Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 680 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 645Likes

post #20371 of 20376 Old Today, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Once we grow up its called an Arms race Everyone else is doing it! One could go on and on but its by no means necessary for Rythmik to do so as there subs are already well regarded for SQ and output. While the WAF does indeed play a role , it stands to say if you can get away with a 15" sub then an F25 is no different than an 18" sub, at that point you can pretty much assume one has very accommodating spouse . Time will tell if this is a fad or not
An F25 and something with an 18" driver would always be different, so I'm not sure what you're attempting to convey. Perpetually associating it to maturity is ridiculous - there's no correlation whatsoever.

I'm finishing up the first draft of my XTZ Cinema Series review, and this system comes with a 4 foot tall sub that has three 12" drivers. Sitting not 5 feet from that is a JTR Captivator 1400, which is 2/3rd's the size and has an 18" driver. The Cap can do things the SUB3X12 simply can't, yet your comparison suggests the opposite would hold true. If Brian decides to dip his toes into the 18" market you can reasonably expect the same to occur, vis-a-vis the F25 and his 18" variant. To use a term from the auto world... there's no replacement for displacement.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite

Last edited by JimWilson; Today at 07:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20372 of 20376 Old Today, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
If I sit in my internet direct subwoofer manufacturer armchair, I would say it would be prudent to be exploring the possibility of an 18" subwoofer design. However, just looking at it from an admittedly limited perspective on the marketplace conditions for internet direct subwoofers, I don't see why Rythmik would be compelled to design, manufacture, and distribute an 18" subwoofer. None of the ID subwoofer focused companies offer an 18". SVS, for example, doesn't even have a 15" and they seem to be doing just fine. That seems to indicate there hasn't been an incentive to offer a home application of an 18" sub given the proliferation of 18" drivers in the car audio market. For the home market, 12" subs seems to be the most attractive solution if Brian's comments about the LV12R are any indication.

It would be a pleasant surprise to have my armchair expectations be proven wrong though.
What ID companies have you looked at? PSA, JTR, Funk Audio, Deep Sea Sound and RA all sell subwoofers with 18" drivers. Collectively they probably sell a lot of them. There is most definitely a market for the big guns. (Funk also sells units with 21" drivers while DSS has 24", so the 18's aren't even considered that large any longer)

You may be taking Brian's comments about the LV12R out of context. The reason Rythmik probably moves so many of them is because that's the best value in his line. It's a tremendous amount of subwoofer for a very reasonable price, and the community now knows that so it gets mentioned quite frequently.
sk373 likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #20373 of 20376 Old Today, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 549
There will always be a market for the "bigger is better" crowd. Some have legitimate need for greater displacement and such; others simply want the biggest ("boys with toys"). I think it would get harder to obtain clean sound as the cone size goes up; cone modes (distortion) gets harder to control and a servo can only do so much. You'd need a stiffer cone, probably leading to more mass and more power required to drive, and so forth. The box would need to be large, though EQ and servo helps with that and the drive issue.

Still, my foursome of little F12's offers about the same area as a couple of 18" subs, and four subs lets me better flatten my FR, so there! Besides, four is always better than two, right? There were also a number of papers way back when about the advantages of using multiple smaller drivers rather than a single larger one. Not the Bose approach, but rather front-firing large arrays. Audio had a nice article about building such a beast at one time.

The old HQD systems were still pretty cool and one I saw had an extra pair of Hartley's in the back corners (that would be four 24" woofers for you youngsters). A rotary would be pretty cool, too, but see earlier pictures of resulting impact on the house...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #20374 of 20376 Old Today, 08:08 AM
Exclusively Servo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
What ID companies have you looked at? PSA, JTR, Funk Audio, Deep Sea Sound and RA all sell subwoofers with 18" drivers. Collectively they probably sell a lot of them. There is most definitely a market for the big guns. (Funk also sells units with 21" drivers while DSS has 24", so the 18's aren't even considered that large any longer)

You may be taking Brian's comments about the LV12R out of context. The reason Rythmik probably moves so many of them is because that's the best value in his line. It's a tremendous amount of subwoofer for a very reasonable price, and the community now knows that so it gets mentioned quite frequently.

Here is my sketch idea of an 18" model. Fixed tuning frequency as there is no need for a higher tuning frequency. The tuning frequency will be same as FV15HP one port (12hz) and there will be two 3-1/2" ports. The enclosure size will be 40% bigger, and the port length will be 40% longer. 900WRMS power.
post #20375 of 20376 Old Today, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 511
^^ estimated price is? And output will be about +3db across the board over the fv15hp?
post #20376 of 20376 Old Today, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 225
braveheart123 likes this.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page