Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 945 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3420Likes

post #28321 of 28327 Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Get Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL. I know a guy who had Paradigm Signature S8s and after listening the Sierra Towers with RAAL sold the S8s in a bit without any remorse. I got mines just two months ago and my only regret is no getting them sooner!!
i saw you mentioned in an earlier post that you run those. what kind of power do they require? any pro's/con's that you can throw at me is much appreciated in my search for an upgrade. i guess i'm asking about speaker recommendations on this sub because the bass that these rythmik subs produce is the tightest & deepest i've ever felt. naturally you guys might have the same minimum standards for your main listening speakers

jbl l100t3 (x2), rythmik fv15hp (x2), phase linear 700b, samsung ln52b750, sony str-db930
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28322 of 28327 Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
i saw you mentioned in an earlier post that you run those. what kind of power do they require? any pro's/con's that you can throw at me is much appreciated in my search for an upgrade. i guess i'm asking about speaker recommendations on this sub because the bass that these rythmik subs produce is the tightest & deepest i've ever felt. naturally you guys might have the same minimum standards for your main listening speakers
The Sierra Towers with RAAL are easy to drive. I'm running the pair of Sierra Towers + Horizon Center with an Emotiva XPA-3. I have a pair of Sierra 2s as surrounds and I'm driving them with an Emotiva XPA-200.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL & Sierra 2s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #28323 of 28327 Old Today, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
installing moldings & priming the walls for paint today--can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel! i know this is a rythmik subwoofer thread, however if anyone has any recommendations for a pair of main l/r floor standing speakers i'm open to suggestions (~$2-4k). i'm thinking of upgrading my hand-me-down jbl's to a pair of aperion verus grand tower II's. i worry that they won't play as loud as i'm used to but the jbl's don't sound that good, they just turn up loud. my father has a pair of paradigm signature s8's and it leaves me wanting a lot more. the only cross shopping i'm doing is the svs ultra towers, and certain golden ear models. i want something that will crank without ear fatigue like i have now.
I got a chance to hear some Sierra towers with RAAL tweeters about a month ago.
I agree they are really special. I loved the RAAL tweeter - awesome sound.
The bass is lacking, but if you plan to use a sub with them, that should help.

Considering that you are looking for something that will crank, though, I'm not sure that Sierra towers are the best choice for you.
Some JTR 210RTs are probably ideal for what you're looking for, although it's slightly above your budget.
Read up on them, and you'll get the idea.

The coax compression driver in the JTR 3-ways is something special, too. It's amazingly clean and non-fatiguing like the RAAL, but with a different league of dynamics and output capability.

To quantify the difference here:
Sierra Tower sensitivity: 89db, max power: 300w RMS
JTR 210RT sensitivity: 95db, max power: 2000w RMS
So, quick math says that's 14db difference in output capability.

Last edited by rcohen; Today at 12:26 AM.

post #28324 of 28327 Old Today, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I'd also take a look at the new Tekton Double Impacts. These are exceptionally dynamic, efficient and reproduce lots of low bass. I think they'd make ideal HT speakers, particularly for action/adventure, sci-fi fare. The designer, Eric Alexander (30 years a speaker designer, most notably with Aperion) wanted to create the virtues of professional speakers with an audiophile signature, and by all accounts, he has succeeded brilliantly. I plan to audition these from a local owner next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #28325 of 28327 Old Today, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I'd also take a look at the new Tekton Double Impacts. These are exceptionally dynamic, efficient and reproduce lots of low bass. I think they'd make ideal HT speakers, particularly for action/adventure, sci-fi fare. The designer, Eric Alexander (30 years a speaker designer, most notably with Aperion) wanted to create the virtues of professional speakers with an audiophile signature, and by all accounts, he has succeeded brilliantly. I plan to audition these from a local owner next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow...that's a lot of tweeters. That's one way to deal with the limited output capability of conventional tweeters, although it has downsides. This one has multiple drivers with horizontal as well as vertical spacing, which raises additional concerns beyond their past models.

There have been several shootout meet ups on avsforum comparing a lot of these speakers. That includes JTR, Ascend, and Tektons. (Not that model of Tekton, though.)

It makes excellent reading, where lots of forum members share their impressions from direct comparisons.

Edit: I just came across some Reddit commentary on the Double Impact, including some discussion of tweeters less than 1/2 wavelength apart.
https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/...eeters_batman/

Again, the shootouts are great to give you the net results of various designs in direct comparisons.

From that Reddit:
Quote:
The idea of an array of tweeters is as old as array of woofers, which you see in use on every MTM design. Problem is that each tweeter has to be within half of the shortest wavelength is produces to another tweeter, center to center. So less than an inch, which is really hard to do with the magnet behind it, without horn lenses. Otherwise you get combing effects that are noticeable when you move your head around and shift around on the couch.
There have been tests (builders doing a write up with measurements and impressions) to see if the circle pattern of tweeters can negate that interference but the answer is no, it cannot. I've seen a pair tested that looked just like this - in fact it's featured on PE as a project. The conclusion was that it was a nice try but no cigar. Using multiple tweeters is not a new idea, and there is a reason you don't see any reputable brands using such configurations, without horn lenses or some other way to keep within the boundaries of array theory.
In this case they look about 2.5 inches apart, so you can expect cancellation starting as low as 4k, or wherever the tweeter starts above that, since it's a 3 way.
Also some good discussion here on AVS:
Tekton Impact and Double Impact

Last edited by rcohen; Today at 08:18 AM.
post #28326 of 28327 Old Today, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Odd query: are the dual driver (L22, F25) loopbacks independent, or a summed response?
post #28327 of 28327 Old Today, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
Odd query: are the dual driver (L22, F25) loopbacks independent, or a summed response?
Everything I have read indicates that the servo feedback is independent with separate amplification per driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub