Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 733 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1246Likes

Old 12-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~M View Post
Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

I was standing outside waiting on the UPS truck when it went by, I had a flashlight and was illuminating my house number so he could see in the dark. He left...then he came back a few minutes later saying he thought it was odd that I was outside with a flashlight illuminating my house number. So, he visually inspected the boxes in his truck and found my subwoofer. It was not on his electronic manifest of deliveries!!! If I was not outside acting all odd with my flashlight, he would not have manually checked the boxes, and I would have gone another night without the sub being delivered. The UPS driver was the coolest dude, I explained to him it was supposedly out for delivery yesterday...then he said that someone put it on his truck without scanning it today. He showed me the tag on it that it was scanned yesterday for delivery, the loading folks did not rescan it today...This driver should be in customer service, real nice.

There is a large hole in the box that goes to the inner foam.

Photos of box:

Kids are asleep can't open it tonight. Have to wait till after I take them to school, and after my dental appointment tomorrow.

More images tomorrow when I open it up.

Later,

Tony

Hi Tony. How is the sub looking? Have you had a chance to set it up yet?

Ross

Mint black oak Rythmik F12 for sale, please PM
Speakers/Sub: EMP Tek R55Ti mains, R56Ci center, R5Bi surrounds, SubMersive F2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
This should be in a PM, or start a thread in the Speakers forum. A lot of comments in the Magnepan thread (and others) will apply.

I'll touch a couple of things recognizing I am not BDP24 (probably makes us both pretty happy ):

The Hsu subs I have heard (few recently) are nice but the servo and overall Rythmik design lets the Rythmik play deeper with lower distortion and less ringing so the Rythmiks sound much cleaner. They remind me why I decided my subs would be servo since my first servo sub design in the early 1980's. ET's, like other planar speakers, have very clean output (impulse response) since the entire panel area is driven. Don't muck that up with a bad sub. Not that Hsu is bad, but Rythmik is better, IMO.

I have always preferred sealed subs but a good design should suffice for either, and the servo makes them sound very similar. In a moderately-sized room the sealed design will generally provide a bit more LF extension.

A pair of subs will generally provide much better LF response in-room than a single sub.

Planar speakers have limited excursion and are not happy with loud low bass signals (music or HT). I prefer to cross them over an octave or so above their LF cutoff. BUT, ET's are hybrids, with a dynamic driver for the LF. Crossing over an octave above their LF spec is still a good plan IMO, so I'd set the crossover around 50 or 60 Hz. Very few speakers handle really low bass well, That's why you get a sub (among other reasons).

Dipoles generate a back wave that hits the wall behind, inverts, and recombines with the front wave. In general you need to have them far enough away from the wall that the destructive cancellation is below the crossover (or where you hear it) or you need to dampen the rear wall. Or both. Placement is sensitive to the room and listening position. Be prepared to experiment. It is worth it.

I have bi-amped (actively, using an external crossover) my Maggies and other speakers over the years with various results. At present I am of the opinion that, unless you are searching for a different tonal character like tube midrange and SS bass, the cost and effort of bi-amping is not worth it. If you mean "passive" bi-amping with an AVR, not worth anything more than "no".

The tweeter setting depends on the room and preference. Try and see which you like best.

Any decent wire will work. Like other planar dynamics, as BDP24 said, the impedance is fairly constant so they are a fairly benign load. Use what you have or buy some 12 AWG from anybody.

HTH and doesn't offend; I am sure BDP24 will happily respond! - Don
Thank you, Don. Very informative. Will wait for BDP's PM as well.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:48 PM

Location: "The loveliest fleet of islands that lies anchored in any ocean"
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
laulau, this guide is really good. I always send it to our customers. BTW the links to Audyssey FAQ and Audyssey Guide are incorrect. They all point to page 1295. I have them corrected on the version I send to customers but if you can just check on the links to Audyssey and make the necessary corrections. Thanks!!
Hmmm, the links were working for me but I've re-uploaded the document anyway. You might want to grab it again just in case you have an earlier version. All those links are PITA to keep updated. Let me know if you find any other problems with it.

Salk SongTowers-RAAL/Salk SongCtr-RAAL/Salk SongSurr ; Rythmik F12 (x2) ; Denon 4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; w/BJCables; NAS DLNA; Xbox 360; Chromecast; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic & REW; CalMAN 5 HT i1D3 & i1 Pro2
AGD DAC-19 > Cavalli LC & Schiit Valhalla>>Senn HD600 & HFM HE400i w/BITV Cables ; Schiit Ma2Uber/Mo2Uber>>Oppo PM-3 & Senn HD555 ; Schiit Fulla>>RHA MA750 & AT ATH-M50S
Old 12-02-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post
Hmmm, the links were working for me but I've re-uploaded the document anyway. You might want to grab it again just in case you have an earlier version. All those links are PITA to keep updated. Let me know if you find any other problems with it.
They are doing the same, sending you to page 1295. Here the hyperlinks I get from the guide:

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I know what is happening. Your links work only for those who have their preferences to show 40 post per page. I have my preferences set to show 30 post per page so that's why those links are sending me to the wrong page. I changed my preferences to 40 post per page and know the hyperlinks are working fine.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

Old 12-02-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
I know what is happening. Your links work only for those who have their preferences to show 40 post per page. I have my preferences set to show 30 post per page so that's why those links are sending me to the wrong page. I changed my preferences to 40 post per page and know the hyperlinks are working fine.
Purely from a computer engineers perspective, which has been my profession for many years now... that sounds a bit odd to me. The number of posts per page should (technically) be irrelevant to what is displayed in any single post; at no point should the display count interfere with the content. I'm not doubting you - there could certainly be a bug in the forum software - but that one is a real head scratcher for someone who understands the nuts-n-bolts of these things like I do.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 12-02-2015, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Enrico:

How are the F12SE's coming along?

Kevin T
Old 12-02-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Purely from a computer engineers perspective, which has been my profession for many years now... that sounds a bit odd to me. The number of posts per page should (technically) be irrelevant to what is displayed in any single post; at no point should the display count interfere with the content. I'm not doubting you - there could certainly be a bug in the forum software - but that one is a real head scratcher for someone who understands the nuts-n-bolts of these things like I do.
Looks like it's a bug. The hyperlink takes the post number info but also the page where the post is. If you set 30 post per page the hyperlink is different that when you set 40 or any other number of post per page... I had 30 post per page and those links where sending me to page 1726. Now that I set 40 post per page they send me to page 1295 which is the page on the hyperlinks on lalau's guide...
Old 12-02-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgturner View Post
Enrico:

How are the F12SE's coming along?

Kevin T
We got 16 units in stock yesterday!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
We got 16 units in stock yesterday!!!
YAY! Please tell me that 2 of them are mine. Order 4616494.

Kevin T
Old 12-02-2015, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
YAY! Please tell me that 2 of them are mine. Order 4616494.

Kevin T
Yours will go out tomorrow!!
Old 12-02-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
yours will go out tomorrow!!
Oh Yeah!!!

Dang it. Guess I can't add an animated .gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boom.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1094170  
Old 12-02-2015, 04:42 PM

Liked: 0
enclosure only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by NapalmV5

id be more interested in rythmik mains/towers for clean/tight/accurate full range

sealed/servo/active mains lol how about it brian ??

Well, I did have a project like that. The idea is to extend the servo operation to midrange driver while keeping the tweeter nonservo. I have done everything I could to reduce the voice coil inductance, including an alumimun phase plug which may turn out to be a bad idea. Just demonstrated the system at Danny's house (GR Research) before holiday. Since the midrange can also be used as nonservo, I have design a passive xover for the midrange drivers so that they have the same response as in servo mode. This makes the comparison of servo vs nonservo easier. To make the long story short, I do think the improvement on dynamics such as drums is very audible. However, there are some resonances above 500hz that keeps them from being perfectly flat and Danny can easily point them out even before we proceeded to measurement. It is a type of parasitic resonances that servo cannot correct. Because those resonances showed up only after I put them in enclosures, I do suspect it arises from enclosure's air spring and the air gap between phase plug and voice coil. In short, the box is technically not sealed at all. I will try out different enclosure type such as TL or vented box so those 5-1/4 midrange driver can play into 50hz/40hz without a sub. While it may not play very low, it does make the assessment of merits easier.
Would you guys sell the enclosure separately?
Old 12-02-2015, 04:53 PM

Liked: 0
Ordered my first set of speakers (170 SEs)/sub from Ascend Acoustics on Friday. Unfortunately the LV12R is out of stock until January Currently considering ordering an SVS PB-1000 to tide me over until then (free 45 day trial!). It would also give me something to compare the LV12R to when it arrives.
Just did some more research and I see that HSU is closeby so I might go get an VTF-2 MK4 to compare instead. That is supposed to be closer competition to the LV12R from what I have read.

Last edited by Schryverr; 12-02-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
Thank you, Don. Very informative. Will wait for BDP's PM as well.
Vlad you just need two F25. Even though two F12 would do you well because you have so little room.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Something Seriously Wrong Here...

Hello all,

Hope you are all well.

I opened the box and there is something very wrong with my order!!!

Look at this:

I got a SubMeower instead of a SubWoofer!! It appears to have a chord, but no quick instruction guide. It has a weak response, and does not pressurize the room when I plug it in.

Real pictures be up in a bit.

Later,

Tony
KMFDMvsEnya likes this.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Hello all,

Hope you are all well.

I opened the box and there is something very wrong with my order!!!

Look at this:

I got a SubMeower instead of a SubWoofer!! It appears to have a chord, but no quick instruction guide. It has a weak response, and does not pressurize the room when I plug it in.

Real pictures be up in a bit.

Later,

Tony
LOL Tony Is that the tail of a second feline in the foreground?

Ross

Mint black oak Rythmik F12 for sale, please PM
Speakers/Sub: EMP Tek R55Ti mains, R56Ci center, R5Bi surrounds, SubMersive F2
Old 12-02-2015, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh Yeah!!!

Check your email for UPS tracking numbers

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

Old 12-02-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
LOL Tony Is that the tail of a second feline in the foreground?

Ross
Yup, it had DualMeower drives.

Later,

Tony
rossandwendy likes this.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schryverr View Post
Ordered my first set of speakers (170 SEs)/sub from Ascend Acoustics on Friday. Unfortunately the LV12R is out of stock until January Currently considering ordering an SVS PB-1000 to tide me over until then (free 45 day trial!). It would also give me something to compare the LV12R to when it arrives.
Just did some more research and I see that HSU is closeby so I might go get an VTF-2 MK4 to compare instead. That is supposed to be closer competition to the LV12R from what I have read.
The LV12R kicks the SVS PB 1000's butt, IMO.
rossandwendy and PlasmaPZ80U like this.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
Old 12-02-2015, 09:58 PM

L22 Photos

Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

Here are the photos of the L22. It arrived intact. Yay!!

Back of grill is recessed to fit around drivers.

In its new home. Screen is a 134" wide by 65" high multi aspect ratio screen. Barely see it in my blacked out room. Walls are very dark grey, almost black. Ceiling is very dark maroon. It is a cave.

Flashlight shining on sub so we can see it here.

I just put it down and roughly calibrated by ear. At a distance of 10 ft it is able to vibrate my clothes and the couch easily. Strange feeling. It is sitting on carpet over a cement slab.

I am not going to have any time this week, or during the weekend, to get it calibrated or try different locations. Too much work, not enough play time. Wife going to be home too much too...lol. She won't tolerate me goofing with it all day, or at all really. She thinks I am a crackpot.

I wil post more after I get it dialed in. Will be a while. Need a day to myself with nobody around. Hardly ever happens.

Later,

Tony

Old 12-02-2015, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
sealed/servo/active mains lol how about it brian ??

Well, I did have a project like that. The idea is to extend the servo operation to midrange driver while keeping the tweeter nonservo. I have done everything I could to reduce the voice coil inductance, including an alumimun phase plug which may turn out to be a bad idea. Just demonstrated the system at Danny's house (GR Research) before holiday. Since the midrange can also be used as nonservo, I have design a passive xover for the midrange drivers so that they have the same response as in servo mode. This makes the comparison of servo vs nonservo easier. To make the long story short, I do think the improvement on dynamics such as drums is very audible. However, there are some resonances above 500hz that keeps them from being perfectly flat and Danny can easily point them out even before we proceeded to measurement. It is a type of parasitic resonances that servo cannot correct. Because those resonances showed up only after I put them in enclosures, I do suspect it arises from enclosure's air spring and the air gap between phase plug and voice coil. In short, the box is technically not sealed at all. I will try out different enclosure type such as TL or vented box so those 5-1/4 midrange driver can play into 50hz/40hz without a sub. While it may not play very low, it does make the assessment of merits easier.
@Rythmik
Okay...just saw that. Sounds very interesting!

While you're at it (kidding, mostly), please combine with high efficiency low distortion drivers and active crossovers with frequency and mixed phase impulse correction (like in the JBL M2s) for ultimate drum reproduction.

The BMS 4593ND coax drivers in the JTRs can play cleanly down to 300hz, so it could be a great complement to servo mid woofers that can play up to 500. They also play loud while sounding as sweet as ribbons.

Not sure if you've seen Audiolense XO, but it can generate crossover FIR filters with mixed phase correction. (Also, Acourate and rePhase, although opinions differ on what works best.)

I like the goal of perfect drum reproduction.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Oh Yeah!!!

You can't? Here I'll help you out!

Display - Vizio M70‑C3
Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II's, RC-62 II, RB-61 II's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Old 12-03-2015, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If I'm using the Line in connection which options do i check for #6 and #7 in the subtuner tool? http://www.rythmikaudio.com/subtuner2.html

Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP

Last edited by MrGrey; 12-03-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

Here are the photos of the L22. It arrived intact. Yay!!

Back of grill is recessed to fit around drivers.

In its new home. Screen is a 134" wide by 65" high multi aspect ratio screen. Barely see it in my blacked out room. Walls are very dark grey, almost black. Ceiling is very dark maroon. It is a cave.

Flashlight shining on sub so we can see it here.

I just put it down and roughly calibrated by ear. At a distance of 10 ft it is able to vibrate my clothes and the couch easily. Strange feeling. It is sitting on carpet over a cement slab.

I am not going to have any time this week, or during the weekend, to get it calibrated or try different locations. Too much work, not enough play time. Wife going to be home too much too...lol. She won't tolerate me goofing with it all day, or at all really. She thinks I am a crackpot.

I wil post more after I get it dialed in. Will be a while. Need a day to myself with nobody around. Hardly ever happens.

Later,

Tony
Very nice room, Tony. Which projector is that?

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

Old 12-03-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Very nice room, Tony. Which projector is that?
Hello Enrico,

Hope you are well.

Thank you. We love our theater.

That is a Sony VPL-HW10. I go through bulbs at a rate of about one every 1,400 hours to maintain brightness on that large screen.

The housing and lens are identical to your VPL-HW40es. The HW10 has an active iris though, but no 3d. Only 1,000 lumens output, compared to your 1,700 lumens. You are seeing the magic of a blacked out room, looks pretty bright...eh?

Later,

Tony
rcohen and enricoclaudio like this.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
BDP24, a friend of mine pointed me to this thread - and your post in particular - knowing that I am researching Rythmik subs . I ordered the Eminents (LFT-8b) 45 days ago. Bruce assures me they will be shipped in a week. I have a few questions for you.
1) Did you consider purchasing a Hsu subwoofer ? I have never heard neither a Hsu nor Rythmik, but these two brands are described as best to be used with Maggies or Eminents. If you did, what made you choose a Rythmik?
2) Which Rythmik sub would you choose as best ? Is it the FV15HP or the F25? Mostly it will be used for music, not HT.
3) How low did you setup your crossover? 40hz, 80hz?
4) How would you describe the ET sound as opposed to the Maggies? I have 2.7's. I currently use them in a parallel stereo set up (meaning there are two power amps powering a pair of Polk LSiM 705s and the Maggies 2.7). So, if the ET's are close to the Maggies I may still use both Maggies and ET's at the same time.
5) How large is your room?
6) How far did you position the ET's from the rear wall? Did you experiment with that distance? What did you observe as you moved the speakers closer to the back wall?
7) Did you also order Anchor stands with the ET's? Did they make any difference?
8) Given the resources, would you consider biamping them?
9) Which speaker cables do you think work well with the ET's?
10) The Eminents have 3 tweeter settings . Do you run yours on the highest tweeter setting? Is there actually an audible difference?
11) When you bought the Eminents, how long did you have to wait before they were delivered. I have been waiting almost 2 months, which is a torture.
Thanks.

I started a PM to answer your questions, but then reconsidered. I think there may be enough information of general population interest to warrant this post. At least, I hope so! Grab a cup of coffee, here we go:

1- I bought a pair of the original Hsu HRSW10 subs from Peter at CES in the early 90's to augment my Quad loudspeakers ("loud" speakers and Quad an oxymoron if there ever was one ;-). They are now in a video system, where high performance is not a priority for me. After being out of the Hi-Fi game for a while, I re-entered it a few years ago and started looking into subs. I found the current Hsu's, SVS (initially finding the SB13 Ultra very appealing), JL Audio, Velodyne, Vandersteen, Seaton, Funk, DIY with the infamous TC Sounds LMS Ultra 18 driver, and all the other contemporary contestants. I sympathize with you youngins, having to buy blind, without being able to hear ID subs before purchase. It's not as bad for us grizzled old veterans, as we can tell a lot about a product simply by what the designer has to say about it. Such was the case for me with Brian Ding and Rythmik, and then Danny Richie (a sometimes collaborator of Brian's) and GR Research. My intuition and instincts have proven to be correct. I was looking for the ultimate sub for music when mated with dipole/panel loudspeakers, the most difficult type loudspeaker for a sub to integrate with. IMO, Rythmik/GR Research is that sub.

2- FV15HP versus F25? How did you narrow the choice to those two models, may I ask? Yes, the first decision in sub choice is between sealed and ported, but only the first. One then looks into all the models of that design available. The choice between sealed and ported can be made based on room size, SPL capability desired, bandwidth (how high and low in frequency), budget, and, most controversially, sound quality. Audiophiles "believe" sealed subs sound "tighter" than ported, ported a little "boomier". There are those who say nonsense, the two can not be distinguished in a blind listening test. Brian has supplied technical information on the lower group delay ("ringing") and superior transient response of sealed, and is himself a "believer". The choice is yours.

Assuming you choose sealed, why the F25? A single, or a pair? Do you really need all the output of the F25? The F12, F15HP, and F25 should sound pretty much identical unless you run out of output. How big is your room? How loud do you listen? The ET's play fairly loudly, but not THAT loud. They may be the limiting factor, not the sub. DonH50 found a pair of F12's to be all he needed for use with his speakers, the excellent Maggie III's. I WOULD stick with the "premier" Rythmiks (the F12, F15HP, and F25), not the economy models. This is for music after all, mankind's most important endeavor! If you have the dough, why NOT go for the 25's, ay?

I had decided on a pair of the DIY F15HP, wanting to put the amazing Rythmik DS1510 driver and H600 amp into a 4cu.ft. enclosure of my own design (dual-walled, the chamber between the walls filled with sand, and old trick from the 50's). But then I read about a very special design Brian and Danny had co-created, the OB/Dipole Sub. You can check it out on the GR Research site. Danny is a loudspeaker designer, being particularly gifted in Open Baffle and cross-over design. Upon hearing of Brian's Direct Servo Feedback system, he envisioned it incorporated into a sub of OB/Dipole design. I already knew of an OB/Dipole sub that the Finnish company Gradient had offered in the 80's and 90's, designed specifically for use with the Quad 63 loudspeaker. The Rythmik/GR Research OB/Dipole sub is the ultimate incarnation of the OB/Dipole design, and is, imo, THE sub for use with all panel loudspeakers, whether ET, Magneplanar, Quad, and all others. But, like all dipoles, it must be positioned away from the wall behind it, it has limited output (compared with a "normal" sub), and most importantly, sounds rather different than sealed and ported subs. "Leaner" is one adjective used to describe it's sound characteristic. It also "loads" a room differently than a normal sub, having a null at each side of the sub frame, just as all dipole speakers do. True, wavelengths at sub frequencies are so long as to be omni-directional, but that does NOT mean that the dipole radiation/side-null characteristic of the OB/Dipole sub is inconsequential. Unfortunately, it is available as a DIY kit only, the two opposing woofers and amp mounted in an OB frame (detailed building diagrams available on the GR website). Certainly not for everyone, in fact for almost no one, only nutty hardcore dipole loudspeaker fanatics. Too bad most people will never hear them (though attendants of the annual RMAF Hi-Fi Show voted it "Best Bass" many years running). At least you can read about them!

Still, I found myself lusting for that DS1510 driver. Being the gluttonous pig that I am, I bought a pair of the DIY F15HP kits as well, and had a local cabinet maker build my enclosures to mount them in.

3- The OB/Dipole sub can be used up to 300Hz, and I use mine in place of the woofer in the ET speaker, from 180Hz down (the frequency of the ET's 1st order, 6dB/octave x/o). Assuming you go with a normal sub, the x/o controls in the Rythmik amps are there to be used, so try all the settings. Start with 80Hz, then 60, 100, and 40. The higher the frequency chosen, the less you will be asking of the ET's 8" woofer, a good idea. It's a fine woofer, and mates well with the ET's magnetic-planar driver, but it is after all only an 8". A Rythmik sub will provide a drastic improvement to the bass of the ET. Plus, with it in use the ET's should be able to play a little louder, especially if you use a filter (even a simple r/c) to roll off their low end.

4- I have heard the current Maggie 1.7i, .7i, and 3.7, as well as the old Tympani T-I (I owned a pair in the 70's), T-ID (owned a pair in the 90's), and T-IV (I own a pair now). There are similarities and differences between them all, but as you will soon have both ET's and Maggies, you can compare them yourself.

5- My current room (soon to change---I'm moving) is 13' wide (I would love a couple more feet), 19' long, with a 10' ceiling. I have 14 ASC Tube Traps (found in the L.A. Recycler for ten bucks apiece!), RoomTune Corner Tunes, and wall-to-wall carpeting. An only okay room.

6- Being a dipole, the ET must be at least 3' from the wall behind them. Mine are now 6' from that wall, 8' from my listening location, and that location 5' from the rear wall. The outside edge of each ET is 18" from it's side wall (it's dipole radiation and line source characteristics allow close side wall placement), with the tweeters on the inner edge, 8' from each other (I favor the equilateral listener/speaker arrangement).

7- I had my ET dealer order the Sound Anchor stands at the same time as the speakers. When so ordered, ET does not send along the stock feet (weird, huh?). It's okay, though---you definitely want the SA's. But you can get them cheaper from The Cable Company than from ET.

8- Bi-amping: With a x/o frequency of 180Hz, why bother?

9- I like Clear Day Double Shotgun cables with the ET's. Of all silver wire construction (NOT silver coated copper), they are reasonably priced at $500/8' pair (I can hear you Flat-Earther's laughing from here ;-), with a 10% discount. Available ID only, though sometimes offered on Audiogon.

10- Ignore the lowest tweeter setting. The middle position provides the flattest middle-high response, with a gently rolled-off top octave. The high setting gives a flatter top octave, but raises the octave below that a little too much. The best compromise will be influenced by the absorption of your room's surfaces, and the sound of the rest of your system, especially of course your power amp. If the amp is a tube model with a slightly soft high end, try the highest tweeter setting first. If it is a slightly bright/hard solid state amp, the middle might be best. The setting is easy to change, so give them both a try.

11- Yeah, ET's Bruce Thigpen must make each pair himself, one at a time! All good things come to those who wait, as my mama use to say.

I hope the above will be of use and interest to you Greg (from your Forum handle I'm guessing that may be your name :-). For the rest of you, sorry!

Last edited by BDP24; 12-03-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Great post.

My vote for first name is "Vlad"...

The ET bass I remember was... less than optimal. No point in saying more and I have not heard ET's in some time. ML had some major issues integrating their panels with their woofers as well, but have managed to do a much better job lately best I can tell. At least they sound much better.

Just because I like you so much I'll ignore the flat earther comment.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 12-03-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Thank you Don and BDP. This is the kind of input I was looking for. And yes, Don is right, my user name is my actual name (Vlad Grigorian).
Old 12-03-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Great post.

My vote for first name is "Vlad"...

The ET bass I remember was... less than optimal. No point in saying more and I have not heard ET's in some time. ML had some major issues integrating their panels with their woofers as well, but have managed to do a much better job lately best I can tell. At least they sound much better.

Just because I like you so much I'll ignore the flat earther comment.

Heck, I don't consider you a Flat Earther, Don. You own Maggies! Flat Earther's are in denial of evidence that disproves their beliefs, as science does religious dogma (Christians for centuries refused to believe the scientific evidence that the Earth was not the center of the Universe, and not, right, flat). You I consider a scientist, basing your "beliefs" on technical knowledge and empirical evidence. Fine with me!

You're right about the ET's bass---Bruce Thigpen admits it is the speaker's weak point. A Rythmik sub or two cures that! I feel there are very few speakers that WON'T benefit from an excellent sub. The better the loudspeaker, the more worthwhile is adding a good sub.

Last edited by BDP24; 12-03-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
f12g subwoofer , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub