Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 960 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3644Likes
post #28771 of 28783 Unread Today, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Originally Posted by tvuong
I think the reason is that low damping has more ringing which can be translated to more 'full body' sound whereas high damping provide a leaner sound which might not be as good for HT?
Your extension in room probably goes down to 10hz with hi damping if you get 12hz with low.

Speaking of this, has anyone ever measured these differences between the settings and then viewed the waterfall plots? If there is a difference in the ringing then we should be able to see it there.
When I run my sweeps tonight - I will also create and compare waterfall charts. Mine might not be the best examples though as I already know I have bad to severe ringing as is due to my room layout. I will post these in the REW thread, but I will link to it from here.

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
Plasma 50" TV: Samsung PN50C8000 — DLP Projector: Optoma GT1080
Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
Center: B&W CM Center S2 — Surrounds: B&W 685 S1 — Subwoofer: Rythmik FV15HP
Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15 — Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
Check out my most recent subwoofer frequency response (1 vs. 2 port) and full system response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28772 of 28783 Unread Today, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
When I run my sweeps tonight - I will also create and compare waterfall charts. Mine might not be the best examples though as I already know I have bad to severe ringing as is due to my room layout. I will post these in the REW thread, but I will link to it from here.
That would be great. Thank you!
post #28773 of 28783 Unread Today, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2785 Post(s)
Liked: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
@gwsat , a change on your signature is in order
Did it one minute ago, Enrico. Thanks for the reminder. I've been so far up in subwoofer heaven, I forget to take care of mundane nitty gritty like updating my sig.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR

post #28774 of 28783 Unread Today, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
Still waiting on my F8 pair, but I did get my new front speakers set up. I'm using PSB Imagine Mini's on floor stands to make room for the subwoofers on either side of my entertainment center. I am surprised how much I like the "mini"malist appearance of the new speakers, especially considering I have always had large towers (Canton Reference 5DC, most recently) up front.

I think I will be placing the F8's behind each floor stand and just wondering if anyone sees this as a problem? The posts of the floor stands are tapered, being narrowest at the back side (to match the shape of the Mini's) and widest (about 3") in the middle. I will likely place the subwoofers partly over top of the floor stand base, such that the subwoofer front baffle will only be behind the Mini front baffle by about 6".

As an aside, I am a little disappointed with Ascend Acoustics. I ordered on Tuesday and received an order confirmation immediately, but I have not received any type of shipping confirmation even after sending an e-mail inquiry yesterday.
Your PSB Imagine Mini front speakers are not much smaller than my Hsu HB-1s. I have had them for years and love them. They have enough low end output to fool my Yamaha RX-A3060's YPAO EQ utility into reporting them as "Large" speakers. They have integrated perfectly with my new and quite large FV18 subwoofers. I suspect that your PSB's will please you.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #28775 of 28783 Unread Today, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 14660
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Did it one minute ago, Enrico. Thanks for the reminder. I've been so far up in subwoofer heaven, I forget to take care of mundane nitty gritty like updating my sig.
I would put the subs in bold, at least for a while... [Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers]
gwsat likes this.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000 & BD-F7500; R&LRS/L/R SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH & SS Polk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nakamichi RE-2, CDC-4A, CR7A, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #28776 of 28783 Unread Today, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Thanks gwsat... I have been watching your recent subwoofer venture and find it very intriguing and entertaining.

I've not run Audyssey yet and won't do so until I receive the F8's, but I suspect the Mini's will also get set as Large. I first heard them at a local audio store about 5 years ago and could not believe they were not running a sub. I have the smallest PSB Image monitors as my office desk speakers and really love their detail and clarity. The Mini's are about the same size but I think they have a "bigger" voice. I'm hoping I will be happy with the Mini / F8 combo as I need to stop spending money on audio... at least for a little while.

BTW... I agree with the recommendations to move your speakers forward. If you notice in my photo, I have arranged the Synchrony center channel so that the front baffle is actually a bit proud of the front face of my entertainment center. If it were sitting back of the front face even just a smidge, it would sound muddy... and it doesn't matter how good the center channel.

Sean
post #28777 of 28783 Unread Today, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
Thanks gwsat... I have been watching your recent subwoofer venture and find it very intriguing and entertaining.

I've not run Audyssey yet and won't do so until I receive the F8's, but I suspect the Mini's will also get set as Large. I first heard them at a local audio store about 5 years ago and could not believe they were not running a sub. I have the smallest PSB Image monitors as my office desk speakers and really love their detail and clarity. The Mini's are about the same size but I think they have a "bigger" voice. I'm hoping I will be happy with the Mini / F8 combo as I need to stop spending money on audio... at least for a little while.

BTW... I agree with the recommendations to move your speakers forward. If you notice in my photo, I have arranged the Synchrony center channel so that the front baffle is actually a bit proud of the front face of my entertainment center. If it were sitting back of the front face even just a smidge, it would sound muddy... and it doesn't matter how good the center channel.
My in-ceiling speakers are pretty big too so YPAO always sets them as Large. Brian, though, advised me to reset them to small with an 80Hz crossover. I did that and the quality of the playback from some of my favorite soundtracks, e.g. Hacksaw Ridge and La La Land, was thrilling.

As noted in earlier posts, I will consider moving my speakers but not until after the FV18s have been thoroughly broken in. When I first ran YPAO again yesterday afternoon I screwed up the description of my system and went through hell before finally getting everything back where it belonged. I'm not ready to undertake all that again just now, although it might help.

Even as it is my system has never, ever sounded anywhere near as good as it does now. My son in law is another home theater guy and more of a purist than I am, though, so he my end up convincing me to change things around.

post #28778 of 28783 Unread Today, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
Couple of quick comments:

Waterfall plots might not show much since the room has so much influence for most of us. Impulse response might show a little more but I've always measured it with a mic right at the speaker to (try to) take the room out of the measurement. Once you know what to listen for the difference is subtle but fairly easy to hear, at least IME/IMO.

The vast majority of SPL meters are C-weighted at best and thus roll off below 30 Hz. Not the best thing for measuring your sub's output except up around the crossover frequency (assuming it is above 30 Hz).

FWIWFM - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #28779 of 28783 Unread Today, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 493
I saw some pics of dr tooles new setup at home and he has his revel salon 2's (22k) mounted on wall inverted. and his center is in a cubby hole. pics can be seen in the revel or m2 threads. posted a few days ago...just shows there is no right way for all.

Official JBL Synthesis / Pro / Revel Home Theater Thread
gwsat likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
post #28780 of 28783 Unread Today, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I saw some pics of dr tooles new setup at home and he has his revel salon 2's (22k) mounted on wall inverted. and his center is in a cubby hole. pics can be seen in the revel or m2 threads. posted a few days ago...just shows there is no right way for all.

Official JBL Synthesis / Pro / Revel Home Theater Thread
Very interesting! It's fun to see how the big boys do it.

post #28781 of 28783 Unread Today, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Took some REW measurements today in my new place and getting a LOT of room gain below 18Hz down to 5Hz... I have a lot of work to do but it sounds good so far. Had to use the PEQ in my F12SEs for the first time in 7 years to take care of a nasty peak around 55Hz. An Emotiva XMC-1 with Full Dirac Live is the next purchase as soon PayPal Credit is pay off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REW 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2107569  
gwsat and torii like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL & Sierra 2s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #28782 of 28783 Unread Today, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
My in-ceiling speakers are pretty big too so YPAO always sets them as Large. Brian, though, advised me to reset them to small with an 80Hz crossover. I did that and the quality of the playback from some of my favorite soundtracks, e.g. Hacksaw Ridge and La La Land, was thrilling.

As noted in earlier posts, I will consider moving my speakers but not until after the FV18s have been thoroughly broken in. When I first ran YPAO again yesterday afternoon I screwed up the description of my system and went through hell before finally getting everything back where it belonged. I'm not ready to undertake all that again just now, although it might help.

Even as it is my system has never, ever sounded anywhere near as good as it does now. My son in law is another home theater guy and more of a purist than I am, though, so he my end up convincing me to change things around.
I don't think moving your speakers forward will cause any major issues with YPAO. It will or should improve the sound stage and imaging though.

I don't think the subs need breaking in either. Yes, I'm on that side of the fence.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #28783 of 28783 Unread Today, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 493
drive em like you stole them before warranty is up

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub