Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 808 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 2360Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 8,151
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Which is basically zilch - or I guess the just the MCACC calibration, an iPhone app SPL meter, and my ears. So some followup questions:

1. Will I even be able to know how to use it or what to look for or is there somewhere online where I can learn more - I'm always up for learning.

2. I assume the goal is to measure and tweak until i get as close to flat as my speakers and environment will allow, then tweak further for my specific listening. The article I already read gave an example where a specific person was adjusting to try to get to flat, but this person's hearing dropped off at the higher frequencies. So for this person, a flat level wasn't great, but instead a treble boost was ideal at higher volumes. I don't think my receiver lets me boos treble/bass at certain decibals, just an overall treble or bass +/-. So would I really be able to accomplish my ideal levels? Which brings me to my next question.

3. These devices seem to give very accurate readings, but my receiver's manual speaker calibrations aren't very detailed. I can turn each channel up or down, set the crossover, set the distance, and set whether they're small or large. Would I really be able to adjust THAT much that I would hear noticeable improvements? It already sounds awesome, but I'm all for chasing a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, if there really is one there.

4. Is it possible due to all the hard surfaces, angles walls, etc. in my room that this thing could just get completely whacked out readings and do no good?

Anyways - I took back the SVS Prime Center today and picked up this bad boy. Can't wait to get it home tonight and redo my EQ (with MCACC that is)

To learn REW...and there is a learning curve...there are two very important resources; Austin Jerry's invaluable guide and the "Simplified REW..." thread. You will find both through the "Getting Started with REW" link in my sig.

Most folks using REW around here are only using it to tweak their subwoofer response. If you want to get into EQ'ing all of your speakers, that can get very expensive (AVR with pre-outs or pre/pro, outboard amplification and outboard EQ are required). Just EQ'ing a subwoofer is fairly easy and much cheaper, all you need is REW, a mic and an outboard EQ like the MiniDSP (~$100). Depending on your room, you may not even need outboard EQ and may be able to get a fairly flat sub response with placement, phase and your AVR's room correction. However, I know that MCACC is lacking in the sub EQ department, so we would have to wait and see what your response is now before making that determination.

REW can show you in great detail exactly how all of those hard surfaces in your room are messing with your sound, leading down a whole 'nother rabbit hole; acoustic treatments.


If you decide to tackle REW (and you should) and have any questions, myself and many others are here to help!
MrGrey likes this.
Alan P is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Blacklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton,AB Canada
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Are these just for subwoofer calibration, or all speakers? My understanding is you want the volume to remain constant through all frequencies the speaker can produce for "ideal" sound. Is this correct?
This mic is for everything from testing all types of speakers, drivers, room acoustics, bass traps, nulls and peaks, distortion level, group delay, SPL level, etc. You name it and it will test it. It will open up you world to audio. I forgot about my new born for 2 weeks after I got my mic.
Alan P and citsur86 like this.
Blacklightning is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 8,151
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Are these just for subwoofer calibration, or all speakers? My understanding is you want the volume to remain constant through all frequencies the speaker can produce for "ideal" sound. Is this correct?
You can use either of those mics to measure your entire system, however the UMIK-1 is more sturdily built than the UMM-6 (ask me how I know ), as has been pointed out.

A perfectly flat response is preferred by some, but not most. If you look up the Fletcher-Munson curve you will find that most people prefer a "sloping" response. This is a response that rising roughly 3-6dB from 20khz down to 20hz, explaining why most around here tend to run their subs 3-6dB "hot".
Alan P is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Foundation42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
All may not be lost though because at this very moment I'm listening to a 15" ported subwoofer that will be featured in an upcoming review. It's a new/old model from none other than Mark Seaton, so there's something in the future that may interest you.
If that might just happen to be the MFW-15 Turbo-SS that I've been seeing some chatter about recently, I am indeed interested.
Foundation42 is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Blacklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton,AB Canada
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 181
REW can tell you the difference in sound between you having your toys on your table and your toys off to the side... if you really wanted to know. It's the best $100 you will send on your system and the worst $100 you will spend when it comes to making your wife happy. My wife still has nightmares of frequency sweeps.

MrGrey likes this.
Blacklightning is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15,478
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 1619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
I forgot about my new born for 2 weeks after I got my mic.
lol
I assume all is now well.
Bond 007 is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,844
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
^^^^ I believe that CSL does recal each unit individually. However, like you said as far as the big picture goes, either option is a huge step up from the measurement tools he has now...
Which is basically zilch - or I guess the just the MCACC calibration, an iPhone app SPL meter, and my ears. So some followup questions:

1. Will I even be able to know how to use it or what to look for or is there somewhere online where I can learn more - I'm always up for learning.

2. I assume the goal is to measure and tweak until i get as close to flat as my speakers and environment will allow, then tweak further for my specific listening. The article I already read gave an example where a specific person was adjusting to try to get to flat, but this person's hearing dropped off at the higher frequencies. So for this person, a flat level wasn't great, but instead a treble boost was ideal at higher volumes. I don't think my receiver lets me boos treble/bass at certain decibals, just an overall treble or bass +/-. So would I really be able to accomplish my ideal levels? Which brings me to my next question.

3. These devices seem to give very accurate readings, but my receiver's manual speaker calibrations aren't very detailed. I can turn each channel up or down, set the crossover, set the distance, and set whether they're small or large. Would I really be able to adjust THAT much that I would hear noticeable improvements? It already sounds awesome, but I'm all for chasing a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, if there really is one there.

4. Is it possible due to all the hard surfaces, angles walls, etc. in my room that this thing could just get completely whacked out readings and do no good?

Anyways - I took back the SVS Prime Center today and picked up this bad boy. Can't wait to get it home tonight and redo my EQ (with MCACC that is)

Just curious... what made you return the prime center?

And what are your mains (front left and right speakers)?

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 07-07-2016 at 02:04 PM.
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
Old 07-07-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,144
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
For measurement I would get the CSL-calibrated UMIK-1: http://cross-spectrum.com/measuremen...ated_umik.html

CSL calibrates mics individually but does not provide an absolute level correction. You can enter your UMIK-1's serial number on the mniDSP site and get its cal file from them, then type it (the file is plain text and the correction is a line or two at the top) into the CSL cal file and get pretty durn close (need that or REW will not get absolute levels right). As mentioned by others, the UMIK-1 has a lower noise floor, and is more sturdily built than the Dayton UMM-6. CSL was supposedly phasing out the Dayton models but maybe they changed their minds as they are still listed. Note that anything with a miniUSB (or any other, frankly) connector is ultimately doomed to failure; be careful plugging the cable in and out.

The good news for others, and bad for me, is that except for noise floor and max level handling the UMIK-1 provides curves from <10 Hz to over 20 kHz comparable (almost identical) to my $1200 Earthworks measurement mic into a fancy preamp and running professional (expensive) software and all that jazz. REW+CSL is plenty good enough for our use. Too bad I didn't have the REW plus CSL option ten or twenty years ago. I have since switched to using REW and my UMIK-1 for just about everything as it is essentially just as accurate and far more convenient.

You should also spend $30 to get a decent boom mic stand. Something more sturdy than the pencil-legged $10~$20 models that tip over if you sneeze on them.

BTW, do NOT sneeze into the mic.

IME/IMO/FWIWFM/my 0.000001 cent (microcent)/etc. - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,844
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
For measurement I would get the CSL-calibrated UMIK-1: http://cross-spectrum.com/measuremen...ated_umik.html

CSL calibrates mics individually but does not provide an absolute level correction. You can enter your UMIK-1's serial number on the mniDSP site and get its cal file from them, then type it (the file is plain text and the correction is a line or two at the top) into the CSL cal file and get pretty durn close (need that or REW will not get absolute levels right). As mentioned by others, the UMIK-1 has a lower noise floor, and is more sturdily built than the Dayton UMM-6. CSL was supposedly phasing out the Dayton models but maybe they changed their minds as they are still listed. Note that anything with a miniUSB (or any other, frankly) connector is ultimately doomed to failure; be careful plugging the cable in and out.

The good news for others, and bad for me, is that except for noise floor and max level handling the UMIK-1 provides curves from <10 Hz to over 20 kHz comparable (almost identical) to my $1200 Earthworks measurement mic into a fancy preamp and running professional (expensive) software and all that jazz. REW+CSL is plenty good enough for our use. Too bad I didn't have the REW plus CSL option ten or twenty years ago. I have since switched to using REW and my UMIK-1 for just about everything as it is essentially just as accurate and far more convenient.

You should also spend $30 to get a decent boom mic stand. Something more sturdy than the pencil-legged $10~$20 models that tip over if you sneeze on them.

BTW, do NOT sneeze into the mic.

IME/IMO/FWIWFM/my 0.000001 cent (microcent)/etc. - Don
I think I remember reading somewhere the sensitivity parameter is now included in the CSL files.
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Just curious... what made you return the prime center?


To be honest I really wanted to CM Center S2 but they didn't have it in stock. They did have an SVS Prime Center so when I bought it, it was definitely an impulse buy and I knew that night I should have waited. I didn't want to have a Frankenstein front setup with a different center. Also I ordered the CMC S2 before i figured out what was causing my center vocals to get drowned out.

Also, I had a $750 budget so I figured I should go for a higher quality speaker. I got the CMC S2 for under $500 and although the SVS Center Prime didn't sound bad, I'm hoping the B&W CMC S2 will sound better. Also the timbre should be closer since it's B&W, albeit not in the same series as my fronts and surrounds.

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
==============================
Pioneer Elite VSX-44 AVR, MiniDSP 2x4 HD DAP, Rythmik FV15HP SW, B&W 684 Mains, B&W 685 Surrounds, B&W CM Center, Polk T15 Heights, Yamaha NS-AP2800S Rears
citsur86 is online now  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,178
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
For measurement I would get the CSL-calibrated UMIK-1: http://cross-spectrum.com/measuremen...ated_umik.html

CSL calibrates mics individually but does not provide an absolute level correction. You can enter your UMIK-1's serial number on the mniDSP site and get its cal file from them, then type it (the file is plain text and the correction is a line or two at the top) into the CSL cal file and get pretty durn close (need that or REW will not get absolute levels right). As mentioned by others, the UMIK-1 has a lower noise floor, and is more sturdily built than the Dayton UMM-6. CSL was supposedly phasing out the Dayton models but maybe they changed their minds as they are still listed. Note that anything with a miniUSB (or any other, frankly) connector is ultimately doomed to failure; be careful plugging the cable in and out.

The good news for others, and bad for me, is that except for noise floor and max level handling the UMIK-1 provides curves from <10 Hz to over 20 kHz comparable (almost identical) to my $1200 Earthworks measurement mic into a fancy preamp and running professional (expensive) software and all that jazz. REW+CSL is plenty good enough for our use. Too bad I didn't have the REW plus CSL option ten or twenty years ago. I have since switched to using REW and my UMIK-1 for just about everything as it is essentially just as accurate and far more convenient.

You should also spend $30 to get a decent boom mic stand. Something more sturdy than the pencil-legged $10~$20 models that tip over if you sneeze on them.

BTW, do NOT sneeze into the mic.

IME/IMO/FWIWFM/my 0.000001 cent (microcent)/etc. - Don
I'm still old school, I guess. I'm still using my Earthworks M30 mic + Apogee Duet for Mac audio interface. My iMac is in the same room as my audio equipment so no need for an USB mic. But I agree, if you don't have an audio interface already then the Dayton USB or the UMIK-1 should be more than you need. As Don said, it's wort to pay the extra $25 and get it from CSL instead of directly from miniDSP site.



Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Polk LSiM705s, LSiM706C, LSiM703s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Duet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
enricoclaudio is offline  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
MrGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
My wife still has nightmares of frequency sweeps.
Lol, my house is pretty much tired of that and me replaying the same scene in TF4 tessa run to the field, tessa run to the field, tessa run to the field lmao

Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Surrounds - Don't ask lol
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
MrGrey is online now  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,144
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Heck, I am an analog guy at a digital company, talk about old school. I have a notebook in my media room but it is way easier to run Dirac Live and REW using the same mic, and I do not have to haul out a preamp for my Earthworks mic (needs phantom power and low-noise gain; the mic pre in my Windows notebook is too noisy, no phantom power, and not enough gain for me). Lazy I am, yes indeed... I have an M30 as well (too cheap to get the M50). I had a very nice B&K or Sennheiser measurement mic years ago but wasn't using it much, and the recal cost was exorbitant, so I sold it and bought the Earthworks years later. My analysis SW works fine but has not been updated for a couple of years so I am also nervous they may quit supporting it. REW does most everything I need to do these days.

CSL will also calibrate your own mic if you send it to them. I don't recall the cost off-hand but is a good option if you already have a mic they can cal and just want more accuracy.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
Old 07-08-2016, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 134
To my ears, the B&W CMC S2 is noticeably better than the SVS Prime Center. The CMC has clearer highs, and blends in better during the lows (explosions, action, etc.) - especially with the Rythmik LV12R. I'm very happy with the purchase. I know this is the Rythmik Official thread, so I don't want to venture too far off topic, but since all of you have been so helpful for me over the last couple weeks, I wanted to ask if there are any quick suggestions from folks for what rears I should get to replace the HTIB Yamaha Fronts I am currently using for rears? I can get most HiFi speakers at cost from the manufacturers - so keep that in mind. Need these to round out my system. Preferably B&W, though I'm open to other suggestions.
citsur86 is online now  
Old 07-08-2016, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You can use either of those mics to measure your entire system, however the UMIK-1 is more sturdily built than the UMM-6 (ask me how I know ), as has been pointed out.

A perfectly flat response is preferred by some, but not most. If you look up the Fletcher-Munson curve you will find that most people prefer a "sloping" response. This is a response that rising roughly 3-6dB from 20khz down to 20hz, explaining why most around here tend to run their subs 3-6dB "hot".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
This mic is for everything from testing all types of speakers, drivers, room acoustics, bass traps, nulls and peaks, distortion level, group delay, SPL level, etc. You name it and it will test it. It will open up you world to audio. I forgot about my new born for 2 weeks after I got my mic.
Thanks for the info - super helpful. My almost 1 year old definitely wont let me forget about him haha, neither will the wife. But I can see myself getting just as engrossed - I'm somewhat of a perfectionist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
For measurement I would get the CSL-calibrated UMIK-1: http://cross-spectrum.com/measuremen...ated_umik.html

CSL calibrates mics individually but does not provide an absolute level correction. You can enter your UMIK-1's serial number on the mniDSP site and get its cal file from them, then type it (the file is plain text and the correction is a line or two at the top) into the CSL cal file and get pretty durn close (need that or REW will not get absolute levels right). As mentioned by others, the UMIK-1 has a lower noise floor, and is more sturdily built than the Dayton UMM-6. CSL was supposedly phasing out the Dayton models but maybe they changed their minds as they are still listed. Note that anything with a miniUSB (or any other, frankly) connector is ultimately doomed to failure; be careful plugging the cable in and out.

The good news for others, and bad for me, is that except for noise floor and max level handling the UMIK-1 provides curves from <10 Hz to over 20 kHz comparable (almost identical) to my $1200 Earthworks measurement mic into a fancy preamp and running professional (expensive) software and all that jazz. REW+CSL is plenty good enough for our use. Too bad I didn't have the REW plus CSL option ten or twenty years ago. I have since switched to using REW and my UMIK-1 for just about everything as it is essentially just as accurate and far more convenient.

You should also spend $30 to get a decent boom mic stand. Something more sturdy than the pencil-legged $10~$20 models that tip over if you sneeze on them.

BTW, do NOT sneeze into the mic.

IME/IMO/FWIWFM/my 0.000001 cent (microcent)/etc. - Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I'm still old school, I guess. I'm still using my Earthworks M30 mic + Apogee Duet for Mac audio interface. My iMac is in the same room as my audio equipment so no need for an USB mic. But I agree, if you don't have an audio interface already then the Dayton USB or the UMIK-1 should be more than you need. As Don said, it's wort to pay the extra $25 and get it from CSL instead of directly from miniDSP site.
Also very, very helpful guys - thanks for that.

So here's where I'm at with this. I would love to learn how it all works, and have already began reading on the links from Alan's signature. My issue is spending the money needed to actually buy the equipment. I have a family friend who has a dedicated, awesome home theater in his house - albeit spec'd mostly for music, but also for HT listening. I know he had a professional company come in and not only soundproof but also do audio treatments and noise isolation work. I'm gonna have a chat with him and see who he used, how much something like that costs, etc. Unless any of you fine people live close to South Jersey and want a project The pizza and beer are free
citsur86 is online now  
Old 07-08-2016, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,144
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
To get started in measurement should be well under $150. REW is free, the CSL-calibrated mic around $100, and a boom mic stand around $30.

If you want to learn how it works regarding room treatment, head over to Ethan Winer's site (www.realtraps.com) and read through the tutorials. There are also DIY articles there and elsewhere. Making absorbers is pretty easy, and if you have time and a little more skill diffusors are well within reach.

Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics is a decent overview of a lot of things acoustic. I consider it advanced layman/entry engineering level. There's not a lot of math, just algebra if that, and a lot of good descriptions and pictures. There are many other books that may be just as good, this is just one I have used for ages (in addition to everything from basic how-to pamphlets to graduate texts on acoustics with lots of complicated equations using squiggly lines and characters that I have mercifully mostly forgotten ).

Isolation is a different issue, one best solved during construction as after the fact can be a challenge. My media room is pretty well isolated using Kinetics Noise Control IsoMax clips for floating walls and ceiling (basement, floor is concrete) and a miniSplit to keep house HVAC ducts away (those ducts are a major transmission source for frequencies above bass; below you need to isolate adjoining surfaces such as walls, floor, ceiling).

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
Old 07-08-2016, 06:23 AM
Member
 
tegage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
To my ears, the B&W CMC S2 is noticeably better than the SVS Prime Center. The CMC has clearer highs, and blends in better during the lows (explosions, action, etc.) - especially with the Rythmik LV12R. I'm very happy with the purchase. I know this is the Rythmik Official thread, so I don't want to venture too far off topic, but since all of you have been so helpful for me over the last couple weeks, I wanted to ask if there are any quick suggestions from folks for what rears I should get to replace the HTIB Yamaha Fronts I am currently using for rears? I can get most HiFi speakers at cost from the manufacturers - so keep that in mind. Need these to round out my system. Preferably B&W, though I'm open to other suggestions.

In general, one wants all the speakers, fronts, center, surrounds and rears to be the same mfg/family in order to match timbre. I am not an audio expert (just a home theater enthusiast), but I would think it most important to match the front three so if your mains are not B&W, you might consider swapping those out first. you don't need worry about the brand of the sub, i.e., you don't need to match your Rythmik - just set the crossover based on your mains.
MrGrey likes this.

LG 65EF9500
Oppo BDP-103
Polk LSiM703, LSiM704C, LSi 7
Rythmik A370PEQ2 sub
Outlaw 975
Outlaw 7125
tegage is offline  
Old 07-08-2016, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
To get started in measurement should be well under $150. REW is free, the CSL-calibrated mic around $100, and a boom mic stand around $30.

If you want to learn how it works regarding room treatment, head over to Ethan Winer's site (www.realtraps.com) and read through the tutorials. There are also DIY articles there and elsewhere. Making absorbers is pretty easy, and if you have time and a little more skill diffusors are well within reach.

Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics is a decent overview of a lot of things acoustic. I consider it advanced layman/entry engineering level. There's not a lot of math, just algebra if that, and a lot of good descriptions and pictures. There are many other books that may be just as good, this is just one I have used for ages (in addition to everything from basic how-to pamphlets to graduate texts on acoustics with lots of complicated equations using squiggly lines and characters that I have mercifully mostly forgotten ).

Isolation is a different issue, one best solved during construction as after the fact can be a challenge. My media room is pretty well isolated using Kinetics Noise Control IsoMax clips for floating walls and ceiling (basement, floor is concrete) and a miniSplit to keep house HVAC ducts away (those ducts are a major transmission source for frequencies above bass; below you need to isolate adjoining surfaces such as walls, floor, ceiling).

HTH - Don
Yeah - the price isn't too crazy, but I'm already at breaking limits with the wife, having just bought new Surrounds, Center, and Sub. I studied computer and electrical engineering at Rutgers University so I'm fairly competent in the math (though it might need a dusting). Audio treatment in my living room might not fly for reasons of WAF. Unless I can somehow make them not noticeable. Isolation and treatments are likely more for me to consider when I finally get to building my home theater as seen here.
citsur86 is online now  
Old 07-08-2016, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegage View Post
In general, one wants all the speakers, fronts, center, surrounds and rears to be the same mfg/family in order to match timbre. I am not an audio expert (just a home theater enthusiast), but I would think it most important to match the front three so if your mains are not B&W, you might consider swapping those out first. you don't need worry about the brand of the sub, i.e., you don't need to match your Rythmik - just set the crossover based on your mains.
Sorry, I don't think I was clear. My fronts are B&W 684 S1. Surrounds are B&W 685 S1. Center is B&W CM Center S2. Sub is Rythmik LV12R. Rears are what used to be the fronts of an old Yamaha HTIB. So looking to replace those with something, ideally B&W rears (maybe B&W DS3s?)
citsur86 is online now  
Old 07-08-2016, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,144
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Panels can be pretty, and you can even order or make them with pictures on the front. I am lucky to have both an understanding wife (who has been through many iterations through the decades) and a dedicated media room.

Your rear question would best be posted in the B&W thread. Personally I would save and get another pair of 685's for the rears. Well, personally, I stuck with Magnepan MC-1's for my rears to match my surrounds, but if I were going with B&W and had your system I'd get the 685's.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
Old 07-08-2016, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Panels can be pretty, and you can even order or make them with pictures on the front. I am lucky to have both an understanding wife (who has been through many iterations through the decades) and a dedicated media room.

Your rear question would best be posted in the B&W thread. Personally I would save and get another pair of 685's for the rears. Well, personally, I stuck with Magnepan MC-1's for my rears to match my surrounds, but if I were going with B&W and had your system I'd get the 685's.
Gotcha - thanks for the reply. 685s might be a bit overkill for rears - maybe 686's. Anyways - you're right, I'll wait for some of the B&W Owner's Thread folks to reply. Back to the Rythmik conversation! haha
citsur86 is online now  
Old 07-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
MrGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Bass is so clean and i feel it in my body, it really adds a new 'dimension' to the music i love, Rythmik 4Life


Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Surrounds - Don't ask lol
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
MrGrey is online now  
Old 07-08-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,144
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Gotcha - thanks for the reply. 685s might be a bit overkill for rears - maybe 686's. Anyways - you're right, I'll wait for some of the B&W Owner's Thread folks to reply. Back to the Rythmik conversation! haha
Maybe... There is still a lot of 5.1 stuff and my system sends essentially the same info to the rears as to the surrounds, and similar content to the rears in 7.1 though the rears are used less often for the most part in 7.1. Based on that I prefer to match them though it probably does not matter all that much. OTOH I'm not sure "overkill" has any place in audio-land...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
....OTOH I'm not sure "overkill" has any place in audio-land...
True story there! If I had unlimited budget, I would grab another 3 LV12Rs and have them in each corner of my living room. Although, this would require a receiver upgrade lol.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.

Last edited by citsur86; 07-08-2016 at 09:09 AM.
citsur86 is online now  
Old 07-08-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,144
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
It took several years but four F12's have now taken up residence in my media room. Not in the corners, though, out a bit where they provide the best response. In my small'ish room the -3 dB point is around 7 Hz. Nothing like a little room gain to give you an extra octave down low.
AlexanderDelarg and MrGrey like this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
Old 07-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
It took several years but four F12's have now taken up residence in my media room. Not in the corners, though, out a bit where they provide the best response. In my small'ish room the -3 dB point is around 7 Hz. Nothing like a little room gain to give you an extra octave down low.


That's crazy good performance for a 12" sub, due in no small part to careful setup and positioning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is online now  
Old 07-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Bluecow003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
So here's where I'm at with this. I would love to learn how it all works, and have already began reading on the links from Alan's signature. My issue is spending the money needed to actually buy the equipment. I have a family friend who has a dedicated, awesome home theater in his house - albeit spec'd mostly for music, but also for HT listening. I know he had a professional company come in and not only soundproof but also do audio treatments and noise isolation work. I'm gonna have a chat with him and see who he used, how much something like that costs, etc. Unless any of you fine people live close to South Jersey and want a project The pizza and beer are free
Professional audio calibration is going to probably be in the $300 to $400 range at least. It can be a time intensive process. And if you make any modifications to your room or speaker placement, guess what? You need to get it recalibrated. It's far better and cheaper to figure out how to do it yourself unless you have a dedicated room where you want someone to set it up completely and then never modify it again.
citsur86 and bmcn like this.

7.2.4 Setup | Display: Panasonic TC-P65VT50 plasma | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's
Bluecow003 is offline  
Old 07-09-2016, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post
Professional audio calibration is going to probably be in the $300 to $400 range at least. It can be a time intensive process. And if you make any modifications to your room or speaker placement, guess what? You need to get it recalibrated. It's far better and cheaper to figure out how to do it yourself unless you have a dedicated room where you want someone to set it up completely and then never modify it again.


Yeah definitely going to hold off on this for a while. The system sounds great as is. As an aside, today I added a couple additions which may or may not bring my HT to new heights. too bad I can't figure out how to get the speaker wire to them through that external wall with insulation in it. For the moment they're just hanging there until I can figure it out.



Matt2026 likes this.

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
==============================
Pioneer Elite VSX-44 AVR, MiniDSP 2x4 HD DAP, Rythmik FV15HP SW, B&W 684 Mains, B&W 685 Surrounds, B&W CM Center, Polk T15 Heights, Yamaha NS-AP2800S Rears
citsur86 is online now  
Old 07-09-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Matt2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 3,073
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 11029
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Yeah definitely going to hold off on this for a while. The system sounds great as is. As an aside, today I added a couple additions which may or may not bring my HT to new heights. too bad I can't figure out how to get the speaker wire to them through that external wall with insulation in it. For the moment they're just hanging there until I can figure it out.



I assume you are referring to the height speakers IF it were my decision, at least temporarily I'd run the wires up behind the towers, snake it into the window opening and out from the valence to the speakers, a very short run showing. I'd try painting the wire to match the wall...

Enjoy your setup

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000 & BD-F7500; L/R SVS Ultra BS, Ultra Center;
RS Celestion 5; FH & SS Polk; Klipsch R-12SW; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nakamichi RE-2, CDC-4A, CR7A, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
Matt2026 is offline  
Old 07-09-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,844
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
So here's where I'm at with this. I would love to learn how it all works, and have already began reading on the links from Alan's signature. My issue is spending the money needed to actually buy the equipment. I have a family friend who has a dedicated, awesome home theater in his house - albeit spec'd mostly for music, but also for HT listening. I know he had a professional company come in and not only soundproof but also do audio treatments and noise isolation work. I'm gonna have a chat with him and see who he used, how much something like that costs, etc. Unless any of you fine people live close to South Jersey and want a project The pizza and beer are free
Professional audio calibration is going to probably be in the $300 to $400 range at least. It can be a time intensive process. And if you make any modifications to your room or speaker placement, guess what? You need to get it recalibrated. It's far better and cheaper to figure out how to do it yourself unless you have a dedicated room where you want someone to set it up completely and then never modify it again.
+1 on doing it yourself... I don't like the idea of not being able to change things afterwards... plus I'm one of those people who if I don't do it myself I'm not happy with the end result.

(I discovered this with professional video calibration services a while back.)
bmcn likes this.
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
f12g subwoofer , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off