AVS Forum banner
5M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  TurboGuard 
#1 ·
 http://www.rythmikaudio.com/index.html

There never seems to be an 'Official' Rythmik thread so....

Hopefully members can post here and representatives from Rythmik (Brian) can more readily answer questions that are normally strewn about in many threads.

Rythmik now offers complete subwoofers as well as the traditional kits.

Maybe Brian will subscribe.

See less See more
#24,461 ·
I have that movie somewhere at home. Will try and find it. Thanks for the heads up

No prob! Also another hard hitting punchy bass scene, though not as hard as the dark knight scene I mentioned. In kickass towards the end when Nicholas cage is burning and his daughter is basically killing everyone. There's one 5 second or so sound byte where it's slow motion and the bullets being fired out of a machine gun have some punch to them out of the sub. This was another moment that had me smiling after I got my LV12R. Would be good for you to try these scenes out before your EQ and after to see if there's a difference. I would also try some lower frequency scenes as well.

#24,463 · (Edited)
I use line in for that and adjust the crossover knob and lpf slope switch to taste.
He should know that he will close everything about 80hz or what ever crossover he his crossover at.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
I have a peak around 90Hz that gives me *almost* the quoted 100Hz extension on Line In even with the crossover knob at 80Hz and slope at 24dB. So, I don't lose *really* anything in the 80Hz to 100Hz region.

Also, my suggestion is about subjective SQ and so I find getting rid of some of sub's upper extension sounds better vs. preserving the bits that mainly add boominess/thickness.

The bottom line is he should give it a try with REW and decide what approach he prefers and let REW show exactly what is going on to avoid any major problems.

Text Green Line Plot Font

#24,464 ·
Watching Scott pilgrim vs the world right now. The bass sounds alot better now that I have it properly set up. Just waiting on the rew now
Hang in there, I bet you will love this sub with a little more work and some patience.

Also, keep in mind the ported 15 will sound very similar above 30Hz or so, where the driver does most of the work and direct servo makes the entire Rythmik line sound very consistent.

#24,466 ·
For bass movies, try Underworld Awakening, Mad Max Fury Road and Seal team 8: behind enemy lines. These movies are full of bass for the entire movie, not just a scene here or there.

Is mad max rumbling bass mostly or punch bass. I'm calling it whatever names I can think of lol. Not sure if there are more universally excepted names but I guess you get my meaning.

#24,467 ·
Is mad max rumbling bass mostly or punch bass. I'm calling it whatever names I can think of lol. Not sure if there are more universally excepted names but I guess you get my meaning.
I think the whole movie is an all out bass assault! There is what could be considered "rumbling" bass (sandstorm scene), and "punchy" bass (where Max & Furiosa fighting & he fires gunshots into the ground :eek:) throughout the movie. I smile every time I watch it! Enjoy!

#24,468 ·
For bass movies, try Underworld Awakening, Mad Max Fury Road and Seal team 8: behind enemy lines. These movies are full of bass for the entire movie, not just a scene here or there.

Deep/low bass is 50Hz and under and is the rumbling type

Midbass is 50Hz and up and the chest thumping kind

Upper bass is even higher and generally what the speakers reproduce if using a 80Hz crossover

Mad Max has a lot of deep bass.

#24,469 ·
I think the whole movie is an all out bass assault! There is what could be considered "rumbling" bass (sandstorm scene), and "punchy" bass (where Max & Furiosa fighting & he fires gunshots into the ground :eek:) throughout the movie. I smile every time I watch it! Enjoy!

Annnddddd im ordering on blueray from Amazon. I'm so backed up in the movies I have to watch! It's hard to get time while the baby isn't home haha

#24,470 ·
#24,471 ·
From the Rythmik site..

"It is true that all op-amps have coloration to some degree. If you can hear the coloration of op-amps, we recommend a first order RC passive network with corner frequency of 100-150 Hz. The reason for this high corner frequency is to compensate for the slower roll-off of a first order filter. It is important that this RC network be placed close to the power amp input terminals (or even inside the power amp if that is possible), to avoid signal degradation. Essentially the output of this filter has a high drive impedance below 200 Hz. Pictured above is the RC filter that we made with one RCA jack and one RCA plug. Keep in mind this option is somewhat expensive, as one needs to buy a pair of each. It may run from $40-$100 depending on the brand used (in our case, Vampire). The jack is not soldered to the plug, as the plug has a cable holder screw which is used to hold the two together. Only the resistor and capacitor are soldered. The recommended resistor value is 5k ohms for solid state pre-amps and higher for tube pre-amps."

Can someone tell me the value of the Capacitor and what kind of capacitor is this ? (Film ?)

#24,472 ·
I attached a couple pics showing the size difference between an Onkyo HTIB sub. It is comical.
You might want to separate the two of them before something untoward happens. You know what they say about cross-breeding; the lowest strain of DNA drags down the superior one... :p

#24,473 ·
Another trick to improve bass performance is turning Dynamic EQ ON and set the offset level at 0dB for movies and 10dB for music... Not too many people like Dynamic EQ but I love it.
Say it isn't so! You work for Rythmik, so SQ surely must be a priority for you. Dynamic EQ and a Rythmik sub is comparable to a food critic eating at McDonalds! :D

#24,474 ·
for 2 channel listening at lower volumes dynamic eq isnt that bad. but for surround sound I really dont like dynamic eq

Reactions: meli
#24,475 ·
From the Rythmik site..

"It is true that all op-amps have coloration to some degree. If you can hear the coloration of op-amps, we recommend a first order RC passive network with corner frequency of 100-150 Hz. The reason for this high corner frequency is to compensate for the slower roll-off of a first order filter. It is important that this RC network be placed close to the power amp input terminals (or even inside the power amp if that is possible), to avoid signal degradation. Essentially the output of this filter has a high drive impedance below 200 Hz. Pictured above is the RC filter that we made with one RCA jack and one RCA plug. Keep in mind this option is somewhat expensive, as one needs to buy a pair of each. It may run from $40-$100 depending on the brand used (in our case, Vampire). The jack is not soldered to the plug, as the plug has a cable holder screw which is used to hold the two together. Only the resistor and capacitor are soldered. The recommended resistor value is 5k ohms for solid state pre-amps and higher for tube pre-amps."

Can someone tell me the value of the Capacitor and what kind of capacitor is this ? (Film ?)
If you have to ask you may not have the expertise to dial in a DIY filter.

It looks like a standard film capacitor but there are many types of films. Most any should be OK for this. Do not use an electrolytic (polarized) or ceramic (e.g. X5R, X7R) capacitor.

fp = 1/(2*pi*R*C)

So if you use a 5 k-ohm resistor and assume the source is 0 ohms and load infinite ohms (probably close enough for this) then 100 Hz requires about 0.32 uF (0.33 uF is a standard value) and 150 Hz needs about 0.21 uF (0.22 uF is a standard value).

Personally I'd stick with the filter in the sub.

HTH - Don

#24,476 ·
To all the new sub owners out there. With you new Rythmik subs you WILL be hearing things in the LFE channel that you have not heard/felt before. You will have a new appreciation for LFE, one that will have you watching/sampling all kinds of weird music and random movie clips just to exercise that sub of yours. :D

Words of wisdom from a FV15Hp owner.

Regards,

RTROSE

#24,477 ·
Thanks !!!

If you have to ask you may not have the expertise to dial in a DIY filter.

It looks like a standard film capacitor but there are many types of films. Most any should be OK for this. Do not use an electrolytic (polarized) or ceramic (e.g. X5R, X7R) capacitor.

fp = 1/(2*pi*R*C)

So if you use a 5 k-ohm resistor and assume the source is 0 ohms and load infinite ohms (probably close enough for this) then 100 Hz requires about 0.32 uF (0.33 uF is a standard value) and 150 Hz needs about 0.21 uF (0.22 uF is a standard value).

Personally I'd stick with the filter in the sub.

HTH - Don

#24,478 ·
My theater space is on a concrete slab, and I've never really been satisfied with the bass response. There are a couple of threads I came across on AVS which I believe can successfully address this.:
- "Nearfield Ported MBM for Increased Tactile Response" and "The Official Crowson Motion Actuators Thread". In both threads you'll find wildly enthusiastic responses from those that have implemented the suggestions. The recommended MBM is only around $300, which makes it even more attractive. I know you guys are into bass, so I'd like to get some reaction on what you think of these suggestions. Admittedly, the Crowson's aren't cheap, but I've yet to find anything but glowing reviews for them. I plan to implement both when my reconstruction project is complete. I think these guys have advanced the state of subwooferage with their research here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24,479 ·
From the Rythmik site..

If you really want to try this without having to build anything, then there's always http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-fmod-inline-crossover-pair-150-hz-low-pass-rca--266-256
They make a 100hz low pass as well.

#24,480 ·
Level 5 Photoshop skills[emoji16] I wish he had REW and a mic it would be awesome to see how well the responce is.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Just purchased a UMIK-1. I will be learning/trying to do REW in the next week or so (as soon as the Mic comes). I'll be posting questions and results in this thread so as not to hijack this one.