Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 793 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2547Likes

Old 06-02-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
So I just read something interesting on the Rythmik website regarding the LVX12. It suggests that "For highest SPL HT playback output, users should select 2P mode with both ports opened. While the extension is only limited to 20hz, the power of the amplifier is better utilized for audible frequency band instead of less audible sub-sonic band." So, if you want the best HT playback for output you need both ports opened which limits you to 20hz, 1hz higher than the LV12R. So, if someone were to use two ports open, I wonder then how much of a difference you would detect between the LV12R and LVX12. I understand one port open the LVX12 would dig lower, but it sounds like you also lose some output, just not sure how much.
Most use 1 port mode on their (multi-tune ported) subs here (like FV15HP and FVX15... not many have LVX12 yet). I think 2 port mode is just if you really crank it and want max output 20Hz and up (at the expense of losing anything below that if content below 20Hz is present in the source).

What MV do you listen at and how big/open is the room?

Also, I agree with Bond... you're really overthinking this. If you're the kind of person who would wonder what if they'd gone the the LVX12 instead of the LV12R, get the LVX12 and future proof your purchase. If you're the kind of person who would be happier not spending any more than they absolutely need to and the value (price to performance ratio) would make you feel better about the purchase, get the LV12R.

The LV12R and LVX12 are not dramatically different models... they are both 12" ported Rythmik subs with at least 20Hz extension and highly similar max output at 20Hz. It's not like comparing the LV12R to the FV15HP. So, if you want the best 12" ported Rythmik, the LVX12 is the one and if you want something quite close but $230 cheaper the LV12R is the one.
Madmax67 likes this.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Samsung UN46EH6030; Yamaha HTR-3066, SVS Prime Bookshelf Mains and Prime Center, Sony Core Bookshelf (SS-CS5) Side Surrounds, Rythmik LV12R; PS4, Xbox One, Motorola RNG150N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
If you have the money for the LVX12 then don't look back and go for it. This is an Amazing subwoofer for the price. During the weekend I spent sometime listening to it and that thing is so clean and accurate that it's really hard even for me and Brian to hear any difference between the LVX12 and the L22. Of course when movies come into play the LVX12 excels!! I have that beast set up in my bedroom (13" x 12") and the volume is only at 10 o'clock. It's so good that I had to change the speakers and the receiver. I had a Denon DM39-S Mini System with subwoofer out but the subwoofer was so overkill that I ran to Best Buy and got a pair of B&W 686 S2 speakers. They work much better now but then I needed a bit more power so I just ordered today a Marantz NR1606 that is on sale for $499. If you want to look at it, check the unboxing pictures I posted during the weekend in our Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/rythmikaudi...87150231514320
This is interesting. You mentioned that the LVX12 is superior for movies vs. L22. Considering both have same max output at 20Hz and similar subsonic extension, from a subjective, SQ point of view how does the LVX12 sound better with movies? Just curious as it was also something I was wondering about the L12 vs. LV12R back when I was researching those models. Of course, the 2nd 12" driver does help the L22 keep up with the LVX12 in specs.
Madmax67 likes this.

Samsung UN46EH6030; Yamaha HTR-3066, SVS Prime Bookshelf Mains and Prime Center, Sony Core Bookshelf (SS-CS5) Side Surrounds, Rythmik LV12R; PS4, Xbox One, Motorola RNG150N
Old 06-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Details.
Youve been asking about the LV12r since November and the LVX12 since January. And you still say you wont be buying for 6-9 more months. Detailed answers have already been provided to you and they wont change.
If you can afford the LVX12 (and Im sure you can) get it. If youre afraid to spend money get the LV12R.
Oh I know, Bond. But I think I now got what I need. When I think how cheap I was able to buy my other equipment and reading information, it would seem foolish to not pay the extra $230 at this time in my life. Will post impressions once this thing happens!
PlasmaPZ80U and Madmax67 like this.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
This is interesting. You mentioned that the LVX12 is superior for movies vs. L22. Considering both have same max output at 20Hz and similar subsonic extension, from a subjective, SQ point of view how does the LVX12 sound better with movies? Just curious as it was also something I was wondering about the L12 vs. LV12R back when I was researching those models. Of course, the 2nd 12" driver does help the L22 keep up with the LVX12 in specs.
The LVX12 has a bit more of a full body sound because its response is more flat compared with the L22.
Madmax67 likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Polk LSiM705s, LSiM706C, LSiM703s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Duet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
The LVX12 has a bit more of a full body sound because its response is more flat compared with the L22.
yeah, that makes sense... when both subs are in the low/1p music mode, does that difference disappear?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Most use 1 port mode on their (multi-tune ported) subs here (like FV15HP and FVX15... not many have LVX12 yet). I think 2 port mode is just if you really crank it and want max output 20Hz and up (at the expense of losing anything below that if content below 20Hz is present in the source).

Also, I agree with Bond... you're really overthinking this. If you're the kind of person who would wonder what if they'd gone the the LVX12 instead of the LV12R, get the LVX12 and future proof your purchase. If you're the kind of person who would be happier not spending any more than they absolutely need to and the value (price to performance ratio) would make you feel better about the purchase, get the LV12R.

The LV12R and LVX12 are not dramatically different models... they are both 12" ported Rythmik subs with at least 20Hz extension and highly similar max output at 20Hz. It's not like comparing the LV12R to the FV15HP. So, if you want the best 12" ported Rythmik, the LVX12 is the one and if you want something quite close but $230 cheaper the LV12R is the one.
Ok, that makes sense. What is "MV?" My room is about 21x12 with 7 foot ceilings. When I tried out the PB2000 it completely blew away my Bic F12. Not even comparable in the slightest. So refreshing and fun to see what content I was missing.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
one of the reasons I do not like Max Output figures. I know why companies do this but you need so much more to know how a sub will perform.

Both of the below subs have the same Max output at 20Hz but they have different curves. One will work better for someone depending on there setup and requirements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20hz2.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1473097   Click image for larger version

Name:	20hz1.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1473105  
Madmax67 likes this.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 1668
Quote:
Ok, that makes sense. What is "MV?" My room is about 21x12 with 7 foot ceilings. When I tried out the PB2000 it completely blew away my Bic F12. Not even comparable in the slightest. So refreshing and fun to see what content I was missing.
Master Volume. At what volume on your receiver do you ordinarily listen? Whats the max you ever listen?
Old 06-02-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post
Very interesting. It seems much of what I've seen when googling bass traps are the OC's in the corners cut as triangles to fill from the ground to the ceiling. Looks like I need to do a little more digging and look into what you pointed out regarding the ASC design. Many thanks!

I know this is going to be hard to believe, but to significantly affect a 45Hz mode (45Hz is 25 feet long!), OC 703 would have to be six feet thick. Six Feet! For a great discussion of bass traps, and a report on a new, active one, see the review of the PSI Audio AVAA C20 Electronic Bass Trap in this month's (June) issue of Stereophile. It is, unfortunately, priced at $1999.
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by BDP24; 06-02-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Master Volume. At what volume on your receiver do you ordinarily listen? Whats the max you ever listen?
That's what I thought it was. I have a Denon 2112CI, and I changed it to absolute rather than relative (or is it the other way around?), so it goes from 1-99, rather than reading in DB. For movies I usually sit around the 63-65 mark on my reciever. For music, which isn't nearly as common, and pending on the type, will be anywhere from 45-55. I have the Pioneer BS 22s for fronts and Pioneer SP-C22 for center which are a little on the low side for sensitivity, so not sure how much that plays into it. I can't say except on a few occasions to bump some hard hitting rap/rnb, I would go over 70. For movies, I can't say I've gone beyond 65. My wife says, "Does it have to be so loud?" I say, "Yes." Obviously I have a fair amount of room to play with, but wondering how these numbers compare to "how loud I listen."
Madmax67 likes this.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:
That's what I thought it was. I have a Denon 2112CI, and I changed it to absolute rather than relative (or is it the other way around?), so it goes from 1-99, rather than reading in DB. For movies I usually sit around the 63-65 mark on my reciever. For music, which isn't nearly as common, and pending on the type, will be anywhere from 45-55. I have the Pioneer BS 22s for fronts and Pioneer SP-C22 for center which are a little on the low side for sensitivity, so not sure how much that plays into it. I can't say except on a few occasions to bump some hard hitting rap/rnb, I would go over 70. For movies, I can't say I've gone beyond 65. My wife says, "Does it have to be so loud?" I say, "Yes." Obviously I have a fair amount of room to play with, but wondering how these numbers compare to "how loud I listen."
Quote:
Quote:

Based on the info you provided, if you don't plan on adding a 2nd sub in the future, the LVX12 would be the safer choice as you won't be asking yourself what if. If you do think you might want a 2nd sub, then the price difference would be $230x2.

And yes, any of these subs should blow the Bic F12 away, since that is a very basic model that taps out around 35Hz if I recall correctly. By that, I mean it doesn't even play a 30Hz or 25Hz note or lower at all. The Dayton SUB-1200 I used to have had some output down to 25Hz, though strong bass only to 32Hz (-3dB point) or so.
Madmax67 likes this.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Quote:
one of the reasons I do not like Max Output figures. I know why companies do this but you need so much more to know how a sub will perform.

Both of the below subs have the same Max output at 20Hz but they have different curves. One will work better for someone depending on there setup and requirements.
Yeah, I agree... but at the moment I only had specs to go by.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Yeah, I say LVX12 as well. You've got almost 1800 cu. ft. of space (sealed /open?) Also you like listening at higher levels. Plus your starting from scratch in regards to a Rythmik and you've also had and listened to the SVS PB-2000. Better to get the bigger enclosure and bit higher specs for the extra $230. JMHO.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
Quote:
There has been some fairly rigorous testing lately by some forum members showing that around tune, ported subs are more tactile than sealed subs at the exact same SPL. Around double according to measurements. And as Enrico stated, add to this the fact that in reality, with the extra efficiency around tune, you are likely to get more SPL at the same MV with a ported sub compared to a sealed sub unless you have applied some substantial eq boost down low to the sealed sub.

I'm not proclaiming any superiority of ported vs sealed...I personally own dual sealed subs in my main setup.
dominguez1 and Madmax67 like this.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Am I correct in thinking tactile means feeling the bass physically in your body, not just hearing it? I have long felt that the first and biggest difference between live and Memorex is that when experienced live, music is a full body experience, while when reproduced at home it is mostly just heard. Maybe I need to go ported!
Old 06-03-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP24 View Post
Maybe I need to go ported!

Didn't really want that image in my head... Hopefully you meant your subs.

Ported subs "unload" the driver around the port frequency. It is essentially a resonant peak and just below the driver "flaps" wildly. There can be a significant peaking in the FR. I would guess Rythmik and other servo subs have less of that as the feedback controls the excursion so you don't get all that flapping in the wind. That is one of the main reasons I first implemented a servo myself decades ago and why I tend to prefer them now (ported or not; and I mean the subs ).
BDP24 likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 06-03-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I read through the thread at databass about the tactile feedback of ported vs. sealed and the discussion there did introduce a little doubt in my mind about the effect being directly attributable to ported rather than just having the sub placed in the very near field.

Life is Lambertian
Old 06-03-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
I read through the thread at databass about the tactile feedback of ported vs. sealed and the discussion there did introduce a little doubt in my mind about the effect being directly attributable to ported rather than just having the sub placed in the very near field.

A big part of the physicality of live music is the insane SPL at Pop music (Rock, Blues, Country) shows. Those sound reinforcement systems, with their multiple subwoofers, horns, and dozens of power amps, shake the whole building. I started wearing molded ear plugs with attenuators years ago (though not soon enough; I have a fair case of tinnitus), and it's still loud!
Old 06-03-2016, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I say LVX12 as well. You've got almost 1800 cu. ft. of space (sealed /open?) Also you like listening at higher levels. Plus your starting from scratch in regards to a Rythmik and you've also had and listened to the SVS PB-2000. Better to get the bigger enclosure and bit higher specs for the extra $230. JMHO.

Yeah, I don't think most here think after spending a bit more, 'I wish I had saved some money and bought something a bit less capable'. It's usually the other way around.

Which is why when I finally upgrade my AVR, I'm going to spend a bit more than I need to, something around $1K MSRP. I could get by with around $650-$750 but I don't plan on getting another AVR after that until it gets obsolete.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Yeah, I don't think most here think after spending a bit more, 'I wish I had saved some money and bought something a bit less capable'. It's usually the other way around.

Which is why when I finally upgrade my AVR, I'm going to spend a bit more than I need to, something around $1K MSRP. I could get by with around $650-$750 but I don't plan on getting another AVR after that until it gets obsolete.
Yep. I agree. This model sub really wasn't on my radar when I was researching plus it's bigger than I can fit in my space by just a bit so I'm happy with my decision but everyone is different.

I'm in the receiver upgrading mode as well. Mine is pretty old and I will be applying the same philosophy you just described. I keep them 10 plus years at least unless they crap out on me.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 138
"so you don't get all that flapping in the wind."

So is it good news or bad that my port is the source of my wind flapping?

I came down to a PSA S1500 or the LVX12. Budget, usage and space or ergonomics, quality and sound.

I had a ported SVS, old NSD. I witnessed and heard the flapping of its driver due to being ported. It could get out of control in an almost amazing fashion. It really could dance if cranked too loud. Especially as it got older and the suspension was wearing out changing the properties of the driver.

I had a tough time because I was not confident with the ported and how much control the servo actually provides. My receiver equalizes the sub so as long as the sub can produce certain frequencies if I had to boost some a bit I have that option. So it wasn't just a matter of with a reference signal what did its freq curve look like. It was a matter of "Is it able to produce even if it needs a little help?" And the PSA S1500 can so to avoid possible issues with the ported design, not having experience with the servo based SW, I went with the sealed.

Sealed vs. ported is a tough call and I appreciate folks wrestling with the same decision.

If I could have demonstrated both side by side who knows? I might have been convinced the servo addresses the issue and might be enjoying the different oomph ported provides. I'm not in anyway disappointed in my sealed 15 inch though.

I've not read anything regarding life expectancy of the driver for sealed vs. ported. From experience the SVS PB12-NSD got tired at about 4 years of usage. I would speculate given sealed is using air pressure to help with the driver suspension they'd last longer. When I'm spending around a grand I can assure you my wife expects it to last awhile.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 06-04-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
"so you don't get all that flapping in the wind."

So is it good news or bad that my port is the source of my wind flapping?
It depends on the "port" doing the flapping...

Old 06-04-2016, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 138
If I have more than one port flapping determining which one is will be the last of my worries.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Old 06-04-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
There has been some fairly rigorous testing lately by some forum members showing that around tune, ported subs are more tactile than sealed subs at the exact same SPL. Around double according to measurements. And as Enrico stated, add to this the fact that in reality, with the extra efficiency around tune, you are likely to get more SPL at the same MV with a ported sub compared to a sealed sub unless you have applied some substantial eq boost down low to the sealed sub.

I'm not proclaiming any superiority of ported vs sealed...I personally own dual sealed subs in my main setup.
Quote:
Here is a good summary of what we've found so far WRT ported vs sealed and Tactile Response:

Nearfield Ported MBM for Increased Mid-Bass Tactile Response
12B4A likes this.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Here is a good summary of what we've found so far WRT ported vs sealed and Tactile Response:

Nice. That seems to isolate it down to particle velocity as the cause.

Life is Lambertian
Old 06-04-2016, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:

Nice. That seems to isolate it down to particle velocity as the cause.
When both sealed and ported subs are eq-d flat across their operating range, does the difference still exist?

For example, when I engage high damping on my ported sub, will I lose some tactile response due to the leaner low end?

Also, if the sub is used farfield/at moderate listening levels, does the difference in tactile response still exist?
Old 06-04-2016, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When both sealed and ported subs are eq-d flat across their operating range, does the difference still exist?
Yes, this was how many of the tests were conducted. SPL level is the same, but still a difference in TR.

Quote:
For example, when I engage high damping on my ported sub, will I lose some tactile response due to the leaner low end?
If high damping is a HPF before you get to your port tune, then yes. If not, no.

Quote:
Also, if the sub is used farfield/at moderate listening levels, does the difference in tactile response still exist?
The closer the subs are to the test position, the more apparent it will be. The further away they are, less apparent.

IME, I can still tell a difference further away (subs placed by mains), but it is not as noticeable.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Regarding damping and tactile response, it depends what you mean.

Low damping = more ringing and higher frequency output gives more kind of one tactile response.

High damping = lower frequency extension and better impulse response gives more of another kind of tactile response.

It also depends on the content and room.
Your best bet is to experiment with both.
Madmax67 likes this.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great thread on the mbm experiment. As I expected, all references are to use in a video system, not a music one. I understand---subs are used far more in video systems than in music ones, and most Rythmik (and other brand subs) users will want to try out an mbm or two, to get more of the tactilicity so desired by hard-core enthusiasts. It might also work great at approximating what one hears and feels from the sound system at a Metal or Hard Rock show!

What brings satisfaction in a video application may very well, in fact most likely, not in a purely audio one. In Hi-Fi, there is a reference---the sound of unamplified acoustic instruments and voices---to which a Hi-Fi system attempts to REproduce. There is also the assumption that the sound on a recording is somewhat like how live music sounds, and that the system is merely trying to, again, REproduce it. Adding mid-bass punch to a recording that contains none is anathema to Hi-Fi. In movie sound, there is no such reference---it's whatever "feels" good. That's cool!
Madmax67 likes this.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP24 View Post
In Hi-Fi, there is a reference---the sound of unamplified acoustic instruments and voices---to which a Hi-Fi system attempts to REproduce. There is also the assumption that the sound on a recording is somewhat like how live music sounds, and that the system is merely trying to, again, REproduce it. Adding mid-bass punch to a recording that contains none is anathema to Hi-Fi. In movie sound, there is no such reference---it's whatever "feels" good. That's cool!
Yes, you're correct. All focus has been on the HT scene.

Curious, when you say there is a reference for Hi-Fi, are you referring to a Tactile reference? How would you know if content should or should not have a midbass punch; and if it does, how much it should have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
f12g subwoofer , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub