I'm deciding between a Entry Level SVS or for a High-End Energy Subwoofer Model - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi ,

It will be nice if I got some little advice from Expert,

It will be for my other listenning room just for Music use in 2.1 !

I'm thinking what should be better in quality between this two models the Entry Level SVS PB10-NSD or for the High-End Model ESW-V10 from Energy

I,ve heard a lot good feedback from SVS and Energy, but the only thing I'm comparing between an Entry Level and a High-End Model...

Thank you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The Energy Sub has a 300w BASH amp in basically a 15" cube that's rated to 23hz and it weighs 39lbs.
The SVS Sub has a 325w BASH amp in a 15"w x 19"h x 21"d that's rated to 20hz and it weighs about 90lbs.

Just from the obvious I'd say the Energy sub would be somewhat limited by it's enclosure size which would explain why the larger PB10 would give you more extension and probably equal or better output throughout most of the range.

The Energy Sub is possibly better looking (subjective) and it's definitely much smaller and lighter which many people might find appealing. If you're a basshead trying to get the most out of your movies the PB10-NSD would be my choice. You'll get a bit more extension and more output for sure....especially down low where you want it for movies. If you don't need as much 'thunder' as you can get and the size and looks are valuable then the Energy Sub is a good alternative. They are both very well made subs...
post #3 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Danielson99,

I know about the PB10-NSD has a bigger cabinet, it gots more output it goes lower and it's a bit heavier (60 lbs). Is the Energy the best Subwoofer ever made with, superior cosmetics, better*materials, and it*produces tighter bass and a cleaner sound than the PB10-NSD as an Entry Level Model?

Do you think the ESW-V10 will be better in cleaner Sound Quality, tigher (more punchy in bass) and more accurate than the PB10-NSD. In Music use only

Thank you
post #4 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
First - I am not an expert - I am an enthusiast who like you is looking for a musical sub for a 2.1 system for ~$500 or less.

I have never actually listened to either on your list. But by reputation: Energy subs are OK but there are better for either music or HT unless you get a great deal; the SVS is an excellent contender and good value, especially if HT your major need.

Although not gospel, generally sealed subs are better for music only.

If you can afford it, the best choice would be a Rythmik F12 (that's what i have in my HT and choice it for excellence in music for SACD 5.1).

Assuming it's $650 (honey oak) or $700 (black) price is too much, then you are more in the market for my current search, a 2.1 musical sub for <$500. But save up for this and you will be really happy.

My short list:
- Emotiva Ultra10, $399 (soon to be released)
- Aperion Bravus 8D, $499
- Mosscade Titan 5.5, price not final

Good luck and have fun.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefiethai View Post

Do you think the ESW-V10 will be better in cleaner Sound Quality, tigher (more punchy in bass) and more accurate than the PB10-NSD. In Music use only

I don't have them both here for and A/B test. However, I have owned PB-10s and have heard many more expensive subs that did not sound as good.
I would argue that the PB-10 is all around excellent sub. It is one of best bargains in bass. Don't be fooled by the so called hi-end products, they are not always better. But, you have to get what you think is best. If you can't hear them all you get is opinions.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, is the ESW-V10 a Sealed Sub? I know the PB10-NSD is a Ported

Thanks for all ur helps !
post #7 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefiethai View Post

Hi Danielson99,

I know about the PB10-NSD has a bigger cabinet, it gots more output it goes lower and it's a bit heavier (60 lbs). Is the Energy the best Subwoofer ever made with, superior cosmetics, better*materials, and it*produces tighter bass and a cleaner sound than the PB10-NSD as an Entry Level Model?

Thank you

There is no such thing as a "High End" Energy subwoofer. It is ported and not sealed. For 100% music (except pipe organ) use, it would be OK, but nothing special. The V-10 is discontinued.

If you can get the V-10 for less than $350, it's not a bad value.

But, for the price, the SVS PB-10 has been refined several times and overall is a much better sub.

If you want something that will score high in a beauty contest go for the Energy.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

stefiethai,

I've never heard the Energy sub you mention but I'm an owner of the older PSB10-ISD and its replacement PSB10-NSD. It's a great sub for it's price.
However...you mention the good looks of the Energy. Are the cosmetics of the sub high on your list? The PB10's finish wont win you over if your 2.1 listening is a nicely decorated room. Just something to consider. Good luck.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page