Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 760 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1259Likes
post #22771 of 22775 Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post
I will do a verbal update here. I am testing the enclosure of F25. The tuning frequency turns out to be about 17% higher than that of FV15HP 1 port mode. So I need to increase the enclosure height and port length by about 12%. My goal is to get the tuning frequency to within 5% of FV15HP 1 port. It is a bit tougher because FV25 uses 3 ports. Next I will test the enclosure of FV18 which uses 2 port.
Exciting news! Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing these come to fruition.

Regards,

RTROSE
turbojohngt likes this.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22772 of 22775 Old Today, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a very general sub/main integration question for the forum...

Is it best when integrating the sub and mains to
1) align the timing perfectly OR
2) is it best to tailor the timing to smooth the frequency response?

For example, let's say that there is overlap from forty to eighty hz, and that perfect time alignment creates a peak at 60 but is smooth everywhere else. However by delaying the sub I can smooth out the peak. Is it advisable to intentionally misalign the timing to improve the freq response?

The reason I ask is because it seems apparent that the benefit of multiple subs is to specifically to create the situation where peaks and valleys hit at different times thus smoothing out. But is this also true at higher bass frequencies? When does it get objectionable? Is smoother freq response always the goal or is time alignment important too? When they conflict which is most important?

Seems like something important for us to all know. All input is welcome!
post #22773 of 22775 Old Today, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a very general sub/main integration question for the forum...

Is it best when integrating the sub and mains to
1) align the timing perfectly OR
2) is it best to tailor the timing to smooth the frequency response?

For example, let's say that there is overlap from forty to eighty hz, and that perfect time alignment creates a peak at 60 but is smooth everywhere else. However by delaying the sub I can smooth out the peak. Is it advisable to intentionally misalign the timing to improve the freq response?

The reason I ask is because it seems apparent that the benefit of multiple subs is to specifically to create the situation where peaks and valleys hit at different times thus smoothing out. But is this also true at higher bass frequencies? When does it get objectionable? Is smoother freq response always the goal or is time alignment important too? When they conflict which is most important?

Seems like something important for us to all know. All input is welcome!
post #22774 of 22775 Old Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 820
If timing is aligned properly then frequency response should follow and vice-versa. Fourier tells us they are the same signal whether expressed in the time or frequency domain. I am not sure how you are determining "perfect time alignment". Time delay and phase shift in the system make it (highly) likely that different phase shifts will be required at different frequencies to account for things like crossovers, physical distance, interaction with the room, etc.

The quick answer is that I would adjust for best frequency response since we hear changes in frequency response more readily than transient time events. Our ears, and brain, integrate the signals. That said, I always check impulse responses, and even with just frequency response you want to make sure you aren't wasting a bunch of power trying to feed a null.

Note time alignment also changes the relative phase, all of which impacts those peaks and valleys you hear and measure.
enricoclaudio likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #22775 of 22775 Unread Today, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 79
pics or it did not happen

... with the F12 beside the two behemoths for size comparison Pleaaaasssseeeeeeee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post
I will do a verbal update here. I am testing the enclosure of F25. The tuning frequency turns out to be about 17% higher than that of FV15HP 1 port mode. So I need to increase the enclosure height and port length by about 12%. My goal is to get the tuning frequency to within 5% of FV15HP 1 port. It is a bit tougher because FV25 uses 3 ports. Next I will test the enclosure of FV18 which uses 2 port.
turbojohngt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub