AVS Forum banner
5M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  TurboGuard 
#1 ·
 http://www.rythmikaudio.com/index.html

There never seems to be an 'Official' Rythmik thread so....

Hopefully members can post here and representatives from Rythmik (Brian) can more readily answer questions that are normally strewn about in many threads.

Rythmik now offers complete subwoofers as well as the traditional kits.

Maybe Brian will subscribe.

See less See more
#27,423 · (Edited)
That's quite a bit of a house curve. I personally like a flatter response.

In any case, I would smooth out the response to more closely match whatever target you have chosen. Right now it isn't as smooth or linear as it could be.
This is after a few sub distance tweaks, i got it as close as possible.
i noticed that i don't really notice the peaks at those lower frequency's, a good thing?

#27,425 · (Edited)
If that's the case then it means you can currently run the subs up to 8dB hot without clipping the sub pre-outs on the AVR. Just increase the sw trim in AVR to desired level but leave sw gain untouched.

The only other thing is that your MiniDSP 2x4 Unbalanced is limited to a 0.9V RMS max input as currently configured. So, you may need to keep the sw trim in the negative range if you listen at or near reference level. But if you listen well below that and don't set the subs very hot in the sw trim, then it should not matter. Of course, you could use a digital multimeter to see at what sw trim the avr sub pre-outs exceed 0.9V RMS with 0MV. That would let you know how high you can crank sw trim with 0MV before the MiniDSP input starts clipping.

All that being said, do you need to MiniDSP to EQ the subs beyond Audyssey? In the REW thread you were told you didn't unless you wanted to run the MSO or do a custom house curve or other non flat target curve.
it flattened it very nicely and it sounds better. The MiniDSP was a good investment. I kept getting tripped up at how the crossover did not appear to be working. However, once I just dropped the issue the end result was a very flat response. I had to boost 30 and 40 quite a dip and at 55 to 60 a large peak but the sounds is much better because of the EQ. I do probably have to worry about clipping when running hot with that PEQ shape as it is.

Given I had to increase the gain to flatten it, how can I test whether or not I'm clipping on the outgoing signal? Would it be a matter of looking at what Audyssey is sending -8db and then my gain at it's peak (+6) and then I could run 2ish Db hotter because the end result would be +6 EQ -6 audyssey for a result of 0Db (at the frequency band)?

#27,426 ·
There are potentially 3 kinds of clipping to consider here:

1. First is the actual sub-pre outs on the AVR. This can happen when the sw trim in AVR is positive and the MV is high.

2. Second is clipping at the MiniDSP inputs, which would happen anytime the AVR is sending more than 0.9V RMS from each of the sub pre-outs. A digital multimeter can let you know what combination of sw trim and MV is under 0.9V RMS.

3. Third is the sub amp clipping should you apply too much boost in the sub EQ via MiniDSP PEQ filters. Keeping in mind Audyssey XT32 is likely applying 3-6dB of boost already to any sub FR dips on its own.

I would recommend cut only EQ or no overall boost in REW filter preferences. If you must boost keep it to 3-6dB max. If the sub amp clips during a movie with loud bass or loud music, the power LED will flash momentarily to indicate that the sub amp is clipping. If so, apply less or no boost in MiniDSP/REW.

As to having to increase sw gain after using MiniDSP PEQ that is normal and not directly related to clipping.

#27,427 ·

1. First is the actual sub-pre outs on the AVR. This can happen when the sw trim in AVR is positive and the MV is high.

2. Second is clipping at the MiniDSP inputs, which would happen anytime the AVR is sending more than 0.9V RMS from each of the sub pre-outs. A digital multimeter can let you know what combination of sw trim and MV is under 0.9V RMS.

3. Third is the sub amp clipping should you apply too much boost in the sub EQ via MiniDSP PEQ filters. Keeping in mind Audyssey XT32 is likely applying 3-6dB of boost already to any sub FR dips on its own.

I would recommend cut only EQ or no overall boost in REW filter preferences. If you must boost keep it to 3-6dB max. If the sub amp clips during a movie with loud bass or loud music, the power LED will flash momentarily to indicate that the sub amp is clipping. If so, apply less or no boost in MiniDSP/REW.

As to having to increase sw gain after using MiniDSP PEQ that is normal and not directly related to clipping.
what are good test tones to test for clipping? I turn my marantz AVR up to about 65 tops for music and movies.

#27,429 ·

what are good test tones to test for clipping? I turn my marantz AVR up to about 65 tops for music and movies.
Check the REW 101 guide to see how to measure pre-out voltage via REW and digital multimeter.

What is 65 in relative dB scale?

#27,430 ·
Reactions: tjcinnamon
#27,431 ·
Yeah, you should change the volume SCALE from Absolute to Relative so that we are all talking the same language. ;)

See this page of your manual.
that would make things so much easier! I see people talking about how many Db they're pushing out and I'm like "how do they know that"

#27,434 ·
that would make things so much easier! I see people talking about how many Db they're pushing out and I'm like "how do they know that"
:)

Technically, using the Relative MV scale won't tell you how much dB your pushing out...for that you need an SPL meter.

You can guess-timate your SPL based on how far under Reference you are listening as long as your system is calibrated to Reference. THX Reference Level is defined as 85dB average in the satellite speakers with 105dB peaks (95dB average in the LFE channel with 115dB peaks). For example, if you are listening at -10MV you can be fairly certain that you are listening at an average of 75dB with 95dB peaks.

This of course only applies to movies (DVDs and blu rays)...music, TV and to a certain extent, streaming are not mastered to any known level so it all goes out the window for those formats.

#27,435 ·
Four new models: FV18 (single 18" ported), FV25 (dual 15" ported), F18HP (single 18" sealed) and F28 (dual 18" sealed). The F28 is a dual 18" sealed subwoofer with same cabinet size as the FV25.
Oh man, I've had my 2 F25's for less than a year and now there is an F28 coming out? Mmmmm more power....

Just for the peace of mind, I already hit 10Hz with a flat response (ignore the 60Hz null in the picture, I mostly got that fixed with later tweaks). What benefit would going bigger with F28's be over the F25's?

Attachments

#27,436 ·
Check the REW 101 guide to see how to measure pre-out voltage via REW and digital multimeter.

What is 65 in relative dB scale?
Yeah, you should change the volume SCALE from Absolute to Relative so that we are all talking the same language. ;)

See this page of your manual.
Just checked it's -15Db. I suppose I could crank it to -10Db for special occasions but I doubt it.

What test scenes would I use for an SPL?

#27,438 ·
I did some EQ with the Minidsp 2x4, it came out really well for that region. i need a better AVR with EQ for the speakers.

Great!

A couple notes...

Don't try to boost the natural rolloff. That will probably do more harm than good.

Flat is a great starting point, but don't be afraid to experiment to see if you like a different curve better than flat.
Just use a variety of different content - not just one song or movie.

#27,440 ·
Reactions: primetime74