AudioSource PSW110 vs. Definitive Technology ProSub 80 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-13-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first thread post ever and I could desparately use some help.

I have a room which is 12.5 ft x 15.5 ft. However, the room has a permanent opening toward the back (which leads to stairs to the first floor).

This opening seems to be causing havoc on subwoofer placement. I have found the best placement for an M&K MX-200 to be towards the back corner. If I place the sub near the front mains, the main listening area (which happens to be near the opening towards the back of the room) is completely void of bass. However, there is a huge disconnect between the front mains (mythos one / mythos three), and the bass in the back corner.

I was hoping a second sub near the front mains would help cure the disconnect. If not, please advise.

I was thinking a smaller sub would do the trick, as I am missing the "thump" from the front mains.

Does anyone have an opinion between the AudioSource PSW110 vs. Definitive Technology ProSub 80? I would really appreciate the help.

I do not want to spend too much on the second sub, as I have already spent quite a bit on the primary sub / mains / center / tv. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I know this is late, but here's hoping your still reading. I have used similar subs strictly as a center channel only sub (both down to just 40Hz) before being turned over to a real sub (SVS PB12 NSD/2) I have DefTech BP7001sc as my mains and a LCR2002 center and noticed the center could never handle the deep bass that the mains had (but knew that it wouldnt either) I have my mains crossed at 40Hz also.

One day a few months back, I came across the Audiosource AST10 sub (which is similar to the PSW110 (almost exactly) except the PSW110 has a larger enclosure. Anyway it gave decent bass being used as a mid bass driver, but to keep up with my mains, it had to be set at maximum gain to just try and keep up, but even at 10 the sound was stiil decent (not great mind you, but gave me more bass than the center by itself). Then two weeks ago I came across a DT Prosub 800 (update from the Prosub 80) and this sub trounced the Audiosource sub. It had way more punch, delved deeper and I only had to have the sub halfway up to keep up with my BP7001s.

My suggestion buy the DT sub, but be warned it is only good to about 38 Hz before it drops, it's -3b mark is at 32Hz and -6db is at 28Hz, so it should not be used as a full range sub, but would make a great mid bass sub or as I did to help out speakers that can't get down into the 40Hz range before being passed on to a real good sub, like SVS, Hsu or ED.

I hope the OP is catching this, I just didn't see this thread till today.

btw I spent 80.00 at a pawnshop for the Audiosource sub and 200.00 for a brand new Prosub 800 (Ultimate was having an overstock sale)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-22-2010, 10:24 PM

How much are you looking to spend? Dayton has some very good options around 100-150.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-26-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

I know this is late, but here's hoping your still reading. I have used similar subs strictly as a center channel only sub (both down to just 40Hz) before being turned over to a real sub (SVS PB12 NSD/2) I have DefTech BP7001sc as my mains and a LCR2002 center and noticed the center could never handle the deep bass that the mains had (but knew that it wouldnt either) I have my mains crossed at 40Hz also.

One day a few months back, I came across the Audiosource AST10 sub (which is similar to the PSW110 (almost exactly) except the PSW110 has a larger enclosure. Anyway it gave decent bass being used as a mid bass driver, but to keep up with my mains, it had to be set at maximum gain to just try and keep up, but even at 10 the sound was stiil decent (not great mind you, but gave me more bass than the center by itself). Then two weeks ago I came across a DT Prosub 800 (update from the Prosub 80) and this sub trounced the Audiosource sub. It had way more punch, delved deeper and I only had to have the sub halfway up to keep up with my BP7001s.

My suggestion buy the DT sub, but be warned it is only good to about 38 Hz before it drops, it's -3b mark is at 32Hz and -6db is at 28Hz, so it should not be used as a full range sub, but would make a great mid bass sub or as I did to help out speakers that can't get down into the 40Hz range before being passed on to a real good sub, like SVS, Hsu or ED.

I hope the OP is catching this, I just didn't see this thread till today.

btw I spent 80.00 at a pawnshop for the Audiosource sub and 200.00 for a brand new Prosub 800 (Ultimate was having an overstock sale)

thank you very much for the reply...i actually ended up getting a sunfire true mk II and tried out the sub in the front of the room...and still the same problem...no bass in the listening area...

i am going to hook up both the m&k mx-200 (in the back corner) and the sunfire (in the front corner) and see if i can get a more balanced bass response...if this doesnt do the trick...i think i am SOL...

i will say this though...the m&k sounds much better than the sunfire in terms of clarity....and it seems to get lower as well (although no measurements were taken)...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page