Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 665 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 541Likes
post #19921 of 19928 Old Today, 07:38 AM
Exclusively Servo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Myth.

This is exactly the reason I never fight customers opinion. If he had a ported sub and is largely happy, just want to get better clarity, I would ecommend our ported subs, not sealed subs. Every customer is different in sound quality preference, room and equipment setup.

Last edited by Rythmik; Today at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19922 of 19928 Old Today, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post
This is exactly the reason I never fight customers opinion. If he had a ported sub and is largely happy, just want to get better clarity, I would ecommend our ported subs, not sealed subs. Every customer is different in sound quality preference, room and equipment setup.
But if one is happy with their ported and not ever experienced a sealed sub how does that customer know if sealed is really a better solution or not?

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RS-35 / RS-25
SVS PC13-Ultra
post #19923 of 19928 Old Today, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
But if one is happy with their ported and not ever experienced a sealed sub how does that customer know if sealed is really a better solution or not?

Before I discovered Rythmik, I was looking at the SVS line of subs. I called them and talked to one of the engineers, asking him about the inherent difference in sound between their ported and sealed models (particularly the SB13 Ultra). When I asked about the difference in "speed" between them (the term used not in the literal sense, but in the sense of lack of overhang/overshoot/settling time/etc.---in other words, not starting speed, but stopping speed. I thought everybody in Hi-Fi understood that ;-), his demeanor took on an air of smug condescension, and he said "A 'fast' woofer would be a tweeter". Where I come from that's called being rude and insulting. He then said that the only advantage of sealed is in the room gain it provides in very small rooms, that ported outperform sealed in every other way, and were preferable in all but the smallest of rooms, sealed being recommended only for rooms too small for a "real" (ported) sub. Now, I'm no spring chicken, and I've had a fair number of woofers in my life---acoustic suspension (both with and without passive radiator assistance), bass reflex (ported), horn-loaded (JBL D-130's in huge Voice Of The Theater cabinets), transmission line (KEF B139 woofers in long lines), planar, motion-feedback (Infinity). Okay, I said to myself, here's an engineer who not only says his sealed design is no better than his ported, he says, in fact, exactly the opposite---that his ported is better than his sealed. I believe I'll keep looking, thought I. He had just talked himself out of a sale. Luckily, as that lead me to Rythmik!
enricoclaudio likes this.
post #19924 of 19928 Old Today, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well, you were talking to an engineer so someone from that perspective is highly likely to think of speed in the literal sense even after the inferred meaning is explained.

Life is Lambertian
post #19925 of 19928 Old Today, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I keep haring about speed of a subwoofer. I can never seem to hear it myself. I think of many smaller sealed subs as lifeless and a different person in the room thinks it is really fast. I think that serious bass is a personal liking. I sometimes think we get caught in terms or catch phases like warmer sound. Really the words are just adjectives to describe a certain perspective and in double blind test many can not tell a sealed from a ported design. I would love to hear Rythmik or SVS. I have heared JTR Orbital shifters, PSA ported, JL sealed and ported, REL sealed, Si-24 Sealed, gjallarhorn foled horn, and Ultimax sealed. I thought they were all great.
post #19926 of 19928 Unread Today, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
Well, you were talking to an engineer so someone from that perspective is highly likely to think of speed in the literal sense even after the inferred meaning is explained.
Brian is an engineer (as am I).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #19927 of 19928 Unread Today, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 463
I never heard a sub described as "lifeless" based upon its size.

While many associated "speed" with "fast" or "wide bandwidth", IME/IMO it is really about control. You hear the speed of a good sub when the sound stops after a drum stick or piano hammer strikes and the sound dies away naturally, quickly, without filling the space between notes. To you and others that may sound "lifeless". To me it sounds realistic and "clean". (Of course, "clean" has come to mean "sterile", with negative connotation. I can't keep up with how audiophiles redefine English.) But, some prefer that extra sound, describing it as "richer" or "fuller"; others think it "boomy" and "bloated". The nice thing about Rythmik is you can adjust the damping to choose your favorite sound.

Good subs sound more alike than different. The huge differences often raved about are often pretty subtle, at least to me. But, there are differences, and I can appreciate (or at least understand) them.

YMMV - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #19928 of 19928 Unread Today, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 1536
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. That makes sense.

So, ported vs. sealed is one of multiple factors that affect impulse response.

My point stands, though, that they are not the same.

Incidentally, I prefer the rumble filter disabled, but leave the limiter enabled.
I didn't claim that ported and sealed are the same. I dispute the myth that sealed subs are inherently superior in sound quality to ported subs, or tighter, or crisper, or more articulate etc etc. I agree that subs will sound different in room when comparing ported, sealed, horn etc etc. But I also believe that our ears are not as precise as some of us wish to believe, or that we are immune to our biases when listening to our preferred alignment. I have seen far too many occasions in which those who adamantly prefer a particular alignment are somehow unable to determine which one they are listening to when the curtain is drawn in a blind test. People cannot reliably determine whether they are listening to ported, sealed, or horn in blind listening tests, especially when they are eq'd as closely as possible. I think there are subtle differences that can affect the sound of a sub, but well designed subs eq'd the same in room would be impossible to tell apart in honest blind testing imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page