Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread - Page 988 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4122Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #29611 of 29635 Unread Today, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 6,875
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Does that mean we can possibly expect your full review/report in a month?
Probably not that quick. I'm working on the first draft of something else now, and I'll be traveling for a week in June, so my time will be a bit limited. I do have it hooked and running though, so I have started jotting down some notes at least.
Marc Alexander and gadgtfreek like this.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #29612 of 29635 Unread Today, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Timothy1180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: California
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I'll post some pics this weekend. Hopefully my wife lets me move them around.

We are moving in next 60days. My back has been hurting a lot!! So I might just leave them in the boxes. 600lbs of subs.
Marc Alexander and jamiebosco like this.
Timothy1180 is online now  
post #29613 of 29635 Unread Today, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,858
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
I'll post some pics this weekend. Hopefully my wife lets me move them around.

We are moving in next 60days. My back has been hurting a lot!! So I might just leave them in the boxes. 600lbs of subs.
What kind of spl do 6 FV15HP's produce at 20Hz and 10Hz?

What is your in room -3dB point with 1 port 14Hz high damping rumble filter off?

Curious...
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
 
post #29614 of 29635 Unread Today, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,858
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Does that mean we can possibly expect your full review/report in a month?
Probably not that quick. I'm working on the first draft of something else now, and I'll be traveling for a week in June, so my time will be a bit limited. I do have it hooked and running though, so I have started jotting down some notes at least.
Looking forward to the review. Especially because I don't recall you reviewing a large ported Rythmik unless I missed something.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #29615 of 29635 Unread Today, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,858
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
@gwsat what are the current settings on your FV18s? I finally have some time to do some serious listening/testing.
Are you a reviewer of subs/speakers? Or is the FV18 for personal use? Just wondering based on your posts about the FV18.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #29616 of 29635 Unread Today, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Timothy1180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: California
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Don't have all 6 together yet but I'll let you know. Even know I'll never run them at 14/high with rumble filter off.
Timothy1180 is online now  
post #29617 of 29635 Unread Today, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,970
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Think I had a breakthrough with the subs tonight. I plugged both line in slots in both subs and set crossover on sub to 60hz (AVR set to 80hz for tactiles sake). I read the crossover can cause boominess. Made it a bit better but boominess was still there. Then I figured I'd try to set phase to 180. Eureka! I guess the VSX-44 was setting phase the wrong way because after doing that the loud muffled boominess is all but gone! I'm left with the clean punchy articulate rumble bass. Will have to watch more content but I can already tell it's much improved.
Glad to hear it is improved. This is with or without the minidsp? Setting the sub to 60hz will loose some of the good LFE content above it, I am not sure I want to do that myself.
tvuong is offline  
post #29618 of 29635 Unread Today, 11:01 AM
Member
 
Schrodinger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Looking forward to the review. Especially because I don't recall you reviewing a large ported Rythmik unless I missed something.
He Reviewed the Salk/Rythmik sub, which is very close in performance to the FV15HP:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

He also reviewed the L12R, which could be a big ported sub (depending on what you think "Big" is):

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

He also reviewed the sealed F8 and E15hp:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...f8-review.html

Rythmik E15 vs SVS SB13 Ultra

That's all that I know of in terms of Rythmik. I follow his reviews closely, since I am planning a dedicated theater room very close to the size of his room and he goes through things thouroughly with both music and movies: output, impact, detail, etc. I'm looking forward to reading his thoughts on the new FV18.
Schrodinger23 is offline  
post #29619 of 29635 Unread Today, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 6,875
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger23 View Post
He Reviewed the Salk/Rythmik sub, which is very close in performance to the FV15HP:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

He also reviewed the L12R, which could be a big ported sub (depending on what you think "Big" is):

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

He also reviewed the sealed F8 and E15hp:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...f8-review.html

Rythmik E15 vs SVS SB13 Ultra

That's all that I know of in terms of Rythmik. I follow his reviews closely, since I am planning a dedicated theater room very close to the size of his room and he goes through things thouroughly with both music and movies: output, impact, detail, etc. I'm looking forward to reading his thoughts on the new FV18.
Thank you for the kind words, and the links to my Rythmik articles! You hit them all - that's the full catalog.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #29620 of 29635 Unread Today, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,858
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Looking forward to the review. Especially because I don't recall you reviewing a large ported Rythmik unless I missed something.
He Reviewed the Salk/Rythmik sub, which is very close in performance to the FV15HP:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

He also reviewed the L12R, which could be a big ported sub (depending on what you think "Big" is):

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

He also reviewed the sealed F8 and E15hp:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...f8-review.html

Rythmik E15 vs SVS SB13 Ultra

That's all that I know of in terms of Rythmik. I follow his reviews closely, since I am planning a dedicated theater room very close to the size of his room and he goes through things thouroughly with both music and movies: output, impact, detail, etc. I'm looking forward to reading his thoughts on the new FV18.
I missed that first one; have read the rest, especially the LV12R one, since I got that largely because of the review and how it outperformed the SVS PB-1000/SB-1000 reviews by him.

Yeah, the LV12R is pretty big, more than twice the L12/F12 but the 15 and 18 ported models are truly huge and 2-3x the weight.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #29621 of 29635 Unread Today, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Glad to hear it is improved. This is with or without the minidsp? Setting the sub to 60hz will loose some of the good LFE content above it, I am not sure I want to do that myself.


This is with the miniDSP and boost still.
citsur86 is online now  
post #29622 of 29635 Unread Today, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 8,436
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
This is with the miniDSP and boost still.
What frequencies are you boosting to the subs? I do some boosting for TTs but always use cut-only for sub PEQ filters. Cut-only generally increases subwoofer headroom while boosts eat into it.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #29623 of 29635 Unread Today, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
What frequencies are you boosting to the subs? I do some boosting for TTs but always use cut-only for sub PEQ filters. Cut-only generally increases subwoofer headroom while boosts eat into it.


I'm just adding 12db of gain to the outputs on the miniDSP 2x4 HD because I was only getting .5V out of the outputs at reference MV. So not boosting through PEQ, just Output gain. Seemed like the 1.5V coming into the miniDSP 2x4 HD was being split by the 3 outputs being used.

I am using PEQ to input 1 which routes to outputs 1 and 2 that go to the FV15HPs. There is no boost in the PEQ filtering now.

Although I thought I got it dialed in well yesterday, I was disheartened today when I threw some other demo scenes up only to go back to hearing the very boomy sound. I've also have a weird freak summer cold for about a week so I wonder if it could just be some stuffiness causing it. I probably sound like a crazy person flip flopping in opinion daily but there really are times where I'm listening and have a big smile on my face and other times where my ears are literally hurting. Been trying to figure out what to do all day. I'm considering returning the second FV15HP and taking the hit on the shipping, then getting an upgraded AVR. I'm really not sure if the second sub is helping at this point and if anything, think it might be hurting my SQ because of my room and limited placement options.

Last edited by citsur86; Today at 07:49 PM.
citsur86 is online now  
post #29624 of 29635 Unread Today, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Timothy1180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: California
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 114
If you want a avr I'm selling my denon 4200. I'd give you a very fair deal.
Timothy1180 is online now  
post #29625 of 29635 Unread Today, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 8,436
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
I'm really not sure if the second sub is helping at this point and if anything, think it might be hurting my SQ because of my room and limited placement options.
With them stacked it should not be hurting. Make sure they are getting identical signals and are setup identically. Measure with REW and generate waterfall to check decay. did you try 14/Mid yet. Low damping is boomier.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #29626 of 29635 Unread Today, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
With them stacked it should not be hurting. Make sure they are getting identical signals and are setup identically. Measure with REW and generate waterfall to check decay. did you try 14/Mid yet. Low damping is boomier.


Yeah actually today I've been running 2 port, 14/mid. Actually busting out REW now. Will post those graphs soon.
citsur86 is online now  
post #29627 of 29635 Unread Today, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
If you want a avr I'm selling my denon 4200. I'd give you a very fair deal.


Thanks @Timothy1180 but I need a 9.2 channel AVR. Have any of those lying around?
citsur86 is online now  
post #29628 of 29635 Unread Today, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,970
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Go to your local Audio store, buy a x4300 Denon, leave your minidsp out and run Audyssey calibration on your subs using both sub outs of the X4300. Let subeqHT does its thing, bump your trims up and see if you are happy. If not, return it free of charge. I really think the boominess you have been experiencing is from your minidsp. Have you even tried what I suggested? Leave the minidsp out that is?
jamiebosco likes this.
tvuong is offline  
post #29629 of 29635 Unread Today, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Timothy1180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: California
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
If you want a avr I'm selling my denon 4200. I'd give you a very fair deal.


Thanks @Timothy1180 but I need a 9.2 channel AVR. Have any of those lying around?
Denon 4200 processes 9.2. Only has 7 internal though. Be great time to get power amp. I'm going to get a onkyo rz1100 for a great deal. Might be replacing Yamaha 3060 in my bedroom. Interested in Yamaha?
Timothy1180 is online now  
post #29630 of 29635 Unread Today, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
With them stacked it should not be hurting. Make sure they are getting identical signals and are setup identically. Measure with REW and generate waterfall to check decay. did you try 14/Mid yet. Low damping is boomier.
Here are ones I just ran with 1 port mode, 14/mid.



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR.png
Views:	49
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2157578   Click image for larger version

Name:	WF.png
Views:	49
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	2157586  
citsur86 is online now  
post #29631 of 29635 Unread Today, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Go to your local Audio store, buy a x4300 Denon, leave your minidsp out and run Audyssey calibration on your subs using both sub outs of the X4300. Let subeqHT does its thing, bump your trims up and see if you are happy. If not, return it free of charge. I really think the boominess you have been experiencing is from your minidsp. Have you even tried what I suggested? Leave the minidsp out that is?
Here is the FR and Waterfall without going through the DSP, just right to the sub.



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FRnoMiniDSP.png
Views:	50
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	2157594   Click image for larger version

Name:	WFNoMiniDSP.png
Views:	50
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	2157602  
citsur86 is online now  
post #29632 of 29635 Unread Today, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 8,436
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Here is the FR and Waterfall without going through the DSP, just right to the sub.



It looks like you do have more ringing around 50Hz & 70Hz through the MiniDSP. How are you setting up the MiniDSP? Via the guide? Manually or via REW?

I definitely believe Audyssey XT32 SubEQ will be an upgrade over your current sub response. The MiniDSP does have good resale value (I actually could use it).
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #29633 of 29635 Unread Today, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
It looks like you do have more ringing around 50Hz & 70Hz through the MiniDSP. How are you setting up the MiniDSP? Via the guide? Manually or via REW?

I definitely believe Audyssey XT32 SubEQ will be an upgrade over your current sub response. The MiniDSP does have good resale value (I actually could use it).
I don't think the miniDSP 2x4-HD is causing issues - I changed a few other things between those runs too like Line In to LFE In. Anyways, I decided to give separating the subs another go. Here is a question that its at the root of one of my deep misunderstandings in this entire process. To ask the question, I'll show this...

The Initial measurement with no PEQ, no EQ, and 200Hz Xover looked like this:



There's that 30-60Hz 20db dip again! I turned both subs in all different directions and this was the best it got. I thought to myself, even though its basically forbidden to boost a PEQ filter so much, why not give it a shot?

I arrived at this EQ filters. I am using REW to generate the filters, but the two boost filters here I added myself:



This generated this response.


Looks good, but sounds, well, crazy in sweep form. Here is the audio. Sounds like an explosion is happening midway through. How does that explosion generate a semi flat FR? It doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CrazyOriginal.png
Views:	36
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2157610   Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCrazyPEQ.png
Views:	7
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	2157618   Click image for larger version

Name:	FRCrazyPEQ.png
Views:	36
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	2157626   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	2157634  

Last edited by citsur86; Today at 09:36 PM.
citsur86 is online now  
post #29634 of 29635 Unread Today, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread

I may have answered my question. I sat in the place where the mic was and to my amazement, I don't hear the explosion sound, just a pretty flat sounding sweep. My conclusions are 1) My MLP is probably one of worst places in room for where subs are. 2) My first floor has many reflections and lots of ringing that causes the boomy sound I hear. With a second FV15HP, I probably just amplified what was already there.

Last edited by citsur86; Today at 10:46 PM.
citsur86 is online now  
post #29635 of 29635 Unread Today, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 8,436
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
I may have answered my question. I sat in the place where the mic was and to my amazement, I don't hear the explosion sound, just a pretty flat sounding sweep. My conclusions are 1) My MLP is probably one of worst places in room for where subs are. 2) My first floor has many reflections and lots of ringing that causes the boomy sound I hear. With a second FV15HP, I probably just amplified what was already there.
It appears your room is a bit gnarly.

My top goal when positioning multiple subs is not to get the flatest FR right away but the most consistent response across multiple listening positions. EQ or Audyssey is always my last step (before rinse & repeat if necessary). I look at the sweeps one sub at a time then see how well the combined response compares to the predicted.

I think you are on the right track and getting close. Worry about the TTs after you are satisfied with the subs.
Marc Alexander is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
f12g subwoofer , integra dtc 9.8 , lv12r , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , servo sub



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off