Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 936 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3315Likes
post #28051 of 28079 Unread 02-22-2017, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Wow, this thread has really wandered off... I actually did quite a bit of wading through the MQA papers and the looong article about it and generally understand the scheme. It's actually a fairly neat idea. Whether it sufficiently improves the sound and provides enough compression (loss, file size reduction) to become popular as a solution (i.e. beat out its competition) remains to be seen. Seems pretty far outside the scope of this thread, however. Ditto the never-ending Audyssey vs. Dirac Live vs. whatever room compensation scheme discussions. I have AVRs around the house with Audyssey, Dirac Live, MCACC, and YPAO at the moment. They all have their pros and cons. My main system is currently using Dirac Live for whatever that's worth.

Curious: Did Enrico or Brian ever confirm whether or not a DSP is inside a Rythmik sub? And if so what it is doing? My memory of discussions with Brian years ago are that it was all analog but I could well be wrong. Senility sucks, except I can re-read an old book or re-listen to some old music and it's all new again.
abd1 and healthnut like this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28052 of 28079 Unread 02-22-2017, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Wow, this thread has really wandered off... I actually did quite a bit of wading through the MQA papers and the looong article about it and generally understand the scheme. It's actually a fairly neat idea. Whether it sufficiently improves the sound and provides enough compression (loss, file size reduction) to become popular as a solution (i.e. beat out its competition) remains to be seen. Seems pretty far outside the scope of this thread, however. Ditto the never-ending Audyssey vs. Dirac Live vs. whatever room compensation scheme discussions. I have AVRs around the house with Audyssey, Dirac Live, MCACC, and YPAO at the moment. They all have their pros and cons. My main system is currently using Dirac Live for whatever that's worth.

Curious: Did Enrico or Brian ever confirm whether or not a DSP is inside a Rythmik sub? And if so what it is doing? My memory of discussions with Brian years ago are that it was all analog but I could well be wrong. Senility sucks, except I can re-read an old book or re-listen to some old music and it's all new again.
Reading your first paragraph made me consider replying "You're welcome to change the subject," but then you did.

No, I didn't see any official response to the DSP question, just speculation from guys like me.
post #28053 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Reading your first paragraph made me consider replying "You're welcome to change the subject," but then you did.

No, I didn't see any official response to the DSP question, just speculation from guys like me.
No DSP inside our subwoofers. Why? Here is Brian's explanation about this particular topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post
I know these guys you mentioned all have credits. But I also have credit. I have a Ph.D in electrical engineering. So you need to understand why I said what I said.

DSP is good, but is not perfect. There was a company that claimed they can make a NHT speaker generate a perfect impulse response. I visited the company's booth in CES and asked the engineer just one simple question, does that mean the true quality of the speakers is no longer important? He refused to answer my question in front of other customers and wanted me to go away. The truth is like this. First, all speakers have characteristics changing between small signals and large signals. What is a bad speaker? A bad speaker is a speaker exhibit wild difference between small signal characteristic and large signal characteristic. Does the DSP fix the small signal characteristic or the large signal characteristic? DSP is a linear operation, it cannot fix both. But servo can fix both. Secondly, you know the car you drive does age and its feel is difference when it is cold vs when it is hot. Why do you think the subwoofer is any different? When it ages, the frequency response also changes. Does the DSP correct that? No. When the voice coil in the subwoofer is cold vs when it is hot, the frequency response is also different. Some called it thermal compression. I prefer to call it thermal memory effect. What is memory effect? If you press a memory foam, you will notice the impress takes some time to recover. The thermal effect on voice coil works the same way. You will hear the term thermal stress very often to explain how a voice coil can be fried. Now think of how the thermal comes and goes in voice coil. Does DSP correct that? No. Some subwoofers have such as poor memory effect, people think the subwoofer sounds slow with respect to the other channels. That slowness is a profound characteristic. Otherwise, all we have to do is move the subwoofer closer to us to correct it. Lastly, we all heard the term "unit-to-unit" variation. I can even extend that to "batch-to-batch" variation. How many times people find the actual frequency response is different from published spec? In fact, these variations do exist and is the explanation of what had happened (assuming the manufacturer does not make up the spec in the first place) . How does DSP address that? It cannot. Do you really think they will give each batch a different DSP correction? That will only create more service problem. As a result, you will see some frequency response measured by third party that does not look like smooth curve at all. It is a clear indication that imperfect EQ has been applied and as a result wavy frequency response is measured, especially when the reviewer pick a random unit from the market place without manufacturer's acknowledgement. It is imperfect because the correction is only valid to the sample unit in engineer's hand. If they find the production units are different from the sample unit, what do you think they will do? You would have guessed it right. Ship it. The customers will buy that DSP rubber stamp. Servo is different. It is a closed loop feedback system. It takes the unit-to-unit/batch-to-batch variation into account and adjust the needed correction. So now you can guess how can DSP generate a perfect impulse response? It can, but only at one particular level that the engineer samples. That is the reason I was sent away because the R&D already know the limitation. If TV is selling that DSP to me, I will chanllenge the same thing. DSP only works with the assumption of a model. Who double check if the model is correct? If no one does, it is just a rubber stamp. Not only that, you know that two bad characteristics in the system, instead of just one.

Now in terms of amplifier class, we also use class-D amplifiers. So I don't think there is a problem with class D amps. But I do think the transformer based amplifiers will sound better in bass and the argument does not come from weight. It is more from the technical difference if you care to understand. In your transformer-based design, the wall power goes to the transformer first and is rectified and then pass to large power capacitors. These capacitors gets charged at a rate of 120hz. Now even though I say it is at 120hz, the actual charge time is only 1/10 of the 120hz (or about 1ms duration). For the other 9/10 of the 120hz cycle, the energy comes from the power caps themselvs only (as if the wall power is gone). Moreover, you notice that the bass frequency we talk about, say 20hz, takes a span of 6 charging cycle. This is how you notice the bass signal can have a different impact than a 1khz signal on the power supply becasue the latter can be completely covered in one charging cycle. Now the most important thing for us to take note is there is no resistance between the power capacitors and the power supply of the amplifier because it is just a wire connection. So the power amplifier can take whatever is in power capacitors without restriction. So much as that I can short the power amplifier's power supply to get the max amount of current. To be more precise, I can short the power amplifier supply and the power supply unit can still survive. Not only that, you can get an electrical arc if you do with a contact, confirming the current supply is almost infinite. Certainly we don't want to do it too many times. But in short it will not be catastrophic. Now for the SMPS (switching mode power supply), the transformer sits after the power capacitors. So when transfer energy from power capacitors to the amplifier it goes through these components: MOSFET, transformer, and then rectifier. All of these components create IR drop (current times resistance) which restricts the current flow. Now try to short the power supplier of SMPS. Not only you can destroy the SMPS, you will never see the same electric arc because the current is limited. In short, it just does not supply the current in a snap.
Here is the link to Brian's post back in 2015:

Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL & Sierra 2s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |

post #28054 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post
Funny, I was looking at your system in your signature and thinking that you have a really nice system (lurking for an XMC-1 myself), except that you should get rid of your RA subs and try some Rythmiks! Then I read your post and that's what you did! I had a RA BPS-212 and switched to a Rythmik LVX12 and the difference was astounding. So much so that I'm preferring listening to music in my theater room with the sub now compared to my 2-channel system, and movies are awesome. I'm in the middle of watching Sicario and the soundtrack in that movie just sucks you in and adds so much intensity. I love it. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
That's encouraging to hear! I'm hopeful I'll have a similar experience.

Emotiva XMC-1 and Emotiva XPR-5
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower and Horizon with RAAL
Atlantic Technology SR2200 Surrounds
2 x Reaction Audio Echo 18 XL
Panasonic 65" ZT60
Oppo BDP-105
post #28055 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
No DSP inside our subwoofers. Why? Here is Brian's explanation about this particular topic:

That is a good explanation why DSP can't accurately replace what an analog servo circuit does, and some of the cons of switch mode amps.

It doesn't quite say that DSP isn't used for the delay/phase or some of the filtering functions.
Also, it's not claiming that anything meaningful is lost in AD/DA conversions, just that linear DSP functions can't be as accurate as servo, which corrects for multiple complex and nonlinear phenomena.

Maybe it's a touchy topic, since some audiophiles are superstitious about DSP.
Maybe I'm just being thick, and it actually is all analog.
post #28056 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Well, my experience with DSP is as follows: without my MiniDSP 2x4 unbalanced, the SQ from my sub sounds awful and harsh with lots of uneven ringing due to large peaks and dips that are not smooth in nature and my room is completely untreated and in the dreaded square shape. I recently tested this by removing the MiniDSP from the signal chain and just connect the AVR to sub LFE input directly and run YPAO, disabling auto PEQ in the AVR after running YPAO. I watched a movie and the last time I was this unhappy with my bass was when I had the Dayton SUB-1200 and before I bought the MiniDSP. My AVR doesn't EQ the sub by the way, so the MiniDSP is solely responsible for that.

Now add in the MiniDSP and set target level automatically and auto calculate cut only filters that create a smooth response that adheres very closely to my desired target line without using too many filters or very high Q filters and the sound quality is suddenly sublime as if I had a different sub entirely.

So, DSP added to my LV12R in the form of simple sub PEQ of just 6 filters max is the difference between loving my sub and hating it. In fact, it makes me wonder if I had kept the SUB-1200 and used the MiniDSP if I would have needed to upgrade to the LV12R.

Now, don't get me wrong... the LV12R after sub PEQ is still clearly superior to the SUB-1200 after sub PEQ, namely in terms of low end impact, general power, and in terms of musicality BUT what prompted me to get the LV12R was actually more related to a lack of sub PEQ at the time because of my room's terrible acoustics. So, DSP was a real lifesaver, especially via REW because of how much control it gives you over the target curve, target level, filters applied, etc.

Now in terms of the DSP in the Yamaha AVR I have with respect to the auto PEQ YPAO does, that is a mixed bag as it mainly corrects the treble frequency response and alters the sound of the speakers in not necessarily good ways. I can either take it or leave it and I've left it off mostly since it doesn't improve much and what is does do isn't always subjectively pleasing. However, I'm sure the higher end versions of YPAO and Audyssey, etc fare better.

I'm intrigued by Audyssey XT32 and the new app, as I feel it will be worlds better than my very basic version of YPAO and I will be able to limit correction at at highest frequencies if desired and/or roll off the top end gradually to eliminate any harshness from my speakers.
post #28057 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Senility sucks, except I can re-read an old book or re-listen to some old music and it's all new again.
So I'm not completely alone in this!
post #28058 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 12:55 PM
Hype Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Quote:

That is a good explanation why DSP can't accurately replace what an analog servo circuit does, and some of the cons of switch mode amps.

It doesn't quite say that DSP isn't used for the delay/phase or some of the filtering functions.
Also, it's not claiming that anything meaningful is lost in AD/DA conversions, just that linear DSP functions can't be as accurate as servo, which corrects for multiple complex and nonlinear phenomena.

It makes sense to me that Servo is a more complete solution because it is adaptive. But I have always wondered, does this advantage in the amp/design reduce the need for a more capable driver? Does it benefit from a better driver?

All of the things Brian said hold and make sense, but I'm currious how they apply in the flip side. I have Funk subs, which have the best impulse response (at least as measured on databass) that I've seen. Would drivers like the funks still benefit from servo? I have no clue how much the DSP is responsible for that, but I know Funk uses a 64bit DSP and I believe is sampling at 96k which is well beyond most competitors. I can't help but wonder what a RythmikFunk sub could do :P.

Unrelated, the sealed 18 is still a ways out right? I'm tempted to buy one just to demo compared to my funks, and if I don't like it just gift it to my friend :P. I just really wanna play with a servo sub and see how it compares.
post #28059 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia0287 View Post
It makes sense to me that Servo is a more complete solution because it is adaptive. But I have always wondered, does this advantage in the amp/design reduce the need for a more capable driver? Does it benefit from a better driver?
Absolutely. The better the driver, the more accurate a servo system can be, all other things being equal.
post #28060 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Rythmik FV15HP volume knob

I just scored a Rythmik FV15HP. I set it up in a 2-channel system with line-in input. One port open. I have to set the volume knob to almost 3pm to feel the sub. can't feel much at 12. Is this normal?

I had a pair of svs sb12-nsd's in the system. I'll do a comparison later. At the moment I like the rythmik better. But then it's so big and heavy ... I also have a svs sb2000 in another room, I don't hear a difference between sb12-nsd and sb2000.
post #28061 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 410
most adjust the volume of their subs using an avr/integrated amp

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
post #28062 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
most adjust the volume of their subs using an avr/integrated amp
I have emotiva xda-2 gen2 (DAC/preamp) + parasound halo a23 ... I do use the xda-2 to adjust the volume ...
post #28063 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx2014 View Post
I have emotiva xda-2 gen2 (DAC/preamp) + parasound halo a23 ... I do use the xda-2 to adjust the volume ...
I have my sub at +2, avr/12,rumble off,ext fil off, damping low and Im pretty happy. avr is sub trim -4

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
post #28064 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Ed, just follow @laulau setup guide and you should be OK.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...7&d=1483483727
YES!!!!! - followed the guide and getting exactly the kind of improvement I was hoping for!!!!!! Thanks so much
post #28065 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
Quote:

No DSP is used for delay/phase, PEQ, crossover, low pass filter, frequency and damping functions. Everything in our subwoofers is done analog.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL & Sierra 2s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #28066 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hurray for analog! Says a guy doing it for decades now... Even better, despite encroaching senility, I remembered my conversation with Brian from years ago correctly.
Matt2026 likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #28067 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
New Subs

I stopped by the Rythmik shop to pick up another F15HP this afternoon. Didn't get a chance to see the new subs, but did see the shipping boxes and I can only say "wow!" We need Brian to post a picture of himself or Rick standing by the boxes. Some fortune customers are in for some big grins I think.

Yamaha CX-A5100 | Adcom GFA-555 + Outlaw Audio 5000 | Klipsch RP-160M (2) + FM8 (2) | Klipsch RP-450c | Klipsch RB-10 (2) | Polk Audio RC65i (2) | Rythmik F15HP (4)
post #28068 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by budeliao View Post
I stopped by the Rythmik shop to pick up another F15HP this afternoon. Didn't get a chance to see the new subs, but did see the shipping boxes and I can only say "wow!" We need Brian to post a picture of himself or Rick standing by the boxes. Some fortune customers are in for some big grins I think.

Lucky! I'm dying to order another FV15HP but my wife still complains about the first one! Haha

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
Plasma 50" TV: Samsung PN50C8000 — DLP Projector: Optoma GT1080
Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
Center: B&W CM Center S2 — Surrounds: B&W 685 S1 — Subwoofer: Rythmik FV15HP
Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15 — Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
post #28069 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Lucky! I'm dying to order another FV15HP but my wife still complains about the first one! Haha
is your basement big enough for conversion to a HT?

Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Surrounds - Don't ask lol
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
post #28070 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
is your basement big enough for conversion to a HT?

Yeah the unfinished half is earmarked for just that. Unfortunately I'm just starting a bathroom remodel. But this project is up next after that.

The Baturin Build
MrGrey likes this.

Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
post #28071 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Yeah the unfinished half is earmarked for just that. Unfortunately I'm just starting a bathroom remodel. But this project is up next after that.

The Baturin Build
Dude that's a prime space 😮 hopefully you can get at it some time this year.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
citsur86 likes this.

Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Surrounds - Don't ask lol
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
post #28072 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
You should buy an F28, then she will quit complaining the the FV15HP is to big...
citsur86 likes this.

Yamaha CX-A5100 | Adcom GFA-555 + Outlaw Audio 5000 | Klipsch RP-160M (2) + FM8 (2) | Klipsch RP-450c | Klipsch RB-10 (2) | Polk Audio RC65i (2) | Rythmik F15HP (4)
post #28073 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quick question. I've been having my LVX12 set half way, at 12 'o clock and a boost from the AVR. I read here or elsewhere that when set up that way the AVR amp is being used in that scenario. I set LVX at 1 'o clock and put the sub to a -1. The response is pretty similar, with the first set up giving a slight more bass than the new set up. My question is one set up more optimal than the other?

Sony XBR70 850
Pioneer SC-81
Martin Logan Motion 40's
Martin Logan Motion 8
Rythmik LVX12
post #28074 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budeliao View Post
You should buy an F28, then she will quit complaining the the FV15HP is to big...

It's not out of the question for the basement theater! Might want to leave the FV15HP upstairs for the Living Room Home Theater. Though not sure it'll ever get used ones the basement is done...

post #28075 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Well, my experience with DSP is as follows: without my MiniDSP 2x4 unbalanced, the SQ from my sub sounds awful and harsh with lots of uneven ringing due to large peaks and dips that are not smooth in nature and my room is completely untreated and in the dreaded square shape. I recently tested this by removing the MiniDSP from the signal chain and just connect the AVR to sub LFE input directly and run YPAO, disabling auto PEQ in the AVR after running YPAO. I watched a movie and the last time I was this unhappy with my bass was when I had the Dayton SUB-1200 and before I bought the MiniDSP. My AVR doesn't EQ the sub by the way, so the MiniDSP is solely responsible for that.

Now add in the MiniDSP and set target level automatically and auto calculate cut only filters that create a smooth response that adheres very closely to my desired target line without using too many filters or very high Q filters and the sound quality is suddenly sublime as if I had a different sub entirely.

So, DSP added to my LV12R in the form of simple sub PEQ of just 6 filters max is the difference between loving my sub and hating it. In fact, it makes me wonder if I had kept the SUB-1200 and used the MiniDSP if I would have needed to upgrade to the LV12R.

Now, don't get me wrong... the LV12R after sub PEQ is still clearly superior to the SUB-1200 after sub PEQ, namely in terms of low end impact, general power, and in terms of musicality BUT what prompted me to get the LV12R was actually more related to a lack of sub PEQ at the time because of my room's terrible acoustics. So, DSP was a real lifesaver, especially via REW because of how much control it gives you over the target curve, target level, filters applied, etc.

Now in terms of the DSP in the Yamaha AVR I have with respect to the auto PEQ YPAO does, that is a mixed bag as it mainly corrects the treble frequency response and alters the sound of the speakers in not necessarily good ways. I can either take it or leave it and I've left it off mostly since it doesn't improve much and what is does do isn't always subjectively pleasing. However, I'm sure the higher end versions of YPAO and Audyssey, etc fare better.

I'm intrigued by Audyssey XT32 and the new app, as I feel it will be worlds better than my very basic version of YPAO and I will be able to limit correction at at highest frequencies if desired and/or roll off the top end gradually to eliminate any harshness from my speakers.
I completely agree. I'm able to tame a huge peak and get a much nicer overall sound using the MiniDSP 2x4HD. Checkout these sweeps I just did with and without PEQ to prove the point.

Without Smoothing

And with some smoothing:

And that is just using these PEQ filters:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WithAndWithoutPEQ.png
Views:	263
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1989977   Click image for larger version

Name:	WithAndWithoutPEQSmoothing.png
Views:	258
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1989985   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	256
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1989993   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	255
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1990001  
PlasmaPZ80U and Jupiter7 like this.

Last edited by citsur86; 02-23-2017 at 09:58 PM.
post #28076 of 28079 Unread 02-23-2017, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No DSP is used for delay/phase, PEQ, crossover, low pass filter, frequency and damping functions. Everything in our subwoofers is done analog.
Well that settles that.
Maybe I'm the one getting senile.
post #28077 of 28079 Unread Yesterday, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Can anyone recommend an adjustable high pass filter to use with Rythmik sub? The only one I can find is the one sold by Hsu and it cost $100...

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/...ss-filter.html

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X6200W, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, 4 x C380LCR and 2 x Martin Logan Descent I
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Parasound Halo P5/A21, SVS SB13 Ultra and ATS Acoustics room treatments
post #28078 of 28079 Unread Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

An adjustable high-pass, not low pass, filter? You want to roll off the low end? You could use the rumble filter on the sub, or if you have an AVR they usually offer various ways to reduce the low end ranging from adjusting the EQ or target curve to various modes like night mode or similar that reduce the bass.

The ones I know about would probably be more than $100 so what is your budget? The inexpensive inline HPF's are low-order, fixed-frequency, and may not have the frequency you want.

What exactly are you trying to do?

post #28079 of 28079 Unread Today, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia0287 View Post
All of the things Brian said hold and make sense, but I'm currious how they apply in the flip side. I have Funk subs, which have the best impulse response (at least as measured on databass) that I've seen. Would drivers like the funks still benefit from servo? I have no clue how much the DSP is responsible for that, but I know Funk uses a 64bit DSP and I believe is sampling at 96k which is well beyond most competitors. I can't help but wonder what a RythmikFunk sub could do :P.

Unrelated, the sealed 18 is still a ways out right? I'm tempted to buy one just to demo compared to my funks, and if I don't like it just gift it to my friend :P. I just really wanna play with a servo sub and see how it compares.
Hey old buddy! I call dibs on that gift. 🤗

I don't know much about the Funk amplifier design, but based on Ricci's reviews on DB the Funk should outperform a comparable Rythmik (or any other ID brand) and is priced accordingly.

While I question what Brian wrote about SMPS being less capable in regards to mid-bass [in another thread], I too have the desire to try out a Rythmik sub.

Unfortunately the linear power supplies and aluminum drivers increase equal heavy subs. My media room is upstairs and I am partially disabled with back issues.

Are there any Rythmik owners here in Southern California? If so, please reach out to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub