Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's my system...

Onkyo HT-RC160 7.1 Receiver
Klipsch Quintet Surround
Klipsch Sub-10

The Klipsch pieces were bought together about 5 years ago.

When i got the receiver, i ran audyssey and it set up the speakers and the subwoofer with no problem. Recently, i noticed a lack of depth with the bass - today i finally checked on it - nothing. There is power - the receiver thinks that it's sending a signal to the sub. But there is no sound.

I tried different cables and changing the inputs on the back of the sub - nothing.

I checked the fuse and it seems to be fine.

Can anyone think of anything else i can check before i take this to someone to look at it?

And if i DO decide to take it to someone, how much am i looking to spend? Would it be more worth the while just to purchase a new one like this one?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-18-2010, 05:45 PM

I do apologize ahead if I'm offending anyone here, to each his own, but I hate Klipsch anything. I had a sub and satts and the subs amp blew then the satt tweets blew. If it weren't one thing it was another. It could be a lemon but because of that experience I'm staying away from Klipsch lower end HTiB type systems.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-18-2010, 06:01 PM

Well first off if you have an ohm meter check the fuse to ensure it is indeed good. Sometimes they can blow where you can't see them although this in not normal.

Does the amp have a light on it that changes from red to green (Or something similar) when it receives signal.

Check the cable. If you have any other RCA cable that you can replace your sub cable with to ensure it is indeed not the cable.

Remove and re-install the power cable/un-plug and re-plug into the wall.

If all these net you no results then most likely it is the amp in the sub that could be bad.

You should try to find a reputable repair center or call Klipsch, they can give you some good idea as to the cost. They are actually quite customer service oriented. It most likely will not be as expensive to repair as buying a new sub. You could at least find out the repair cost and then make a decision.

Msarva, please understand my reasoning for this comment, but I do not think the OP was looking for others thoughts or feelings about Klipsch as much as he was requesting some assistance. Sorry you had bad luck with Klipsch in the past but your post was not truly useful in any way. For the most part Klipsch is a pretty good low cost alternative in the HTIB market as their speakers have high efficiency and can be well driven by modest systems.

Candj I hope you are able to resolve your issue with as little out of pocket as possible. If you decide to up-grade please look at Elemental Designs, Epik, and SVS just to name a few. Exceptional quality and performance for your money.

Keep us posted and good luck.
post #4 of 28 Old 01-19-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Great post Waffle! Thanks for the help

I do not have an ohm meter - but would it be worth it to buy a new fuse for it (assuming i can pick one up at a hardware store cheap) just to try it?

I tried 4 different RCA cables coming from different outputs from the receiver (there are 2) and different inputs on the sub (there are 2) - nothing.

There is a signal indicator light on the sub (i think) - and since i had it continually on the sub test from the receiver, the signal never changed from blue - unless it remains blue and the only change is that it goes off if there is no signal - i'd have to test further on this, which i can't do since i'm at work, to see if it is indeed telling me that it IS picking up a signal, just not doing anything with it.

I un-plugged and re-plugged it a couple of times in different outlets to see if it was an interference problem anywhere. No changes.

So i guess i'll contact a repair service - there's a guy close by that i've gone to before - maybe Klipsch has some authorized repair guys around here. What did you think of the sub i linked before - i know it's not ED, SVS or Epik - good quality subs - but even those are more than i could possibly swing (yes, even the A2-300 which is one that i usually recommend for people). But at $180 for a sub that has received good reviews, i thought it would work in a pinch for the next few years until i'm ready to buy what i really want.

Thanks again for the response - anyone else?
post #5 of 28 Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 AM

Glad to be of assistance, thanks.

Fuses are cheap and it would not hurt to buy one.

On the light I would plug the Sub cable back in to the LFE input with the receiver off and see if the light comes on right away. If it does check to see if the sub has an "Auto On" feature/switch, cycle it to see if the light goes off. If the light does not go off or comes back on after cycling the switch, leave the sub alone for 10-30 minutes to see if the light goes off. Then power on the receiver and see if the light comes on, on the sub. If so that means that the sub is receiving signal from the receiver so we can exclude that. If the fuse is replaced and the sub is receiving signal then it is basically not playing the signal which would indicate an internal fault, most likely with the amp.

At that point you have two choices, one see what the cost of repair would be, and two buy another sub.

The sub you linked to would most likely be as good/better than the Klipsch, as the Bic's get a lot of praise especially for the money.

Again I hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction and at as little cost as possible. I would call Klipsch directly first to see what they may be willing to do before you go out of pocket. One of my favorite sayings is "You do not receive if you do not ask"!!!!
post #6 of 28 Old 01-19-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
candjhuntley,

Can I make another suggestion. It sounds like to me that one of the wires has come loose inside the subwoofer. Remove the screws that are holding the amp on the sub and carefully tip it out and see if one of the wires have come loose. This will not void the warranty or anything. Just plug it back in and you'll be in business.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #7 of 28 Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well - i unscrewed all the screws on the back to tip the amp out - and it didn't budge at all - and i think i might have messed something up as i have a couple of screws that were longer as if they were supposed to screw into something behind the amp that they are not connecting with - like it moved. I hope i didn't make things worse - i'm just rather frustrated - any other thoughts? Should i force it?

Also - i just checked and the light is NOT changing from red to blue when i take the receiver to the place where it should be sending a signal to teh sub for testing - so could this be a receiver issue?
post #8 of 28 Old 01-20-2010, 03:40 AM

Klipsch has a habit of mounting the transformer that way. It's probably what you've unscrewed. You'll have to take it out now for sure to get those nuts and remount it.
post #9 of 28 Old 01-20-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

ok - so how do i get it out when i took out every screw and it wasn't budging at all? Perhaps google would help me - but it just didn't want to do anything. Thanks for letting me know though - it did sound like something dropped when i unscrewed one of them.
post #10 of 28 Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 AM

Liked: 11
You may need to use a putty knife to go around the edge of the amp and gently pry it up. A foam or rubber gasket is used to seal the amp to the enclosure and over time it has become an adhesive due to heat and pressure.

Just use care so you don't damage the enclosure finish any more than neccesary (or at ALL).

After you get the amp loose and refasten the parts that came off, you will need to replace the damaged gasket material before putting it back together. IF you are lucky enough to get it apart without damaging the gasket, so much the better.

Best of Luck,

Bill C
post #11 of 28 Old 01-21-2010, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm... that doesn't sound promising. Where do i get a new gasket to replace the damaged one (for i KNOW there will be damage )? And what if i put it back together - all the connections are good, and it STILL doesn't work, does that mean a bad amp?
post #12 of 28 Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candjhuntley View Post

Hmm... that doesn't sound promising. Where do i get a new gasket to replace the damaged one (for i KNOW there will be damage )? And what if i put it back together - all the connections are good, and it STILL doesn't work, does that mean a bad amp?

If you are careful you will not damage the gasket. If all connections are good inside the subwoofer and it still does not work you still will need to take the amp out anyway and send it to Klipsch for repair. You very rarely have to send the entire sub in for repair. I had to do this twice to my Velodyne subwoofer over an 8 year period. Just the amp not the driver.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #13 of 28 Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm... even using a putty knife - i was unable to get back behind the plate for the amp - am i missing something?
post #14 of 28 Old 01-21-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

1-800-klipsch (1-800-554-7724)

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #15 of 28 Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

You might want to read this too:
http://community.klipsch.com/forums/...3.aspx#1269033

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #16 of 28 Old 01-21-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for that link Home - as that's EXACTLY my problem! I did get the amp out without damaging the gasket - but i found his directions a little difficult to understand with what i was looking at - i've contacted him for clarification - so hopefully i'll see a happy ending!
post #17 of 28 Old 01-21-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Let me make a better suggestion. Get a new sub.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #18 of 28 Old 01-21-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ha! I wish - but i already talked about it with the Mrs, who actually isn't opposed to it - but we just don't have the budget for it, and won't for a while (Thanks Dave Ramsey) - so fixing is just about my only option right now
post #19 of 28 Old 01-21-2010, 01:51 PM

Well that may mean it is just sealed really tight or the gasket has kind of melted, kind of gluing the amp and enclosure together. I would suggest that you see if you can remove the driver itself. There should be screws holding it in the enclosure. See if you can remove it and see if there are any wires that have come disconnected.

Be careful for a couple of reasons. Make sure you have pressure on the driver when you remove the last screw so that it does not fall out, possibly damaging the driver flange, the enclosure, or even the floor. Also make sure you take it out slowly as you may "Un-plug" the wires for the driver if they are not very long.

This way you can hopefully see what is going on in there.

Best of luck to you.
post #20 of 28 Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 AM

I know this is an old thread but I have a Klipsch subwoofer Synergy 10. It stopped working years ago after very minimal use. I have finally got around to fixing it. I have tried just about everything... even taking out the circuit board to see if there were any loose connections.
It powers up (since the blue light comes on when I plug it in and turn it on) but no sound comes out. When I put the RCA plug into the other input on the sub, the amp makes a slight sound but then nothing.
post #21 of 28 Old 07-15-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Sub-10 and Sub-12 have bash amps and they are notorious on those two models to break down intermittently. I still have a sub-12 and the amp gave in within first 3 months. Had the amp replaced and it still works after 3 years though.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #22 of 28 Old 07-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Nevermind! I switched out the cable again and it worked this time. Have no idea why....was using an expensive Monster Cable that the Best Buy guy had suggested. Was specifically for subs. Now I am using a cheap component cable and it is working fine. Jeez
post #23 of 28 Old 07-15-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Happy recovery. Sometimes the simplest are the biggest solutions.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #24 of 28 Old 08-05-2013, 02:55 AM

Well, nevermind. It stopped working again. I do believe it is a driver problem. I am able to get a driver from a Klipsch RPW-10 subwoofer for cheap....would this work in my Synergy Sub-10?

I am at a loss because the Sub looks brand-new with absolutely no defects. These sell for over $400 new and now it is just a huge paperweight. There are refurbished subs around for sale for $150. Would it be more feasible to sell my non-working sub on eBay for parts or something and buy a different brand sub?
post #25 of 28 Old 08-05-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Synergy Sub-10 and Sub-12 are good value subs but are notorious for their amps. I don't think rpw-10 driver will optimally work in sub-10 enclosure. There is a lot more to it than just the driver size.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #26 of 28 Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have two of these Sub-10's and they both went out recently at the same time. Were working perfectly, then one day no sound. Unplugged them for a while, plugged them back in, and they worked again for about a week. Now they went out again and seem to be out for good. I'm going to try and open them up and see if any connections have come loose, but barring that I am done with them. Even though the amps going bad is a known issue, Klipsch still wants to charge $160 for them w/ only a 1 year warranty. For a while they would sell refurb'd ones for $60 (see this thread) but they no longer offer them.
post #27 of 28 Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Klipsch support recommends to remove the 10 outer screws when removing the amp. Then with about 4 inches of slack in the power cord, jerk it upwards away from the unit while the subwoofer is laid down on its face. If the first jerk doesn't work, then increase the slack to 6 inches and try again. I was able to dislodge after the second pull. The amp is not sealed with silicon. Unfortunately I can't figure out what is wrong with mine... I can't identify or smell any burnt parts. I tried all the usual troubleshooting (changing cables, sources, etc.) I still get low output power from the sub at highest gain and nothing at 90 and below. I think I will have to fork out 160.00 for a new amp from Klipsch.
post #28 of 28 Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Try a contact cleaner on the gain potentiometer. You need a couple of drops inside it through narrow opening. Give it a couple of hard windings clock/anti-clock wise 3-4 times and let it dry completely for a couple of hours. I think this will work.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page