Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 857 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2410Likes
post #25681 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Nice grab at best buy. Glad they can work with you on those speakers. $30 is a giant steak, so yeah $30 is $30 haha.

That graph looks a lot better. Let us know tomorrow how it sounds.

My F12 should be hitting Rythmik tomorrow sometime. Hoping for shiping early next week for the FV15 back to me.

Nice. Rythmik has been great about getting me both subs speedy. Are you waiting for them to process your return before buying the FV15HP?

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
==============================
Pioneer Elite VSX-44 AVR, MiniDSP 2x4 HD DAP,
Rythmik FV15HP SW, B&W 684 S1 Mains,
B&W 685 S1 Surrounds, B&W CM Center S2,
Polk T15 Heights, Polk T15 Rear Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25682 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Nice. Rythmik has been great about getting me both subs speedy. Are you waiting for them to process your return before buying the FV15HP?
Yeah, I dont have the funds to afford one outright without the return processed of my F12
post #25683 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Yeah, I dont have the funds to afford one outright without the return processed of my F12

Gotcha. My LV12R is also on the way back to them now. Excited for you to get the FV15!

post #25684 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Gotcha. My LV12R is also on the way back to them now. Excited for you to get the FV15!
Plugged in my JBL $300 sub and it was such an awful idea. Was almost better not having it plugged in at all. I had missed my F12 at that point but I am excited for what the FV15 has to offer.
post #25685 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Not even sure if there's enough room between my speakers for that large of a screen! Haha. Also assuming that would be very expensive. Especially if I want it to be able to roll up into the ceiling.
Check out a Dalite Deluxe Model B 106" 16:9 screen.
Manual pull-down, and includes a tensioning arm to keep it flat.
$300 in 1.0-1.5 gain, depending on projector brightness and seating angle.

Although a little smaller than ideal, this kind of setup might be an easier fit for the room.
Then, when you move to the basement, you can switch to a bigger & nicer fixed frame screen.
106" is still better than a 60" by miles and miles.

This is helpful for determining screen gain:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

If it were me, I'd get a projector before the Atmos receiver. Atmos is cool, but the projector will make a much bigger difference.
post #25686 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 273
you are really striving for something...I guess you can tell the difference with your ears in sound? when I tweak I cant tell much, stupid burst tones leave me very underwhelmed. music on the otherhand I can tell on some of my favorite tunes...even by metallica or red hot chili peppers...

to be honest, I could show you rew graphs 20 different ways all within 5 different tests...dont get wrapped up in it if you are close to enjoying it...

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
post #25687 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A few people here recommended I do this. I don't think the sweeps will damage the sub. They are barely taxing it at all.
I stuff a pair of earbuds in my ears during sweeps, to protect my hearing.
post #25688 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Check out a Dalite Deluxe Model B 106" 16:9 screen.

Manual pull-down, and includes a tensioning arm to keep it flat.

$300 in 1.0-1.5 gain, depending on projector brightness and seating angle.

Although a little smaller than ideal, this kind of setup might be an easier fit for the room.

Then, when you move to the basement, you can switch to a bigger & nicer fixed frame screen.

106" is still better than a 60" by miles and miles.

This is helpful for determining screen gain:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

If it were me, I'd get a projector before the Atmos receiver. Atmos is cool, but the projector will make a much bigger difference.

I think you're right. A projector screen would be much bigger of an upgrade than a new receiver. Would really prefer an electric screen that rolls up into the ceiling and out of sight. Decided to grab a tape measure today and measure between the speakers. I couldn't measure the diagonal directly but I measured the length along the ground and the height based on where I could see it coming down. 120"x55" which, using a little Pythagorean, gives me a 132" screen max. I'd likely wanna go a bit smaller if/when I do it.

post #25689 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 09:56 PM

Quote:
yeah the end of the sweeps bothered my ears.
post #25690 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
you are really striving for something...I guess you can tell the difference with your ears in sound? when I tweak I cant tell much, stupid burst tones leave me very underwhelmed. music on the otherhand I can tell on some of my favorite tunes...even by metallica or red hot chili peppers...

to be honest, I could show you rew graphs 20 different ways all within 5 different tests...dont get wrapped up in it if you are close to enjoying it...
I actually find the tweaking as fun as listening, but it is important to keep it in perspective.
Your listening perception shifts around a ton - far more than than what we agonize over in search of the perfect graph.
You can only hear differences with rapid A/B tests.
After that, your brain compensates, and the most of the differences vanish.
citsur86 likes this.
post #25691 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread

Quote:

Yeah. Part of all the REW Stuff is just me learning the concepts and process. I'm having fun doing it so it's not a frustrating process at all for me. To your point though, perceived vs measured response definitely varies, and that's why I boost the lower frequencies. Tomorrow I hope to play some material back with different settings on the sub amp to see what the clips and music sound like with different settings. Ive said this about 10 times now, but I'm really likely done REW and PEQ setup for a while now. I seem to keep going back to it as I learn something new. But at this point I'm pretty sure I've tried every possible combination and filter set!

post #25692 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think you're right. A projector screen would be much bigger of an upgrade than a new receiver. Would really prefer an electric screen that rolls up into the ceiling and out of sight. Decided to grab a tape measure today and measure between the speakers. I couldn't measure the diagonal directly but I measured the length along the ground and the height based on where I could see it coming down. 120"x55" which, using a little Pythagorean, gives me a 132" screen max. I'd likely wanna go a bit smaller if/when I do it.
Yeah, for projector screens, it's more convenient to focus on width.
post #25693 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I usually only re run rew when I shift/move something...I do that alot, but I only check to see if I really messed something up...I am lucky in that my open space is huge, and I can get away with alot due to the size being like an open field...which means not alot of bass.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
post #25694 of 25701 Unread Yesterday, 10:49 PM

I plan on running rew to find the best spot possible out of about 6 different spots. Than running rew using the different PEQ functions.

I might even try and REW my speakers a bit but that could be a huge hassle.
post #25695 of 25701 Unread Today, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Files attached. These are all without EQ or PEQ - 100Hz crossover. I think the Low 1 port option is still what I prefer, especially since I don't gain much at all with medium or high.

I'm going to run again now, after PEQ'ing the low, 1 port response.
What this shows is 1 port mid or high damping will give you the flatest response from 12Hz to 40Hz or so.
post #25696 of 25701 Unread Today, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Quote:
A few people here recommended I do this. I don't think the sweeps will damage the sub. They are barely taxing it at all.
Yep...
Sweeps will not hurt anything...its steady state tones that will toast a voice coil quick.
Yeah, continous sine wave test tones are a good example.

Sweeps should be okay as long as the sub isn't compressing and distortion levels are not too high. 256K sweeps are 5.5 seconds each in REW so as long as they are spaced out and you don't run 100s of them in a day you should be fine.
post #25697 of 25701 Unread Today, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:
I use earplugs from home depot, the triple flanged ones... I can barely hear a 90dB sub sweep with them on.
post #25698 of 25701 Unread Today, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
I use earplugs from home depot, the triple flanged ones... I can barely hear a 90dB sub sweep with them on.
The sweeps don't bother my ears at all. Am I not running them loud enough? lol - never thought I would ask if I'm doing something wrong because I'm not in pain.

post #25699 of 25701 Unread Today, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah. Part of all the REW Stuff is just me learning the concepts and process. I'm having fun doing it so it's not a frustrating process at all for me. To your point though, perceived vs measured response definitely varies, and that's why I boost the lower frequencies. Tomorrow I hope to play some material back with different settings on the sub amp to see what the clips and music sound like with different settings. Ive said this about 10 times now, but I'm really likely done REW and PEQ setup for a while now. I seem to keep going back to it as I learn something new. But at this point I'm pretty sure I've tried every possible combination and filter set!
Just don't get too addicted to it... I used to run REW/YPAO all the time but I've found using it sparingly is more enjoyable/beneficial plus I don't end up annoying others in the house with lots of test tones.

Nowadays, I might tweak my PEQ filters but I don't measure often in REW nor do I rerun YPAO unless something sounds off. Mainly because the predicted response in REW after applying PEQ filters is close enough to the actual measured response (usually) and on my AVR I only use YPAO for setting trims and delays, not auto PEQ. So, the sw delay doesn't change and the sw trim can be tweaked slightly by ear if necessary.

(The only time the sw delay should change is when adjusting the sub's LPF or adding one in the MiniDSP/REW, both of which are unnecessary. PEQ filters have no effect on delay in my experience. And the LPF in the REW target line is not the same as applying an LPF filter in the MiniDSP/REW.)

At some point you have to ask yourself how much time do you spend enjoying movies and music vs. calibrating...
post #25700 of 25701 Unread Today, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:
The sweeps don't bother my ears at all. Am I not running them loud enough? lol - never thought I would ask if I'm doing something wrong because I'm not in pain.
Well, I get fullness and/or irritation in my ears from loud bass. The earplugs minimize that. Also, full range sweeps, even at 75dB irritate my ears in the high frequencies. Earplugs help a lot with that.

I think sine wave sweeps at a given dB are more intense than sound effects in a movie at the same dB and also more fatiguing. Pink noise too, in my experience.

Personally, I would wear earplugs especially if you sit closer to the sub or any of the speakers than the UMIK-1 during measures. Because if you sit closer it will be louder than the measures indicate for those speakers/sub. Better to be safe than sorry, especially if you use REW/MCACC a lot.
post #25701 of 25701 Unread Today, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, I get fullness and/or irritation in my ears from loud bass. The earplugs minimize that. Also, full range sweeps, even at 75dB irritate my ears in the high frequencies. Earplugs help a lot with that.

I think sine wave sweeps at a given dB are more intense than sound effects in a movie at the same dB and also more fatiguing. Pink noise too, in my experience.

Personally, I would wear earplugs especially if you sit closer to the sub or any of the speakers than the UMIK-1 during measures. Because if you sit closer it will be louder than the measures indicate for those speakers/sub. Better to be safe than sorry, especially if you use REW/MCACC a lot.
Yeah - well hopefully (although I've said this before), I'm done with REW for a while. But I do have disposable earplugs at home, so I could use them if I need. Thanks for the tip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub