Subwoofer Advice for my Media Room... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-14-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a room which is 12.5 ft x 15.5 ft. However, the room has a permanent opening toward the back (which leads to stairs to the first floor).

This opening seems to be causing havoc on subwoofer placement. I have found the best placement for an M&K MX-200 to be towards the back corner. If I place the sub near the front mains, the main listening area (which happens to be near the opening towards the back of the room) is completely void of bass. However, there is a huge disconnect between the front mains (mythos one / mythos three), and the bass in the back corner.

I was hoping a second sub near the front mains would help cure the disconnect. If not, please advise.

I was thinking a smaller sub would do the trick, as I am missing the "thump" from the front mains and the M&K is providing the very serious low end.

Does anyone have an opinion between the AudioSource PSW110 vs. Definitive Technology ProSub 80 vs. Dayton SUB-80? I would really appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-16-2010, 06:03 PM

I would recommend experimenting with front placement some more before you buy another sub. Make sure you set the levels correctly and experiment with crossover setup. Also try different positions for sub in the front and see how it blends in.

President Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!!
post #3 of 11 Old 01-17-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

drhack...

thanks for the reply...but i have exhausted all possibilities with a one subwoofer setup in regards to room placement and crossover settings (both with through the reciever as well as on the sub)...its painful to know the system could sound so much better (as I have set the front speakers against the other wall - which sounds amazing but not good for sitting arrangement)...any advice would be great...

have you or anyone else heard the audiosource or dayton subs???
post #4 of 11 Old 01-17-2010, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I haven't been able to hear the audiosource sub but I have been looking for information on it for the past couple of days as I was considering it.

I have not been able to find much of anything but I am little concerned about this:
Quote:

125W@<1% THD
(Continuous operation at 1/8 rated power)

Maybe I am interpreting this wrong but I am thinking that this means it has a 15W AMP. Could that be right?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-17-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:

thanks for the reply...but i have exhausted all possibilities with a one subwoofer setup in regards to room placement and crossover settings (both with through the reciever as well as on the sub)...its painful to know the system could sound so much better (as I have set the front speakers against the other wall - which sounds amazing but not good for sitting arrangement)...any advice would be great...

have you or anyone else heard the audiosource or dayton subs???

What are your mains? Did you equalize the volumes? Can you check the FR with an SPL meter? This is difficult to do by ear alone.

Sorry cant help you about those subs.

President Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!!
post #6 of 11 Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post

Maybe I am interpreting this wrong but I am thinking that this means it has a 15W AMP. Could that be right?

No, it's 150. I imagine that's really just referring to the fact that most sub amps sit underutilized or idle..... since the subs only respond to the low frequencies.

It's not 150 watts constantly running...
post #7 of 11 Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

drhack...the mains are def tech mythos one's...the center is def tech mythos three...the surrounds are yet to be determined...i have not used an SPL meter to measure freq response...but the void in bass below ~80 Hz is even evident to my wife...who is by no means an audiophile...

over the weekend i was able to place my second 10" EMP sub downstairs in the media room...i placed the sub near the front mains...and even still there was a disconnect between the front mains and the M&K sub in the back corner...

if I were to essentially close up the opening leading to the first floor...would that resolve the issue as the current configuration of the basement almost implies two rooms...the area without the opening and the area with the opening...

dalto...if you hear anything about that audiosource sub...please let me know as well...thanks...

homeav...could you please explain the following with a little more detail as i was also concerned about the same spec and am still a little confused...thank you...
125W@<1% THD
post #8 of 11 Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnp112 View Post

homeav...could you please explain the following with a little more detail as i was also concerned about the same spec and am still a little confused...thank you...
125W@<1% THD

Actually, I'm not sure now.

Maybe it just means that the THD measurement is @ 1/8th power? I know a lot of manufacturers give THD ratings that are at only a fraction of full power.

Maybe someone else more knowledgeable about amplifier ratings can chime in..
post #9 of 11 Old 01-18-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

What are you using for a receiver or avr? It sounds like something is set up wrong.

As I have a similar sized room with 3 openings and a huge picture window. Running an old Velodyne CHT-12 with a Polk soundbar of all things and it shakes the house. And I gave my sil the same sub in a 10" version and it too will rattle the windows with an old inexpensive Denon 5.1 avr.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

localnet...im using a sony str-dg800...while it is among the low-end recievers...i dont believe the reciever is at fault (as the reciever works wonderful in a different room configuration)...

and while the M&K mx-200 does shake my insides (literally - super loud - super low) it only seems to do this from one location in the room (the back corner)...if I place the same sub near the front left or front right (facing away from or at the listening area)...the listening area is once again completely void of bass...

but thats pretty interesting that with three openings in your room...you still have fairly uniform bass response...do you have a variable phase setting on the velo...or does the reciever account for in room response...

homeav...thanks for the input...that does seem to make sense though...<1% THD at 1/8th power...
post #11 of 11 Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnp112 View Post

localnet...im using a sony str-dg800...while it is among the low-end recievers...i dont believe the reciever is at fault (as the reciever works wonderful in a different room configuration)...

and while the M&K mx-200 does shake my insides (literally - super loud - super low) it only seems to do this from one location in the room (the back corner)...if I place the same sub near the front left or front right (facing away from or at the listening area)...the listening area is once again completely void of bass...

but thats pretty interesting that with three openings in your room...you still have fairly uniform bass response...do you have a variable phase setting on the velo...or does the reciever account for in room response...

homeav...thanks for the input...that does seem to make sense though...<1% THD at 1/8th power...

I have the sub hooked into my old Denon 4802 AVR, I believe I have the cross over set at 100hz and sound bar to L/R/C to small. I cannot recall the LFE setting, but I believe it is on.

The sub's crossover is set to max, the Denon handles it, and the gain is set to around 10 or 11 o'clock.

And it will shake the house as in moving change on the table that sits next to it.

The sub sits dead center in the room against a wall directly across from wher I sit. The AVR, Sound Bar and TV are in the corner, on a corner stand, at the far end of the room.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers