Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 619 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 330Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18541 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
Nice - (and knowledge) This is starting to remind me of Porsche owners. Once my vette rips them a new a$$ they want to go into the subtleties and engineering elegance of the Porsche with a perceived superiority over the Chevy. .
But my 911 is air cooled
csnow and turbojohngt like this.

HT: Pioneer Elite, Oppo, M&K 750 LCR, M&K 125 Sub, 65" Panasonic plasma

Music: Yamaha A-S2000, Rega P5, Revel M22
coup36 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18542 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,970
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
Nice - (and knowledge) What I am detecting more than anything in this thread is snobbery and arrogance now. I hate to bust your bubbles but the Seaton sub has always bested the Rythmic in blind listening test including music. How about the Funk 18.2. As I stated, most of the meets are around SPL output but that doesnt mean that no one cares about music, it is just that HT is more important to them. Also, none of those winning subs are servo drivers, so I guess their quality is less. Really? This is starting to remind me of Porsche owners. Once my vette rips them a new a$$ they want to go into the subtleties and engineering elegance of the Porsche with a perceived superiority over the Chevy. My answer to that has always been if it was engineered so well, why were you looking at my tail lights. If we are going to be intellectually honest, most true, hard core audiophiles frown on subs to start with.
Easy..... Don didn't quote you, so I don't think he was singling you out, but more or less the idea of focusing too much on output and not quality. He's a musician so I get the comment. As for me I care a great deal about output, but also about the quality, so I very well could have been lumped into his comment. Also, I just wanted to mention that another member on here by the name of madhuski recently switched from a Submersive to an FV15HP and he said the Rythmik sounds every bit as good. Let's keep it friendly everyone...

P.S. that V3600 looks menacing. Be sure to take some pics and share your thoughts in the PSA thread. I'll be on the lookout.
csnow likes this.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II's, RC-62 II, RB-61 II's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's

Last edited by JT78681; Yesterday at 01:20 PM.
JT78681 is offline  
post #18543 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
csnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Easy..... Don didn't quote you, so I don't think he was singling you out, but more or less the idea of focusing too much on output and not quality. He's a musician so I get the comment. As for me I care a great deal about output, but also about the quality, so I very well could have been lumped into his comment. Also, I just wanted to mention that another member on here by the name of madhuski recently switched from a Submersive to an FV15HP and he said the Rythmik sounds every bit as good. Let's keep it friendly everyone...
True, I took as it was directed toward me. Don accept my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coup36 View Post
But my 911 is air cooled
Very well played! LOL

It's not that I don't like people, I just don't like stupid people. Therefore, I have few friends.
csnow is offline  
post #18544 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,893
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
Nice - (and knowledge) What I am detecting more than anything in this thread is snobbery and arrogance now. I hate to bust your bubbles but the Seaton sub has always bested the Rythmic in blind listening test including music. How about the Funk 18.2. As I stated, most of the meets are around SPL output but that doesnt mean that no one cares about music, it is just that HT is more important to them. Also, none of those winning subs are servo drivers, so I guess their quality is less. Really? This is starting to remind me of Porsche owners. Once my vette rips them a new a$$ they want to go into the subtleties and engineering elegance of the Porsche with a perceived superiority over the Chevy. My answer to that has always been if it was engineered so well, why were you looking at my tail lights. If we are going to be intellectually honest, most true, hard core audiophiles frown on subs to start with.
I think you are reading far too much into my post. I was responding to the earlier comments about sub fests and the desire for larger/louder over all else,or at least that's what seemed to be implied. A review of my posts would reveal a bias for servo based upon my first custom design ~30 years ago (long before I heard of Rythmik and long before the whole HT revolution) but nowhere have I said other subs are not good. I'm an admirer of Seaton, for that matter, and AFAIK have never mentioned Funk because I know very little about them. I could rattle off a list of subs I have heard and liked or disliked (more non-servo just because more of them are out there) but (a) no real point and (b) this is the Rythmik thread after all.

As an engineer, I appreciate the pros and cons of servo control, and the lack of it (which also has pros and cons). Brian and I have similar backgrounds, and Brian's design is similar to my decades-old approach, so Rythmik was a natural fit.

My old Jeep is not up to racing, unless you want to take your 'vette off road... My wife drives a Chevy Suburban, if that helps.

I shall have to share this with my friends who will get a kick out of me being called an arrogant snob... - Don
csnow likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #18545 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,893
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Crossing posts. JT78681 captured my thoughts well; I had no intent to single out anyone in particular, sorry if it seemed that way. I am posting between test runs so sometimes get out of synch. Yes, I play in an orchestra and dep lead in a few big bands around the area. Main night gig is www.pikespeakphil.org -- off for the summer but next season looks nice and brass heavy. My day gig is an analog engineer but playing with high-speed SerDes and such, no audio stuff.
csnow likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #18546 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
csnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
I think you are reading far too much into my post. I was responding to the earlier comments about sub fests and the desire for larger/louder over all else,or at least that's what seemed to be implied. A review of my posts would reveal a bias for servo based upon my first custom design ~30 years ago (long before I heard of Rythmik and long before the whole HT revolution) but nowhere have I said other subs are not good. I'm an admirer of Seaton, for that matter, and AFAIK have never mentioned Funk because I know very little about them. I could rattle off a list of subs I have heard and liked or disliked (more non-servo just because more of them are out there) but (a) no real point and (b) this is the Rythmik thread after all.

As an engineer, I appreciate the pros and cons of servo control, and the lack of it (which also has pros and cons). Brian and I have similar backgrounds, and Brian's design is similar to my decades-old approach, so Rythmik was a natural fit.

My old Jeep is not up to racing, unless you want to take your 'vette off road... My wife drives a Chevy Suburban, if that helps.

I shall have to share this with my friends who will get a kick out of me being called an arrogant snob... - Don
I got a couple of diesels - Excursion 4x4 and Dodge 2500 4x4. You would rape me off-road, these truck are too heavy. Reminds me of other forums where guys build big diesels for offroad. Never made sense to me, too big, too heavy, and long wheel base. The absolute worse combo for off-road. Let it rain a little bit and the Excursion can get stuck in a front yard even in 4x4...lol

I still plan to demo the Rythmik F25 with the PSA. I know they only have two F25's left so hopefully they will have inventory in two to three weeks.

It's not that I don't like people, I just don't like stupid people. Therefore, I have few friends.
csnow is offline  
post #18547 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have another thread going on selecting a new sub. Reading the different official threads on different brands of subwoofers, I think I have most in common with this group. Strongly leaning toward Rythmik because of SQ. Rythmic had not really been a consideration in the past.

The F15HP sounds like a great fit. Can anyone contrast that to the FV15HP? I've never owned a vented sub.

HT: Pioneer Elite, Oppo, M&K 750 LCR, M&K 125 Sub, 65" Panasonic plasma

Music: Yamaha A-S2000, Rega P5, Revel M22
coup36 is online now  
post #18548 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
csnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by coup36 View Post
I have another thread going on selecting a new sub. Reading the different official threads on different brands of subwoofers, I think I have most in common with this group. Strongly leaning toward Rythmik because of SQ. Rythmic had not really been a consideration in the past.

The F15HP sounds like a great fit. Can anyone contrast that to the FV15HP? I've never owned a vented sub.
Email Rythmik and see if they have a customer in your area that is on AVS. You may be able to setup a demo. I have never seen a bad Rythmik review. My choice came down to PSA and Rythmik. Why not the F25? Only 1db difference down low but more up top where music is.

It's not that I don't like people, I just don't like stupid people. Therefore, I have few friends.
csnow is offline  
post #18549 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
Email Rythmik and see if they have a customer in your area that is on AVS. You may be able to setup a demo. I have never seen a bad Rythmik review. My choice came down to PSA and Rythmik. Why not the F25? Only 1db difference down low but more up top where music is.

Thanks Chris.

I think id rather have 2 individual subs over a dual driver sub.

HT: Pioneer Elite, Oppo, M&K 750 LCR, M&K 125 Sub, 65" Panasonic plasma

Music: Yamaha A-S2000, Rega P5, Revel M22
coup36 is online now  
post #18550 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,893
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 416
@coup36 : Vented subs have gotten a bad rep IMO partly due to poorly designed and/or abused subs exhibiting high port noise, and partly the perception that sealed designs better control cone movement and dampen cone modes leading to lower distortion and cleaner time response. Neither terribly valid concerns for well-designed subs of either flavor under normal use. The usual trade is vented designs typically offer greater output above the port tuning frequency, but drop off quickly below, while sealed designs roll off slower so have a little more extension. They have been compared in this thread and there are response curves here and on the Rythmik site. I prefer sealed but these days that's as much personal bias/experience (old dog) as anything.

If the F15HP is enough for you and you've always had sealed, you have to decide if you want to stick with what you know or try something new. Chances are good you will be happy with either and sonically there is not much difference IMO, especially since the servo controls distortion that might otherwise arise around and below the port frequency. Conventional designs use other means to control the cone below the port frequency (or not; not all sub designs - of any type - are optimal, probably due to cost considerations as much as anything).

HTH - Don
coup36 likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #18551 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Does anyone have an F12 or two in an average living room and think they aren't powerful enough?
Soulburner is online now  
post #18552 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,544
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
This is starting to remind me of Porsche owners. Once my vette rips them a new a$$ they want to go into the subtleties and engineering elegance of the Porsche with a perceived superiority over the Chevy. My answer to that has always been if it was engineered so well, why were you looking at my tail lights. If we are going to be intellectually honest, most true, hard core audiophiles frown on subs to start with.
My 95 Supra smoked my friend's new 911 turbo but I have to admit his 911 handling performance is much better especially thru tight corner. My Supra has more horse, does that makes my car a better one? Absolutely not as I trade mine for his any day.
I would love to hear your thought on comparing the F25's and the V3600's. Output wise, we already know which one comes out top but I'd like to hear your opinion about sound quality between the two at your normal listening level or -10MV.
csnow likes this.
tvuong is offline  
post #18553 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
csnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
My 95 Supra smoked my friend's new 911 turbo but I have to admit his 911 handling performance is much better especially thru tight corner. My Supra has more horse, does that makes my car a better one? Absolutely not as I trade mine for his any day.
I would love to hear your thought on comparing the F25's and the V3600's. Output wise, we already know which one comes out top but I'd like to hear your opinion about sound quality between the two at your normal listening level or -10MV.
I used to own the good ole 2JZ-GTE engine. HKS 272 cams, single 67mm turbo, etc. One of the most bullet proof engines ever made. ARP stud it and abuse it daily. The only negative was the ECU sucked. Only real options were piggy backs (no timing control though) or going full standalone like AEM which were a royal pain requiring constant fiddling. The GM ECUs are really nice and very programmable.

It's not that I don't like people, I just don't like stupid people. Therefore, I have few friends.

Last edited by csnow; Yesterday at 05:01 PM.
csnow is offline  
post #18554 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Does anyone have an F12 or two in an average living room and think they aren't powerful enough?
I have two F12SEs is my 2800 cu ft living room and they are plenty enough for music and movies. I'm running them hot by +6dB. The level in my Marantz 7008 is -4dB after increasing +6dB and the subwoofer volume knob is set at 12 o'clock so I have plenty headroom.
Soulburner likes this.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

 

My Multimedia Room Gallery

enricoclaudio is offline  
post #18555 of 18556 Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I have two F12SEs is my 2800 cu ft living room and they are plenty enough for music and movies. I'm running them hot by +6dB. The level in my Marantz 7008 is -4dB after increasing +6dB and the subwoofer volume knob is set at 12 o'clock so I have plenty headroom.
Thanks. So I can safely assume that the L12s, being *sightly* less powerful, shouldn't leave me wanting as I don't often go past -15.

It's easy to get caught up in the SPL race and feel like you might not be happy with the smaller subs. But we forget that not that many people actually need huge output. More important to me is the quality, and a small footprint so that I have the most placement options in and around all the furniture.

Mitsubishi WD-65835 -> Samsung PN64H5000
AVR-1910 -> AVR-X4000
Infinity P362 -> EMP E5Ti -> Chane A3rx-c -> Reaction Audio CX-10
Velodyne VX-10 -> Rythmik L12 (2)
Samsung PN64H5000 Recommended Settings

Last edited by Soulburner; Yesterday at 10:15 PM.
Soulburner is online now  
post #18556 of 18556 Old Today, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
bkeeler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Does anyone have an F12 or two in an average living room and think they aren't powerful enough?
I have two F12SEs is my 2800 cu ft living room and they are plenty enough for music and movies. I'm running them hot by +6dB. The level in my Marantz 7008 is -4dB after increasing +6dB and the subwoofer volume knob is set at 12 o'clock so I have plenty headroom.
Wow, really? That's pretty amazing. Are you calibrated so that 0 dB on you volume level is reference level?

I may soon have an opportunity to build a house with a dedicated sealed theater that would be roughly 3200 cu ft. And here I was thinking about 4 F25 (DIY)! I definitely want four subs for the smoothing benefits, but perhaps the thing to do would be to get 2 F25 kits and build 4 boxes. Or build 4 F15HP at the most. I tend to listen at about 10 dB below reference with subs 2-5 dB hot. I do love having tons of headroom throughout the system, but it sounds to me like 4 F25 would be so excessive that those extra resources would be better spent elsewhere ...
bkeeler10 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off