AVS Forum banner
5M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  TurboGuard 
#1 ·
 http://www.rythmikaudio.com/index.html

There never seems to be an 'Official' Rythmik thread so....

Hopefully members can post here and representatives from Rythmik (Brian) can more readily answer questions that are normally strewn about in many threads.

Rythmik now offers complete subwoofers as well as the traditional kits.

Maybe Brian will subscribe.

See less See more
#23,921 ·
Looking for some input...

Currently running a pair of Klipsch RF 3s for fronts that I have had for about 15 years in a 7.2 setup. Have 3 F15HPs, two front, one NF firing straight into my @r$e.

Been toying with the idea of replacing the RF 3s with a couple of Rythmik FM8s and maybe the SVS Ultra bookshelves.

Still satisfied with the sound, but having a bit of the upgrade bug.

Any one running anything similar and have any input?

Onkyo Tx NR838
Adcom GFA 555
Klipsch RF3s
Klipsch RC62ii
Rythmik F15HP
Klipsch RB10BK
Polk RC65ci
Hi budeliao,

I'm using a pair of Rythmik F8 as mid-bass modules for the front sound stage (consisting of LCR + FH) as shown in post number 159 in the KEF E305/301 owner's thread. One will need an external device to management the low and high pass between the satellites to the F8 modules. I used the miniDSP 10x10HD.

I believe another Rythmik FM8 owner is doing something similar for his LCR setup and he might want to chime in on how it went.

From a sound quality perspective, the F8 mid-bass are really good (clean high output with low distortion), giving satisfactory performance in it's pass band when the soundtrack requires it during extreme dynamic situations with authority. This is when the Main Volume is up near reference level.

Have no regrets in getting the F8.

#23,926 ·
The FV15HP spec says ''12 - 200 Hz (-2 dB @ 17 Hz, -6db@12hz) with LFE input'' is that 200hz a brick wall or can it go beyond that and then slowly become less audible?
In room measurements of my F15HP showed a much higher fr using LFE input compared to the Line's. I would characterize 175Hz as a brick wall using Line, desirable for my setup.

Graph shows greater null @ 80Hz crossover compared to 60.

Attachments

#23,927 ·
Rythmik F15 in 6000 Cubic feet function room.

I was asked by my very good friend to provide the sound system for her moms 70th Birthday party, normally, I dare not risk moving my gear for fear of scratching my equipment, but I could not say no, so I gathered a hashtag of equipment from the house, a Vintage Kenwood LS-1600 speakers (12 inch woofers), Pioneer AVR and the sealed Rythmik F15. I was not able to play movies, but using 2 channel audio, I was surprised that the a Single F15 was able to fill the room with bass, bass that I CAN FEEL and I was not even cranking it up :)

#23,930 ·
Yes, though IME few speakers actually perform better with a 60 Hz vs. 80 Hz crossover. Distortion gets very high as levels increase and frequency lowers. I prefer to cross over an octave, or at least one-half octave, above the speakers' -3 dB point if possible (rule of thumb). LF distortion is rather insidious since the higher harmonics (distortion) are more audible and tend to make the sound "fuller" or "bigger" even thouigh what we are really hearing is higher distortion. I do not know your speakers so cannot say if they will be OK with a 60 Hz crossover or not.

My speakers are rated to 35 Hz and play a little lower than that in my room. They also exhibit very high distortion down there and are much happier crossed over at 70 or 80 Hz.

FWIWFM, YMMV, etc. - Don

Reactions: bmcn
#23,931 · (Edited)
Yes, though IME few speakers actually perform better with a 60 Hz vs. 80 Hz crossover. Distortion gets very high as levels increase and frequency lowers. I prefer to cross over an octave, or at least one-half octave, above the speakers' -3 dB point if possible (rule of thumb). LF distortion is rather insidious since the higher harmonics (distortion) are more audible and tend to make the sound "fuller" or "bigger" even thouigh what we are really hearing is higher distortion. I do not know your speakers so cannot say if they will be OK with a 60 Hz crossover or not.

My speakers are rated to 35 Hz and play a little lower than that in my room. They also exhibit very high distortion down there and are much happier crossed over at 70 or 80 Hz.

FWIWFM, YMMV, etc. - Don
Speakers are recently purchased used Onix Reference 3's. Difficult to find any documentation online due to the company's demise.

Edit: A little more digging yielded this:

Reference 3 specifications:

• System: 4-way rear-vented floorstanding loudspeaker
  • Drivers: (2) Atohm 7", (1) Vifa XT Concentric Ring Radiator, (1) magnetostat super tweeter
  • Crossover: 4th Order
  • Crossover Points:
  • Bottom woofer : 35 Hz - 150 Hz
  • Upper woofer : 35 Hz – 2.5 kHz
  • XT tweeter : 2.5kHz – 30 kHz
  • Super TW: 15 kHz – 50 kHz
  • Frequency Response: 28Hz - 50kHz (+/- 3dB)
  • Impedance: 4 Ohm
  • Efficiency: 90 dB (@ 1 Watt / 1 Meter)

Perhaps we should continue this via pm. Thanks.

#23,932 ·
I'm no speaker expert. Two 7" drivers that overlap in the first two octaves provides an equivalent to about a 10" woofer. Note woofers "unload" below the port frequency, falling off rapidly in output and rapidly increasing in distortion. I've no idea their excursion, distortion, etc. so my rule of thumb would be to cross them at 70 Hz or higher.

Reactions: bmcn
#23,933 ·
Is there any definitive release date and price for the 18'' subwoofer from Rythmik? Will there be a ported and a sealed version of this subwoofer? If anyone has some more information about these subs please share it, we might be organising a powerbuy from the Netherlands.
This question has been asked by a few people including myself but it seems to be ignored by Rythmik. I'm in the market for a new subwoofer and I would appreciate it (as well as others who inquired) if Rythmik can provide some information.

#23,934 ·
As for the FV18, Brian is working on this project as well on the FV25HP. For the FV18 we are waiting for the voice coils to arrive and for the FV25HP we still need to make a decision about the finish. That thing is so heavy that is going to be impossible to make it with vinyl finish. The HX2000XLR3 amps are ready and coming on the next container. The amp is HUGE, kinda 50% larger than the HX800XLR3 amp. At this time our ETA for both models is end of September. No final price yet.

#23,936 ·
I'd rather Rythmik (Brian) was busy making subs than spending extra time on AVS but whatever... ;) R&D always takes longer than planned. The R&D mantra I have heard over decades of doing it: "Price, performance, schedule -- pick two, settle for one."

#23,937 ·
For you guys salivating for an 18" Rythmik sub, in spite of the "sexiness" of such a monster sub, the final price for it, with the considerable cost of shipping it to you, may well be more than the price of a pair of FV15HP's, or three or four smaller Rythmiks. And I have no doubt that three or four (perhaps even just two) smaller Rythmiks will provide better overall sound than a single 18. Something to keep in mind. Now, for you guys who can buy two, three, or four 18's, Hell yeah!

#23,938 ·
and for the FV25HP we still need to make a decision about the finish. That thing is so heavy that is going to be impossible to make it with vinyl finish. The HX2000XLR3 amps are ready and coming on the next container. The amp is HUGE, kinda 50% larger than the HX800XLR3 amp. At this time our ETA for both models is end of September. No final price yet.
If I read the amp model number right, 2000W for a dual ported 15" fv25hp will be awesome. Easily +6db over the almighty FV15hp across the entire frequency range. I am a lot more excited for the FV25 than the FV18.

#23,939 ·
I'd rather Rythmik (Brian) was busy making subs than spending extra time on AVS but whatever... ;) R&D always takes longer than planned. The R&D mantra I have heard over decades of doing it: "Price, performance, schedule -- pick two, settle for one."
Pretty much!!. These projects is no joke and isn't a simple upgrade like they do with cell phones. There is no solid ETA so people should just be patient and wait. the Rythmik team is kind forced to give a date and when that date passes it's the same question again and again because of that. If anyone is worried about spending big cash then more waiting would be smart.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

#23,940 · (Edited)
As for the FV18, Brian is working on this project as well on the FV25HP. For the FV18 we are waiting for the voice coils to arrive and for the FV25HP we still need to make a decision about the finish. That thing is so heavy that is going to be impossible to make it with vinyl finish. The HX2000XLR3 amps are ready and coming on the next container. The amp is HUGE, kinda 50% larger than the HX800XLR3 amp. At this time our ETA for both models is end of September. No final price yet.
Thanks Enrico...much appreciated. That satisfies my curiosity.