AVS Forum banner
5M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  TurboGuard 
#1 ·
 http://www.rythmikaudio.com/index.html

There never seems to be an 'Official' Rythmik thread so....

Hopefully members can post here and representatives from Rythmik (Brian) can more readily answer questions that are normally strewn about in many threads.

Rythmik now offers complete subwoofers as well as the traditional kits.

Maybe Brian will subscribe.

See less See more
#15,201 ·
Hey Guys, It's Bandit. I have been a member since 2007, but just started posting last month. These threads are GREAT, but with 500 pages, how in the hell do you follow along? I guess the latest posts get the attention, and you just go back through to learn from other peoples comments and questions.

I have a 20 x 17 media room I did back in late 2007. Painted the whole thing with 3 coats:eek:, built my projector screen (approx. 10' x 6'), in wall 7.1 Polk Audio RC 85i speakers, ceiling mounted Mitsubishi HC1500HC, Chairs, etc etc.

Also, I just added a Samsung 3d 65" TV above my fireplace in my livingroom, added a Denon AVR-X2000 AVR, and Emp Tek Bookshelves, center, surrounds, and will add a sub next, maybe a PSA XV30?

Back to Media Room now. OK, so I decided after 6-7 years I needed to upgrade so the gear matches the looks of the room. I think the room looks great (If I do say so myself:rolleyes:), but the gear wasn't teh best, but I enjoyed the heck out of it anyway. My sub was so bad, that I never even turned it ON!!!!
That alone might get me booted off this thread. Don't worry, I'm getting to the SUB part soon:)

SO, I upgraded the FRONT 3 Speakers as in-wall ain't cutting it and again, using 7 speakers for ALL Speakers, even my Center Channel. In a nut shell here is what I got. I was also diagnoised as having "ACB" Syndrome since I was maybe 6 or 7 years old, maybe earlier. I deal with it day to day and just do the best I can.

For those of you unfamiliar with "ACB", it is a personality disorder and stands for "A Cheap Bastard".................... I try to get good deals whenever i can or I don't buy. I was planning on dropping a few grand. I ain't that rich. Next thing i know, including the TV in Living Room, etc. I think I am up to over $11,000:eek: I never spent that much on anything, except a car before. However, I will use this for the next 10 years, so cost benefit justifies my purchase. Of course, I didn't tell my wife anything, she thinks I spent a few grand I bet. if she knew, I'd get a whoopin.

Let's get to it, shall we?

Front Three speakers:

Emp Tek Towers (Go on each side of screen)

Emp Tek Large Center Channel (Will go below screen in middle)

* Got half of these "B-Stock' and I can't find anything wrong with them.Dirt Cheap!

Receiver I Purcahsed:

Denon AVR-X4000 (Bought 2 AVR-X2000's for $399 EACH, brand NEW!!! Got 2 open boxes from One Call, and they ran out, so sent me brand new units. I AM eeping one for living Room, BUT, after talking to Rythmik, they suggested it was WELL WORTH the upgrade to the AVR-X4000, so I snagged one on Ebay for $970.

1080P 3D Projector:

Epson 6030 UB 3D 1080P Projector

onto the GOOD Stuff!!! My Sub Woofer:

I got 2 Rythmik FV15HP Piano Black Subs.
:D:D:eek:

I got super lucky, called and they JUST happen to have 2 Piano Black Subs "B-Stock" (Again with my "ACB" Disease) that just popped up! I jumped on these quick. I asked if they were returns? I didn't want some Sub Monkey jacking them all up and then I get them:rolleyes:. Then he said something to me that made me Cry. he said, "They aren't even Built Yet"!!!! Awersome!!!

So long story short, I am getting 2 of these bad boys and they should go out by Friday they told me. I am in Texas, so I have Tax, btu anyway, I am very happy with my purchase and have NO IDEA what to expect. Remeber I had basically NO SUB! Now I am going to have 2 of these heavy a@# Monsters. I PLAN to put them in the front in each corner of the room, thats where power is located.

So my Front Room would be: Left SUB, Tower, Projector Screen, Center in middle below, Tower, Right Sub. I have learned from all you smart guys, sub placment is key, but I sure hope that works as it will look the best. Someone told me not to mess up my clean looking theatre with all these speakers in the front, but I think it will be worth it and it might actually look Cool!

OK

Take it Easy Guys,

The Bandit....................................................

P.S. Any suggestions, Comments, Criticisms, etc. welcome and APPRECIATED!!!
:D:D

Living Room (Just because:)

#15,202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681  /t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/15180#post_24638749

Do you think the FV15HP is worth the extra money over the XS30? Just curious!

I do. That is why I bought an FV15HP, but the costs associated with selling two XS30s in my mind do not justify the upgrade. Not a big enough step.

People get caught up in $/performance. Subs are not all dB races. We are lucky to have such great choices. PSA, Rythmik, SVS have all made descisions based on their own weighting factors. All are great choices.

Rythmik was my choice and I have never looked back

#15,203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoupebandit  /t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/15210#post_24638807

So my Front Room would be: Left SUB, Tower, Projector Screen, Center in middle below, Tower, Right Sub. I have learned from all you smart guys, sub placment is key, but I sure hope that works as it will look the best. Someone told me not to mess up my clean looking theatre with all these speakers in the front, but I think it will be worth it and it might actually look Cool!

Begin rant:

Isn't there a great deal of irony in the statement, "Don't mess up your clean looking theater with 'all those speakers?'" Like, I can't be bothered with speakers in a theater! In a multiuse space I can perhaps understand, but I don't get people who insist on speakers being hidden in a dedicated theater room. I want my theater room to perform as well as it possibly can, and in-ceiling or in-wall speakers are rarely if ever compatible with high performance. It's a theater, so I don't much care what it looks like when the lights are up. I care about how things look and sound when the lights are off and the movie or music is playing. And yes, I like the look of free-standing speakers in a theater.

End rant.

Good looking room, and I suspect you'll be taken aback by the difference a good set of subs will make in your theater experience.

#15,204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg  /t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/15180#post_24638184

Quick question:

Dual Psa xs30's ( that I have in my 17x13 HT) vs single fv15hp (with a second down the road)

Just curious what the thoughts are. I have always been intrigued by the rythmic offering
Uh-oh someone has the upgrade bug.
  Brian as you know I also have the XS30.  The only other sub I would have considered other than this one would have been the FV15HP.  For me, I already bumped my sub budget up A LOT in going to the XS30, so increasing it again for the FV15 was just not an option.

Having said that, here are my two cents for you:  Your dual XS30's i believe will have the same low bass output (16-30) as a single FV15.  Above that of course you will have more than double the output.  So going to one FV15 would overall be a downgrade.  But if you end up with two(you will), you will get around double the output 16-30, a few dB less 40-80.

Having said that, if you are going to change anything, skip the FV15, and get dual F25's(one now one later).  According to Rythmik, they are within 1 dB of the FV15 at 20 Hz, and with dual drivers, they should have much higher output above 30 Hz.  This would be an across the board large increase over the dual XS30's.

I am planning on sticking with my sub and adding another sealed to complement it someday.  Had I splurged on the Rythmik it probably would have been a FV15 or the F25......dare to be different Brian be one of the first AVS members with dual F25's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: derrickdj1
#15,208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10  /t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/15210#post_24639320

Begin rant:

Isn't there a great deal of irony in the statement, "Don't mess up your clean looking theater with 'all those speakers?'" Like, I can't be bothered with speakers in a theater! In a multiuse space I can perhaps understand, but I don't get people who insist on speakers being hidden in a dedicated theater room. I want my theater room to perform as well as it possibly can, and in-ceiling or in-wall speakers are rarely if ever compatible with high performance. It's a theater, so I don't much care what it looks like when the lights are up. I care about how things look and sound when the lights are off and the movie or music is playing. And yes, I like the look of free-standing speakers in a theater.

End rant.

Good looking room, and I suspect you'll be taken aback by the difference a good set of subs will make in your theater experience.

LOL:) I hear ya Man about it being a Media Room. I am not the one that said this, several people posted on my posts that I had a nice clean room and now I am going to have all these speakers standing in the front. I think it will look cool and I KNOW it is going to sound good.

I heard someone talking about the PSA XV15 above. That is what I plan to get for my Living Room, but i am broke now after I went Ape Ass Crazy (Never said, "Ape Ass Crazy" before:rolleyes:).

I am excited about my Rythmiks coming:eek:
Today at work Fed Ex and UPS visted me. I got my Oppo 103D (never heard of a damn Oppo until last week and NEVER would have conceived spending $599 for a Blu Ray Player),my Denon AVR-X4000, and 4 Aura butt kickers. I am likley returning Auras as ordered the Clark TST209 to replace these, but they had already shipped.

I obviously got my subs sent to my HOUSE! I am not being funny here, but how in the hell am I going to get them upstairs? My 2 buds that live close have back issues. 130 lbs. is heavy? Is that too heavy to get up the stairs? Once upstairs, then I'll trown them on a furniture mover and slide them along the carpet. Also, I heard they come on a Pallet??????

I hope Fed Ex or UPS, or whomever they use can bring the Dolly inside my front door and just drop them inside the house? I'll put some blankets down or something. Or I guess I can just have the pallets on the front lawn, near my door and get help to get them inside the door. Maybe they are not as big as I am thinking they are. I can't picture how heavy 130 lbs. is for a SUB? I am assuming it is heavier than I can easily move around:rolleyes:

#15,210 ·
It's like Christmas in April

Ugh, sorry for the orientation of the picture. One of the programs won't let me rotate the picture, the other lets me but it still shows up sideways.

#15,211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac  /t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/15210#post_24638823

People get caught up in $/performance. Subs are not all dB races.

Rythmik was my choice and I have never looked back
Sound quality is one of the reason I ended up with Rythmik and I got that plus good output with a single FV15hp and now great output with dual. It definitely sounds cleaner than my last HSU sub.

#15,212 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjd2000  /t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/15210#post_24639600

I just ordered a calibrated UMIK-1 from Cross Spectrum. I can't wait to see how the E15 measures in my space with and without the Empire.

Please post some charts.

#15,213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter  /t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/15210#post_24640522

Please post some charts.

I have a hard time taking you seriously with that avatar.... Lol I just can't get past it. Bill and teds excellent adventure?

#15,215 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoupebandit  /t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/15210#post_24639996

LOL:) I hear ya Man about it being a Media Room. I am not the one that said this, several people posted on my posts that I had a nice clean room and now I am going to have all these speakers standing in the front. I think it will look cool and I KNOW it is going to sound good.

I heard someone talking about the PSA XV15 above. That is what I plan to get for my Living Room, but i am broke now after I went Ape Ass Crazy (Never said, "Ape Ass Crazy" before:rolleyes:).

I am excited about my Rythmiks coming:eek:
Today at work Fed Ex and UPS visted me. I got my Oppo 103D (never heard of a damn Oppo until last week and NEVER would have conceived spending $599 for a Blu Ray Player),my Denon AVR-X4000, and 4 Aura butt kickers. I am likley returning Auras as ordered the Clark TST209 to replace these, but they had already shipped.

I obviously got my subs sent to my HOUSE! I am not being funny here, but how in the hell am I going to get them upstairs? My 2 buds that live close have back issues. 130 lbs. is heavy? Is that too heavy to get up the stairs? Once upstairs, then I'll trown them on a furniture mover and slide them along the carpet. Also, I heard they come on a Pallet??????

I hope Fed Ex or UPS, or whomever they use can bring the Dolly inside my front door and just drop them inside the house? I'll put some blankets down or something. Or I guess I can just have the pallets on the front lawn, near my door and get help to get them inside the door. Maybe they are not as big as I am thinking they are. I can't picture how heavy 130 lbs. is for a SUB? I am assuming it is heavier than I can easily move around:rolleyes:

It can be handled by one person but it's very hard as the box is very large and weighs a ton. I could barely get it out of my truck and into my house alone. I turned hulk status as I was overcome by the need to get it in and hooked up ASAP to satisfy my curiosity immediately.

#15,216 ·
I did some basic measurements of my LV12R with a Radio Shack SPL meter.

The Sine wave tests were 6 seconds each

MLP is about 9' away from sub

Sub is kind of corner loaded(15" off side wall, 7 inches off front wall)

AVR is Pioneer 1222k

Listening level was -10db(where I listen to most movies)

Sub was boosted +3db in the Standing Wave Trim and 2db in the Channel Level.

12.5hz = 51

16 = 75db

20 = 87db

22 = 90db

24 = 91

26 = 91

28 = 92

30 = 93

40 = 90

50 = 93

I started noticing some port noise or distortion at 20hz around -9 volume, 0.0 volume is where I started noticing distortion at 30hz.

At -2 volume 30hz registered at 103db.

This was somewhat disappointing in that I expected better output at 20hz and the ability to play it at higher volumes without any unwelcome noise. Now I know i'm not using a professional mic and software, but still. The sub is VERY impressive around 30hz though. Could the sample rate at which I downloaded the sine waves from affect anything they were defaulted at 44.1khz with -3dbfs.

If I were to graph these numbers out, would they be Basic Response or Max Output?

#15,219 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoupebandit  /t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/15210#post_24638807

I have a 20 x 17 media room I did back in late 2007.

Denon AVR-X4000 (Bought 2 AVR-X2000's for $399 EACH, brand NEW!!! Got 2 open boxes from One Call, and they ran out, so sent me brand new units. I AM eeping one for living Room, BUT, after talking to Rythmik, they suggested it was WELL WORTH the upgrade to the AVR-X4000, so I snagged one on Ebay for $970.

onto the GOOD Stuff!!! My Sub Woofer:

.. I PLAN to put them in the front in each corner of the room, thats where power is located.

Hi bandit,

The Denon AVR X-4000 has Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 with subEQ HT room equalization algorithm. This is the reason for going from the X2000 to X4000 as it allows for level and distance set-up for two independent subs, then combined to give you the in-room response. The trick is the correct placement of your two FV15HP-SE Rythmik subs in the first place to give the smoothest bass response. Please note that it may not be at the front where you plan to put the subs.

You can model several placements using REW (it's free from home theater shack) here: http://www.roomeqwizard.com/ Once installed, click on the icon that called Room Sim. You would need to enter your room dimensions and decide where the Main Listening Position (MLP) is going to be. Then play around with sub placement and up to four subs can be simulated. The room sim will give you some ideas on where to start plus a few optional locations.

Once you've got familiar with REW, you can carry out bass frequency measurements (15Hz to 300Hz) at the MLP and other seats with your current subs. You can then compare with the new Rythmiks and the response should show a noticeable improvement. Again you're targeting to achieve smooth bass and minimize seat to seat variance.

Edit:

Bandit, it's generally a good idea to have your set-up in a new thread in the general home theater media game rooms forum here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/15/general-home-theater-media-game-rooms . This way, you'll get direct answers regarding your set-up from other AVS members and not clutter the Rythmik thread.

#15,220 ·
^mijotter,

Since you've got an SPL meter, why not get a USB mic and download REW to carry out the low frequency bass measurements? REW has the signals built into the software.

There is an easy step-by-step guide written by Jerry Austin and fellow AVS members here (it's in post 275 in the simplified REW thread): http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs/270#post_22823228

It takes some effort to get familiar with REW, but the rewards are worthwhile. If you want some help, go with PM to avoid cluttering the Rythmik thread or start another thread with your current set-up here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/15/general-home-theater-media-game-rooms