AVS Forum banner
5M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  TurboGuard 
#1 ·
 http://www.rythmikaudio.com/index.html

There never seems to be an 'Official' Rythmik thread so....

Hopefully members can post here and representatives from Rythmik (Brian) can more readily answer questions that are normally strewn about in many threads.

Rythmik now offers complete subwoofers as well as the traditional kits.

Maybe Brian will subscribe.

See less See more
#17,141 ·
F8 is available now for black oak/black matte/piano black finish now. The regular price is $849 for black matte/oak and $949 for piano black. Shipping is $49 extra. We will come up with a reasonable promotional price this weekend.

F8 subs are for those who wants to crossover to higher frequency point (up to 250hz). For that reason, we recommend two subs in stereo setup. It is a good music and HT subs. For HT application, we recommend to use the HT position on bass extension switch. It is an excellent replacement for lifestyle subs. It can be placed on the floor sideway.

#17,142 ·
F8 is available now for black oak/black matte/piano black finish now. The regular price is $849 for black matte/oak and $949 for piano black. Shipping is $49 extra. We will come up with a reasonable promotional price this weekend.

F8 subs are for those who wants to crossover to higher frequency point (up to 250hz). For that reason, we recommend two subs in stereo setup. It is a good music and HT subs. For HT application, we recommend to use the HT position on bass extension switch. It is an excellent replacement for lifestyle subs. It can be placed on the floor sideway.
Brian,

Do you have any pictures?

#17,143 ·
#17,144 · (Edited)
Oh dude I'm in the same boat. She thinks the TV speakers sound just fine. I can really only blast it when she is cleaning around the house or isn't there for some reason.
To be fair to her .. I have to admit that half thatt time is when she wants to sleep at night and she hates the feel of a vibrating bed caused from a sub two floors down :p

#17,146 ·

I just went on the Rythmik web page to look at the specs. I guess it has been posted yet? Do you have any specs to give us :) ?

#17,147 ·
I just went on the Rythmik web page to look at the specs. I guess it has been posted yet? Do you have any specs to give us :) ?
We will post pictures and specs during the weekend. Brian is working on the website update already. Pictures and specs will be posted in our Facebook page as well.

https://www.facebook.com/rythmikaudio

#17,148 ·
^^^ Jedi what are your settings set to on the FV15HP's? They should be providing a lot more output over the D15's. Look at the below chart from Rythmik's website.

F12: 0db (baseline)
F15: +2db D15: +2db
LV12R: +2.5db
E15HP: + 3.5db
F15HP: +4db
FV15: +7db
FV15HP: +9.5db
F25: +8db

Rumble filter off, 1 port open. 14hz setting. Gain matched.

subjectively they do seem to have more output at higher frequencies. But without the D15's in the setup I don't get the tactile bass.

So in my short experimentation.

2 D15's not co-located, one up front, one behind MLP (couch). I get tactile feedback (couch pressurized and vibration) (this is carpet over concrete slab.

2 F15HP's, in the same positions, I get more upper freq bass volume etc But no rumble. very little tactile feed back.

All 4 of them and it's a sonic boom.

It's odd to be honest. I'm going to have to do more testing.

I really need to get a laptop and REW. But i'm spent right now. Lol

#17,151 ·
Normally I would agree but in this case he put the new subs in place of the old and feels less bass in the couch if I understand his post. Cancellation, maybe, but sub waves are very long and swapping subs in the same place should exhibit the same in-room steady-state response. That is why I suggested coupling. Maybe if he fired the new ones into the couch...

#17,152 · (Edited)
Rumble filter off, 1 port open. 14hz setting. Gain matched.

subjectively they do seem to have more output at higher frequencies. But without the D15's in the setup I don't get the tactile bass.

So in my short experimentation.

2 D15's not co-located, one up front, one behind MLP (couch). I get tactile feedback (couch pressurized and vibration) (this is carpet over concrete slab.

2 F15HP's, in the same positions, I get more upper freq bass volume etc But no rumble. very little tactile feed back.

All 4 of them and it's a sonic boom.

It's odd to be honest. I'm going to have to do more testing.

I really need to get a laptop and REW. But i'm spent right now. Lol
Do you have the dampening set to low? I've experimented back and forth and low provides that full body bass for movies. Also, you said you boosted the sub channel +6db. What is your gain set to on the subs themselves? When you initially ran Audyssey did you have a port plugged and dampening set to low? Try your mic positions like this focusing on the MLP. I used to place the mic all over and just lay it on the couch cushions. I now have a boom mic stand, so the mic can be placed at precisely ear level and I follow this diagram. It made a huge difference for me. If you don't already have a boom mic stand you can get one off of Amazon for like $25 bucks shipped and the adapter to be able to mate the Audyssey mic to it is only like $5 bucks I think.

Attachments

#17,153 · (Edited)
Yes, after audyssey it should.

The aprox. equivalent of 115db at 0MV for your sub is that your SPL meter should read ~75db when playing the AVR's test tone. Your speakers should also read ~75db as well.

This would mean that your AVR has properly calibrated your subs to reach 115db at reference, and 105db for your speakers. Bass management can of course raise the output demands for your sub from 115db to ~121db IIRC, but the sub channel by themselves should be 115db.

Download an SPL meter app for your phone, and try it out. Or as I suggested before, use REW...or better yet, do both!
@dominguez1. I verified my speakers and subs level with both REW spl meter and my digital RS spl meter. After running my avr test tone at reference volume at MLP, all speakers are about 78-79db, my subs were at 70db. These are the levels Audessey set them. I then upped my subs 5db. This is the reason almost everyone bumps up the sub trims after Audessey as It actually calibrates the subs 5db lower than it should be as is in my case. So all this time, I was thinking I was running my subs 5db hot, I was running them just at reference. My subs still show ~ 110-112db at reference volume in REW, so I am still 3-5 db lower than should be. I guess it's the issue with REW and/or Umik-1 mic.

#17,154 ·
@dominguez1. I verified my speakers and subs level with both REW spl meter and my digital RS spl meter. After running my avr test tone at reference volume at MLP, all speakers are about 78-79db, my subs were at 70db. These are the levels Audessey set them. I then upped my subs 5db. This is the reason almost everyone bumps up the sub trims after Audessey as It actually calibrates the subs 5db lower than it should be as is in my case. So all this time, I was thinking I was running my subs 5db hot, I was running them just at reference. My subs still show ~ 110-112db at reference volume in REW, so I am still 3-5 db lower than should be. I guess it's the issue with REW and/or Umik-1 mic.
Actually, I don't think there's an issue at all with REW or the umik.

Your sub level should be AT LEAST equal to the rest of the speakers if you want reference playback at -0MV. You said that you upped your sub trim to 75db, but the rest of the speakers are still at 78-79.This is the reason why you're only getting 110-112 at reference from your subs.

I would either up your sub level by 3-4 so it's even with your speakers, or take your speakers down 3-4 (make sure you decrement by the same db for all of your speakers to keep Audyssey's relative measurements in tact.

Do you run Dynamic EQ? Flat with Dynamic EQ should be fine. I run 2-3db hot with DEQ. Without DEQ, a lot of folks are at +5-10db hot.

This should be quite the treat when you do this, as your subs were running a little thin compared to your other channels.

#17,155 ·
^^ Thanks. I always watch movies with dyneq on; however, it is off for REW measurement as I measure lower than reference MV most of the time. I think I will reduce all speakers to 75db and keep my subs level as is to make it right/reference. Apparently, Audessey set all my speakers 3-4dbs higher and subs 5db lower, a 8-9db difference :eek::confused: I wouldn't know till checking with REW.

#17,157 ·
Normally I would agree but in this case he put the new subs in place of the old and feels less bass in the couch if I understand his post. Cancellation, maybe, but sub waves are very long and swapping subs in the same place should exhibit the same in-room steady-state response. That is why I suggested coupling. Maybe if he fired the new ones into the couch...
I went ahead and did some more experimentation. Now my thoughts are that in my original d15 setup I might have been getting a boost at a certain frq? Even with audyssey? And maybe I was just used to hearing it?

Because now it definitely sounds different and with the size of the room and basically 4 subs running, maybe I'm just getting a flatter well balanced response and I'm not used to it?

Subjectively listening to parts of cloverfield and Enders Game sound good to me when I try to remember how they sound scene for scene in the various setups. But then I throw in Xmen first class and I could of swore I was getting some chest thump on many of the mageneto scenes where he's trying to manipulate objects but now with all 4 subs going I think that is missing. Or I might just be driving myself crazy. Lol

#17,158 · (Edited)
For a lot of people (maybe most), the higher output above tuning makes the choice of a ported sub over a sealed the preferred choice. Those who use the sub(s) for both music and home theatre and/or with large, open-floor plan rooms, for instance. As Jedi's comparison of the two suggests, however, for a minority---those who use the subs exclusively for music at moderate-to-only somewhat loud volume and/or in small to medium sized rooms (3,000 cu.ft. or less, say), sealed may be preferred, especially if recordings such as those of a pipe organ in a cathedral are part of one's musical diet. The 32' pipe of a large organ's (get your mind out of the gutter;)) bottom bass pedal produces a 16Hz tone! And the cathedral itself supports even lower than 16Hz information. How much of it one hears is dependent upon the capabilities of the rest of one's system and listening room, of course.

#17,159 ·
Do you have the dampening set to low? I've experimented back and forth and low provides that full body bass for movies. Also, you said you boosted the sub channel +6db. What is your gain set to on the subs themselves? When you initially ran Audyssey did you have a port plugged and dampening set to low? Try your mic positions like this focusing on the MLP. I used to place the mic all over and just lay it on the couch cushions. I now have a boom mic stand, so the mic can be placed at precisely ear level and I follow this diagram. It made a huge difference for me. If you don't already have a boom mic stand you can get one off of Amazon for like $25 bucks shipped and the adapter to be able to mate the Audyssey mic to it is only like $5 bucks I think.
yes, low dampening (currently) with all 4 subs integrated. the FV15HP's are set at 14hz, low dampening, rumble filter off 1 port plugged. The D15's were initially set the same but with rumble filter on. However last night I re -equed them with rumble filter off. ( I think this is better as a starting point prior to running audyssey) then I can fiddle around without having to re-run it. Brian advised me to keep 1 port plugged on the FVHP's and to turn on the rumble filter on the D15 (this way they would be more closely aligned in phase).

Anyway, I didn't really notice much of a difference either way. I boosted the sub's 6 db's because that's kind of always what I did and I wanted to keep things the same as possible across the board for my subjective listening tests.

I've been using a camera tripod for the audyssey mic for years. Anal about doing that setup, and I try to run it consistently at the same positions whenever I change up the subs or move them etc. So I doubt it's that.

Thanks

#17,160 ·
For a lot of people (maybe most), the higher output above tuning makes the choice of a ported sub over a sealed the preferred choice. Those who use the sub(s) for both music and home theatre and/or with large, open-floor plan rooms, for instance. As Jedi's comparison of the two suggests, however, for a minority---those who use the subs exclusively for music at moderate-to-only somewhat loud volume and/or in small to medium sized rooms (3,000 cu.ft. or less, say), sealed may be preferred, especially if recordings such as those of a pipe organ in a cathedral are part of one's musical diet. The 32' pipe of a large organ's (get your mind out of the gutter;)) bottom bass pedal produces a 16Hz tone! And the cathedral itself supports even lower than 16Hz information. How much of it one hears is dependent upon the capabilities of the rest of one's system and listening room, of course.
I would argue at least for now, that having sealed subs behind or near the MLP is beneficial if you are looking for that tactile couch rumble feedback.( in a very large space) Having basically A/B 'ed high power ported and sealed in identical positions. However it is a give and take, as it does sound different.

As don pointed out, maybe if I had the FVHP's fire into the couch or MLP it would have the same effect but for aesthetic reasons I can't position them that way. The D15's are downfiring. Some maybe that comes into play.