that I wasn't the only one with that perception. Great subs, don't get me wrong. For movies, these things performed - period. They served me well for four years, but it was time that we parted ways. They were sold a couple of weeks ago.

I then started rereading all the posts on the JTR, PSA, and RA subs. The sub meets, rankings, etc etc. What I found is that most of all the rankings were based on output levels and specifally output in the 16-25hz ranges. The primary focus of the sub meets was seeing what subs could crack the foundation of a house. Not to say music wasn't evaluated but these meets were there to see who had the BASS. I would akin them to the sub shootouts you see in car clubs. Insane SPL output with bass heavy movies/music for demo. Granted, I like tactile feel as much as the next guy, but outside of 10 or so movies I own i.e WOW, Oblivion, Interstellar, Tron, Kung Fu Panda, Edge of Tomorrow, etc most of my music and movie content is not in that range. I also was not out of headroom on my PB13 ultras so SPL measurements really didn't matter much. I don't listen at reference levels. On occasion I may let the system rip but I do value my hearing

Sorry to ramble, but long story short - I got wrapped up into benchmark racing. I was looking at DB output, driver size, amp power etc without defining specifically what I was looking for in a sub. As a drummer, I appreciate fast snappy bass. A kick drum should pop with direct focus and attack. I didnt have that with my Ultras. This led me to Rhythmic because they are always regarded as musical with very fast, articulate bass. Almost all the threads I read ranked Rythmik and Seaton as the clear music winners. I was also impressed they were chosen by Salk and Ascend as their recommended sub. I looked at Seaton, but I just don't know if my ears will hear that much of a difference for the $$$. The fact the Rythmik is in Austin (hour drive) and a Texas based company (its a tasty brisket, diesel truck, gun owner, proud Lone Star state thing) helped my decision. I also am hating being subless. Waiting for build times (RA) and development times (PSA) added some weight to the decision too. So, here I am fellas. You got a country boy in your midst.
When I started looking into subs, I too quickly realized that the sub-shoot out kind of guy was a different sort of listener than I, with different priorities. The comments by shoot-out attendants revealed them to be, as you stated, of the highest-output-at-the-lowest-frequency mindset. Like High School boys with their car subwoofer contests, as you alluded to. They are not audiophiles, with highly transparent upstream components, looking for bass reproduction that plays it's part in the overall goal of the accurate reproduction of music. To make an acoustic (stand up) bass sound like one really sounds, with it's timbre, texture, tonality, and timing intact (excessive alliteration?!). To make a Fender P-bass sound different than a Rickenbacker (okay, extreme example!). Those are the concerns of a more---yes, I'll say it---sophisticated, experienced music lover and audiophile. If that sounds elitist, so be it! Yes, at Rythmik you have found a different sort of subwoofer, one up to the very demanding task of high-quality music reproduction. By the way, I'm also a drummer. I restore Vintage tubs, and in listening to subs look for their ability to make a 60's Gretsch kick sound right. I am very familiar with the unique sound of Gretsch bass drums, having played one since '73, and use a recording I made of my 26 X 14 with a condenser mic into a Revox reel-to-reel to judge subwoofer sound quality. Quite a different challenge than playing a 10Hz movie sound effect at 110dB. I chose Rythmik.
csnow and Skerlnik like this.
post #18518 of 18520 Unread Today, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiến Seven View Post
What model of Rythmik sub do you have? I am planning to build a Rythmik sub too. Do you have any pictures of your masterpiece?
I only have the amp now, I built a 12" sealed in like 2007.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #18519 of 18520 Unread Today, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post
FV15HP user here. I have two quick questions:

1) how much clearance do the woofer and the ports need? My sub is currently located about 6 inches behind my entertainment center. Is this okay?

2) any ideas on how to raise the subwoofer about a foot? I plan to raise my entertainment center about a foot and would like to raise my sub as well.

Thanks!
Anybody on the first one? Is six inches enough clearance for ports and woofer?
post #18520 of 18520 Unread Today, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 285
^^ that is plenty. You will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page