Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 655 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 473Likes
post #19621 of 19623 Old Today, 06:51 AM
Exclusively Servo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
It was really interesting. With high damping, the bass wasn't what I'm used to hearing from subs. It wasn't even what I'm used to hearing from ported speakers. I couldn't tell what or where it was coming from, even though I know where my subs are. It just seemed like it was part of the movie.
A good sound is a result of many factors played together. Servo is a good idea. But if a company implements a servo sub with a fixed damping FR, customers won't know the sound difference that the damping setting can make. It not only serves as a practical purpose with a variable damping (which we did from our first servo amp), it also serves as a educational purpose. High damping has the least amount of ringing. When we add a subwoofer, the longest ringing of the impulse response moves from the front speakers to the subwoofer. For a 15 Hz extension, its ringing is naturally 4 times longer than the front speakers with 60hz extension with same Q value. So on one hand, we'd like to go with deeper extension, and on the other hand we need to keep the ringing to minimal so that we don't hear the long tail of the ringing from the sub. The life sound we hear every day does not have any ringing and it has no rumble filter. That is is really our comparison reference.

Quote:
It makes me wonder what the sound engineers intend the movie to sound like? With high damping are we getting what they actually meant for it to sound like? I have to assume that they know full well the vast majority of sub owners do NOT have servo control and would engineer their sound tracks accordingly.
We sold many subwoofers to mastering studios,which means they also struggle to find a "good" subwoofer that canreplay to the level of realistic "life sound" we know toowell. So when they find a good subwoofer, they will recommend toothers.

What the sound engineers in mastering studio cando is to adjust the EQ sliders; we have a couple of photos in our review webpages (from Sterling Sounds). So the question is can we adjust EQ to makelow damping sound like high damping? My answer is no, but others may sayyes. What we hear is more subtle than what a frequency response curve can show and explain.

Last edited by Rythmik; Today at 07:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19622 of 19623 Old Today, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
6db hot is just about right for me with Dynamic EQ turned off. I found that with Dynamic EQ engaged the other speakers tend to over power the center channel. Specifically, the dialogue.
I don't have problem with dialogue with dyneq on. Have you measured center and subs? You probably have a dip at crossover point. With dyneq on, my surrounds are a bit louder than I like so I reduce them by 2dbs.
post #19623 of 19623 Unread Today, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 638
I stopped using Dyn EQ a long time ago. I found with the speakers properly setup I did not need them blowing out the center dialog. Haven't missed it.

This is all 3 14hz modes in my home (XT32) off. So Tvuong makes a good point, just adjust to 75db like I normally would, then add a db, and Hi is close to low. That would be about a +6 or 7 db increase from what i see out of audyssey intial setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page