Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 739 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4698Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #22141 of 30679 Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BDP24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,126
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
OT - Damn! I wish I could have been there. Too young. Zappa said Jimi played so loud it's like it wasn't even sound anymore, something more physical.

Yeah, Jimi was loud, but it wasn't just that. Bill Graham was the first concert promoter who had a really good sound system, and he played it loud enough to vibrate your bones! I would go home with my ears ringing like crazy and everything sounding muffled. I'm surprised my tinnitus isn't far worse! His competition was Chet Helms and The Family Dog (a bunch of hippies), who ran The Carousel Ballroom in San Francisco. That's where I saw The Who twice, the "A Quick One" tour in '68, and "Tommy" in '69. Now THERE was a physical band---I could feel Keith's kick drums pounding my chest! He played so hard I don't think he needed to be mic'ed!! And his eyes---he looked possessed. A complete madman.

Last edited by BDP24; 12-14-2015 at 05:59 PM.
BDP24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22142 of 30679 Old 12-14-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 4,130
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
One tip for boosting the sub level like that:
Run all speakers with the same crossover frequency, or else you can end up with different frequency response for different speakers.
Didn't think about that as most folks are just concentrating on the front 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenz View Post
thanks bro. Could u share what was the difference in impression when u used flat vs ref/audyssey? And can u share if your setup in a treated room and living room?

Mine's in a untreated living room, size abt 4300 cubic feet

This is interesting with DynEQ, i shall try this.... =)
My room is a dedicate untreated 2500ft^3 sealed room. I like bright sound without harsh to go with thunder bass and it works with my speakers when using flat. YMMV.
Yeah, try turning Dyneq off and boost extra on bass to see if you like it also. Most of us usually thinks louder is better which is the case with dyneq on.
sevenz likes this.
tvuong is online now  
post #22143 of 30679 Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,221
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Dynamic EQ isn't about just making things louder.

Our hearing does not perceive all frequencies the same. At low volumes, it takes a bass boost and a treble boost to keep music in tonal balance. Only at high volumes does the "curve" flatten out. Dynamic EQ does this automatically based on your volume level, tapering off to zero boost by -0 MV.

Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings)
Denon AVR-X4000
A little R&R: Reaction Audio CX-10 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
And a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv 5s
Soulburner is offline  
 
post #22144 of 30679 Old 12-15-2015, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 4,951
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I have an insane amount of soft boomy bass in the back corner of my HT. Any suggestions for that???
Cain is offline  
post #22145 of 30679 Old 12-15-2015, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Borneo Island
Posts: 2,869
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I have an insane amount of soft boomy bass in the back corner of my HT. Any suggestions for that???
1. Avoid sitting in that corner
2. Sacrifice real estate by installing lots of bass traps
Skylinestar is offline  
post #22146 of 30679 Old 12-15-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 4,951
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
1. Avoid sitting in that corner
2. Sacrifice real estate by installing lots of bass traps
1) Good idea, it is already the worst seat in the house, I usually sit there for a full house.
2) I'm looking at traps... "IT's a TRAP!"
Cain is offline  
post #22147 of 30679 Old 12-15-2015, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Spoke to a Rythmik rep today about their new sub that will be coming out. Apparently won't be released for another few months, will be in the $800 range, with a range of 14-16hz.
butie120 is offline  
post #22148 of 30679 Old 12-15-2015, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 4,951
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Spoke to a Rythmik rep today about their new sub that will be coming out. Apparently won't be released for another few months, will be in the $800 range, with a range of 14-16hz.
Damn, talk about a specialized sub! Usually they reach up to at least 80Hz...
Jacob B, BDP24 and zencarver like this.
Cain is offline  
post #22149 of 30679 Old 12-15-2015, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,125
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Spoke to a Rythmik rep today about their new sub that will be coming out. Apparently won't be released for another few months, will be in the $800 range, with a range of 14-16hz.
The container got delayed but it's gonna be here sooner than what I told you over the phone. I would say no later than end of January. Pictures and specifications will be posted in our website in a few days. Price is $829 shipped and introductory price is $799 shipped. Model name is LVX12.

BTW, we have 2 x LVX12 Black Oak and 2 x LVX12 Black Matte in our warehouse already. I need to ask Brian if those are available for sale already, though



Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |

Last edited by enricoclaudio; 12-15-2015 at 07:32 PM.
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #22150 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,357
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
The container got delayed but it's gonna be here sooner than what I told you over the phone. I would say no later than end of January. Pictures and specifications will be posted in our website in a few days. Price is $829 shipped and introductory price is $799 shipped. Model name is LVX12.

BTW, we have 2 x LVX12 Black Oak and 2 x LVX12 Black Matte in our warehouse already. I need to ask Brian if those are available for sale already, though
You guys should post some pictures here to generate buzz.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
JT78681 is offline  
post #22151 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 07:50 AM
Member
 
bsullivan1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just purchased a Yamaha Aventage RX-1050, Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 for LCR and a Rythmik FV15HP. Looking for someone in the Austin, TX area that can come calibrate everything and get it sounding it's best. Anyone able to help out?
bsullivan1983 is offline  
post #22152 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,357
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
Just purchased a Yamaha Aventage RX-1050, Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 for LCR and a Rythmik FV15HP. Looking for someone in the Austin, TX area that can come calibrate everything and get it sounding it's best. Anyone able to help out?
Can you post any pictures of your room? Do you have any of the gear in place and hooked up already? If so, are you simply trying to dial it in?

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik

Last edited by JT78681; 12-16-2015 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo
JT78681 is offline  
post #22153 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,727
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
Just purchased a Yamaha Aventage RX-1050, Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 for LCR and a Rythmik FV15HP. Looking for someone in the Austin, TX area that can come calibrate everything and get it sounding it's best. Anyone able to help out?
If you are willing to pay I can recommend someone who is a professional.
Bond 007 is online now  
post #22154 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Member
 
bsullivan1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I believe in paying others for their work, but how much are we talking?
bsullivan1983 is offline  
post #22155 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Member
 
bsullivan1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
Just purchased a Yamaha Aventage RX-1050, Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 for LCR and a Rythmik FV15HP. Looking for someone in the Austin, TX area that can come calibrate everything and get it sounding it's best. Anyone able to help out?
Can you post any pictures of your room? Do you have any of the gear in place and hooked up already? If so, are you simply trying to dial it in?
I don't have pictures yet. I can take some. I just ordered everything a couple nights ago. Probably 4-5 days out from receiving everything.
bsullivan1983 is offline  
post #22156 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,727
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan1983 View Post
I believe in paying others for their work, but how much are we talking?
pm sent
Bond 007 is online now  
post #22157 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
I am done tinkering the Minidsp 2x4 made everything bled so well together i don't see how it will get any better . i crossover everything at 80hz in my AVR but in the minidsp i have the sub crossed over at 70hz which made it blend smoothly compared to leaving it uncrossed or at 80hz in the minidsp plugin. funny thing i was reading on the audyssey forum last night on their website and someone said it was just internet talk to crossover the sub early and their was no science behind it.. maybe he was talking specifically about the receiver idk but it workers wonders for me and proved to be true in 5 films where in certain scenes i would totally be able to locate the sub it being 5ft away from me, this is no longer the case with my minidsp settings.



Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Surrounds - Trash
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts Heavy Cinematic | Heavy Electronic|
MrGrey is offline  
post #22158 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Tony~M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

Was watching Iron Man on Blu-ray with my new L22. Movie has crazy amounts of bass. The walls of my theater are stressing out. I put my hand on the rear wall and the dry wall is heaving in and out alarmingly, and I am not even playing the movie that loud. My theater was not built as a theater, just a room that I painted and dedicated as a theater. The walls are not reinforced for this kind of a pounding. I am fearing that the plaster is going to crack, and then my Wife will remove my head!!

Vocals are at 75db, in the fighter scene at the back of my theater the bass when the fighters fire their guns is at 105db, when the missiles explode at 111db. This is way more than I was planning on with a single L22, way more than the room can take. Had to turn it down. Getting the bass around 95db max still rattles the rear wall. Going to have to find a solution to this problem. I almost bought a FVX15, house would have been rubble...lol.

Tomorrow my Umik-1 mic gets here and I can see what the graphs say.

Later,

Tony
MrGrey likes this.

Tony~M is offline  
post #22159 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,293
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~M View Post
Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

Was watching Iron Man on Blu-ray with my new L22. Movie has crazy amounts of bass. The walls of my theater are stressing out. I put my hand on the rear wall and the dry wall is heaving in and out alarmingly, and I am not even playing the movie that loud. My theater was not built as a theater, just a room that I painted and dedicated as a theater. The walls are not reinforced for this kind of a pounding. I am fearing that the plaster is going to crack, and then my Wife will remove my head!!

Vocals are at 75db, in the fighter scene at the back of my theater the bass when the fighters fire their guns is at 105db, when the missiles explode at 111db. This is way more than I was planning on with a single L22, way more than the room can take. Had to turn it down. Getting the bass around 95db max still rattles the rear wall. Going to have to find a solution to this problem. I almost bought a FVX15, house would have been rubble...lol.

Tomorrow my Umik-1 mic gets here and I can see what the graphs say.

Later,

Tony
Could pulling the sub further from the corner or wall by a foot or more help? I find the further from the wall the sub is weakens the intensity somewhat but does also makes the bass cleaner and smoother sounding. You could also adjust the bass extension/damping.
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #22160 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Tony~M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Could pulling the sub further from the corner or wall by a foot or more help? I find the further from the wall the sub is weakens the intensity somewhat but does also makes the bass cleaner and smoother sounding. You could also adjust the bass extension/damping.
Hello Plasma,

Hope you are well.

I will be goofing with placement etc. after Mic gets here. I was thinking bringing the sub near field to reduce the volume which should reduce the unwanted house destruction...lol.

The sound of the sub is very, very nice, not boomy and so stealthy with the bass impact. I mean everything sounds so clean and real with no overhang, then when the action is gone...poof disappears again.

From front to back the room is 25ft. My seating distance is 10ft, so at my listening location it is fantastic...go to the back wall and the standing waves are immense. I did not notice the rear wall was flexing that much from my listening position, until I got up to answer the phone. Tomorrow I will get the ladder out and see what the ceiling is doing. I fear it is also flexing, house is made of cardboard...lol.

I have tried the theater mode and the music mode. I prefer the music mode, the movie mode cuts off too much of the low frequency impact for my liking. Iron Mans footsteps did not seem as deep, gunfire and missile explosions did not have their full impact. I have never heard the bullets from those aircraft sound so clean.

Sub is positioned just to the left of my center channel speaker, out about 1 foot from the screen wall. So, about 1/3 mid wall placement. Sounds really good here for music and movies at the listening position. There is one large bass trap in the left front corner of the room, I have not gotten around to making more. Corner loading the sub was too much, peaks into the 116s. and a bit boomy. I wonder how much of that DB is from the walls moving/vibrating...

Later,

Tony

Tony~M is offline  
post #22161 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,125
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
An Auralex SubDude HT may help with that. I had the same problem with my pair of F12SEs, rattling walls and upstairs neighbors complaints. I put my subwoofers on Auralex SubDude HT and got cero complaints so far. It didn't improve extension nor SQ but at least no more rattling walls.



Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #22162 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Tony~M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
An Auralex SubDude HT may help with that. I had the same problem with my pair of F12SEs, rattling walls and upstairs neighbors complaints. I put my subwoofers on Auralex SubDude HT and got cero complaints so far. It didn't improve extension nor SQ but at least no more rattling walls.
Hello Enrico,

Hope you are well.

I don't believe a SubDude would help in my case. The sub is on carpet over cement slab foundation. Sub vibrating the floor is not going to happen...lol. At least I hope not!!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Later,

Tony

Tony~M is offline  
post #22163 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,125
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~M View Post
Hello Enrico,

Hope you are well.

I don't believe a SubDude would help in my case. The sub is on carpet over cement slab foundation. Sub vibrating the floor is not going to happen...lol. At least I hope not!!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Later,

Tony
Mine are on carpet over a concrete slab foundation as well and it helped a lot.



Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #22164 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 02:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~M View Post
Hello Enrico,

Hope you are well.

I don't believe a SubDude would help in my case. The sub is on carpet over cement slab foundation. Sub vibrating the floor is not going to happen...lol. At least I hope not!!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Later,

Tony
Hi Tony


You better listen to Enrico. SubDude does reduce the vibrations that are transmitted through point of contacts. Concrete is a very good medium to pass vibration. some one suggested the following experiment. Put your ear against the floor on one side of room and have another person walk upto another end and stomp their feet. Try the subdude- worst case you lose some $40. It is expensive for what it does but when it works boy it worth every penny and more. Just make sure you get the right size, there is something called gramma or whatever which is large in size than the standard one.


BTW I have no affinity with sub dude. I just went through all the ways to isolate bass from going into my neighbors town home. Turns out the lady had her head rest against the common wall three floors up and was complaining about me playing "drums" constantly.


Edit: If that does not work, the problem could be resonance frequency. some of the material ( walls, wood etc) may be resonating at a particular frequency, you might have to tune those frequencies out so that the walls wont flex but subdued is a good starting point.

Last edited by rsmt2000; 12-16-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: More information
rsmt2000 is offline  
post #22165 of 30679 Old 12-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Tony~M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post
Hi Tony


You better listen to Enrico. SubDude does reduce the vibrations that are transmitted through point of contacts. Concrete is a very good medium to pass vibration. some one suggested the following experiment. Put your ear against the floor on one side of room and have another person walk upto another end and stomp their feet. Try the subdude- worst case you lose some $40. It is expensive for what it does but when it works boy it worth every penny and more. Just make sure you get the right size, there is something called gramma or whatever which is large in size than the standard one.


BTW I have no affinity with sub dude. I just went through all the ways to isolate bass from going into my neighbors town home. Turns out the lady had her head rest against the common wall three floors up and was complaining about me playing "drums" constantly.


Edit: If that does not work, the problem could be resonance frequency. some of the material ( walls, wood etc) may be resonating at a particular frequency, you might have to tune those frequencies out so that the walls wont flex but subdued is a good starting point.
Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

Mmm...do you think I could make a franken subdude out of some thick fluffy foam and some bubble wrap in a sandwhich? Just to see if isolating the sub from the concrete does anything at all?

Only the rear wall is having this issue, it is a non load bearing wall of drywall covered in stucco. The wall has 24" spacing on the studs, so huge spaces of unsupported drywall. The left wall is an exterior wall with two windows covered in heavy theater curtains, stud spacing is 16" centers. Left wall is covered in brick on the outside, and appears innert. The right wall is a load bearing wall with 16" stud centers and abuts the fireplace and chimney. The screen wall is also a load bearing wall and is also a firewall with the garage on the other side. The screen wall is not flexing. I will get a ladder tomorrow and see if the ceiling is flexing/breathing or not. I will also hopefully be able to fire up REW either tomorrow or Friday, depending on when my Umik-1 gets here. The walls with the 16" stud centers are vibrating but not heaving violently like the rear wall with the 24" stud centers.

I fired up the Darla tap scene from Finding Nemo, wow pretty impressive feels like she is tapping on the roof of the house. I fear that my Wife will come home and find me buried under the rubble of what was my home dead with a stupid grin on my face...lol.

Thanks for the help.

Later,

Tony
rossandwendy likes this.

Tony~M is offline  
post #22166 of 30679 Old 12-17-2015, 12:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
FWIW, my friend borrowed my sub dude to see if it helps with this SVS cylinder sub. All it took him is 5 minutes to verify the rattling cup boards, water pipes stop vibrating like hell in his basement. He also has carpet on a concrete floor.

Yes you can make a cheap version yourself but I guess it's one of those things cheaper to buy than worry about doing it right.
rsmt2000 is offline  
post #22167 of 30679 Old 12-17-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,125
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~M View Post
Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

Mmm...do you think I could make a franken subdude out of some thick fluffy foam and some bubble wrap in a sandwhich? Just to see if isolating the sub from the concrete does anything at all?

Only the rear wall is having this issue, it is a non load bearing wall of drywall covered in stucco. The wall has 24" spacing on the studs, so huge spaces of unsupported drywall. The left wall is an exterior wall with two windows covered in heavy theater curtains, stud spacing is 16" centers. Left wall is covered in brick on the outside, and appears innert. The right wall is a load bearing wall with 16" stud centers and abuts the fireplace and chimney. The screen wall is also a load bearing wall and is also a firewall with the garage on the other side. The screen wall is not flexing. I will get a ladder tomorrow and see if the ceiling is flexing/breathing or not. I will also hopefully be able to fire up REW either tomorrow or Friday, depending on when my Umik-1 gets here. The walls with the 16" stud centers are vibrating but not heaving violently like the rear wall with the 24" stud centers.

I fired up the Darla tap scene from Finding Nemo, wow pretty impressive feels like she is tapping on the roof of the house. I fear that my Wife will come home and find me buried under the rubble of what was my home dead with a stupid grin on my face...lol.

Thanks for the help.

Later,

Tony
Go and get the SubDude from Amazon and if you don't like it you have till end of January to return it back for a full refund.



Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #22168 of 30679 Old 12-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Tony~M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Go and get the SubDude from Amazon and if you don't like it you have till end of January to return it back for a full refund.
Great idea. Although not going to happen this close to Christmas. Need money for other things. Wife has vetoed any more HT items for now. Just spent $95 on a Umik 1 mic. Have to space out the purchases to avoid issues...

Later,

Tony

Tony~M is offline  
post #22169 of 30679 Old 12-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Tony~M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post
FWIW, my friend borrowed my sub dude to see if it helps with this SVS cylinder sub. All it took him is 5 minutes to verify the rattling cup boards, water pipes stop vibrating like hell in his basement. He also has carpet on a concrete floor.

Yes you can make a cheap version yourself but I guess it's one of those things cheaper to buy than worry about doing it right.
Hello,

Hope you are well.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the SubDude.

Indeed if isolating the sub from the concrete slab works, I would buy the real thing. I doubt my Wife would appreciate my version for very long . Going to have to wait until after the holidays, just too much money going out right now. Afterall, we just bought a pretty expensive sub plus all the other expenditures on the kids this time of year, and a Umik-1. Wife has vetoed any further HT purchases for now.

One problem I may encounter with the SubDude is the extra height. The sub will not be able to be placed under my screen wall if it is sitting on a subdude, it would be too high.

I am hoping near field placement will mitigate the rear wall issue, without any more cost expenditures.

Later,

Tony

Tony~M is offline  
post #22170 of 30679 Old 12-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Senior Member
 
turbojohngt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I use one for my Rythmik sitting out back of my theater room and find it to work quite well. It does cut down the rattles a fair bit but not completely with a sub of this magnitude.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	1126530  
turbojohngt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , integra dtc 9.8 , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off